PDA

View Full Version : nc bass

jeff
April 23rd, 2007, 12:34 AM
went for the final shad fishing trip...water was too high and i guess
the shad were done spawning...so, we went farther up the cypress creek
and caught several amall bass...this was the largest.

Opus--Mark H. Bowen
April 23rd, 2007, 01:02 AM
"jeff" > wrote in message
> went for the final shad fishing trip...water was too high and i guess
> the shad were done spawning...so, we went farther up the cypress creek
> and caught several amall bass...this was the largest.

Nice fish Jeff!

Btw, I haven't heard back from you about times and places for our campin'
trip?

Op

Fishking
April 23rd, 2007, 03:14 AM
Jeff drop me an e-mail, would like to ask you a few questions

--
WWW.GOTOBAITS.COM
PREMIUM HAND POURED BAITS
"jeff" > wrote in message
> went for the final shad fishing trip...water was too high and i guess
> the shad were done spawning...so, we went farther up the cypress creek
> and caught several amall bass...this was the largest.

rw
April 23rd, 2007, 04:46 AM
jeff wrote:
> went for the final shad fishing trip...water was too high and i guess
> the shad were done spawning...so, we went farther up the cypress creek
> and caught several amall bass...this was the largest.

Nice. I'm really impressed with the variety of the fishing you're doing.

That beard's getting whiter with every photo, Jeff. :-)

jeff
April 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Fishking wrote:

> Jeff drop me an e-mail, would like to ask you a few questions

my e-mail is jlm3 at mindspring dot com or jmiller110 at suddenlink dot
net. the above e-mail is munged to avoid spam.

jeff

jeff
April 23rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
rw wrote:

> jeff wrote:
>
>> went for the final shad fishing trip...water was too high and i guess
>> the shad were done spawning...so, we went farther up the cypress creek
>> and caught several amall bass...this was the largest.

> Nice. I'm really impressed with the variety of the fishing you're doing.
>
> That beard's getting whiter with every photo, Jeff. :-)

....for some reason, fishing is the one activity that has kept its hold
on me. i'm still in the hunt for a billfish...and i'd like to try for
the alaska salmon and halibut one of these days.

as far as the beard and hair...i'd like to think it's a photo anomaly or
that it's getting bleached out by the sun...but, alas, age, stress, poor
nutrition, no exercise, very poor genetic stock, and black rum probably
have more to do with it.

jeff

Willi
April 23rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
jeff wrote:

> ...for some reason, fishing is the one activity that has kept its hold
> on me. i'm still in the hunt for a billfish...

I heard that the Pacific coast of Guatemala is the place to go. Using
fly rods, people are getting 30+ Sailfish hookups a day! (Well you could
use gear if you felt you had to) They tease in the Sailfish right next
to the boat and when they pull away the teasers, the Sailfish light up
and will hit anything.

Willi

daytripper
April 23rd, 2007, 04:49 PM
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 07:17:41 -0600, Willi > wrote:

>jeff wrote:
>

>> ...for some reason, fishing is the one activity that has kept its hold
>> on me. i'm still in the hunt for a billfish...
>

>I heard that the Pacific coast of Guatemala is the place to go. Using
>fly rods, people are getting 30+ Sailfish hookups a day! (Well you could
>use gear if you felt you had to) They tease in the Sailfish right next
>to the boat and when they pull away the teasers, the Sailfish light up
>and will hit anything.

unethical

;-)

Willi
April 23rd, 2007, 06:16 PM
daytripper wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 07:17:41 -0600, Willi > wrote:
>

>>jeff wrote:
>>

>>>...for some reason, fishing is the one activity that has kept its hold
>>>on me. i'm still in the hunt for a billfish...
>>

>>I heard that the Pacific coast of Guatemala is the place to go. Using
>>fly rods, people are getting 30+ Sailfish hookups a day! (Well you could
>>use gear if you felt you had to) They tease in the Sailfish right next
>>to the boat and when they pull away the teasers, the Sailfish light up
>>and will hit anything.
>

> unethical
>
> ;-)

Probably is as close as you can get to having someone do just about
everything for you. They find the fish, and tease them in close to the
boat. You need some muscle for the fight but not much skill. All you
need to do is lob out the big fly about 15 feet on a 13 weight rod and
fight the fish. The fight however, is amazing!! Think it would be fun
for a couple days.

Willi

Dan[_2_]
April 24th, 2007, 01:21 AM
daytripper wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 07:17:41 -0600, Willi > wrote:
>
>> jeff wrote:
>>
>>> ...for some reason, fishing is the one activity that has kept its hold
>>> on me. i'm still in the hunt for a billfish...
>>

>> I heard that the Pacific coast of Guatemala is the place to go. Using
>> fly rods, people are getting 30+ Sailfish hookups a day! (Well you could
>> use gear if you felt you had to) They tease in the Sailfish right next
>> to the boat and when they pull away the teasers, the Sailfish light up
>> and will hit anything.
>
> unethical
>
> ;-)

Catch and release...

jeff
April 24th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Willi wrote:
> jeff wrote:
>

>> ...for some reason, fishing is the one activity that has kept its hold
>> on me. i'm still in the hunt for a billfish...
>

> I heard that the Pacific coast of Guatemala is the place to go. Using
> fly rods, people are getting 30+ Sailfish hookups a day! (Well you could
> use gear if you felt you had to) They tease in the Sailfish right next
> to the boat and when they pull away the teasers, the Sailfish light up
> and will hit anything.
>
> Willi

guatemala is the place. oddly, a group from here set a record for
billfish caught in one day...i think it was something like 140 or 150.

i've read about the flyfishing methods, but it's not really flyfishing
to me. more like snagging salmon. ...something about it just hasn't
interested me in the same way as employing the traditional carolina
methods using ballyhoo...but i'd love to go down and see it, probably
try it... still, it seems almost like snagging a fish instead of
tricking it to come up for the proper lure fair and square. <g> some
folks do the same thing with drop baits here... they put out huge bars
with lots of teasers and when a billfish swims in, they pull in the
teasers and drop a naked ballyhoo or other baitfish back to it. it's a
popular approach. i'm fairly basic in my methods, usually because i've
no other choice because of the size of my boat and the difficulty in
running the boat and the baits by myself or just with jim on board. i've
not been pulling any teasers, but i reckon i'll give it a try this year
with my ballyhoo spread pulled behind the teasers. i doubt i'll be able
to run the boat, pull in teasers, and then drop the bait to an awaiting
billfish...so the ******* will need to eat a properly presented and
trolled bait i rigged and tied on myself. part of this deal is my desire
to learn and do the stuff myself instead of simply having someone hand
me a rod with a hooked fish. my stubborn, contrary nature i guess.

jeff

i do hope to chase some dolphin with a flyrod this year if the weather
will cooperate.

jeffc[_2_]
April 25th, 2007, 03:05 AM
"jeff" > wrote in message

> as far as the beard and hair...i'd like to think it's a photo anomaly or
> that it's getting bleached out by the sun...but, alas, age, stress, poor
> nutrition, no exercise, very poor genetic stock, and black rum probably
> have more to do with it.

Other than that though, I think you've got a lot going for you!

rw
April 25th, 2007, 03:57 AM
jeffc wrote:
> "jeff" > wrote in message
>
>>as far as the beard and hair...i'd like to think it's a photo anomaly or
>>that it's getting bleached out by the sun...but, alas, age, stress, poor
>>nutrition, no exercise, very poor genetic stock, and black rum probably
>>have more to do with it.
>

> Other than that though, I think you've got a lot going for you!

Yes, he does, including a great deal of diverse fishing.

My beard would be at least as white as Jeff's if I let it grow to more
than 1/16" long. :-)

My fishing has suffered lately because my life has become complicated
(in a good way), which is why I admire and envy Jeff's opportunities.

I am, however, going to fish for Kings on Lake Creek, AK in early July.
Can't wait. Got to start tying. The only thing that's stopping me is the
onerous task of deciding what materials I need and ordering them.
Tomorrow, for sure.

jeff
April 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM
jeffc wrote:
> "jeff" > wrote in message
>
>>as far as the beard and hair...i'd like to think it's a photo anomaly or
>>that it's getting bleached out by the sun...but, alas, age, stress, poor
>>nutrition, no exercise, very poor genetic stock, and black rum probably
>>have more to do with it.
>

> Other than that though, I think you've got a lot going for you!

yeah, yeah...i hear the clackety-clack of the hearse horse hoofs
undertone in your note.

good to hear from you.

jeff

jeff
April 25th, 2007, 01:46 PM
rw wrote:

> My fishing has suffered lately because my life has become complicated
> (in a good way)...

anything that interferes with fishing can't be good...well, almost
anything. but, good complications ought to have a fishing trip attached
to them somewhere, eh?

> I am, however, going to fish for Kings on Lake Creek, AK in early July.
> Can't wait. Got to start tying. The only thing that's stopping me is the
> onerous task of deciding what materials I need and ordering them.
> Tomorrow, for sure.

i'm looking forward to your photos and info following that trip. i
trust and depend on the info and advice you, willi, dan'l, and bruiser
give about fishing, and often govern my choices about flyfishing based
on y'all's experiences and advice. anyway...i need to send you a
friend's name in case you run up on him. he left here several years
ago, drove to alaska with his dog, fished through the west and ended up
in alaska where he's become a bush pilot and works there year round. i
know it's a big place, but i suspect there are common points of that
geography where pilots for outfitters intersect. he'd be a good local
contact...he likes to go to lesser known spots....

jeff

rw
April 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
jeff wrote:

> i'm looking forward to your photos and info following that trip. i
> trust and depend on the info and advice you, willi, dan'l, and bruiser
> give about fishing, and often govern my choices about flyfishing based
> on y'all's experiences and advice. anyway...i need to send you a
> friend's name in case you run up on him. he left here several years
> ago, drove to alaska with his dog, fished through the west and ended up
> in alaska where he's become a bush pilot and works there year round. i
> know it's a big place, but i suspect there are common points of that
> geography where pilots for outfitters intersect. he'd be a good local
> contact...he likes to go to lesser known spots....

The summer before last I met a guy at the fly-in spot at the Kanektok
headwaters (in AK) who said he knew you. I can't remember his name.
Maybe Chas or Willi can recall it. He was guiding, working (I believe)
with the Orvis outfit in Boone. He also guides for bonefish in the
Bahamas. He was a classic NC good ol' boy.

You have to try AK some time, Jeff. It will blow your mind.

jeff
April 26th, 2007, 02:54 AM
rw wrote:

> The summer before last I met a guy at the fly-in spot at the Kanektok
> headwaters (in AK) who said he knew you. I can't remember his name.
> Maybe Chas or Willi can recall it. He was guiding, working (I believe)
> with the Orvis outfit in Boone. He also guides for bonefish in the
> Bahamas. He was a classic NC good ol' boy.
>
> You have to try AK some time, Jeff. It will blow your mind.

it was hayden or theo copeland from appalachian anglers between boone
and foscoe. as good as they get in my opinion...

the pilot's name is craig ricks...

alaska is on my to do list...but, it's a long haul from here. maybe in
the next few years.

rw
April 26th, 2007, 08:47 AM
jeff wrote:
> rw wrote:
>

>> The summer before last I met a guy at the fly-in spot at the Kanektok
>> headwaters (in AK) who said he knew you. I can't remember his name.
>> Maybe Chas or Willi can recall it. He was guiding, working (I believe)
>> with the Orvis outfit in Boone. He also guides for bonefish in the
>> Bahamas. He was a classic NC good ol' boy.
>>
>> You have to try AK some time, Jeff. It will blow your mind.
>>

> it was hayden or theo copeland from appalachian anglers between boone
> and foscoe. as good as they get in my opinion...

That's it -- Hayden. It was really strange to come across someone with a
mutual acquaintance in the remote Alaskan wilderness.

> the pilot's name is craig ricks...

I was told that the pilot was the son of the owner of the plane. He
really screwed up, putting the Grumman Goose on its nose while running
it up onto the beach. Fortunately, the plane was righted with no damage.

> alaska is on my to do list...but, it's a long haul from here. maybe in
> the next few years.

Long haul? It's just a slightly longer flight. A self-guided float trip
can be pretty affordable.

----

jeff
April 26th, 2007, 12:53 PM
rw wrote:

>> the pilot's name is craig ricks...
>

> I was told that the pilot was the son of the owner of the plane. He
> really screwed up, putting the Grumman Goose on its nose while running
> it up onto the beach. Fortunately, the plane was righted with no damage.

i meant the fella who "lit off" for the wilds of alaska from here in
greenville. he was a carpenter. one day, he just quit...had received
his pilot's license...loaded up his truck and left for alaska with no
job or idea where he'd end up. we figured he'd be back in a year. that
was about 4 years ago. he does all kinds of piloting up there. lives
with a native alaskan woman last i heard.

> Long haul? It's just a slightly longer flight. A self-guided float trip
> can be pretty affordable.

for some reason - i guess because i perceive alaska as an immense
geography - it seems like it would be almost twice the distance as from
here to montana, and then there's the small plane need once in alaska. i
have a near flight fear meltdown on that trip to montana, but i'm doing
better... well, i was until your anecdote above. <g> when i go, i'll
either find the most affordable remote cabin/tent/lodge outfit or try to
tag along with someone like you who has the experience with self-guided
trips.

jeff