PDA

View Full Version : fishing tent

jeff
May 6th, 2007, 04:32 PM
my new one-person lightweight tent, w/o fly (fly is on the ground), for
limited 3-season overnight hiking/fishing trips. gonna give it a test
this week.

jeff

Willi
May 6th, 2007, 07:30 PM
jeff wrote:
> my new one-person lightweight tent, w/o fly (fly is on the ground), for
> limited 3-season overnight hiking/fishing trips. gonna give it a test
> this week.
>
> jeff

Cool!

The secret for older guys like us is to keep down the weight. Should be
able to do a two or three dayer around twenty pounds, which is pretty
manageable.

When you come out West we need to backpack into a lake for an overnight.

Willi

Dave LaCourse
May 6th, 2007, 07:47 PM
On Sun, 06 May 2007 11:32:08 -0400, jeff >
wrote:

>my new one-person lightweight tent, w/o fly (fly is on the ground), for
>limited 3-season overnight hiking/fishing trips. gonna give it a test
>this week.

Cool. Joanne made a two-sleeper back packer from Frost Line. Weighs
about 4 pounds. We've used it alot, but it won't hold the dog too.

d;o(

jeff
May 6th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Willi wrote:

> jeff wrote:
>
>> my new one-person lightweight tent, w/o fly (fly is on the ground),
>> for limited 3-season overnight hiking/fishing trips. gonna give it a
>> test this week.
>>
>> jeff

> Cool!
>
> The secret for older guys like us is to keep down the weight. Should be
> able to do a two or three dayer around twenty pounds, which is pretty
> manageable.
>
> When you come out West we need to backpack into a lake for an overnight.
>
> Willi

fawn lake!! ;-)

i'm working on the light load principle...esp. since my belly has
decided to add to the load.

just got a light sleeping bag suitable for 3 seasons in nc (35F)...2
lbs. the tent is about the same. thermarest also...so that leaves 13
pounds for the food, right? <g> don't have a stove or water purifier
yet, and just a few basic (cheap) utensils. like me, this camp-fish
thing is still a quirk in progress.

when i see you again, i'll want you to show me that water
purifier/lemonade system you had on slough creek...that was tasty and
refreshing.

....the secret for this geezer is to hike and camp with those who know
what they are doing (and, when possible, with those who can and will
carry 60 lbs). <g>

jeff

Opus--Mark H. Bowen
May 6th, 2007, 09:06 PM
"Willi" > wrote in message
> jeff wrote:
>> my new one-person lightweight tent, w/o fly (fly is on the ground), for
>> limited 3-season overnight hiking/fishing trips. gonna give it a test
>> this week.
>>
>> jeff

> Cool!
>
> The secret for older guys like us is to keep down the weight. Should be
> able to do a two or three dayer around twenty pounds, which is pretty
> manageable.
>
> When you come out West we need to backpack into a lake for an overnight.
>
> Willi

You're not trying to get him to fall for that 'ol Fawn Lake thing area ya?

Op

jeff
May 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Dave LaCourse wrote:

> On Sun, 06 May 2007 11:32:08 -0400, jeff >
> wrote:
>

>>my new one-person lightweight tent, w/o fly (fly is on the ground), for
>>limited 3-season overnight hiking/fishing trips. gonna give it a test
>>this week.
>

> Cool. Joanne made a two-sleeper back packer from Frost Line. Weighs
> about 4 pounds. We've used it alot, but it won't hold the dog too.
>
> d;o(

joanne made a tent for you!!?? i knew she was talented, but there's
gotta be some limit, eh? just be careful if she makes you a frost-lined
sleeping bag. <g>

trust y'all are well. figure it's nearing time for your annual spring
lakewood jaunt. is the new dog prepared and cabin ready? our sadie is
now 12 and she's slowed down a lot. here she is at leisure, watching me
fiddle with the tent yesterday. it's her bemused, crossed-paws look.

jeff

Opus--Mark H. Bowen
May 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM
"jeff" > wrote in message
> Willi wrote:
>
>> jeff wrote:
>>
>>> my new one-person lightweight tent, w/o fly (fly is on the ground), for
>>> limited 3-season overnight hiking/fishing trips. gonna give it a test
>>> this week.
>>>
>>> jeff

>> Cool!
>>
>> The secret for older guys like us is to keep down the weight. Should be
>> able to do a two or three dayer around twenty pounds, which is pretty
>> manageable.
>>
>> When you come out West we need to backpack into a lake for an overnight.
>>
>> Willi
>
> fawn lake!! ;-)
>
> i'm working on the light load principle...esp. since my belly has decided
> to add to the load.
>
> just got a light sleeping bag suitable for 3 seasons in nc (35F)...2 lbs.
> the tent is about the same. thermarest also...so that leaves 13 pounds for
> the food, right? <g> don't have a stove or water purifier yet, and just
> a few basic (cheap) utensils. like me, this camp-fish thing is still a
> quirk in progress.
>
> when i see you again, i'll want you to show me that water
> purifier/lemonade system you had on slough creek...that was tasty and
> refreshing.
>
> ...the secret for this geezer is to hike and camp with those who know what
> they are doing (and, when possible, with those who can and will carry 60
> lbs). <g>
>
> jeff

It was 75lbs and it won't happen again!

Op

jeff
May 6th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Opus--Mark H. Bowen wrote:
> "jeff" > wrote in message
>
>>Willi wrote:

>>>Cool!
>>>
>>>The secret for older guys like us is to keep down the weight. Should be
>>>able to do a two or three dayer around twenty pounds, which is pretty
>>>manageable.
>>>
>>>When you come out West we need to backpack into a lake for an overnight.
>>>
>>>Willi
>>
>>fawn lake!! ;-)
>>
>>i'm working on the light load principle...esp. since my belly has decided
>>to add to the load.
>>
>>just got a light sleeping bag suitable for 3 seasons in nc (35F)...2 lbs.
>>the tent is about the same. thermarest also...so that leaves 13 pounds for
>>the food, right? <g> don't have a stove or water purifier yet, and just
>>a few basic (cheap) utensils. like me, this camp-fish thing is still a
>>quirk in progress.
>>
>>when i see you again, i'll want you to show me that water
>>purifier/lemonade system you had on slough creek...that was tasty and
>>refreshing.
>>
>>...the secret for this geezer is to hike and camp with those who know what
>>they are doing (and, when possible, with those who can and will carry 60
>>lbs). <g>
>>
>>jeff
>

> It was 75lbs and it won't happen again!
>
> Op

uh oh... just don't forget the candy bars!! any idea about weather
forecast yet?

jeff

Willi
May 6th, 2007, 10:10 PM
jeff wrote:
> Willi wrote:
>
>> jeff wrote:
>>
>>> my new one-person lightweight tent, w/o fly (fly is on the ground),
>>> for limited 3-season overnight hiking/fishing trips. gonna give it a
>>> test this week.
>>>
>>> jeff

>> Cool!
>>
>> The secret for older guys like us is to keep down the weight. Should
>> be able to do a two or three dayer around twenty pounds, which is
>> pretty manageable.
>>
>> When you come out West we need to backpack into a lake for an overnight.
>>
>> Willi
>

> fawn lake!! ;-)
>
> i'm working on the light load principle...esp. since my belly has
> decided to add to the load.
>
> just got a light sleeping bag suitable for 3 seasons in nc (35F)...2
> lbs. the tent is about the same. thermarest also...so that leaves 13
> pounds for the food, right? <g>

I go on the same 2 pound principal and have a similar setup to yours
along with a pack that weighs about 2 pounds.

Here's the stove I use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRALIGHT-ALCOHOL-CAMPING-BACKPACKING-CAN-STOVE-BURNER_W0QQ
itemZ270116775299QQihZ017QQcategoryZ87144QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It works great for boiling water (not a cook stove) and only weighs an
ounce.

Here's the type of filter bottle I use:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7637980
&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

You can often get them on sale for about $10. I learned the hard way to
replace the filters more frequently. I now get a new filter each season.

The Lemonade is Crystal Light. Very compact and light.

don't have a stove or water purifier
> yet, and just a few basic (cheap) utensils. like me, this camp-fish
> thing is still a quirk in progress.
>
> when i see you again, i'll want you to show me that water
> purifier/lemonade system you had on slough creek...that was tasty and
> refreshing.

Here's the type of filter bottle I use:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7637980
&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

You can often get them on sale for about $10. I learned the hard way to
replace the filters more frequently. I now get a new filter each season.

The Lemonade is Crystal Light. Very compact and light.

Willi

Opus--Mark H. Bowen
May 7th, 2007, 12:03 AM
"jeff" > wrote in message

> uh oh... just don't forget the candy bars!! any idea about weather
> forecast yet?
>
> jeff

Yeah, Ray's Weather dot com says 5 golf balls!

What do ya reckon that means?

Op

Dave LaCourse
May 7th, 2007, 12:31 AM
On Sun, 06 May 2007 16:08:10 -0400, jeff >
wrote:

>trust y'all are well. figure it's nearing time for your annual spring
>lakewood jaunt. is the new dog prepared and cabin ready? our sadie is
>now 12 and she's slowed down a lot. here she is at leisure, watching me
>fiddle with the tent yesterday. it's her bemused, crossed-paws look.

Heading up for a couple of days after the 14th. Jenny is finally
getting the hang of peein' and poopin' outside. She loves the shower,
so she should take to the lake well.

Love the pic of Sadie. Enjoy her all you can.

Dave

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
May 7th, 2007, 02:43 AM
"Opus--Mark H. Bowen" > wrote in message

> "jeff" > wrote in message
>
>> uh oh... just don't forget the candy bars!! any idea about weather
>> forecast yet?
>>
>> jeff
>
> Yeah, Ray's Weather dot com says 5 golf balls!
>
> What do ya reckon that means?

Bring a 9-iron?
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Cyli
May 7th, 2007, 04:35 AM
On Sun, 06 May 2007 15:56:44 -0400, jeff >
wrote:

>i'm working on the light load principle...esp. since my belly has
>decided to add to the load.
>
>just got a light sleeping bag suitable for 3 seasons in nc (35F)...2
>lbs. the tent is about the same. thermarest also...so that leaves 13
>pounds for the food, right? <g> don't have a stove or water purifier
>yet, and just a few basic (cheap) utensils. like me, this camp-fish
>thing is still a quirk in progress.

And the change of clothing in case your stuff gets wet? The rain gear
in case of rain? Poly fleece hoodie for the cool evenings? The
flyfishing equipment? Sawyer snakebite kit doesn't weigh much, but
don't you wish you'd had it along the time you and a cotton mouth met?
Since you'll probably wet wade, you won't need the waders.

A bear canister weighs about 3 pounds, if you want to keep your food
safe from bears and raccoons and vice versa. Makes a decent seat for
around the campfire, too.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Cyli
May 7th, 2007, 04:38 AM
wrote:

>my new one-person lightweight tent, w/o fly (fly is on the ground), for
>limited 3-season overnight hiking/fishing trips. gonna give it a test
>this week.
>
>jeff

Cute tent. Looks fine. Remember to put the fly on right away and
stake the fly out tautly.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.
Almost entirely harmless. Really.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

rw
May 9th, 2007, 04:18 PM
jeff wrote:

> joanne made a tent for you!!?? i knew she was talented, but there's
> gotta be some limit, eh? just be careful if she makes you a frost-lined
> sleeping bag. <g>
>
> trust y'all are well. figure it's nearing time for your annual spring
> lakewood jaunt. is the new dog prepared and cabin ready? our sadie is
> now 12 and she's slowed down a lot. here she is at leisure, watching me
> fiddle with the tent yesterday. it's her bemused, crossed-paws look.

Some of you may remember my dog, Arlo. He passed away about a month ago.

Opus--Mark H. Bowen
May 9th, 2007, 06:28 PM
"rw" > wrote in message
> jeff wrote:
>>
>> joanne made a tent for you!!?? i knew she was talented, but there's
>> gotta be some limit, eh? just be careful if she makes you a frost-lined
>> sleeping bag. <g>
>>
>> trust y'all are well. figure it's nearing time for your annual spring
>> lakewood jaunt. is the new dog prepared and cabin ready? our sadie is
>> now 12 and she's slowed down a lot. here she is at leisure, watching me
>> fiddle with the tent yesterday. it's her bemused, crossed-paws look.
>
> Some of you may remember my dog, Arlo. He passed away about a month ago.

Very sorry to hear that Steve. I sure loved my Beau-re-Guard. She was the
best woman--aside from good 'ol mom--I've ever had.

My buddy Bear is a great fishin' partner, and hiking chum, but he ain't no
Beau. I'd love to take him with Jeff M. and I this weekend, but mother says
she ain't gonna go the entire weekend without her protector.

Op

Dave LaCourse
May 9th, 2007, 09:08 PM
On Wed, 09 May 2007 08:18:30 -0700, rw
> wrote:

>jeff wrote:
>>
>> joanne made a tent for you!!?? i knew she was talented, but there's
>> gotta be some limit, eh? just be careful if she makes you a frost-lined
>> sleeping bag. <g>
>>
>> trust y'all are well. figure it's nearing time for your annual spring
>> lakewood jaunt. is the new dog prepared and cabin ready? our sadie is
>> now 12 and she's slowed down a lot. here she is at leisure, watching me
>> fiddle with the tent yesterday. it's her bemused, crossed-paws look.
>
>Some of you may remember my dog, Arlo. He passed away about a month ago.

About the same time we lost Henry. He took sick and was moaning. We
picked him up and rushed him to the hospital, but he died in Joanne's
arms before we got there. We were devastated. A week later we picked
up 3 month old Jenny who is more than a handful of trouble. She
should be lots of company at Lakewood.

jeff
May 9th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Oh jeez... i'm sorry to hear of Arlo's passing. I remember several of
your photos with him and your other dog. Goldens are near human, only
better.

i'm getting spooked. 1st Henry, now Arlo. Sadie is about 12 (she was a
mountain stray pup who came up on our porch one morning in the mountains
and pawed her way into our hearts), and mostly golden retriever with
some other breed(s) in the mix. She's not what i would call an active,
fit dog, but as smart, loveable, and gentle as any I've ever known. She
goes everywhere with us, including to my office. We are fools over her
and can't imagine being without her, though we know the day is coming.

jeff

rw wrote:

> Some of you may remember my dog, Arlo. He passed away about a month ago.

Jack Schmitt
May 9th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Read the book, "When A Pet Dies" by the late Fred Rogers of Mr. Roger's
Neighborhood fame.

"Jeff" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Oh jeez... i'm sorry to hear of Arlo's passing. I remember several of
> your photos with him and your other dog. Goldens are near human, only
> better.
>
> i'm getting spooked. 1st Henry, now Arlo. Sadie is about 12 (she was a
> mountain stray pup who came up on our porch one morning in the mountains
> and pawed her way into our hearts), and mostly golden retriever with some
> other breed(s) in the mix. She's not what i would call an active, fit
> dog, but as smart, loveable, and gentle as any I've ever known. She goes
> everywhere with us, including to my office. We are fools over her and
> can't imagine being without her, though we know the day is coming.
>
> jeff
>
> rw wrote:
>

>> Some of you may remember my dog, Arlo. He passed away about a month ago.

Danl[_2_]
May 10th, 2007, 01:41 AM
"rw" > wrote in message
> Some of you may remember my dog, Arlo. He passed away about a month ago.

Sorry to hear, Steve. That Arlo was a good dog.

Danl

rw
May 10th, 2007, 03:51 AM
Danl wrote:
> "rw" > wrote in message
>
>>Some of you may remember my dog, Arlo. He passed away about a month ago.
>>

> Sorry to hear, Steve. That Arlo was a good dog.

Twelve years is about all you can expect from a dog.

It was tough. He was diagnosed with cancer, and for three weeks I
expected that the next day would be his last, but when we woke in the
morning he was bright-eyed and thumping his tail.

What amazed and delighted me about Arlo in his last days was that he was
as sweet natured as ever, even though he was suffering terribly.

I miss him so much, and still weep for him.