PDA

View Full Version : OT Pirates and Nobels

Ken Fortenberry
October 13th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Newly minted Nobel Prize winner Professor Anthony Leggett of the
University of Illinois confidently predicted an Illini victory over
Michigan State, which just goes to show that Professor Leggett
should stick to physics.

The Tar Heels traveled to one of those dinky little directional
schools, North Southwestern East North Carolina Podunk School for
Pirates or something like that and not surprisingly beat both the
Pirates and the spread.

For the season;

Forty's Fighting Illini - 1
Wayno's Tar Heels - 3

2003 Nobel Prizes

University of Illinois - 2
University of North Carolina - 0

;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

JohnR
October 13th, 2003, 09:27 PM
That dinky little directional school just happens to have a med school and
played in some major bowl games just a few years ago and has almost as many
students as UNC. And who really cares about football in NC - it is just the
prelude to the real sports season - basketball. Or women's soccer depending
on your preferences.

"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
. com...
> Newly minted Nobel Prize winner Professor Anthony Leggett of the
> University of Illinois confidently predicted an Illini victory over
> Michigan State, which just goes to show that Professor Leggett
> should stick to physics.
>
> The Tar Heels traveled to one of those dinky little directional
> schools, North Southwestern East North Carolina Podunk School for
> Pirates or something like that and not surprisingly beat both the
> Pirates and the spread.
>
> For the season;
>
> Forty's Fighting Illini - 1
> Wayno's Tar Heels - 3
>
> 2003 Nobel Prizes
>
> University of Illinois - 2
> University of North Carolina - 0
>
> ;-)
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
October 13th, 2003, 09:36 PM
JohnR top posted the following:
> That dinky little directional school just happens to have a med school ...

Just happens ? What, did a med school sneak onto campus one night and
they figured what the hell, it's already here we may as well keep it ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wayne Harrison
October 13th, 2003, 09:56 PM
"JohnR" > wrote in message
hlink.net...
> That dinky little directional school just happens to have a med school and
> played in some major bowl games just a few years ago

oh, really? refresh my memory, john r... :)

and has almost as many
> students as UNC.

all of whom applied to unc and were denied admission.

And who really cares about football in NC - it is just the
> prelude to the real sports season - basketball. Or women's soccer
depending
> on your preferences.

god finds interesting ways to test our resolve. in my case, i happen to
be a truly fanatical college football nut, locked for eternity in
association with an alma mater that considers having a top ten football team
the rough equivalent of hitting the virginia lottery. we have done it about
three times since i watched my first game in chapel hill, an absolute ass
whippin of the tejas longhorns, in 1948.

your friend in the real carolina
wayno

> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Newly minted Nobel Prize winner Professor Anthony Leggett of the
> > University of Illinois confidently predicted an Illini victory over
> > Michigan State, which just goes to show that Professor Leggett
> > should stick to physics.
> >
> > The Tar Heels traveled to one of those dinky little directional
> > schools, North Southwestern East North Carolina Podunk School for
> > Pirates or something like that and not surprisingly beat both the
> > Pirates and the spread.
> >
> > For the season;
> >
> > Forty's Fighting Illini - 1
> > Wayno's Tar Heels - 3
> >
> > 2003 Nobel Prizes
> >
> > University of Illinois - 2
> > University of North Carolina - 0
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > --
> > Ken Fortenberry

Memphis Jim
October 13th, 2003, 10:24 PM

> god finds interesting ways to test our resolve. in my case, i happen
> be a truly fanatical college football nut, locked for eternity in
> association with an alma mater that considers having a top ten football
team
> the rough equivalent of hitting the virginia lottery. we have done it
about
> three times since i watched my first game in chapel hill, an absolute ass
> whippin of the tejas longhorns, in 1948.

Can I sidle up next to you at the bar, Wayno?

It dawned on me today as I considered the implications of Boston College
(and Miami and Viginia Tech.) going to the ACC, that the mediocrity of
Syracuse Football in recent years, and the mediocrity of the Syracuse
Administration in dealing with the ACC raid, will have lasting if not
permanent implications for the football program.

This is the first time I have stated this, so forgive me if I stumble (or
retch): With the National Championship in basketball, a dismantling of Big
East football, and a consistently mediocre football team, Syracuse is just
like UNC, Indiana, and (gulp) Duke . . . high achievers in basketball, and
pathetic in football . . . I want to cry!

There, I've accepted it, how long before I get my 12 step certificate.

Memphis Jim

Brimbum
October 13th, 2003, 10:43 PM
wayno wrote> god finds interesting ways to test our resolve. in my case, i
happen to
>be a truly fanatical college football nut, locked for eternity in
>association with an alma mater that considers having a top ten football team
>the rough equivalent of hitting the virginia lottery. we have done it about
>three times since i watched my first game in chapel hill, an absolute ass
>whippin of the tejas longhorns, in 1948.
>
>your friend in the real carolina
>wayno

I suspect that there are a lot of folks down in Austin that would like to tar
and feather your former coach and send him back to North Carolina this week.

Big Dale

Jeff Miller
October 13th, 2003, 11:55 PM
you tell it, john!!

but, we really do suck in football this year. it's kinda fun, actually.
problem is, we're even worse in basketball. now baseball...well, we're
pretty much ok <g>. and, women's soccer... well, i bet ours are
prettier than illnoise's.

jeff

JohnR wrote:

> That dinky little directional school just happens to have a med school and
> played in some major bowl games just a few years ago and has almost as many
> students as UNC. And who really cares about football in NC - it is just the
> prelude to the real sports season - basketball. Or women's soccer depending
> on your preferences.
>
> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> . com...
>
>>Newly minted Nobel Prize winner Professor Anthony Leggett of the
>>University of Illinois confidently predicted an Illini victory over
>>Michigan State, which just goes to show that Professor Leggett
>>should stick to physics.
>>
>>The Tar Heels traveled to one of those dinky little directional
>>schools, North Southwestern East North Carolina Podunk School for
>>Pirates or something like that and not surprisingly beat both the
>>Pirates and the spread.
>>
>>For the season;
>>
>>Forty's Fighting Illini - 1
>>Wayno's Tar Heels - 3
>>
>>2003 Nobel Prizes
>>
>>University of Illinois - 2
>>University of North Carolina - 0
>>
>>;-)
>>
>>--
>>Ken Fortenberry

Jeff Miller
October 14th, 2003, 12:02 AM
um... guess i'll be printing a copy of this one for delivery to pj. <g>

jeff (ah... how the regal blue blood doth drip from those with the
upturned nose)

Wayne Harrison wrote:

> "JohnR" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
>
>>That dinky little directional school just happens to have a med school and
>>played in some major bowl games just a few years ago
>

> oh, really? refresh my memory, john r... :)
>
> and has almost as many
>
>>students as UNC.
>

> all of whom applied to unc and were denied admission.
>

> And who really cares about football in NC - it is just the
>
>>prelude to the real sports season - basketball. Or women's soccer
>
> depending
>
>>on your preferences.
>

> god finds interesting ways to test our resolve. in my case, i happen to
> be a truly fanatical college football nut, locked for eternity in
> association with an alma mater that considers having a top ten football team
> the rough equivalent of hitting the virginia lottery. we have done it about
> three times since i watched my first game in chapel hill, an absolute ass
> whippin of the tejas longhorns, in 1948.
>
> your friend in the real carolina
> wayno
>
>>"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
. com...

>>>Newly minted Nobel Prize winner Professor Anthony Leggett of the
>>>University of Illinois confidently predicted an Illini victory over
>>>Michigan State, which just goes to show that Professor Leggett
>>>should stick to physics.
>>>
>>>The Tar Heels traveled to one of those dinky little directional
>>>schools, North Southwestern East North Carolina Podunk School for
>>>Pirates or something like that and not surprisingly beat both the
>>>Pirates and the spread.
>>>
>>>For the season;
>>>
>>>Forty's Fighting Illini - 1
>>>Wayno's Tar Heels - 3
>>>
>>>2003 Nobel Prizes
>>>
>>>University of Illinois - 2
>>>University of North Carolina - 0
>>>
>>>;-)
>>>
>>>--
>>>Ken Fortenberry

JohnR
October 14th, 2003, 01:17 AM
Wayno,

Even though I think of it as ECTC and love sticking it to alumni of said
school, I have to admit that they have been to more bowl games - recently -
than my Heels.

And moreover, I'll be damned if I let someone from some Midwestern cow
college cast aspersions on a North Carolina school even if I would do it.

As for being a football nut in NC, you can rejoice in the fact that the
Panthers are still (gasp) undefeated.

My problem is that I've always gone to a basketball school whether it was
Guilford or Carolina.

-John R
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message

> "JohnR" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > That dinky little directional school just happens to have a med school
and
> > played in some major bowl games just a few years ago
>
> oh, really? refresh my memory, john r... :)
>
> and has almost as many
> > students as UNC.
>
> all of whom applied to unc and were denied admission.
>

> And who really cares about football in NC - it is just the
> > prelude to the real sports season - basketball. Or women's soccer
> depending
> > on your preferences.
>
> god finds interesting ways to test our resolve. in my case, i happen
> be a truly fanatical college football nut, locked for eternity in
> association with an alma mater that considers having a top ten football
team
> the rough equivalent of hitting the virginia lottery. we have done it
about
> three times since i watched my first game in chapel hill, an absolute ass
> whippin of the tejas longhorns, in 1948.
>
> your friend in the real carolina
> wayno
> >
> > "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> > . com...
> > > Newly minted Nobel Prize winner Professor Anthony Leggett of the
> > > University of Illinois confidently predicted an Illini victory over
> > > Michigan State, which just goes to show that Professor Leggett
> > > should stick to physics.
> > >
> > > The Tar Heels traveled to one of those dinky little directional
> > > schools, North Southwestern East North Carolina Podunk School for
> > > Pirates or something like that and not surprisingly beat both the
> > > Pirates and the spread.
> > >
> > > For the season;
> > >
> > > Forty's Fighting Illini - 1
> > > Wayno's Tar Heels - 3
> > >
> > > 2003 Nobel Prizes
> > >
> > > University of Illinois - 2
> > > University of North Carolina - 0
> > >
> > > ;-)
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
October 14th, 2003, 01:34 AM
JohnR wrote:
> And moreover, I'll be damned if I let someone from some Midwestern cow
> college cast aspersions on a North Carolina school even if I would do it.

Good grief, those weren't aspersions, those were expressions of
benign solicitude. We here in Illinois have every reason to wish
the citizens of North Carolina all the best of luck in educating
her citizens. Why hell, I will personally send a great big box of
64 Crayola Crayons to the Old North State if you think it will
help.

--
Ken Fortenberry

rw
October 14th, 2003, 03:13 AM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> Good grief, those weren't aspersions, those were expressions of
> benign solicitude. We here in Illinois have every reason to wish
> the citizens of North Carolina all the best of luck in educating
> her citizens. Why hell, I will personally send a great big box of
> 64 Crayola Crayons to the Old North State if you think it will
> help.

The fishing must be pretty slow in Illinois right now.