PDA

View Full Version : Oahu in late December.

Svend Tang-Petersen
October 6th, 2003, 09:40 PM
SWMBO wants to go to the islands and we'll probably end up there over
the holidays. I did a bit
of googling for bonefish etc but didnt get that many hits. Looks like
you might pick up a few Trevally
etc..

Does any one have experience with the islands that time of year ? Is it
worth bringing the gear ?

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email:
SGI Pager:
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA

Ken Fortenberry
October 6th, 2003, 10:07 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen wrote:

> SWMBO wants to go to the islands and we'll probably end up there over
> the holidays. I did a bit
> of googling for bonefish etc but didnt get that many hits. Looks like
> you might pick up a few Trevally
> etc..
>
> Does any one have experience with the islands that time of year ? Is it
> worth bringing the gear ?

I may be hallucinating this but I think I recall somebody posting that
there were trout somewhere up high and off the beaten path in Hawaii.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Svend Tang-Petersen
October 6th, 2003, 10:25 PM
Came across that as well. Apparently there are some small streams on the
larger islands with some
3-4wt fishing.

--

Svend

Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email:
SGI Pager:
1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
Mountain View
California 94043
USA

Scott Seidman
October 6th, 2003, 10:31 PM
Svend Tang-Petersen > wrote in news:3F81D35B.9590A6A9
@sgi.com:

> SWMBO wants to go to the islands and we'll probably end up there over
> the holidays. I did a bit
> of googling for bonefish etc but didnt get that many hits. Looks like
> you might pick up a few Trevally
> etc..
>
> Does any one have experience with the islands that time of year ? Is it
> worth bringing the gear ?
>
> --
>
> Svend
>
> ************************************************** *****************
> Svend Tang-Petersen, MSc Email:
> SGI Pager:
> 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy Phone: (+1) 650 933 3618
> Mountain View
> California 94043
> USA
> ************************************************** *****************

Svend-

Have you considered doing some deep-sea stuff. You can get yourself out
on a party boat with 4 or five other people on it for $75 a head, and you
don't even need to arrange to fill the boat, the captain does it for you.

It's cheap, because these guys go out about 350 days a year. Big fun!!
Ain't fly fishing, but it can be a real hoot.

Scott

Mark Anderson
October 6th, 2003, 10:56 PM
"Svend Tang-Petersen" > wrote in message

> SWMBO wants to go to the islands and we'll probably end up there over
> the holidays. I did a bit
> of googling for bonefish etc but didnt get that many hits. Looks like
> you might pick up a few Trevally
> etc..
>
> Does any one have experience with the islands that time of year ? Is it
> worth bringing the gear ?
<snip>
> Svend

Greetings,
Well not Oahu, but have shore fished the Big Island. We go over there the
first half of January, which is fairly close to the time frame you mention.
Here's a couple links with some (hopefully) useful info:

http://www.ucolick.org/~bolte/hawaii.html

http://www.mauifishing.com/shore/index.html

If you think you might fish the Islands again, (i.e. more than once), I
would recommend the 3 volume work: _Fishing Hawaii Style_ by Jim Rizutto.
It's not particularly about fly fishing, but covers just about _any_ kind
of fishing you can imagine in Hawaii. A very interesting read, IMO. It's
in paperback, so it isn't that expensive....
Check with Oahu fishing shops, there may be a fly fishing shop there. The
guy at the fishing shop I go to in Kona is always interested in talking
about fly fishing. In fact, he's got a tying vice on his counter....

Aloha,
-Mark

Bill Mason
October 7th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Funny you should ask about Hawaiian bonefish. I've had this link saved for
a while, and it might be what you're after. I have no experience with the
shop, but have attached another link to a TR of sorts that discusses the
fishing. The bonefish on the Nervous Waters home page looks like a nice
one...HTH, and have fun!

Cheers,
Bill

http://www.nervouswaterhawaii.com (The shop and guide service)
http://www.cwo.com/~cffu/html/hawaii_style.html (Report)

"Svend Tang-Petersen" > wrote in message

> SWMBO wants to go to the islands and we'll probably end up there over
> the holidays. I did a bit
> of googling for bonefish etc but didnt get that many hits. Looks like
> you might pick up a few Trevally
> etc..
>
> Does any one have experience with the islands that time of year ? Is it
> worth bringing the gear ?

Bill Mason
October 7th, 2003, 12:34 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
y.com...
> Svend Tang-Petersen wrote:
>
> I may be hallucinating this but I think I recall somebody posting that
> there were trout somewhere up high and off the beaten path in Hawaii.

That may have been me. A fairly detailed study of the trout and ecosystem
can be found at http://hbs.bishopmuseum.org/pdf/kokee.pdf and the report
includes maps. It's a REALLY big file that would be a slow download with a
dialup connection. The streams are in Kokee State Park, and AFAIK the
population of trout is now self-sustaining. I've stumbled upon a couple of
reports by those who have fished the stream system, and it sounds like a
pretty cool spot.

Cheers,
Bill