PDA

View Full Version : 17 Cicada and Penns

Frank Reid
October 14th, 2003, 09:13 PM
In late May next year, there is a chance that we may see the hatch of brood
X of the 17-year cicada
http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/~biodiv/Cicada_Project/brood10dis.html at
Penns. Penns is right on the edge of the brood X area. I've been told by a
few greybeards here 'bouts that for smallmouth and trout, this is some of
the most incredible fishing opportunities to be found in the central East
coast region.
Flies for this big, nasty fella can be found at:
http://www.mikesfishing.com/flybox/fly2.asp?Number=42&Name=NZ+Cicada (hmm,
could this be? Well, yes it is! Its Clark Reid!)
http://www2.roundrocks.com/rrproduct.w?pt=0214-070 (Well, this one's for
sale)
http://www.utahonthefly.com/flytying/flyarchive/cicada.htm

Its worth a shot.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Frank Reid
October 15th, 2003, 02:04 AM
> Flies for this big, nasty fella can be found at:
> http://www.mikesfishing.com/flybox/fly2.asp?Number=42&Name=NZ+Cicada
(hmm,
> could this be? Well, yes it is! Its Clark Reid!)

Just found out that the link I used for Clark's Cicada doesn't work. Try:
<http://gallery.bcentral.com/Gallery/ProductDetails.aspx?GID=4860248&PID=239
9316&page=1&sortOrder=0>

By the way, I've no connection with any of these sites or vendors.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

vincent p. norris
October 15th, 2003, 03:29 AM
>In late May next year, there is a chance that we may see the hatch of brood
>X of the 17-year cicada... at Penns.

By golly, Frank, Greg Hoover mentioned that about a week ago! I forgot
to pass it along! He was talking about getting some bright orange
deer hair to tie cicadas.

I can't get the first web site you posted, but the flies on the
second and third sites have no orange on them.

I think Greg will be willing to share his pattern. If so, I'll post
it.

vince

Cornmuse
October 15th, 2003, 02:17 PM
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message
> In late May next year, there is a chance that we may see the hatch of
brood
> X of the 17-year cicada

I remeber fishing this in 87. It is a fantastic opportunity. There were
quite a few of the cicadas out this year. These are very large bugs,
averaging a size 4 or maybe even a 2. Black and green are predominant
colors with, of course, those bright red eyes. The noise they make en masse
is spectacular - sounds like a flying saucer landing in your back yard!
Shades of Outter Limits!!! I have posted a couple images of the bugs at
alt.binaries.pictures.fishing.

Maybe this is a good subject for a fly swap? It will make this winter a
little warmer to be tying BIG top water bugs with the knowledge that they
will get quite a work out. Anyone interested?

Joe C.