PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Looking Trout

Peter A. Collin
May 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM
This was caught in Turkey. Don't know the common name of the species,
but it is a relative of the brown trout.

Allen Epps
May 2nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
In article >,
"Peter A. Collin" > wrote:

> This was caught in Turkey. Don't know the common name of the species,
> but it is a relative of the brown trout.

Peter,
Could it be "Platysalmo platycephalus" for the latin name? If so the
reference I find says the common name in the UK is Ala Balik and the US
common is Flathead or Turkish trout. I read about those in Prousek's
book "Fly-Fishing the 41st. Here's a couple references. The second shows
a photo and the coloration looks pretty close although the specks are
smaller and the tail looks a little more forked maybe it's just an
immature one. Certainly the one the guys holding looks nice and mature!

http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/19854/all

http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/PicturesSummary.cfm?ID=6209&what=species

Musashi
May 2nd, 2007, 04:13 AM
"Peter A. Collin" > wrote in message
> This was caught in Turkey. Don't know the common name of the species,
> but it is a relative of the brown trout.

Sevan trout?