PDA

View Full Version : VERY stuck ferrule

Bill Mason
October 12th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Inspired by several recent trip reports, I took yesterday afternoon off and
hiked into my favorite (ok, *only*) local trout stream. I was having a fine
time until I executed what might best be described as a
Reid-variant...backwards plunge off a 6 foot boulder, butt glancing the rock
during the fall just enough to slow the descent with a hard landing in six
inches of water over rock. Nothing on my person seems broken, but the lower
two sections of my KPOS 3wt will simply not come apart. I've searched the
Google archives and tried a variety of past suggestions...behind the knees
pull, ice the male/heat the female, penetrating oil, two people
pulling...you get the idea. Any suggestions as to what I might try next
would be greatly appreciated, 'cause I do like this rod better as a
three-piece. Many thanks!

On another subject, has anybody heard from Danl recently? I haven't seen
any recent posts from him...sure hope things are OK.

Cheers,
Bill

Peter Charles
October 12th, 2003, 08:25 PM
On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:20:45 GMT, "Bill Mason" >
wrote:

>Inspired by several recent trip reports, I took yesterday afternoon off and
>hiked into my favorite (ok, *only*) local trout stream. I was having a fine
>time until I executed what might best be described as a
>Reid-variant...backwards plunge off a 6 foot boulder, butt glancing the rock
>during the fall just enough to slow the descent with a hard landing in six
>inches of water over rock. Nothing on my person seems broken, but the lower
>two sections of my KPOS 3wt will simply not come apart. I've searched the
>Google archives and tried a variety of past suggestions...behind the knees
>pull, ice the male/heat the female, penetrating oil, two people
>pulling...you get the idea. Any suggestions as to what I might try next
>would be greatly appreciated, 'cause I do like this rod better as a
>three-piece. Many thanks!
>
>On another subject, has anybody heard from Danl recently? I haven't seen
>any recent posts from him...sure hope things are OK.
>
>Cheers,
>Bill

You've tried everything I know, except immersing both sections in
cold water (this one works on my Sage SP). If nothing works, boil off
the end of the reel seat and use a long, thin dowel to tap it out.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
http://www.easternclave.ca

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Bill Mason
October 12th, 2003, 09:01 PM
"Peter Charles" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:20:45 GMT, "Bill Mason" >
> wrote:
>
> You've tried everything I know, except immersing both sections in
> cold water (this one works on my Sage SP). If nothing works, boil off
> the end of the reel seat and use a long, thin dowel to tap it out.

Thanks for the advice, Peter. I'll try the cold water, and from what I've
heard, removing the reel seat from a 3 Forks rod shouldn't be much of a
problem ;-)

BTW, nice shots of the spey clave. It looks like you had a good turnout,
and with a piper, too! I especially liked the grill cleaner...I used to
have one that was similar.

Cheers,
Bill

Bill Mason
October 12th, 2003, 09:15 PM
"Peter Charles" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:20:45 GMT, "Bill Mason" >
> wrote:
> You've tried everything I know, except immersing both sections in
> cold water (this one works on my Sage SP).

Bingo! Thanks again.

Cheers,
Bill

FRANK CHURCH
October 13th, 2003, 12:19 AM
"Bill Mason" > wrote in message
et...

....snip a sad story of a stuck Kpos....

Hey Bill, if nothing else works, ship it to Ken Fortenberry....I bet he'll
find a way to send it back
to you in pieces. :-))

Frank the Kpos ho' Church
....but will a 'boo live in the same rod rack?

Bill Mason
October 13th, 2003, 12:57 AM
"FRANK CHURCH" > wrote in message

> ...snip a sad story of a stuck Kpos....
>
> Hey Bill, if nothing else works, ship it to Ken Fortenberry....I bet he'll
> find a way to send it back
> to you in pieces. :-))

I have no doubt that that is true (he'd probably even pay the postage), but
it came as a 3-piece and I'd like to keep it that way! Fortunately, Peter's
trick worked.

Cheers,
Bill

Sierra fisher
October 13th, 2003, 06:39 AM
There have been two long discussions about separating ferrules on the Spey
Clave . there have been perhaps 30 different suggestions
http://www.flyfishingforum.com/speyclave/

What works most of the time is surrounding the stuck ferrule with ice
cubes. Use aluminum foil to hold the cubes in place.
other suggestions are to heat the female; to hold the rod behind your knees,
then spread your legs; use rubber gloves to get a better grip, etc

">

---

FRANK CHURCH
October 13th, 2003, 02:37 PM
"Sierra fisher" > wrote in message >

<some creative snippage here>

other suggestions are to heat the female; to hold the rod behind your knees,
then spread your legs; use rubber gloves to get a better grip, etc

OK, I won't play with this one. :)

Frank the chaste

Tim J.
October 13th, 2003, 02:52 PM
"FRANK CHURCH" wrote...

> "Sierra fisher" wrote>
>
> <some creative snippage here>
>
> other suggestions are to heat the female; to hold the rod behind your knees,
> then spread your legs; use rubber gloves to get a better grip, etc
>
> OK, I won't play with this one. :)

My personal thought was that I'd have to use both hands. . .
--
TL,
Tim

Lat705
October 13th, 2003, 03:11 PM
WD-40

Sierra fisher
October 13th, 2003, 03:28 PM
Remember the objective!! Male and female FERRULES!!
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> "FRANK CHURCH" wrote...
> >
> > "Sierra fisher" wrote>
> >
> > <some creative snippage here>
> >
> > other suggestions are to heat the female; to hold the rod behind your
knees,
> > then spread your legs; use rubber gloves to get a better grip, etc
> >
> > OK, I won't play with this one. :)
>
> My personal thought was that I'd have to use both hands. . .
> --
> TL,
> Tim
> who, in the words of the master, kicks it to start.

Brimbum
October 13th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Peter wrote:>If nothing works, boil off
>the end of the reel seat

Please send more information on the exact procedure to do this. I need to
replace that butt ugly reel seat on a kpos Temple Forks rod with a beautiful
one I just bought and have been trying to figure out how to get the old one off
without screwing anything up.
I tried to e-mail you, but it bounced and I have not figured out what I did
wrong on that either.

Big Dale

Wolfgang
October 13th, 2003, 04:26 PM
"Sierra fisher" > wrote in message

> Remember the objective!! Male and female FERRULES!!

Nasty little bitey things. Friends of mine had a couple.....used to
burrow in the couch and tear **** up. And STINK! Hoo boy! :(

Wolfgang
rats, now......that's another matter entirely.

Tim J.
October 13th, 2003, 04:42 PM
"Sierra fisher" wrote...
> Remember the objective!! Male and female FERRULES!!
> "Tim J." wrote...
> > "FRANK CHURCH" wrote...
> > > "Sierra fisher" wrote>
> > >
> > > <some creative snippage here>
> > >
> > > other suggestions are to heat the female; to hold the rod behind your
> knees,
> > > then spread your legs; use rubber gloves to get a better grip, etc
> > >
> > > OK, I won't play with this one. :)
> >
> > My personal thought was that I'd have to use both hands. . .

I WAS talking about ferrules. What were you thinking?
--
TL,
Tim

D.Scougal.
October 13th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Here is a tried and tested method which will separate almost any rod with
stuck ferrules Three people are required one person on each end holding
and GENTLY pulling on their section. The third person grasps both sections
close to the joint and revolves them through 360% making a smooth circular
motion after a
moment or two the rod will begin to separate. On larger rods a piece of
sticky tape over both sections will indicate any movement by stretching and
cracking. Then the rod will come apart. I have done dozens in my
time in the trade without any damage whatsoever.

Dastrout

"Peter Charles" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 19:20:45 GMT, "Bill Mason" >
> wrote:
>
> >Inspired by several recent trip reports, I took yesterday afternoon off
and
> >hiked into my favorite (ok, *only*) local trout stream. I was having a
fine
> >time until I executed what might best be described as a
> >Reid-variant...backwards plunge off a 6 foot boulder, butt glancing the
rock
> >during the fall just enough to slow the descent with a hard landing in
six
> >inches of water over rock. Nothing on my person seems broken, but the
lower
> >two sections of my KPOS 3wt will simply not come apart. I've searched
the
> >Google archives and tried a variety of past suggestions...behind the
knees
> >pull, ice the male/heat the female, penetrating oil, two people
> >pulling...you get the idea. Any suggestions as to what I might try next
> >would be greatly appreciated, 'cause I do like this rod better as a
> >three-piece. Many thanks!
> >
> >On another subject, has anybody heard from Danl recently? I haven't seen
> >any recent posts from him...sure hope things are OK.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Bill
> >

> You've tried everything I know, except immersing both sections in
> cold water (this one works on my Sage SP). If nothing works, boil off
> the end of the reel seat and use a long, thin dowel to tap it out.
>

> Peter
>
> turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
> Eastern Spey Clave, October 4th and 5th, 2003
> http://www.easternclave.ca
>
> Visit The Streamer Page at
http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Peter Charles
October 13th, 2003, 09:33 PM
On 13 Oct 2003 14:34:38 GMT, (Brimbum) wrote:

>Peter wrote:>If nothing works, boil off
>>the end of the reel seat
>
>Please send more information on the exact procedure to do this. I need to
>replace that butt ugly reel seat on a kpos Temple Forks rod with a beautiful
>one I just bought and have been trying to figure out how to get the old one off
>without screwing anything up.
>I tried to e-mail you, but it bounced and I have not figured out what I did
>wrong on that either.
>
>Big Dale

Bring a pot of water to a boil. The depth of the water should be
equivalent to the length of the reel seat. Stand the rod up in the
water with the reel seat immersed. After a minute or so, using an
oven mitt, grab the seat and twist it off. Works for every rod except
a Daiwa (those buggers use some kind of super epoxy that defies
removal).

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Sierra fisher
October 13th, 2003, 11:22 PM
have you done this on a upward locking reel seat where the foot of the reel
fits under the cork? I guess you can always replace the last ring of the
cork handle.

"Peter Charles" > wrote in message
> On 13 Oct 2003 14:34:38 GMT, (Brimbum) wrote:
>
> >Peter wrote:>If nothing works, boil off
> >>the end of the reel seat
> >
> >Please send more information on the exact procedure to do this. I need to
> >replace that butt ugly reel seat on a kpos Temple Forks rod with a
beautiful
> >one I just bought and have been trying to figure out how to get the old
one off
> >without screwing anything up.
> >I tried to e-mail you, but it bounced and I have not figured out what I
did
> >wrong on that either.
> >
> >Big Dale
>
> Bring a pot of water to a boil. The depth of the water should be
> equivalent to the length of the reel seat. Stand the rod up in the
> water with the reel seat immersed. After a minute or so, using an
> oven mitt, grab the seat and twist it off. Works for every rod except
> a Daiwa (those buggers use some kind of super epoxy that defies
> removal).
>

> Peter
>
> turn mailhot into hotmail to reply
>
> Visit The Streamer Page at
http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

---

Peter Charles
October 14th, 2003, 12:17 AM
On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 15:22:18 -0700, "Sierra fisher"
> wrote:

>have you done this on a upward locking reel seat where the foot of the reel
>fits under the cork? I guess you can always replace the last ring of the
>cork handle.

Yup, four times - the reel seat pulled out just fine and left the hood
and cork ring in place.

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

BJ Conner
October 18th, 2003, 04:01 PM
"Bill Mason" > wrote in message >...
> Inspired by several recent trip reports, I took yesterday afternoon off and
> hiked into my favorite (ok, *only*) local trout stream. I was having a fine
> time until I executed what might best be described as a
> Reid-variant...backwards plunge off a 6 foot boulder, butt glancing the rock
> during the fall just enough to slow the descent with a hard landing in six
> inches of water over rock. Nothing on my person seems broken, but the lower
> two sections of my KPOS 3wt will simply not come apart. I've searched the
> Google archives and tried a variety of past suggestions...behind the knees
> pull, ice the male/heat the female, penetrating oil, two people
> pulling...you get the idea. Any suggestions as to what I might try next
> would be greatly appreciated, 'cause I do like this rod better as a
> three-piece. Many thanks!
>
> On another subject, has anybody heard from Danl recently? I haven't seen
> any recent posts from him...sure hope things are OK.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill

If nothing else has worked try this. Hang the rod from the tip with a
weight on the but and let it be for a few days.
I've don it twice and it's worked. It needs to hang straight from the
tip, to get that done I've had to use string and wrap a knot that
looked a lot like a Kellum grip or a pair of Chinese handcuffs. The
trick is to get all the force on the rod in a linear direction - no
bending moments!
Tie a similar knot on the other end and for weight use a milk carton
with some water in it. I would hang it where the temperature will
vary ( like outside ) but not where it will freeze.

Bill Kiene
October 18th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Hi All,

I was at an old Atlantic Salmon fishing lodge on the Miramichi River in Nova
Scotia once and they had a old large fiberglass Fenwick fly rod hung up on
the wall in the dinning room with the ferrule stuck together. There was a
sign that said you could use it if you broke your rod while you where there.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"BJ Conner" > wrote in message
om...

> "Bill Mason" > wrote in message

> > Inspired by several recent trip reports, I took yesterday afternoon off
and
> > hiked into my favorite (ok, *only*) local trout stream. I was having a
fine
> > time until I executed what might best be described as a
> > Reid-variant...backwards plunge off a 6 foot boulder, butt glancing the
rock
> > during the fall just enough to slow the descent with a hard landing in
six
> > inches of water over rock. Nothing on my person seems broken, but the
lower
> > two sections of my KPOS 3wt will simply not come apart. I've searched
the
> > Google archives and tried a variety of past suggestions...behind the
knees
> > pull, ice the male/heat the female, penetrating oil, two people
> > pulling...you get the idea. Any suggestions as to what I might try next
> > would be greatly appreciated, 'cause I do like this rod better as a
> > three-piece. Many thanks!
> >
> > On another subject, has anybody heard from Danl recently? I haven't
seen
> > any recent posts from him...sure hope things are OK.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Bill
>
> If nothing else has worked try this. Hang the rod from the tip with a
> weight on the but and let it be for a few days.
> I've don it twice and it's worked. It needs to hang straight from the
> tip, to get that done I've had to use string and wrap a knot that
> looked a lot like a Kellum grip or a pair of Chinese handcuffs. The
> trick is to get all the force on the rod in a linear direction - no
> bending moments!
> Tie a similar knot on the other end and for weight use a milk carton
> with some water in it. I would hang it where the temperature will
> vary ( like outside ) but not where it will freeze.

Bill Mason
October 18th, 2003, 06:42 PM
"BJ Conner" > wrote in message >

> If nothing else has worked try this...

Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I was about to tie the rod to two
cars headed in opposite directions, but Peter's suggestion worked. I filled
a couple of small zip-lock bags with ice and made a ferrule sandwich. A few
minutes later a behind-the-knees-pull popped the rod apart.

Cheers,
Bill