PDA

View Full Version : mystery bug frustration

Mu Young Lee
October 14th, 2003, 02:15 AM
Over the years I have encountered on stillwaters and slow moving sections
of rivers a type of bug that has been impossible to imitate. It is
typically 3 millimeters long and looks very much like a housefly without
any fuzz. It's not a mayfly and it's not a midge. It's got a thick
body, no tails and very clear wings. Last week I met up with these bugs
again in a tiny creek where several good sized fish were rising
aggressively. Anyone what they might be?

Mu

MikeT
October 14th, 2003, 04:32 PM
Sounds like you're describing blackflies.

Mike T

"Mu Young Lee" > wrote in message
c.itd.umich.edu...
> Over the years I have encountered on stillwaters and slow moving sections
> of rivers a type of bug that has been impossible to imitate. It is
> typically 3 millimeters long and looks very much like a housefly without
> any fuzz. It's not a mayfly and it's not a midge. It's got a thick
> body, no tails and very clear wings. Last week I met up with these bugs
> again in a tiny creek where several good sized fish were rising
> aggressively. Anyone what they might be?
>
> Mu

Skwala
October 14th, 2003, 04:32 PM
"Mu Young Lee" > wrote in message
c.itd.umich.edu...
> Over the years I have encountered on stillwaters and slow moving sections
> of rivers a type of bug that has been impossible to imitate. It is
> typically 3 millimeters long and looks very much like a housefly without
> any fuzz. It's not a mayfly and it's not a midge. It's got a thick
> body, no tails and very clear wings. Last week I met up with these bugs
> again in a tiny creek where several good sized fish were rising
> aggressively. Anyone what they might be?
>
> Mu

It sounds like you descibed a very small Circada, perhps ?

A quick Google search indicates they do come in 3 mm sizes.

Mu Young Lee
October 14th, 2003, 06:29 PM
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Skwala wrote:

> It sounds like you descibed a very small Circada, perhps ?

There are cicadas that hatch from the water?

Mu

Mu Young Lee
October 14th, 2003, 06:30 PM
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, MikeT wrote:

> Sounds like you're describing blackflies.

But these bugs don;t bite.

Mu

Skwala
October 14th, 2003, 07:35 PM
"Mu Young Lee" > wrote in message
pcc.itd.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, Skwala wrote:
> >
> > It sounds like you descibed a very small Circada, perhps ?
>
> There are cicadas that hatch from the water?
>
> Mu

Not that I know about, but they do hatch from bark the extends over the
water, or from close to the water and are blown in to it.

I've seen big cicadas (approx. 1 inch) cause trout rises in central Montana
streams and beaver ponds, when they hatched in pretty good numbers and were
blown into the water.

But come to think about it, I've only seen circadas in summer months (but
I've never seen a 3 mm one, either).

Skwala

George Cleveland
October 14th, 2003, 07:56 PM
On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:30:40 -0400, Mu Young Lee > wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, MikeT wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you're describing blackflies.
>
>But these bugs don;t bite.
>
>Mu
Plus blackflies don't like stillwater IIRC. They are more attracted to
whitewater. Maybe you've discovered a new species! Simulida Vang Splorkus.

g.c.

bruiser
October 15th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Cranefly? Weird Caddis?

bruce h

riverman
October 15th, 2003, 05:30 PM
"Mu Young Lee" > wrote in message
pcc.itd.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, MikeT wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you're describing blackflies.
>
> But these bugs don;t bite.
>
> Mu

Can you get a picture and post it?

--riverman

Mu Young Lee
October 15th, 2003, 06:11 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, riverman wrote:

> Can you get a picture and post it?

Didn;t have my camera with me. Also wouldn;t have done much good as I
don't have macro mode on it.

Mu

Skwala
October 15th, 2003, 07:01 PM
"Mu Young Lee" > wrote in message
. itd.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, riverman wrote:
> >
> > Can you get a picture and post it?
>
> Didn;t have my camera with me. Also wouldn;t have done much good as I
> don't have macro mode on it.
>
> Mu

Did it look simular to this ?

http://www.cirrusimage.com/homoptera_cicada.htm

October 16th, 2003, 03:48 AM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:01:16 -0700, "Skwala"
> wrote:

>Did it look simular to this ?
>
>http://www.cirrusimage.com/homoptera_cicada.htm

Wonderful page leading to many other wonderful pages. Thanks.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Russell
October 16th, 2003, 05:19 PM
wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:01:16 -0700, "Skwala"
> > wrote:
>

>>Did it look simular to this ?
>>
>>http://www.cirrusimage.com/homoptera_cicada.htm
>>

> Wonderful page leading to many other wonderful pages. Thanks.
> --

No kidding - great web site.

Russell
I'm bookmarking that one.

Mu Young Lee
October 16th, 2003, 08:11 PM
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Skwala wrote:

> Did it look simular to this ?
> http://www.cirrusimage.com/homoptera_cicada.htm

No. Growing up in NYC we had lots of cicadas and this bug was not a
cicada. Have you ever seen flies that look very similar to hornets except
that upon close inspection the head is that of a fly and not that of a
wasp? This is what these bugs resembled except they had a less pointy
tail and were all black. The trout were taking emergers.

Mu

Skwala
October 16th, 2003, 09:30 PM
"Mu Young Lee" > wrote in message
.itd.umich.edu...
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Skwala wrote:
> >
> > Did it look simular to this ?
> > http://www.cirrusimage.com/homoptera_cicada.htm
>
> No. Growing up in NYC we had lots of cicadas and this bug was not a
> cicada. Have you ever seen flies that look very similar to hornets except
> that upon close inspection the head is that of a fly and not that of a
> wasp? This is what these bugs resembled except they had a less pointy
> tail and were all black. The trout were taking emergers.
>
> Mu
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds like something from Diptera when you descibe it like that...

http://ic.ucsc.edu/~dletour/envs108/entomology/fly/img/tabanid.JPG
http://ic.ucsc.edu/~dletour/envs108/entomology/fly/pages/diptera.htm

many sp. are aquatic, but I consider it a blessing that I have never fished
or lived in areas that they hatch in such numbers to become important trout
fodder.

I have never witnessed an actual "hatch" that caused the trout to get
interested, and I don't think I'd want to
(I speak of the house/horse fly types, not craneflies and chironomids, of
course).

Skwala

Willi
October 17th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Mu Young Lee wrote:

> Over the years I have encountered on stillwaters and slow moving sections
> of rivers a type of bug that has been impossible to imitate. It is
> typically 3 millimeters long and looks very much like a housefly without
> any fuzz. It's not a mayfly and it's not a midge. It's got a thick
> body, no tails and very clear wings. Last week I met up with these bugs
> again in a tiny creek where several good sized fish were rising
> aggressively. Anyone what they might be?
>
> Mu

Maybe this?

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/brbibio/
Willi

no
October 17th, 2003, 05:07 AM
In article
. umich.edu>,
Mu Young Lee > wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Skwala wrote:
> >
> > Did it look simular to this ?
> > http://www.cirrusimage.com/homoptera_cicada.htm
>
> No. Growing up in NYC we had lots of cicadas and this bug was not a
> cicada. Have you ever seen flies that look very similar to hornets except
> that upon close inspection the head is that of a fly and not that of a
> wasp? This is what these bugs resembled except they had a less pointy
> tail and were all black. The trout were taking emergers.
>
> Mu

If it is such a thorn in your side why dont you take one with a net and
take it to a fly shop? If they cant identify it I am sure they can
direct you to a entymologist.

rw
October 18th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Mu Young Lee wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2003, Skwala wrote:
>
>>Did it look simular to this ?
>>http://www.cirrusimage.com/homoptera_cicada.htm
>

> No. Growing up in NYC we had lots of cicadas and this bug was not a
> cicada. Have you ever seen flies that look very similar to hornets except
> that upon close inspection the head is that of a fly and not that of a
> wasp? This is what these bugs resembled except they had a less pointy
> tail and were all black. The trout were taking emergers.

There are quite a few species of flies that mimic bees and wasps in the
suborder Nematocera of Diptera. Here's a fast-loading site that might
help. Try looking at the "Thumbnail collection."

http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/insects/inddip.htm

pw
October 19th, 2003, 05:19 AM
>Over the years I have encountered on stillwaters and slow moving sections
>of rivers a type of bug that has been impossible to imitate. It is
>typically 3 millimeters long and looks very much like a housefly without
>any fuzz. It's not a mayfly and it's not a midge. It's got a thick
>body, no tails and very clear wings. Last week I met up with these bugs
>again in a tiny creek where several good sized fish were rising
>aggressively. Anyone what they might be?
>
>Mu

Are you sure the trout were eating them?

-pw

-pw
livingston/emigrant,montana
please use "pw at williamsonenterprises dot com" for e-mail
thanks