PDA

View Full Version : help id

Sam Bauer
April 22nd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Caught what looks to be a carp but mouth like a trout. Could it be a giant
skipjack? It came from the Ohio River and weighed over 23 lbs.
Sam

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
April 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
"Sam Bauer" > wrote in message
> Caught what looks to be a carp but mouth like a trout. Could it be a
> giant skipjack? It came from the Ohio River and weighed over 23 lbs.
> Sam

It looks to me like an Asian Grass Carp. Check out this link and scroll
down to the photo of three carp together.

http://www.fws.gov/midwest/LaCrosseFisheries/projects/asian_carp.html
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Musashi
April 23rd, 2007, 02:49 AM
"Sam Bauer" > wrote in message
> Caught what looks to be a carp but mouth like a trout. Could it be a
giant
> skipjack? It came from the Ohio River and weighed over 23 lbs.
> Sam

Most likely a Grass Carp (White Amur)
http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/plants/management/images/grass_carp.jpg
If not, possibly Black Carp.
I don't suppose you have another photo that shows the head?
How did you catch him?

Musashi
April 23rd, 2007, 03:03 AM
http://fisc.er.usgs.gov/Carp_ID/index.html

Sam Bauer
April 26th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Caught him on a white curly tail jig next to a rocky bank below a hot water
discharge.
Sam

--
The early bird gets the worm,
But the second mouse gets the cheese!
"Musashi" > wrote in message
t...

> "Sam Bauer" > wrote in message
>> Caught what looks to be a carp but mouth like a trout. Could it be a
> giant
>> skipjack? It came from the Ohio River and weighed over 23 lbs.
>> Sam
>>

> Most likely a Grass Carp (White Amur)
> http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/plants/management/images/grass_carp.jpg
> If not, possibly Black Carp.
> I don't suppose you have another photo that shows the head?
> How did you catch him?

Musashi
April 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks you for the info.
I had no idea they were carnivorous
despite their size and mouth. I had always thought all
they ever ate was algae and plants.