PDA

View Full Version : pieces, pieces ...dumb question?

Larry L
October 1st, 2003, 05:48 PM
Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

Mu Young Lee
October 1st, 2003, 06:34 PM
On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Larry L wrote:

> Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
> cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
> flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
> for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

Short tubes are easier to strap to a backpack or even a fanny pack when
hiking.

Mu

Skwala
October 1st, 2003, 06:41 PM
"Larry L" > wrote in message
> Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
> cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
> flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any
"reason"
> for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

I bought a 3 piece Winston IM 6 8.5 6 WT back in the '90's because it was
the first Winston that had an action I liked, faster than the same model in
2 piece.

Other than that, some models will fit into a lap top bag, which means you
can pot hole on the way home from work, which is kinda cool.

Skwala

rb608
October 1st, 2003, 06:44 PM
"Larry L" > wrote in message
> Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
> cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
> flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any
"reason"
> for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

I doubt it. Ease of transport has gotta be the #1 reason all rods aren't
one big piece. There's the consideration of breakage, I suppose, in that
you only need to rebuild half a rod when you break it; but I think that's a
benefit, not a reason.

Joe F.

brians
October 1st, 2003, 07:01 PM
Larry L wrote:

> Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
> cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
> flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
> for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

Backpacking rod. Those cool long tubes tend to get hung up on stuff.

brians

Larry L
October 1st, 2003, 07:32 PM
"rw" > wrote

> Also, don't minimize the value of fitting the rod in carry-on luggage.
> You may not ever fly to fish somewhere, but many others do.

hehe, that's why I said "for me" in the post

.... just trying to decide whether to buy 2 or 4 piece
... I seriously doubt I'll ever backpack again, my right ankle and both
knees hurt so badly I can barely walk some days,
....... but "fits in pack" seems nice in a romantic daydreaming sort of way
....... and daydreaming is a big part of fly fishing

rw
October 1st, 2003, 07:49 PM
Larry L wrote:
> Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
> cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
> flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
> for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

A five-piece 8'6" rod fits comfortably in a saddle bag or a backpack.

Also, don't minimize the value of fitting the rod in carry-on luggage.
You may not ever fly to fish somewhere, but many others do.

Flyfish
October 1st, 2003, 10:18 PM
brians > wrote in
:

> Larry L wrote:
>
>> Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should"
>> come in cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I
>> can't imagine flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides
>> is there any "reason" for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason
>
> Backpacking rod. Those cool long tubes tend to get hung up on stuff.
>
> brians

On the other hand the cool long tubes can make and excellent walking stick

Flyfish

mr rapidan
October 2nd, 2003, 12:11 AM
I fish mostly with a 5 piece 6'9" 3 wt Winston LT. I know you don't
care about flying, but it does fit right in my carry on. I check one
or two backup rods, and I'm glad I don't have to lug a big rod tube
around the airport, and that the little rod tube I do carry hides in
my carry on. Like most everyone else is saying, it also fits
completely into a small day pack. For some reason, I like being able
to put all my fishing stuff into a daypack and look just like a
dayhiker as I'm getting to brookie streams. I'm happy not advertising
that I'm fishing. For longer backcountry excursions, I'd rather have
a smaller rod tube completely inside my backpack than a larger rod
tube stuck in a sleeve and poking way above the top of my pack. And
even packing the rod into a gear bag to throw in the vehicle, and
getting it in and out of the front door at home is easier. What's not
to like? You can even hide it in your house, if getting it by SWMBO
is a factor. Kidding.

Peter Charles
October 2nd, 2003, 12:50 AM
On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:48:24 GMT, "Larry L"
> wrote:

>Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
>cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
>flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
>for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

they fit in the trunk of a little car

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Frank Church
October 2nd, 2003, 02:05 AM
"Flyfish" > wrote in message
.. .
> brians > wrote in

....hey Dave, send me your unmunged address at my new address below. This DSL
really rocks!

Frank Church
tailing_loops AT verizon DOT net

Wayne Knight
October 2nd, 2003, 03:19 AM
"Larry L" > wrote in message
> is there any "reason"
> for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

By definition a two piece rod....is multi piece <g>

But to answer your question, easier to pack em while hiking as others have
stated.

Conan the Librarian
October 2nd, 2003, 01:19 PM
Flyfish > wrote in message >...

> On the other hand the cool long tubes can make and excellent walking stick

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one who used them that
way. I've been using the aluminum tube that my old (ca. 1980) Fenwick
HMG 8 wt. came in as the case for my new Clearwater 5 wt., and I
usually don't even bother rigging up until I get down to the
water's-edge. (I kept the crappy PVC case that the Cleawater came in,
but just use it to store the Fenwick.) One of my favorite places to
fish involves a decent hike that ends up going down some steep rock
cliffs to get to the water. The tube is just perfect as a "hiking
aid" (especially when going back up after a day of fishing and
hiking).

After reading some of the post 9-11 stories about airlines and
flyrods, I was wishing I had a three-piece when I flew to Montana last
month, but found that the airline was OK about me carrying the case on
the plane. When we were leaving Austin I was resigned to probably
having to check it, but the gate agent looked at the length of the
case and told me to go ahead and take it onboard and stow it in the
overhead. (It just barely fit in one of the long bins.)

When we connected in SLC, they let me carry it through the gate,
and then I just checked it plane-side. (No way it would have fit in
an overhead on the puddlejumper we flew to W. Yellowstone.) The same
thing happened on the way back, so all-in-all, it wasn't too much of a
hassle getting my rod there and back safely.

Chuck Vance

Peter Charles
October 2nd, 2003, 08:26 PM
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 14:59:19 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
wrote:

>On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:48:24 GMT, "Larry L"
> wrote:
>
>>Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should" come in
>>cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
>>flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
>>for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason
>

> If you just happen to be one of those folks who
> just happen to break a rod or two or three or four
> every once in a while, multi-multis are useful
> `cause you can keep one, or even a set, in the
> car as backup. This could come in handy if
> someone you are fishing with happens to have
> the bad karma, even if you yourself have never
> ever - and will never ever - break a rod.

like someone you know, eh? :)

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Peter Charles
October 2nd, 2003, 10:58 PM
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:20:09 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:26:12 -0400, Peter Charles
> wrote:
>

>>like someone you know, eh? :)
>>
>>Peter
>>

> Sigh.

BTW, I sent you an email a while back (I think it was to 115) -- are
you checking the 116 or is this just a throwaway?

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

IRBY BAUDOUIN
October 4th, 2003, 11:11 AM
If you haven't sprung the bucks yet, and don't want to spend a buttload of
money, take a look at http://www.marchbrown.com/BoyScouts/BoyScouts.htm This
guy is offering a 7PC 6wt rod normally $255 for $90 or so after you fill in
the word helpfull.

"Larry L" > wrote in message

> "rw" > wrote
> >
> > Also, don't minimize the value of fitting the rod in carry-on luggage.
> > You may not ever fly to fish somewhere, but many others do.
> >

> hehe, that's why I said "for me" in the post
>
> .... just trying to decide whether to buy 2 or 4 piece
> ... I seriously doubt I'll ever backpack again, my right ankle and both
> knees hurt so badly I can barely walk some days,
> ...... but "fits in pack" seems nice in a romantic daydreaming sort of way
> ...... and daydreaming is a big part of fly fishing

Brimbum
October 12th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Larry wrote:>Every rod I own is two piece and I tend to think fly rods "should"
come in
>cool long tubes. Besides the ( for me non-existent .. I can't imagine
>flying somewhere to fish ) possibility of plane rides is there any "reason"
>for a multi-piece rod ? ... functional reason

I see your point and thought that way for quite a few years lately and found a
lot of good used 2 piece rods at very good prices, but lately I have been
restoring an old BMW motorcycle, so I have been usiing that as an excuse to get
more rods that have 3 or more pieces. Two piece rods are a pain in the ass on a
motorcycle as far as I am concerned.

Big Dale