PDA

View Full Version : cdc caddis

no
October 6th, 2003, 07:32 AM
I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and it was
just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I noticed
when I wet it looked just like a caddis.

How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no dubbed body
hair, no ellk hair?

How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

Osmo Jauhiainen
October 6th, 2003, 08:38 AM
"no" > kirjoitti viestissä
> I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and it was
> just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I noticed
> when I wet it looked just like a caddis.
>
> How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no dubbed body
> hair, no ellk hair?
>
> How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

Is there any picture available about this fly?

I have been tying lot of cdc winged small flies using hook size 12 mostly.
I use natural cdc class 1 feather (white and grey) for wing, some hair for
tail, poly yarn for
body and cock neck for front hackle. Seems to fish well graylings also as
wet.

OsmoJ

Herman Nijland
October 6th, 2003, 08:43 AM
no wrote:
> I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and it was
> just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I noticed
> when I wet it looked just like a caddis.
>
> How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no dubbed body
> hair, no ellk hair?
>
> How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

It would work great probably, but you can keep it simple if you want to
and just use tying thread for the body.
It looks like you bought a F-fly. See a recent thread (F-Fly in small
sizes) for more information. Here's a link to that thread in Google:
http://tinyurl.com/pumo

--
Herman

-- Rob
October 6th, 2003, 12:11 PM
don't know about the specifics of your fly, but use a curved light wire scud
hook
(Tiemco 2487 I believe), add a sparse trailing shuck of brown zlon and you've
got a killer emerger pattern.

Herman is right, you can keep it simple with thread, varying the color of the
thread and cdc for different patterns.

Also, another method with CDC is to make sure you keep the CDC dense: one way
is to strip the cdc feathers off the stem, roll them up, tie down in the middle
and pull the 2 halves up parachute style.
The fly will then float like a cork, no floatant needed EVER.

-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--

Jim Ray
October 6th, 2003, 01:51 PM
Biggest problem would seem to be finding good quality CDC in quantities
large enough to make tying these things economically viable. Those little
Spirit River packs just don't tie many flies! (Course it doesn't take much
material for a #20 does it?) Any supplier suggestions?

Jim Ray
"-- Rob" > wrote in message
> don't know about the specifics of your fly, but use a curved light wire
scud
> hook
> (Tiemco 2487 I believe), add a sparse trailing shuck of brown zlon and
you've
> got a killer emerger pattern.
>
> Herman is right, you can keep it simple with thread, varying the color of
the
> thread and cdc for different patterns.
>
> Also, another method with CDC is to make sure you keep the CDC dense: one
way
> is to strip the cdc feathers off the stem, roll them up, tie down in the
middle
> and pull the 2 halves up parachute style.
> The fly will then float like a cork, no floatant needed EVER.
>
> -- so much fishing, so little time --
> --please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--

George Cleveland
October 6th, 2003, 03:10 PM
On 06 Oct 2003 11:11:12 GMT, (-- Rob) wrote:

>don't know about the specifics of your fly, but use a curved light wire scud
>hook
>(Tiemco 2487 I believe), add a sparse trailing shuck of brown zlon and you've
>got a killer emerger pattern.
>
>Herman is right, you can keep it simple with thread, varying the color of the
>thread and cdc for different patterns.
>
>Also, another method with CDC is to make sure you keep the CDC dense: one way
>is to strip the cdc feathers off the stem, roll them up, tie down in the middle
>and pull the 2 halves up parachute style.
>The fly will then float like a cork, no floatant needed EVER.
>
>-- so much fishing, so little time --
>--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--
I tie a very similar fly using snowshoe hares foot instead of cdc. Floats well
and is very durable.

g.c.

Sierra fisher
October 6th, 2003, 04:20 PM
A problem with CDC patterns is that they do not float very high. They can
be very difficult to see. In the late summer, I usually start out with a
size 12 with a lot of hackle so that it rides high. However is the fish
are taking small, emerging caddis, you may not have much choice but to fish
them
"no" > wrote in message
> I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and it was
> just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I noticed
> when I wet it looked just like a caddis.
>
> How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no dubbed body
> hair, no ellk hair?
>
> How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

---

Svend Tang-Petersen
October 6th, 2003, 06:11 PM
no wrote:

> I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and it was
> just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I noticed
> when I wet it looked just like a caddis.
>
> How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no dubbed body
> hair, no ellk hair?
>
> How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

There's a number of very sparse patterns that Im using here in the
Sierras. One is the Hot
Creek caddis which uses a few strands of elk. Another is ties on a 200R
with olive or grey
8/0 thread as the body, grey or brown CDC wing, peacock head with a few
turns of grizzle
hackle cut flat underneath.

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email:
SGI Pager:
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA

Svend Tang-Petersen
October 6th, 2003, 06:33 PM

Forgot to mention that these are all 20 or smaller.

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email:
SGI Pager:
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA

Stephen Welsh
October 6th, 2003, 10:08 PM
no > wrote in
:

> I remember buying a cdc caddis sometime up in the sierra, and
> it was
> just a small size 20 hook with cdc, no hackle or elk hair. I
> noticed when I wet it looked just like a caddis.
>
> How well would this fly work? Just grey cdc, no hackle, no
> dubbed body hair, no ellk hair?
>
> How would it work with grey cdc as dubbing for a grey caddis?

Check out the CDC and Elk ... leave off the deer wing and add a CDC
wing if you like

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/010702fotw.html

I've found the original very useful as a Caddis pattern.

For smaller sizes (18-24) ... wrap the body with CDC as at the URL
above, at the head secure the CDC then fold it back over body to form
a wing, trim to length. Quick, slick and an effective fly to boot.

Steve

Willi
October 7th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Jim Ray wrote:
> Biggest problem would seem to be finding good quality CDC in quantities
> large enough to make tying these things economically viable. Those little
> Spirit River packs just don't tie many flies! (Course it doesn't take much
> material for a #20 does it?) Any supplier suggestions?

Harry Mason carries some VERY good stuff. His 1/8 OZ packs have ALOT of
feathers.

http://www.troutflies.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=HOHcdc

Willi

Willi
October 7th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Sierra fisher wrote:

> A problem with CDC patterns is that they do not float very high. They can
> be very difficult to see. In the late summer, I usually start out with a
> size 12 with a lot of hackle so that it rides high. However is the fish
> are taking small, emerging caddis, you may not have much choice but to fish
> them

I find a cdc comparadun surprizingly easy to see. If you keep them dry
with Frog's Fanny, they float high and the wing is visible even
in areas of current. Before Charlie turned me onto Frog's Fanny, I only
used CDC flies for tough fish because once wet, they were difficult to
dry. Now I use them often especially on small flies.

Willi

Sierra fisher
October 7th, 2003, 01:52 AM
Are you treating your CDC with a floatant? Is Frog's Fanny something
special, because most people say that floatant kills CDC, i.e. it clogs its
nautural floating ability

"Willi" > wrote in message

> Sierra fisher wrote:
>
> > A problem with CDC patterns is that they do not float very high. They
can
> > be very difficult to see. In the late summer, I usually start out with
> > size 12 with a lot of hackle so that it rides high. However is the
fish
> > are taking small, emerging caddis, you may not have much choice but to
fish
> > them
>

> I find a cdc comparadun surprizingly easy to see. If you keep them dry
> with Frog's Fanny, they float high and the wing is visible even
> in areas of current. Before Charlie turned me onto Frog's Fanny, I only
> used CDC flies for tough fish because once wet, they were difficult to
> dry. Now I use them often especially on small flies.
>
> Willi

---

Svend Tang-Petersen
October 7th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Ive bought bulk CDC from this guy and the quality is pretty good. I think I payed
about 15$/bag.

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email:
SGI Pager:
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA

rw
October 7th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Sierra fisher wrote:
> Are you treating your CDC with a floatant? Is Frog's Fanny something
> special, because most people say that floatant kills CDC, i.e. it clogs its
> nautural floating ability

Frog's Fanny isn't a "floatant." It's a dessicant. A floatant, like Gink
or Albolene or any number of others, seals a fly against water -- or at
least that's the idea, but they work imperfectly at best. A dessicant
dries a fly that's already soaked.

I prefer conventional silica powder floatants over Frog's Fanny, but if
I could get the generic equivalent of Frog's Fanny for a tiny fraction
of the cost I'd reconsider. (Hint, Willi)

Lately, I've been avoiding floatants on dry flies and relying on
dessicants alone. A fresh, DRY dry fly floats pretty well, floatant or
not. It will get waterlogged sooner or later, so you'll have to use a
dessicant eventually.

Floatants work best on synthetic materials like foam, IMO. Fine hackle
and dubbing fibers, and especially CDC, get gummed up.

If I had to choose which one to forget on an outing -- floatant or
dessicant -- it would be floatant, hands down.

Svend Tang-Petersen
October 7th, 2003, 10:09 PM
And for some of the reasons you mention, never use floatant on CDC flies. At
least dont get it on the CDC.

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email:
SGI Pager:
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA

Willi
October 8th, 2003, 12:21 AM
Sierra fisher wrote:

> Are you treating your CDC with a floatant? Is Frog's Fanny something
> special, because most people say that floatant kills CDC, i.e. it clogs its
> nautural floating ability

Frog's Fanny is a type of dessicant. It is finer than others. It's a
powder than you apply with a small brush. You can take a slimed up fly,
rinse it of in the water, sponge off excess water and then treat it with
Frog's Fanny. It will look and act like a newly tied fly. IMO, it's the
only stuff that works well with CDC.

Willi

Willi
October 8th, 2003, 12:22 AM
rw wrote:
> Sierra fisher wrote:
>
>> Are you treating your CDC with a floatant? Is Frog's Fanny something
>> special, because most people say that floatant kills CDC, i.e. it
>> clogs its
>> nautural floating ability
>

> Frog's Fanny isn't a "floatant." It's a dessicant. A floatant, like Gink
> or Albolene or any number of others, seals a fly against water -- or at
> least that's the idea, but they work imperfectly at best. A dessicant
> dries a fly that's already soaked.
>
> I prefer conventional silica powder floatants over Frog's Fanny, but if
> I could get the generic equivalent of Frog's Fanny for a tiny fraction
> of the cost I'd reconsider. (Hint, Willi)

Give ya some at The Juan.

Willi