PDA

View Full Version : Fillin' the gap

Russell Durtschi
September 30th, 2003, 11:32 PM
I have the hankerin' to build a new rod. Perhaps the "one" rod. A few
months ago while out for a bike ride, I came upon a fellow casting a
flyrod on his front yard. I stopped to chat and he offered the rod to me
to cast. It was a really sweet rod and turned out to be a Cabela's SLi
5wt. His was a two piece.

So I am thinking about building this rod. I want to get a 4 piece blank
and am leaning towards the 4wt. Have any of you any experience with this
particular blank? Would the action of the 4 piece be much different than
the 2 piece? I know a couple of you have SLi's. I would be interested in
any feedback you have on this rod.

Thanks,

Russell

SWMBO is never going to go for this. Maybe if I tell her that if I buy
three blanks I get 25 dollars off of each blank. No woman can pass up a
bargin. Right?

Larry L
October 1st, 2003, 01:15 AM
oops I take it back, it's far less than $250 I looked at the wrong items

George Adams
October 1st, 2003, 01:30 AM
>From: Russell Durtschi

>So I am thinking about building this rod. I want to get a 4 piece blank
>and am leaning towards the 4wt.

Not 100% sure, but I don't think Cabela's sells Sli blanks anymore. Why not
just buy the rod? You likely wouldn't save much money by rolling your own, and
you'd get the 25 year warranty with the finished rod.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

rw
October 1st, 2003, 02:22 AM
Larry L wrote:
> oops I take it back, it's far less than $250 I looked at the wrong items

Yeah, but you're still working for about $.50/hour. :-)

Building a rod is fun and it's pretty easy. It's something that everyone
who is serious about flyfishing should consider, just for the
entertainment value, if nothing else.

I needed a 7wt, and I'm cheap by nature, so I built one. It was a cool
way to burn some of those long, lonely winter hours, and the rod is just
fine. Then I thought, "What rod will I build next?" And then I realized
that I have all the rods I need for the foreseeable future.