PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mountain Hospitality

Memphis Jim
October 10th, 2003, 06:38 PM
I've been around ROFF long enough to know the hazards of this post, and I am
prepared to be blown away . . . but here goes,

Due to the coincidence of a court hearing in Knoxville, Tennessee on October
29 (no, I am not being indicted), and a planned family trip to Asheville,
North Carolina on November 1, where I will meet up with my wife and kids, I
find that I have three days in which to traverse Smokies (120 miles from
Knoxville to Asheville on the interstate), with nothing specific on the
agenda, and no wife and kids.

This presents several possibilities for a flyfishing loner like myself. My
first thought was that I could finally fish the South Holsten and/or
Watauga, since I have made several trips to the Tri-Cities area without
getting to fish. But I'll be in Bristol again in November, and tailwater
fishing for rainbows seems like a copout when there are mountain brooktrout
in the region.

My second thought was that I could drag my bait-chucking brother-in-law in
Asheville to the delayed harvest water on the North Fork Mills River in
Rutherford County, North Carolina, and try to preach to him the gospel of
catch and release while hopefully catching a Brookies to two. That's the
easy solution.

But the more I think about this opportunity, and reflect on the hospitality
expressed in posts about the recent North Carolina Clave, this may be a good
opportunity to hook up with a ROFFian or two in the area.

So this is my plea. I will be in the mountain areas of Tennessee and North
Carolina from October 29 until November 1 with nothing better to do than to
fish, or to drive to fish, and it would be great if I could meet up with
anyone in the geographic area who might be interested in fishing with me. I
will provide beer, and more beer, and pay for a meal or two. If there's any
interest, contact me by email.

Memphis Jim

(If anyone cares, my wife the doctor is now talking about doing a fellowship
in Portland, Oregon or Seattle. That would be an interesting relocation,
fishingwise).

woody osborne
October 11th, 2003, 04:32 AM
"Memphis Jim" > wrote in message...
-snipped-

> (If anyone cares, my wife the doctor is now talking about doing a fellowship
> in Portland, Oregon or Seattle. That would be an interesting relocation,
> fishingwise).
i used to drive out there. loved the mighty columbia river(awesome
sight!!) great oppopurtunities for fishing out there in the pacific
northwest.

Memphis Jim
October 13th, 2003, 09:08 PM
> > (If anyone cares, my wife the doctor is now talking about doing a
fellowship
> > in Portland, Oregon or Seattle. That would be an interesting
relocation,
> > fishingwise).
> i used to drive out there. loved the mighty columbia river(awesome
> sight!!) great oppopurtunities for fishing out there in the pacific
> northwest.

I haven't made it out there yet, but we're planning a scouting trip in
April. Coming from the East Coast, and living in the Mississippi River
Valley, it's real hard to get a feel for how different the topography is in
the Pacific Northwest. I know that most east coast mountains are mere hills
compared to the Cascades, but other than that, it's a real unknown for me.

Memphis Jim
(a Syracuse fan mourning the continuing demise of Big East Football- I
don't want to be a basketball only fan!)