PDA

View Full Version : Wading with "parts"

Wayne Knight
October 2nd, 2003, 04:38 PM
Last May when I met up with Opie to fish his home water, I had a hell of a
time walking up the trail upstream due to some back and hip pain which had
been previously diagnosed as "arthritis". The hip has not gotten any better
and is now being termed degenerative. Diet and PT is not helping so it looks
like I'm going to have to have some hip replacement surgery this winter and
possibly a knee replacement too.

Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major joint
replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
want to give this up.

Thanks

Kevin Vang
October 2nd, 2003, 04:57 PM
Wayne Knight wrote:

> Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major joint
> replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
> physical activities associated with fishing?

Semi-relevant data point: I know a guy who was had two hips
and a knee replaced, and he plays golf several times a week.

Even less relevant: The guy who lives across the street from
me had both hips replaced last year. I don't know if he gets
much physical activity, but the man looks 20 years younger.
I see him up and about now, and he doesn't have a look of pain
on his face anymore.

Not that medical advice from me is worth much, but you should
be ok to fish. Good luck with it,

Kevin

Larry L
October 2nd, 2003, 05:05 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote

The guy that rents my pasture had both hips replaced. He doesn't dance his
way around, chasing his cows, but he has mentioned that the pain is so much
better that it was well worth it

Larry L
October 2nd, 2003, 05:23 PM
Ah, and this summer I happened on an aluminum walking stick, left behind by
someone at henry's Fork I repaired the handle, added a cord and small clip
and now carry it even on "easy wading" streams .... it helps my bad knees to
have just a little support for big steps and rough terrain ... I felt silly,
old, and certain that everyone that saw me was laughing <g> the first time,
but am glad to have it now.

And I'm sure you know it, but a bottle of good pain pills fits in a vest
pocket ... I carry two types that I was told make a good mix by a pharacist

Mark Anderson
October 2nd, 2003, 05:25 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
.com...

<snip>

> Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major
joint
> replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
> physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
> Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
> want to give this up.
>
> Thanks

Greetings Wayne and Group:
Heck, my Mom, (who is now 76), had hip replacement surgery 15 years ago.
She was always an avid hiker, bicycler and other wise outdoor fantatic.

She still is.

She works every day as a volunteer at the Native Plant Restoration Project
at Asilomar State Park here in CA. This requires that she not only walk a
lot, but also bend, stoop, shovel, plant... you get the idea. She says her
"new" hip is BETTER than the "old" one because she can actually walk more
than she used to. Again, her surgery was a long time ago now.
Oh, and she still hikes _and_ walks to work each day (which itself is
about 3 miles round trip.) OK, it ain't fishing, but she also does a lot of
tide-pooling. Does that count?
Go get'em Wayne!
Cheers, and tight lines.
-Mark

Dave LaCourse
October 2nd, 2003, 07:33 PM
Wayne writes:

>Last May when I met up with Opie to fish his home water, I had a hell of a
>time walking up the trail upstream due to some back and hip pain which had
>been previously diagnosed as "arthritis". The hip has not gotten any better
>and is now being termed degenerative. Diet and PT is not helping so it looks
>like I'm going to have to have some hip replacement surgery this winter and
>possibly a knee replacement too.

Welcome to the old man's club. My feet are in constant pain from neoropathy,
while my knees, hips, and especially my hands are painful from arthritis. I
find it difficult and painful to "get started", but once moving everything
feels a little better. I have a friend who had his knees done. He's older
than me and doesn't wade very often, but he gets around fine, even better than
I do at times.

Good luck. As Peter Charles said not to long ago, "If it doesn't hurt, it
probably ain't workin'."

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

George
October 2nd, 2003, 07:55 PM
About 15 years ago, my mother (84) fell and shattered her hip so she got a
replacement. She did limp after that but she got around better and felt
better. Best of luck to you...

George

"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
.com...
> Last May when I met up with Opie to fish his home water, I had a hell of a
> time walking up the trail upstream due to some back and hip pain which had
> been previously diagnosed as "arthritis". The hip has not gotten any
better
> and is now being termed degenerative. Diet and PT is not helping so it
looks
> like I'm going to have to have some hip replacement surgery this winter
and
> possibly a knee replacement too.
>
> Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major
joint
> replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
> physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
> Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
> want to give this up.
>
> Thanks

Jeff Taylor
October 2nd, 2003, 08:30 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
.com...

> Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major
joint
> replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
> physical activities associated with fishing?

My Dad has good friend (Wes) in his middle 80's that had both hips and a
knee replaced over the
last 5 years. I saw Wes a couple days after his last hip replacement and he
was up and around walking, (he wasn't skipping around, however I figured he
would be flat on his back) I was amazed considering what actually takes
place with this type of surgery.
He gets around pretty good, tends bar twice a week at the local watering
hole and shoots a mean game of pool. He's an ornery old coot!

Best of luck with your hip,
Jeff

Jim Ray
October 2nd, 2003, 09:16 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
.com...
> Last May when I met up with Opie to fish his home water, I had a hell of a
> time walking up the trail upstream due to some back and hip pain which had
> been previously diagnosed as "arthritis". The hip has not gotten any
better
> and is now being termed degenerative. Diet and PT is not helping so it
looks
> like I'm going to have to have some hip replacement surgery this winter
and
> possibly a knee replacement too.
>
> Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major
joint
> replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
> physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
> Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
> want to give this up.
>
> Thanks

Wayne:

I have a good friend that has had both hips replaced at the ripe old age of
about 45. For some reason, the doc gave him handicapped tags for his car
(5yr expiration). They sure do help him get a parking place right by the
tennis courts for his matches 2 or 3 times a week! And he plays SERIOUS
tennis.

Good luck,

Jim Ray

ArnSaga
October 2nd, 2003, 09:36 PM
<< "Wayne Knight" >><BR><BR>
<< Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major joint
replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
physical activities associated with fishing >><BR><BR>

A friend of mine was able to play low impact softball (slow pitch, over-run the
bases, no sliding) in his late 50s after replacing both knees. Most relevant
example I have.
Glenn
GKT

Louis Owen
October 2nd, 2003, 09:46 PM
I bought a Simms wading staff to help me get on the water before my broken
leg was completely healed and it worked.. Fantastic piece of equipment if
you need it.

Lou
"Larry L" > wrote in message
> Ah, and this summer I happened on an aluminum walking stick, left behind
by
> someone at henry's Fork I repaired the handle, added a cord and small
clip
> and now carry it even on "easy wading" streams .... it helps my bad knees
> have just a little support for big steps and rough terrain ... I felt
silly,
> old, and certain that everyone that saw me was laughing <g> the first
time,
> but am glad to have it now.
>
> And I'm sure you know it, but a bottle of good pain pills fits in a vest
> pocket ... I carry two types that I was told make a good mix by a
pharacist

slenon
October 2nd, 2003, 09:57 PM
>Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major joint
>replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
>physical activities associated with fishing?

It's going to depend upon the skill of your surgeon, how effective your
rehab is, and how much you want to continue doing what you've done before.
Some parts can be repaired or replaced but the sum is never quite what it
was when we were new from the box. A good outcome will leave you with less
pain than you currently have and perhaps greater mobility. There will be
trade offs. You may trip metal detectors in airports and delay your fellow
passengers.

Tell your surgeon your concerns going in and ask for physical therapy and
rehab that will help you realize those concerns. Hopefully your health
insurance carrier will allow it.

But, there's always a disclaimer or two. Don't expect perfection in joint
replacement. You'll be able to predict cold fronts without watching TV.

Joint repair and replacement has come a long way in the last 30 years.
We've switched from stainless to titanium. We've got better methods to open
and close the incisions. And collectively, the surgeons have lots of
experience doing them.

Good luck

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

slenon
October 2nd, 2003, 09:59 PM
>As Peter Charles said not to long ago, "If it doesn't hurt, it probably
ain't workin'."
>Dave

Ain't that the truth. But look on the bright side. When you wake up
hurting, you know you can skip reading the obit page cause your name won't
be there that morning.

Rheumatoid or degenerative arthritis? Neuropathy secondary to injury?

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Larry L
October 2nd, 2003, 10:05 PM
"rw" > wrote

> My previous Border Collie had a hip replacement. She lived a long,
> active life and was a pretty decent Frisbee catcher.

At least one National Retriever Field Trial Champion won that most
prestigious of all retriever awards on plastic hips

rw
October 2nd, 2003, 10:56 PM
ArnSaga wrote:
> << "Wayne Knight" >><BR><BR>
> << Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major joint
> replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
> physical activities associated with fishing >><BR><BR>
>
> A friend of mine was able to play low impact softball (slow pitch, over-run the
> bases, no sliding) in his late 50s after replacing both knees. Most relevant
> example I have.

My previous Border Collie had a hip replacement. She lived a long,
active life and was a pretty decent Frisbee catcher.

When I hooked up with Marshall Krassner at Silver Creek this summer, our
guide, Phil Crabtree (who, as it turned out, used to live next-door to
my place in Stanley years ago), had recently had a knee replacement. He
looked like he was getting around well.

Herman Nijland
October 2nd, 2003, 11:06 PM
Kevin Vang wrote:

> Wayne Knight wrote:
>
>> Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major
>> joint
>> replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
>> physical activities associated with fishing?
>

> Semi-relevant data point: I know a guy who was had two hips
> and a knee replaced, and he plays golf several times a week.
>
> Even less relevant: The guy who lives across the street from
> me had both hips replaced last year. I don't know if he gets
> much physical activity, but the man looks 20 years younger.
> I see him up and about now, and he doesn't have a look of pain
> on his face anymore.
>
> Not that medical advice from me is worth much, but you should
> be ok to fish. Good luck with it,
>
> Kevin

When I'm fishing with certain friends I have my joint replaced every
half an hour or so. Didn't interfere with my fishing one bit, or at
least I didn't care less :-)

--
Herman

Darin Minor
October 3rd, 2003, 04:01 AM
I just saw a segment on the news tonight about 2 Seattle docs who have come up
with a new hip replacement procedure. I wasn't able to catch the whole segment,
but they make 2 much smaller cuts and do not cut the muscle. Patients are up and
walking around within a couple of hours of the surgery. This procedure, although
probably rather expensive, would probably get you back out on (in?) the stream
faster.

Darin

October 3rd, 2003, 04:41 AM
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 15:38:49 GMT, "Wayne Knight" >
wrote:

>Last May when I met up with Opie to fish his home water, I had a hell of a
>time walking up the trail upstream due to some back and hip pain which had
>been previously diagnosed as "arthritis". The hip has not gotten any better
>and is now being termed degenerative. Diet and PT is not helping so it looks
>like I'm going to have to have some hip replacement surgery this winter and
>possibly a knee replacement too.
>
>Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major joint
>replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
>physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
>Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
>want to give this up.

I saw something on the osteoporosis newsgroup today in way of a
newspaper item. In Great Britain they're working on a new technique
that makes hip replacement darn near outpatient surgery. They've done
30 so far and kept them all for the conventional lengths of stay, but
they let the 31st patient, a woman, go home something like the next
day. She started climbing steps right away at home. Find the
article, see if you can find the medical cites and maybe try to put
off the surgery until the US starts working with it if you like the
idea?

--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

David Snedeker
October 3rd, 2003, 04:52 AM
Darin Minor wrote in message >...

Hello Darin
My son and I just decided to go over to the Yak Saterday/fish, camp and fish
Sunday morning. He is going to meet an early Sat morning ferry and drive. I
know its last minute but. . . interested? Weve got the tent etc.

Dave

mmcgr
October 3rd, 2003, 06:54 AM
Wayne Knight wrote:
> Last May when I met up with Opie to fish his home water, I had a hell of a
> time walking up the trail upstream due to some back and hip pain which had
> been previously diagnosed as "arthritis". The hip has not gotten any better
> and is now being termed degenerative. Diet and PT is not helping so it looks
> like I'm going to have to have some hip replacement surgery this winter and
> possibly a knee replacement too.
>
> Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major joint
> replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
> physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
> Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
> want to give this up.
>
> Thanks

I usually just lurk on ROFF, but I have something I can contribute here.
At age 54, four years ago, I found myself in need of a hip replacement
due to osteoarthritis. I have been very active all my life, and my
outdoor resume includes things like climbing Denali by other than the
tourist route. I had had to give up running and take up cycling some
years before because of the hip problem.

So I did a lot of research on hip replacements. This is what I found.
The most common method has a lifetime of about 15 years, and then it has
to be redone. The reason is that they use the combination of a metal
ball and a plastic socket. The socket wears, and the wear particles
attack the attachment of the metal part to the femur and loosen it up.
The process is accelerated if you are very active. If you are in your
seventies when you have this done, with your likely level of activity
and expected lifetime, this is not a problem, but it sure is if you are
in your fifties.

So I found out about this surgeon at Orthopaedic Hospital in Los Angeles
who does an all-metal "sports model" type replacement which has a very
low wear rate and would be expected to last the rest of my life. So this
is what I had done you can find out about it at
http://www.jri-oh.com/index.asp

Now there was an all-metal replacement that was in the news a few months
ago because it had a lot of problems, It was made by Sulzer. The one I
got was made by Wright Medical and doesn't seem to have caused any
problems. The other good thing about the type of replacement I got, is
that the ball diameter is about the same as the natural joint. This
means it's more resistant to dislocating than the standard metal
plastic system which uses a relatively small ball to reduce the wear rate.

Anyhow after recovering and rehabilitating, I am not limited in anything
related to fishing I want to do. I didn't go back to running, but I am
cycling pretty intensively and do a couple of fairly strenuous
backpacking trips every year. Here are accounts of a couple from my club
web site
http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fishing_Tales/sanJoaquin/san_joaquin.html
http://www.peninsulaflyfishers.org/Fishing_Tales/kingsMidMcG02/midkings02.html

Anyway, bottom line is that a hip replacement need not doom you to a
sedentary rest of your life.

Mike McGuire

Clark Reid
October 3rd, 2003, 08:55 AM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
.com...
> Last May when I met up with Opie to fish his home water, I had a hell of a
> time walking up the trail upstream due to some back and hip pain which had
> been previously diagnosed as "arthritis". The hip has not gotten any
better
> and is now being termed degenerative. Diet and PT is not helping so it
looks
> like I'm going to have to have some hip replacement surgery this winter
and
> possibly a knee replacement too.
>
> Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major
joint
> replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
> physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
> Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
> want to give this up.
>
> Thanks

I have guided a number of folks with hip replacements and they seem to cope
very well. My father, who doesn't fish anymore due to emphysema, has had
both hips replaced and his mobility increased markedly afterwards. He had
osteoarthritis.

I think you will be fine after the convalesce period and hopefully will be
able to more than you can now but without the pain. I certainly hope so and
wish you well for the procedure.

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

daytripper
October 4th, 2003, 12:06 AM
On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 19:55:16 +1200, "Clark Reid" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
.com...
>> Last May when I met up with Opie to fish his home water, I had a hell of a
>> time walking up the trail upstream due to some back and hip pain which had
>> been previously diagnosed as "arthritis". The hip has not gotten any
>better
>> and is now being termed degenerative. Diet and PT is not helping so it
>looks
>> like I'm going to have to have some hip replacement surgery this winter
>and
>> possibly a knee replacement too.
>>
>> Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major
>joint
>> replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
>> physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
>> Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
>> want to give this up.
>>
>> Thanks
>
>I have guided a number of folks with hip replacements and they seem to cope
>very well. My father, who doesn't fish anymore due to emphysema, has had
>both hips replaced and his mobility increased markedly afterwards. He had
>osteoarthritis.
>
>I think you will be fine after the convalesce period and hopefully will be
>able to more than you can now but without the pain. I certainly hope so and
>wish you well for the procedure.

The last handful of posts should be reassuring wrt the technology, but I think
my fine friend from the flatlands will get a stern pre-op lecture from the
bone smith about "seeking thinness" before they will crack him open...

/daytripper (I hear those no-carb diets are amazingly effective...)

Kevin Vang
October 4th, 2003, 01:26 AM
In article >,
says...
> On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 19:55:16 +1200, "Clark Reid" >
>
> /daytripper (I hear those no-carb diets are amazingly effective...)

My parents went on the Atkins diet last spring, and have lost
about 60 pounds combined. My old man is barely recognizable;
he's got no ass left.

Kevin,
on the "beer and chips diet" myself

Larry L
October 4th, 2003, 02:33 AM
"Larry L" > wrote

> The guy that rents my pasture had both hips replaced. He doesn't dance
his
> way around, chasing his cows, but he has mentioned that the pain is so
much
> better that it was well worth it

I asked him about it just now and he reports that the HIP doesn't hurt at
all now, but his legs do "ache" where the metal and bone meet .... (
shudder ).. the "overall" change is a big net improvement, however

October 6th, 2003, 04:00 AM
On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 22:41:19 -0500, wrote:

>>Do any of you have any experience or know of folks who have had major joint
>>replacement and how they got along with wading, hiking and the other such
>>physical activities associated with fishing? I can accept that a hike from
>>Clingman's dome to Hazel might no longer be an option but I really don't
>>want to give this up.

Just got good news today about my b-i-l who's had his replacement
redone. It's only been about a week and he's happy with it. He had
pain for years, got an artificial, still had some pain and difficulty
walking. Now, a few years later, had it redone in Rochester - Mayo
and he's almost pain free and walking well. Sounds as if he'll golf
again.

Some kinds of medical tech are improving so rapidly that it's
wonderful.