PDA

View Full Version : Northwoods Flyfishing

Ken Fortenberry
May 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM
I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
sing on cue. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

johnval1
May 29th, 2007, 12:12 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" <wrote in message
>I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
> guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
> he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
> fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
> still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
> sing on cue. ;-)

So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? Were you fly fishing or did
Steve convert you to chucking?

Ken Fortenberry
May 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
johnval1 wrote:
> "Ken Fortenberry" <wrote in message
>> I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. ...
>
> So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? Were you fly fishing or did
> Steve convert you to chucking?

That bass was caught on a fly rod but I was chucking a black
bunny diver, three pieces of lead and a 6wt sink tip line.
So I guess you could say I semi-converted. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
May 29th, 2007, 01:35 PM
"johnval1" > wrote in message
t...

> "Ken Fortenberry" <wrote in message
>>I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
>> guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
>> he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
>> fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
>> still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
>> sing on cue. ;-)
>
> So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? Were you fly fishing or did
> Steve convert you to chucking?

We had a little bit of a slow start. We were sight-fishing and there was
one particular smallie I really wanted Ken to catch. He repeatedly cast to
it, but it wasn't having anything to do with us, or at least it wasn't
having anything to do with a fly. Just out of curiosity, I pitched a 5"
stick bait in by the big girl and she sucked it right up! I thought "Oh no,
they're not going to take a fly."

Luckily, the fish's attitude changed and for a while the fish were eating on
top. It was so cool watching the bass come up in the clear water and eat
those bits of feather and fur.

Had the flies not worked, I would have coverted him to chucking! :-)

I had a great time with Ken. There was a lot of laughing and story telling
going on. It was a glorious northwoods day, unfortunately the day ended all
too quickly.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Dave LaCourse
May 29th, 2007, 03:35 PM
On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:39:32 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>johnval1 wrote:
>> "Ken Fortenberry" <wrote in message
>>> I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. ...
>>
>> So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? Were you fly fishing or did
>> Steve convert you to chucking?
>
>That bass was caught on a fly rod but I was chucking a black
>bunny diver, three pieces of lead and a 6wt sink tip line.
>So I guess you could say I semi-converted. ;-)

Oh, the humanity! Lead? Sink tip? Black Bunny Diver? Have we lost
Ken?

And what is this crap about a guide? You wouldn't go to Labrador
because the law says you must use a guide above a certain latitude.

Ken with a guide, lead, sink tip! Next thing ya know the man will be
voting Republican! It was bound to happen. We've lost the bastid!

Dave

Ken Fortenberry
May 29th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Dave LaCourse wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>> johnval1 wrote:
>>> So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? ...
>> That bass was caught on a fly rod but I was chucking a black
>> bunny diver, three pieces of lead and a 6wt sink tip line.
>
> Oh, the humanity! Lead? Sink tip? Black Bunny Diver? Have we lost
> Ken?
>
> And what is this crap about a guide? You wouldn't go to Labrador
> because the law says you must use a guide above a certain latitude.
>
> Ken with a guide, lead, sink tip! Next thing ya know the man will be
> voting Republican! It was bound to happen. We've lost the bastid!

I've had many guides over the years. Steve being one of the
best, BTW. I just don't like that stupid law in Labrador that
says I *must* have a guide. I'd hire a guide anyway, not every
day but at least once, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna hire a
guide every time I want to wet a line.

As for the chuck and duck, well, when in Rome ... ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Charles Summers
May 29th, 2007, 08:22 PM
That second picture reminds me of the one I have of Bob Redding and Dave
Norton. They were quite a pair!

Nice fish and you're right... a great guide!

"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
t...
>I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
> guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
> he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
> fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
> still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
> sing on cue. ;-)
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Charles Summers
May 30th, 2007, 04:59 AM
That boat motor looks familiar!

"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
t...
>I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
> guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
> he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
> fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
> still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
> sing on cue. ;-)
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
May 30th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Charles Summers wrote:
> That boat motor looks familiar!

Really ? I thought it looked like a motorcycle. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Cyli
May 30th, 2007, 08:37 AM
On Tue, 29 May 2007 05:57:04 -0500, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
>guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
>he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
>fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
>still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
>sing on cue. ;-)

Ken, there's a problem with your outfit. A couple of water spots on
an absolutely fresh clean and ironed looking fishing shirt aren't
enough for the ambiance. Where are the stains? Where are the
crinkles and wrinkles?

No problem with the fish, though, It's as nice one. Loon calling /
singing on cue? In the day time? Cool.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Ken Fortenberry
May 30th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Cyli wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>> I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday.
>
> Ken, there's a problem with your outfit. A couple of water spots on
> an absolutely fresh clean and ironed looking fishing shirt aren't
> enough for the ambiance. ...

That old thing ? I just happened to throw that on because my
cocktail dress was at the cleaners.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Jerry Barton
May 30th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Now Randy and Dave can talk to you about cocktail dresses..... ;-)

--
Member Of The National Association Of Photoshop Professionals

"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
et...
> Cyli wrote:
>> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>>> I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday.
>>
>> Ken, there's a problem with your outfit. A couple of water spots on
>> an absolutely fresh clean and ironed looking fishing shirt aren't
>> enough for the ambiance. ...
>
> That old thing ? I just happened to throw that on because my
> cocktail dress was at the cleaners.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

The Great Gazooka[_2_]
June 1st, 2007, 04:53 AM
On Tue, 29 May 2007 06:35:48 -0600, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers"
> wrote:

>"johnval1" > wrote in message
t...

>> "Ken Fortenberry" <wrote in message
>>>I went fishing with Steve Huber yesterday. Steve is a fantastic
>>> guide, as anyone who reads the bass newsgroup knows already, but
>>> he really went above and beyond to make a fly fisherman comfortable
>>> fishing in the Northwoods and that was incredibly professional. I'm
>>> still trying to figure out how he got the loon to hang around and
>>> sing on cue. ;-)
>>
>> So Ken, what did you catch that bass with? Were you fly fishing or did
>> Steve convert you to chucking?
>
>We had a little bit of a slow start. We were sight-fishing and there was
>one particular smallie I really wanted Ken to catch. He repeatedly cast to
>it, but it wasn't having anything to do with us, or at least it wasn't
>having anything to do with a fly. Just out of curiosity, I pitched a 5"
>stick bait in by the big girl and she sucked it right up! I thought "Oh no,
>they're not going to take a fly."
>
>Luckily, the fish's attitude changed and for a while the fish were eating on
>top. It was so cool watching the bass come up in the clear water and eat
>those bits of feather and fur.
>
>Had the flies not worked, I would have coverted him to chucking! :-)
>
>I had a great time with Ken. There was a lot of laughing and story telling
>going on. It was a glorious northwoods day, unfortunately the day ended all
>too quickly.
Yeah..........so did your fee Spammer. You could have promised
discounts for windy days...........or no shipping & handling. BUT
WAIT...............you`re a spammer!! By golly.