PDA

View Full Version : TR: Trip to Ransaran Creek Part II.

Roger Ohlund
October 5th, 2003, 02:37 PM
(If you don't feel like clicking on all the links for the pictures just go
to the website below and click on TR:s for the web version)

Trip to Ransaran Creek Part II.

Having been to Ransaran two weeks before midsummer and having seen huge
Arctic char swimming within reach of my rod tip I had a hard time forgetting
about the place and finally four weeks later I called my long time fishing
buddy Fred and told him about the place.
- You're lying! Was his immediate response. There can't be such fishing
there and I haven't heard about it..?
- Well then, come with me and see for yourself I told him.
And so it went that we booked permits for 24 hours of fishing at Ransaran
Creek.
Tagging along was another friend of mine, Erik Holmlund fly-fisherman and
owner of one of the oldest fishing sites on the Swedish part of the web,
Erik's River site.
We planned on arriving so that our fishing would start at 1 pm and end 1 pm
next day.
Arriving at Saxnasgarden a Mountain resort I once again found myself sitting
in a restaurant where one could pay a fee just to admire the view. After
lunch and another visit to the fishing center to pick up our permits we were
on our way up to the creek.

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2a.jpg

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2b.jpg

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2c.jpg

My first visit to Ransaran had been a success although the weather had been
on the windy and slightly chilly side. This time the weather was warm and
the wind just about still. But what was to come NOTHING could have prepared
me for.
Once at the creek we set up camp and took a walk up to a canyon leading out
from a water reservoir, not a water power plant, just a reservoir. This
reservoir having a bottom outlet affects the quota restricted part of the
creek in two ways. First, the water is always very cold, around 6 degrees
Celsius even during July. Second, the bottom outlet provides an abundance of
gammarus in the stretch below. Arctic char normally feeding on gammarus and
liking cold water reach enormous size in this creek and specimen up to 5.5
kg (lb12) have been caught.

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2m.jpg

On our walk up to the canyon, where fishing is prohibited, we saw fish
swimming in the narrow creek that easily surpassed 4,5 kg (lb10). Asking my
friend if he still thought I was lying he was to distressed by what he saw
so I got no answer.
Fishing started out with us casting with very small gnats or weighted nymphs
tied on to what was the smallest diameter tippets we dared to use. Fish were
rising everywhere and it was big fish, even huge fish, but we caught
nothing. It was still daytime, in the afternoon, when we decided to take a
break and have something to eat. The shear frustration of having such rises
and being unable to fool the fish was taking its toll.
At this point something happened that I never ever had expected, the char
was starting to do head and tail rises all over. It was a sight that will be
forever imprinted in my brain. The number of fish rising per minute was
around a hundred and the size was such that the tailfins easily were wider
than 10 cm (4 inches). Guess if we hurried to the rods!? But no avail. The
fish would simply not touch anything thrown at them.
Late that night I caught what was going to be my first Arctic char that trip
(18 inches and lb 2,5) on a fly that I had no more than four of. And my
friends had none. It was an iron blue version of the Klinkhamer in size 14.

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2f.jpg

The only way to get a rise was to wait for a fish to show itself and then
present this Klinkhamer so that it floated fly first, leader coming behind
it, to the fish. I had to give my friends one fly each explaining that I had
only four and that the last one also was mine. We must have seen thousands
of rises that night and later I heard that one of the fishing guides had
expressed that he was close to tears from the sight. It was a humbling
experience to see all that fish rising under the midnight sun in a mountain
valley where the snow still was evident on the slopes.
Waking up the morning after, a bit tired but very keen on getting a few more
hours of fishing in before our permit ended, we cooked breakfast. While
sitting and eating a big Arctic char started to rise no more than 50 feet
from our tent. Fred being frustrated from not catching anything the night
before simply dropped his sandwich and grabbed his rod with the small
Klinkhamer still on it. It was kind of fun looking at him approaching the
riverbank on all four, expecting the char to stop rising in any second.
Stripping line onto the ground he made one false cast and dropped the fly
above the fish in the stream. Slowly floating towards the point where the
fish had been rising the fish rose again. I literally yelled at him,
- Why didn't you strike you moron.
He shouted back that the fish had been rising to something no more than 25
inches to the side of his fly. At the very second he closed his mouth the
fish took the Klinkhamer and he hooked it. Getting up to a standing position
he shouted,

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2h.jpg

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2j.jpg

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2i.jpg

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2n.jpg

- Oh oh! It's a big one.
And it really was. He never took it out of the water, just unhooked it since
we were going home later that evening but I took some really nice pictures
of it while it was still on and I swear it must've been close to 20 inches.
http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2l.jpg
Getting back to his breakfast on shaky legs but with a smile on his lips
nothing could've erased at that point he sat down mumbling something about
how good living can be.
Now comes the fun part. We hadn't been sitting there for more than two
minutes when another big Arctic char rose in the exact same spot. We both
looked at Erik who already was on his feet. Erik who hasn't been fishing the
fly for as long as Fred more or less imitated Fred in his approach and did
everything perfect. The fact that the fish broke him left him more or less
devastated but even more so determined to learn more about fly-fishing and
to return next year.

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2g.jpg

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2o.jpg

http://biphome.spray.se/bo_lindfors/ROFF/ransar/Ransaran_creek_2p.jpg

I was to have more success than my fellow fishermen and caught another four
char at approx the same size or slightly smaller than my first. This is not
what I remember best from the trip though. I was fishing the lower calm
water at the inlet from the creek when I saw one of those trophy fish that
we knew could be found in these waters. It was rising again and again in a
side current created by the inlet and did not really pose any difficulty as
to how to fool him and hence I cast and landed the K. fly two meters above
him in the current with the leader coming behind. I hooked that fish and
after 30 seconds I hadn't even slowed him down when he broke me. I don't cry
easily, but friends, this time it was very close.
Packing up and returning home was bittersweet. We had had an experience that
made us want to stay longer but also a fishing trip worth telling about.
Next year...next year...

/Roger
Daytime engineer
Lifetime flyfisherman
If you feel like it, visit http://biphome.spray.se/angler/ for info on
flyfishing in northern Sweden, Lapland

Herman Nijland
October 5th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Thanks Roger, great reports!

--
Herman

Stefan Räjert
October 5th, 2003, 06:27 PM
"Roger Ohlund" > skrev i meddelandet
> (If you don't feel like clicking on all the links for the pictures just go
> to the website below and click on TR:s for the web version)
>
> Trip to Ransaran Creek Part II.

(Story snipped)

> Next year...next year...
>
> /Roger
> Daytime engineer
> Lifetime flyfisherman
> If you feel like it, visit http://biphome.spray.se/angler/ for info on
> flyfishing in northern Sweden, Lapland

Thanks for Your great report Roger! Now there´s another big X on my map! ;-)
Really looking forward for You to empty Your computer and share the rest of
Your stories with us!
Pictures from Laisan are now in for developing, not that many but... I´ll
send them over as soon as i recieve them!
Hope to fish with You and the guys again!
Stefan, Sweden

The Leaping Frog
October 5th, 2003, 09:28 PM
Hej Roger,
You lucky Swedes! I really enjoyed your report , even more because Kultsjon
is in my shortlist if you see what I mean... Big browns are also allegedly
very much on the menu in the myriad of creeks in this area. For someone who
has never caught a char, you report is very tempting.

But I guess your challenge now is to decide whether Miekak still wins for
next year or whether you are not so sure anymore!!!.. I have also read a bit
about Ammarnas...

Any way, just meant to say a quick hello and was delighted to hear you had a
whale of a time. I'd still like to buy you a drink and share a few cast by
the water sometime.

Tightlines
Jerome
Roger Ohlund > wrote in message
> [...]
not
> what I remember best from the trip though. I was fishing the lower calm
> water at the inlet from the creek when I saw one of those trophy fish that
> we knew could be found in these waters. It was rising again and again in a
> side current created by the inlet and did not really pose any difficulty
as
> to how to fool him and hence I cast and landed the K. fly two meters above
> him in the current with the leader coming behind. I hooked that fish and
> after 30 seconds I hadn't even slowed him down when he broke me. I don't
cry
> easily, but friends, this time it was very close.
> Packing up and returning home was bittersweet. We had had an experience
that
> made us want to stay longer but also a fishing trip worth telling about.

Mike
October 5th, 2003, 09:45 PM
Thanks for sharing Roger great report pics also

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

October 6th, 2003, 04:17 AM
On Sun, 5 Oct 2003 15:37:05 +0200, "Roger Ohlund"
> wrote:

>Trip to Ransaran Creek Part II.

Well done and fun to read. Thanks.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Bill Mason
October 6th, 2003, 05:19 AM
"Roger Ohlund" > wrote in message
> (If you don't feel like clicking on all the links for the pictures just go
> to the website below and click on TR:s for the web version)
>
> Trip to Ransaran Creek Part II.
> ...And so it went that we booked permits for 24 hours of fishing at
Ransaran
> Creek.

I finally got a chance to read your post...you had me on the edge of my seat
more than once! Is sounds like a special place, and the photos are great.
Thanks.

Cheers,
Bill

Roger Ohlund
October 6th, 2003, 07:32 AM
"Stefan Räjert" > wrote in message

> Thanks for Your great report Roger! Now there´s another big X on my map!
;-)
> Really looking forward for You to empty Your computer and share the rest
of
> Your stories with us!
> Pictures from Laisan are now in for developing, not that many but... I´ll
> send them over as soon as i recieve them!
> Hope to fish with You and the guys again!
> Stefan, Sweden

Well Stefan,

Once I get around to planning for a clave in 2004 you would be most welcome
to join us again. I for one would look forward to meet with you once more.
And yes, I will empty my computer of stories. Next will be Pearl river.
Those pictures from Laisan would be most welcome. I have had three rolls of
film developed and have more than 100 pictures from the clave, only need to
buy me a new slide scanner and I will have them online on the web page.
Send me an email before sending the pictures and I will provide you with an
email address that I can access with a faster connection.

/Roger

Roger Ohlund
October 6th, 2003, 07:43 AM
"The Leaping Frog" > wrote in message
> Hej Roger,
> You lucky Swedes! I really enjoyed your report , even more because
Kultsjon
> is in my shortlist if you see what I mean... Big browns are also allegedly
> very much on the menu in the myriad of creeks in this area. For someone
who
> has never caught a char, you report is very tempting.
>
> But I guess your challenge now is to decide whether Miekak still wins for
> next year or whether you are not so sure anymore!!!.. I have also read a
bit
> about Ammarnas...
>
> Any way, just meant to say a quick hello and was delighted to hear you had
> whale of a time. I'd still like to buy you a drink and share a few cast by
> the water sometime.
>
> Tightlines
> Jerome

Jerome,

There's a new trophy stretch in Vindel river close to Ammarnas. Actually it
is the first rapids below Ammarnas Village.
Had I but known about it during the clave I would have taken the guys there,
we were after all very close to the place during our day trip.
They have caught brown trout in this stretch up to lb11 this summer.
On the other hand, I would think that Vaughan was quite satisfied with the
stretch that we did go to.
I'm guessing that you will visit us (Sweden) again next summer?
Also I'm looking forward to hearing of this summers experiences.
About Ammarnas.....
I was in the region hunting for ptarmigan mid September. We stayed in a Sami
cabin high up the mountains, say 50 kilometers from the nearest road.
Brought my fishing gear, only got to fish for two hours but caugh the second
largest Arctic char of my life at 22 inches. TR is coming as number 6 of 6.
Next is number three, Pearl river.

/Roger

Vaughan Hurry
October 6th, 2003, 11:11 AM
> On the other hand, I would think that Vaughan was quite satisfied with the
> stretch that we did go to.

Indeed - but where was Osmo with his camera when I needed him!

> I was in the region hunting for ptarmigan mid September. We stayed in a
Sami
> cabin high up the mountains, say 50 kilometers from the nearest road.
> Brought my fishing gear, only got to fish for two hours but caugh the
second
> largest Arctic char of my life at 22 inches.

You know, there are times when I really start to dislike you Ohlund.......
22" char and you get to hunt for ptarmigan as well? And I am stuck at
work................

Thinking of next year. I was up at Saxnas last weekend of the season but did
not fish. I was with Åsa and did not want my rings thrown at me :-). It
looks like a nice area for early in the season next June. If you and Jarmo
are still interested I would be keen as well. July will be difficult for me
next year as I have to go to Japan July 10-15 but mid summer - ish should
still work. Not sure when it would be best to try Miekak, if that is still a
possibility.

Vaughan

Roger Ohlund
October 6th, 2003, 12:42 PM
"Vaughan Hurry" > wrote in message
> > On the other hand, I would think that Vaughan was quite satisfied with
the
> > stretch that we did go to.
>
> Indeed - but where was Osmo with his camera when I needed him!
>
> > I was in the region hunting for ptarmigan mid September. We stayed in a
> Sami
> > cabin high up the mountains, say 50 kilometers from the nearest road.
> > Brought my fishing gear, only got to fish for two hours but caugh the
> second
> > largest Arctic char of my life at 22 inches.
>
> You know, there are times when I really start to dislike you Ohlund.......
> 22" char and you get to hunt for ptarmigan as well? And I am stuck at
> work................

And I who try really hard not to hurt your feelings......;-)
I have a picture of that char lying beside the Glenmorangie bottle, just in
case you'd wanna measure it.
BTW did I tell you that we shot 98 ptarmigans in 3 days ??

> Thinking of next year. I was up at Saxnas last weekend of the season but
did
> not fish. I was with Åsa and did not want my rings thrown at me :-). It
> looks like a nice area for early in the season next June. If you and Jarmo
> are still interested I would be keen as well. July will be difficult for
me
> next year as I have to go to Japan July 10-15 but mid summer - ish should
> still work.

I will go there AND I'm planning on bringing you, Jarmo, Fred, Erik and Bo
Lindfors. That way we won't have to share the stretch with strangers =)

> Not sure when it would be best to try Miekak, if that is still a
> possibility.

Yes, I'm planning for it.

/Roger

Vaughan Hurry
October 6th, 2003, 01:33 PM
> I will go there AND I'm planning on bringing you, Jarmo, Fred, Erik and Bo
> Lindfors. That way we won't have to share the stretch with strangers =)

Great, I will look forward to it (I'm not even going to touch the 98
ptarmigan.....). BTW, I have finally settled on a rod to replace the
Paradigm I sadly busted on the clave. Carl Anderberg has agreed to build an
81/2 foot 3 piece parabolic rod for me. I spent a few hours casting one of
Lars-Åke's 8' #5/6 rods with a similar taper and it was lovely but I decided
on something a little longer and a little heavier for the wind up north.
Something else for me to look forward to next spring.

cheers

Vaughan

any interest in seatrout on Oct 15?

Roger Ohlund
October 6th, 2003, 04:57 PM
"Vaughan Hurry" > wrote in message
> > I will go there AND I'm planning on bringing you, Jarmo, Fred, Erik and
Bo
> > Lindfors. That way we won't have to share the stretch with strangers
=)

> Great, I will look forward to it (I'm not even going to touch the 98
> ptarmigan.....). BTW, I have finally settled on a rod to replace the
> Paradigm I sadly busted on the clave. Carl Anderberg has agreed to build
an
> 81/2 foot 3 piece parabolic rod for me. I spent a few hours casting one of
> Lars-Åke's 8' #5/6 rods with a similar taper and it was lovely but I
decided
> on something a little longer and a little heavier for the wind up north.
> Something else for me to look forward to next spring.
>
> cheers
>
> Vaughan
>
> any interest in seatrout on Oct 15?

Vaughan,

That would be wednesday next week?
I might just be able to.
Where are you heading?

/Roger

Willi
October 7th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Great report. Were the pictures of the "creek" or the reservoir. If the
creek, it would be a major river in the States.

Willi

Roger Ohlund
October 7th, 2003, 08:11 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message

> Great report. Were the pictures of the "creek" or the reservoir. If the
> creek, it would be a major river in the States.
>
> Willi

Willi,

The pictures are from the creek. Only, it isn't normally as big as in those
pictures since this was from a calm stretch.
You can see what the rest looks like if you visit the "Mountain rivers"
section on the web site and have a look at "Ransaran creek".

/ Roger
Daytime engineer
Lifetime flyfisherman
If you feel like it, visit http://biphome.spray.se/angler/ for info on
flyfishing in northern Sweden, Lapland

Vaughan Hurry
October 7th, 2003, 08:36 AM

> That would be wednesday next week?
> I might just be able to.
> Where are you heading?
>
> /Roger

Yes, that would be Wednesday next week. The only stretch open for fishing is
from Hynglesbole (sorry, I can't spell that but you know where I mean) down
stream. I usually start at the top of the rapid at dawn and then move down
below for the rest of the day when everyone else shows up. If there are 2 of
us (or more, Karel might come as well) it might be better to drop one of
below the rapid and the other fish that short stretch above by themselves.
There is not really space for more than 1 fishermen - even if you do see 3
or 4 stuffed in there sometimes. October 15 can be pretty busy but I usually
go for the fun of it. Let me know if you can make it.

Vaughan

I don't know what the water will be like after this ran but it should be OK

Jarmo Hurri
October 7th, 2003, 08:42 AM
Vaughan> Thinking of next year. I was up at Saxnas last weekend of the
Vaughan> season but did not fish. I was with Åsa and did not want my
Vaughan> rings thrown at me :-). It looks like a nice area for early
Vaughan> in the season next June. If you and Jarmo are still
Vaughan> interested I would be keen as well.

Definitely yes. At the moment it seems to me that all other dates
except those around June 14th should be fine for me.

Vaughan> Not sure when it would be best to try Miekak, if that is
Vaughan> still a possibility.

Miekak would be great. I've also been planning on a two-week trip
somewhere in Norway, not yet sure where. Let me know if you're
interested.

BTW, I have reserved a four-day trip to Em-river at the end of March.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Use as email
address or apply rot13 to header email address.

Vaughan Hurry
October 7th, 2003, 08:51 AM
> BTW, I have reserved a four-day trip to Em-river at the end of March.
>
> --
> Jarmo Hurri

You can get a license to fish Emån? I did not know that, I had been told it
was mostly club water. You are having dreams of a 15kg seatrout Jarmo?

Vaughan

Jarmo Hurri
October 7th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Vaughan> You can get a license to fish Emån? I did not know that, I
Vaughan> had been told it was mostly club water. You are having dreams
Vaughan> of a 15kg seatrout Jarmo?

A guy here in Finland has a contact there for a piece of private
water, I think it was 7 or 8 kilometers. Licences and accommodation
(in fairly primitive huts, I think) was something like 250 e, so it
wasn't that bad.

About those 15kg seatrout - I haven't caught a fish with my
fly-fishing gear the whole year (caught a few pike with spin gear a
couple of weeks ago). So even a tiny minnow would make me extremely
happy at this point! :-)

BTW, what happened to your Paradigm? I saw that you were going to
*replace* it - not fix it - so does that mean that you sold it or lost
it?

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Use as email
address or apply rot13 to header email address.

Vaughan Hurry
October 7th, 2003, 10:21 AM
> BTW, what happened to your Paradigm? I saw that you were going to
> *replace* it - not fix it - so does that mean that you sold it or lost
> it?
Hi Jarmo,

Sold it? Are you mad? I busted the it during the Lapland clave. The
mid-section worked loose while casting (if I can use the term here - more
like lobbing and ducking......) a pair of heavy Czech nymphs. I managed to
hook a nice little trout, stuck and my rod made an ugly popping sound and
the top 2 sections flopped into the water. You can guess the rest. Seriously
stupid behaviour on my part, I was checking the connections but not often
enough and should have been using that useless bloody Sage of mine for that
sort of fishing anyway. T&T would have repaired it for me but the cost of
shipping to the US and their handling fee was about the same as the
deductible on my insurance so the rod went into the dumpster and in March I
will have a new split cane.......... A sad end to a wonderful rod. Pity it
wasn't the Sage that I broke but if I had Loop would have just fixed it for
me in Sweden (again) and I would still be stuck with it.

Vaughan

Roger Ohlund
October 7th, 2003, 10:35 AM
"Vaughan Hurry" > wrote in message
> > BTW, what happened to your Paradigm? I saw that you were going to
> > *replace* it - not fix it - so does that mean that you sold it or lost
> > it?
>.......... A sad end to a wonderful rod. Pity it
> wasn't the Sage that I broke but if I had Loop would have just fixed it
for
> me in Sweden (again) and I would still be stuck with it.
>
> Vaughan

Perhaps they should rename the lifetime guarantee to the lifetime curse
then?

;-)

/Roger
Who really tried to get rid of the Sage RPL+ 5100-3 when it broke, but the
insurance company wouldn't let me.

Vaughan Hurry
October 7th, 2003, 11:01 AM
> Perhaps they should rename the lifetime guarantee to the lifetime curse
> then?
>
> ;-)
>
> /Roger
> Who really tried to get rid of the Sage RPL+ 5100-3 when it broke, but the
> insurance company wouldn't let me.

LOL! That is pretty much how I feel about the Sage.......... I was "lucky"
with the insurance company as no one distributes T&T rods in Sweden anymore
and from what I can tell T&T have discontinued the Paradigm line of rods,
for some unfathomable reason. So they agreed to replace it even though the
split in the blank was barely apparent. It took me a month to decide to
trash the rod, I really like that one.

Vaughan

Jarmo Hurri
October 7th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Vaughan> Pity it wasn't the Sage that I broke but if I had Loop would
Vaughan> have just fixed it for me in Sweden (again) and I would still
Vaughan> be stuck with it.

Was that Sage of yours the 4-piece model? We might see an end to this
whining if I bought it from you. ;-)

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Use as email
address or apply rot13 to header email address.

Roger Ohlund
October 7th, 2003, 11:33 AM
"Jarmo Hurri" > wrote in message

> Vaughan> Pity it wasn't the Sage that I broke but if I had Loop would
> Vaughan> have just fixed it for me in Sweden (again) and I would still
> Vaughan> be stuck with it.
>
> Was that Sage of yours the 4-piece model? We might see an end to this
> whining if I bought it from you. ;-)
>
> --
> Jarmo Hurri

I can whine too !!
And I have a Sage RPL+ 5100-3 that is a real casting machine.

/Roger
Can't for my life understand why anybody would want a rod that can cast more
than a line BUT can't play fish at all.
Hmmm.....that's why I named it my "**** rod"

Jarmo Hurri
October 7th, 2003, 11:47 AM
Roger> Can't for my life understand why anybody would want a rod that
Roger> can cast more than a line BUT can't play fish at all.

Imagine this guy who fishes like a madman but never catches any
fish... ;-)

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Use as email
address or apply rot13 to header email address.

Vaughan Hurry
October 7th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Sage 690-4XP Jarmo, you know the one - the big brother to that piece of crap
4WT you own :-) Wanna buy it? Make me an offer, please, it is in good shape
but 3 seasons old. Mind you, I made the same suggestion to Myron during the
clave and then did not let him use it once all week.................I whine
because what I really wanted was a 9'6" Vector but couldn't find one, not
because the Sage doesn't cast a line.

Vaughan

"Jarmo Hurri" > wrote in message

> Vaughan> Pity it wasn't the Sage that I broke but if I had Loop would
> Vaughan> have just fixed it for me in Sweden (again) and I would still
> Vaughan> be stuck with it.
>
> Was that Sage of yours the 4-piece model? We might see an end to this
> whining if I bought it from you. ;-)
>
> --
> Jarmo Hurri
>
> Spam countermeasures included. Use as email
> address or apply rot13 to header email address.

Jarmo Hurri
October 7th, 2003, 04:56 PM
Vaughan> Sage 690-4XP Jarmo, you know the one - the big brother to
Vaughan> that piece of crap 4WT you own :-) Wanna buy it? Make me an
Vaughan> offer, please, it is in good shape but 3 seasons old.

I'm tempted, I admit. I've spent some time with that crappy 4wt, and
casting with it is quite a pleasure when I get my joints straight. (I
guess that that sentence sounds weird to someone who speaks English as
a native language.) Wouldn't know about catching big fish with it,
though.

But still, perhaps better not. Unless you want to trade against a
two-piece Scott Alpha 6wt 9' rod (with money included in the deal, of
course). I guess with my recent track record I should be spending more
money on going fishing than on gear.

Which reminds me. I bought a very nice book a couple of months ago -
"Outside Adventure Travel: Fly Fishing (Best Destinations Worldwide)".

http://tinyurl.com/luye

Strongly recommended.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Use as email
address or apply rot13 to header email address.

Vaughan Hurry
October 7th, 2003, 05:10 PM
> But still, perhaps better not. Unless you want to trade against a
> two-piece Scott Alpha 6wt 9' rod (with money included in the deal, of
> course). I guess with my recent track record I should be spending more
> money on going fishing than on gear.

Ha! I knew you were all advertising and no substance. Explains why you like
your XP so much.

:-)

Jarmo Hurri
October 7th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Vaughan> Ha! I knew you were all advertising and no
Vaughan> substance. Explains why you like your XP so much.

The fish you have placed in your trap is rotten, methinks.

:-)

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Use as email
address or apply rot13 to header email address.

Willi
October 8th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Roger Ohlund wrote:

> The pictures are from the creek. Only, it isn't normally as big as in those
> pictures since this was from a calm stretch.
> You can see what the rest looks like if you visit the "Mountain rivers"
> section on the web site and have a look at "Ransaran creek".

Even in your other pictures, that's a hell of a creek!

Willi

Stefan Räjert
October 11th, 2003, 10:55 AM
"Vaughan Hurry" > skrev i meddelandet

> > BTW, I have reserved a four-day trip to Em-river at the end of March.
> >
> > --
> > Jarmo Hurri
>

> You can get a license to fish Emån? I did not know that, I had been told
it
> was mostly club water. You are having dreams of a 15kg seatrout Jarmo?
>
> Vaughan

Vaughan, to fish the lower stretch of river Em, the "Em estate stretch", You
have to write an application to the caretaker of the estate and pray for
luck! ;-) The stretches further up the river, Fliseryd, Grönskog anothers
are more easy to access, I believe that You can buy a license in gasstations
and such. I still havent been there myself, the fish are way to big and mean
for my wee rods, but several of my friends have fished there. If You´re
interested, I can check for adresses and regulations?