PDA

View Full Version : TR: The Phoenix...

Todd Enders
October 4th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Looks like Indian Summer is under way, with temps moving
back into the mid-70s for the next few days, at least. *Real*
hard to focus at work when one could be out doing better things,
like fishing, for instance. Really wanted to cut out early,
right after lunch, but the best I could manage was to leave an
hour early.

Destination for the excursion was Velva Sprotsman's Dam.
Kevin Vang pointed out an article about a month ago about the
draining and renovation ND G&F had been doing out there. In
the article, I learned the place is actually spring-fed, and
that water levels a month out from draining were returning to
something resembling normal. Of course, the question sprang
to mind as to whether any fish had survived the severe drawdown
during the hottest part of the year. Had planned to get away
at my earliest opportunity to see what the situation was. Well,
it'd been over a month since I saw the article, and high time
to make the trip! :-)

Arrived on scene about 3:45. Water level was *much* improved
vs. the last time I was there, and only has about 18" more to go
to reach pre-drain levels. There was still some bare spots
where they had worked, but the brush overgrowth situation on
the NW side had been *dramatically* improved.

Strung up the 7 wt., due to the stiff NW breeze, and walked
down to the water. It's amazing how nature can regenerate things
in a fairly short period of time. The water was gin-clear, and
plant life had regrown on the bottom and amongst the rocks. Bugs
were hatching, and I saw some small black caddis laying eggs.
Indeed, the hatch was dimpling the surface all over the quiet
water spots. However, I wasn't seeing any fish rising or crusing.
Figured the recent cold spell had sent them deep. With that in
mind, I decided to prospect with a #12 amber, glass bead bodied
scud. A sizeable chunk, and it sank like a stone. Would start
by the car (which I parked at the NW corner of the water) and
run and gun down the bank to the south until I either contacted
fish, or got to the far end.

Started casting, let the fly sink for a minute or so, so
that I was sure I was on/near bottom, and slow-stripped it back.
Could feel the scud tick the bottom weeds and such. Would make
a cast or three in one spot, then move ~5 yards down and try again.

Was beginning to wonder after I'd worked about 60 yards down
the bank without any indication of a fish. Kept watching the
bugs come off, and wondered why there were no fish rising. Hope
of anything left, or a visit from the G&F fishmobile, started
to fade...

Got down to where a point juts out into the water, which
marked the end of the area they cleaned the brush and cattails
out of. Decided to stop here and work the area more thuroughly.
Stripped mindlessly along, when I felt a tug... Set the hook,
and rapidly brought a *small* fish to the surface, just in time
for the LDR. :-/ Well, at least there's *something* here...

Worked the area some more, and before too many casts, I had
another strike, and this time I brought a 6" largemouth to hand.
The streak lives!!! :-) Can't remember when I was quite so happy
to hook a tiddler bass!

Kept at it in the area, and hooked three more largemouth of
about the same size, two of which I landed. This was *sweet*!
Wondered if these were survivours, or if the fishmobile had
dropped them off. Also wondered where the trout were. Were
there any left at all? Watched five rooster pheasants fly by,
kicked up from somewhere to the SW of where I was. Nice sight!

After about 5-6 unsuccessful casts, I figured I'd fished
the spot out for the moment. Walked up and around the point,
and on past the little side bay, which was too choked with brush
and cattails to work aggressively. Went around to the point
at the south end of this little bay, where I could get right
down to the water (thanks to the lower levels). Started in
here, and kept working south down the bank. Shortly contacted
fish again. :-) Pulled several more little bass from the next
20 yards of bank.

Stopped at a spot where I'd hooked three small bass in
four casts. Seemed like there was a school of them, hugging
the bottom. Made a couple unsuccessful casts, but then, as
I stripped, I felt a sharp tug, set the hook, and watched as
the rod bent sharply! :-) Whoa! This feels like a *much*
better brand of fish... :-)

Worked the fish up toward the surface, and see that it's
a pretty fair sized bass! :-) The fight is on for a couple
minutes before the fish resigns, and I bring it to hand. 14"
of fat female largemouth. Largest bass I've taken this year
on that water. :-) Indeed, from what I know of the place, they
don't get a *whole* lot bigger than this. The fish was admired
briefly, and gently returned, as befits a trophy fish. :-)

There were some submerged tree branches on my side of the
water, further down the bank, and a 10 yard advance from where
I'd hooked the big one was now in order. Brought a rash of 6"
bass (I was rather hoping I'd find a twin to the 14" fish, or
perhaps contact a nice brown... :-). Had some fairly fast
action on the tiddlers for a bit.

Things slowed down, the time was fast approaching to leave,
but it was hard to tear myself away. :-) Finally, I got hung
on the bottom and had to break the scud that had served so well
off. Guess that was the fishing gods' way of telling me it was
enough for one day. As I was reeling up, I saw a large fish
leap clear of the water out of the corner of my eye and splash
back like a large rock. Did not see what it was. Reeled up,
clambered up the steep bank to the top and walked back to the
vehicle. Admired what was left of the fall colours, felt the
warmth of the setting sun and the breeze, and was glad I had a
chance to get away for a while. Life *is* good!

Total was 15 hooked, 11 landed, and one big fish in a bit
under two hours. Can't argue with that! :-)

At any rate, it was nice to visit home water that I thought
would be a long time coming back from the renovation project and
have it nearly back to normal. Never did find any trout though,
which was a bit disheartening, but then again I can't say for
sure that there *aren't* any left in the place. :-) Going to try
to pop out weekly until freeze-up and see what I can discover... :-)

Todd (remove hook to reply)

Bill Mason
October 4th, 2003, 06:26 AM
"Todd Enders" > wrote in message

> <snip>
>
>Life *is* good!

It sure is. Thanks for the report/update...I always enjoy your posts. I'm
glad to read that your pond is coming back so quickly, too.

Cheers,
Bill

Todd Enders
October 4th, 2003, 08:03 AM
In > Bill Mason wrote:

> It sure is. Thanks for the report/update...I always enjoy your
> posts. I'm glad to read that your pond is coming back so quickly,
> too.

Indeed, it was a spirit-lifting moment, coming back down
that road and seeing things looking almost like they had back
in early June (modulo the change in season). Always glad to
hear someone appreciates my ramblings about the highs and lows
of a mildly tetched fly guy out on his rounds. :-)

The habitat improvements will certainly pay off down the
road. G&F dredged out ~1,100 cubic yards of silt as part of
the project, and are working with the landowner upstream of the
dam to curb some of the excess nutrient inflow as well, to cut
down on algae blooms. Now, if they could just get people to
take their trash back out with them, not leave wads of mono
bankside, etc... :-/

For a seven acre lake, the place has already demonstrated
potential to grow trophy trout. The improvements can only make
that better. :-) I'm also rather hoping G&F will soon get some
trout back in there before the balance gets skewed more toward
bass (not that I have anything against bass, mind you! :-).
The mix is nice, since it gives one good fishing all season --
trout when the water is cool, bass when things warm up and
the trout go deep. Also hope they keep browns in the stocking
mix, as they seem more inclined to grow to trophy size. The
rainbows seem to get fished out pretty quick in the spring.

We shall see. Meanwhile, I've got until Nov. 1 before
the place closes, and weather permitting, I'll be probing
the remnants... :-)

Todd (remove hook to reply)