PDA

View Full Version : miller's may meandering #1

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
these are some photos of the first leg of my 12 day fishing sojourn.
these are in burke county, upper creek and catawba river.

this is mark bowen teasing some trout with his hump-dis-hopper.

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM
campsite on upper creek

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
creek scenes

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:20 PM

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:21 PM

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:23 PM

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:24 PM
typical wild rainbow we caught in the creek

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
interesting bedrock formation found on the creek near the cable area...

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
this one gives you some perspective...that's mark in the top right
corner of the rock face.

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
streamside

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:36 PM
end of the day, last pool, near chestnut mt. falls. we walked back,
following a trail up over raven rock cliffs shown in an earlier photo...

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:38 PM
the rest of these are of the catawba river tailwater below lake
james...this was the first of the nice brown trout i caught.

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:39 PM

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
one of the faster water stretches

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:46 PM
my friend walt winter, owner of ezflyfish.com and wilson creek
outfitters in morganton, nc... and a decent oarsman as well...

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
end of the day, looking south toward the takeout near a bridge. end of
this leg of the trip...

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
jeff wrote:

second photo shows the cable crossing from upstream, north side - after
having gotten around it. it's much more precarious than this photo
shows...and is perched about 15 feet above a deep fast pool run down on
the left of the picture. i'd probably not have done it without mark's
help. the cable is bolted in the rock on the other side, but just looped
around a rock on this side... no way through this area except by means
of this cable. i'm sure it gets easier with experience, but my vertigo
makes it a chilling part of the trip up the creek.

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 03:04 PM
raven rock cliff

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 03:08 PM
me with a catawba river brown trout

Doug
May 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM
Awesome pictures man! Few pictures make me feel like I really really want
to be there, but those do. You definitely have a talent! Where is the
Catawba river at? Google would be to easy, so I thought I'd ask. ;)

Doug

"jeff" > wrote in message
> these are some photos of the first leg of my 12 day fishing sojourn.
> these are in burke county, upper creek and catawba river.
>
> this is mark bowen teasing some trout with his hump-dis-hopper.

Wayne Harrison
May 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
"jeff" > wrote in message
> me with a catawba river brown trout

now *that's* the kind of fishing i have come to prefer--in comparison to
risking hat and ass climbing up a place like upper creek for 8" rainbows...

i'll check with you for some details.

yfitp
wayno

jeff
May 23rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
thanks... this portion of the catawba runs from lake james to and
through morganton, nc. we fished the upper half of the tailwater
stretch flowing out of lake james. lake james is below linville gorge.
a very pretty area of the state.

jeff

Doug wrote:

> Awesome pictures man! Few pictures make me feel like I really really want
> to be there, but those do. You definitely have a talent! Where is the
> Catawba river at? Google would be to easy, so I thought I'd ask. ;)
>
> Doug
>

> "jeff" > wrote in message
>
>>these are some photos of the first leg of my 12 day fishing sojourn.
>>these are in burke county, upper creek and catawba river.
>>
>>this is mark bowen teasing some trout with his hump-dis-hopper.

Opus--Mark H. Bowen
May 23rd, 2007, 10:36 PM
"jeff" > wrote in message
> these are some photos of the first leg of my 12 day fishing sojourn.
> these are in burke county, upper creek and catawba river.
>
> this is mark bowen teasing some trout with his hump-dis-hopper.

I don't recall you takin' so many pics?

I apologize for not having a camera with me on our trip :~^ ( I promise to
have one for next years foray.

Op

jeffc[_2_]
May 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
"jeff" > wrote in message
> the rest of these are of the catawba river tailwater below lake
> james...this was the first of the nice brown trout i caught.

Gaw! Shocking, after the size from the little water. Nice.