PDA

View Full Version : JFIADDFS flies arrived today!

Tim Carter
October 15th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Thanks Tim for putting on this swap and thanks to all the tiers...the
anticipation of receiving them and the oohs and aahs after getting them make
it more than worthwhile!

Warren
October 15th, 2003, 12:33 AM
wrote...
> Thanks Tim for putting on this swap and thanks to all the tiers...the
> anticipation of receiving them and the oohs and aahs after getting them make
> it more than worthwhile!

Yeah, thanks Tim. And thanks to the tiers for tying up such a neat batch of
flies.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Wayne P
October 15th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Got mine today also . . . Nice flies !!

wayne

"Warren" > wrote in message
> wrote...
> > Thanks Tim for putting on this swap and thanks to all the tiers...the
> > anticipation of receiving them and the oohs and aahs after getting them
make
> > it more than worthwhile!
>
> Yeah, thanks Tim. And thanks to the tiers for tying up such a neat batch
of
> flies.
> --
> Warren
> (use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Tim J.
October 15th, 2003, 12:46 AM
"Tim Carter" wrote...
> Thanks Tim for putting on this swap . . .

Yer welcome - it was a lot of fun.

> and thanks to all the tiers...the
> anticipation of receiving them and the oohs and aahs after getting them make
> it more than worthwhile!

I got to see them first - phttttttttt. We really have a lot of talent in this
group, present company excepted.

BTW, I have a new camera and am attempting to take the pix myself. It ain't as
easy as it looks. :( Once I get the distance down (about 1 1/2 - 2 inches with
a 17X or 10X macro lens), I should have the pictures to Stan for publishing in
the hall of fame.

Also BTW, because of the Columbus Day holiday, the flies to the Australia and
Canada swappers didn't go out until today, so look for those in about a week.
The UK swapper needs to send me a mailing address so I can send the flies.
--
TL,
Tim

rw
October 15th, 2003, 02:30 AM
Tim Carter wrote:
> Thanks Tim for putting on this swap and thanks to all the tiers...the
> anticipation of receiving them and the oohs and aahs after getting them make
> it more than worthwhile!

Would someone please translate "JFIADDFS" for me? I guess the last two
letters stand for "fly swap." :-)

Tim J.
October 15th, 2003, 03:17 AM
"rw" wrote...
> Tim Carter wrote:
> > Thanks Tim for putting on this swap and thanks to all the tiers...the
> > anticipation of receiving them and the oohs and aahs after getting them make
> > it more than worthwhile!
>
> Would someone please translate "JFIADDFS" for me? I guess the last two
> letters stand for "fly swap." :-)

The actual name is JFNLIADDFS :)

Joe Fleischman No Longer In Absentia Dog Days Fly Swap
--
TL,
Tim

Tim Carter
October 15th, 2003, 03:18 AM
I have to keep referring to google.com to remind me as well (the copy and
paste job also kept this formatting if you can see it in your reader as
purple...)

Joe Fleischman In-Absentia Dog Days Fly Swap

"rw" > wrote in message
. ..
> Tim Carter wrote:
> > Thanks Tim for putting on this swap and thanks to all the tiers...the
> > anticipation of receiving them and the oohs and aahs after getting them
make
> > it more than worthwhile!
>
> Would someone please translate "JFIADDFS" for me? I guess the last two
> letters stand for "fly swap." :-)
>
> --
> Cut "to the chase" for my email address.

Stan Gula
October 15th, 2003, 05:42 AM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> "Tim Carter" wrote...
> > Thanks Tim for putting on this swap . . .
>
> Yer welcome - it was a lot of fun.

So, since all those long distance guys are already receiving their flies, I
guess you're holding mine for ransom?

Brimbum
October 15th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Tim wrote:>
>Thanks Tim for putting on this swap and thanks to all the tiers...the
>anticipation of receiving them and the oohs and aahs after getting them make
>it more than worthwhile!

I could not agree more. the flies were on the top of the stack of mail I picked
up at the post office this morning after returning from The North Carolina
Clave. I just purchased a 8.5 foot 4 piece 3 weight Temple Fork rod that will
be perfect for all those soft hackle flies. The guys at the Roadkill Roundtable
will again be very impressed when I do the "show and tell thing" at next
Saturday's meeting of The Roadkill Roundtable. I always show them the fly swap
flies and we all get to enjoy the talents of this group. I suspect I will be
tying a bunch of Warren's fly and the Sanchez foam-wing hopper tied by Paul
Williamson before next summer. I will also tie them in a more yellow color for
our local hopper hatchs and tying it in both size 10 for my beloved little 3
weight rods and size 2/0 for a larger rod and catfish.

Thanks to Tim for hosting the swap and to all of the others for their
participation as well.

Big Dale

Tim J.
October 15th, 2003, 11:42 AM
"Stan Gula" wrote...
> "Tim J." wrote...
> > "Tim Carter" wrote...
> > > Thanks Tim for putting on this swap . . .
> >
> > Yer welcome - it was a lot of fun.
>
> So, since all those long distance guys are already receiving their flies, I
> guess you're holding mine for ransom?

Since I care, I wanted to make sure the flies were operational. I am in the
process of field testing your batch and will let you know how well they
function. :)

I can mail them or give them to you when we meet within the next few weeks -
your choice. I still hold out hope that this Saturday is not a weather-bust and
I can give them to you then.
--
TL,
Tim

Stan Gula
October 15th, 2003, 02:26 PM
> Since I care, I wanted to make sure the flies were operational. I am in
the
> process of field testing your batch and will let you know how well they
> function. :)

Good deal. Make sure you take the tags off first so they're easier to pull
out of the branches.

Joe McIntosh
October 15th, 2003, 02:34 PM
"Brimbum" > wrote in message
> flies and we all get to enjoy the talents of this group. I suspect I will
be
> tying a bunchthe Sanchez foam-wing hopper tied by Paul
> Williamson before next summer. I will also tie them in a more yellow color
for
> our local hopper hatchs and tying it in both size 10 for my beloved little
3
> weight rods and size 2/0 for a larger rod and catfish.
>
>IJ says --Dale sorry i missed your exit from clave--good to see you
Paul any chance to describe or picture your foam fly on roff ? For me foam
is the way to go and if Big Dale is impressed it must be a good one.

Tim J.
October 15th, 2003, 02:42 PM
"Joe McIntosh" wrote...

> "Brimbum" wrote...
> > flies and we all get to enjoy the talents of this group. I suspect I will
> be
> > tying a bunchthe Sanchez foam-wing hopper tied by Paul
> > Williamson before next summer. I will also tie them in a more yellow color
> for
> > our local hopper hatchs and tying it in both size 10 for my beloved little
> 3
> > weight rods and size 2/0 for a larger rod and catfish.
> >
> >IJ says --Dale sorry i missed your exit from clave--good to see you
> Paul any chance to describe or picture your foam fly on roff ? For me foam
> is the way to go and if Big Dale is impressed it must be a good one.

IJ - The pictures of all the flies will probably be posted sometime in the next
few weeks, depending on my schedule and Stan's as well. There were several
really nice foam bugs in this batch. Stay tuned. . .
--
TL,
Tim

DaveMohnsen
October 15th, 2003, 02:54 PM
"Tim Carter" > wrote in message
> Thanks Tim for putting on this swap and thanks to all the tiers...the
> anticipation of receiving them and the oohs and aahs after getting them
make
> it more than worthwhile!

Got mine as well. Thanks Tim and everybody who participated.
BestWishes,
DaveMohnsen
Denver

Gordon Burr
October 15th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Tim and all the tyers,

Just got mine yesterday. Wonderful job by all. Plan to use them as patterns for
my own tying. Don't want to spoil the "samples" by using them too early.

The Black and gold bugger I tied was very successful in New York while salmon
fishing on Orwell brook and South Sandy Creek. Also had great success on West
Canada Creek and the Ausable.

Hope they work for you as well. Thanks for the swap guys.
The worst day on the water beats the best day in the office.

Gordo

Stan Gula
October 15th, 2003, 03:23 PM
"Joe McIntosh" > wrote in message

> >IJ says --Dale sorry i missed your exit from clave--good to see you
> Paul any chance to describe or picture your foam fly on roff ? For me
foam
> is the way to go and if Big Dale is impressed it must be a good one.

I'll have the photos up in a couple of days. I put up the one I have
already (curiously, it's the one I tied...)
http://gula.org/roffswaps/recipe.php?page=DD2003&id=7

slenon
October 15th, 2003, 11:02 PM
A small package of goodies arrived today, looking as if the contents were
ready to swim, hop, and crawl into some enticing positions guaranteed to
lure any trout in the vicinity. Thank, Tim, for running this swap, and
thanks to all the participants who made such great flies for me to drown.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Brimbum
October 16th, 2003, 12:45 AM
slenon wrote snip:>thanks to all the participants who made such great flies for
me to drown.

Hope the ladyfish down your way like them.

Brimbum

slenon
October 16th, 2003, 02:00 AM
>Hope the ladyfish down your way like them.
>Brimbum

Now that's an image to conjure with, hooking into one using an 18 midge and
trying to land it.

I'll likely save the ones that came today for my next trip north to trout
waters. Until then, they're great models to copy.

--

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

pw
October 16th, 2003, 10:31 PM
>>IJ says --Dale sorry i missed your exit from clave--good to see you
>Paul any chance to describe or picture your foam fly on roff ? For me foam
>is the way to go and if Big Dale is impressed it must be a good one.

Joe - I think Tim will eventually post pictures of them on a web page.

Hang on http://shop.flyfishing.about.com/fly_archive/details/74.htm

Tons of foam flies there! Wow!

Any way - I dubbed the body instead of doing it like Scott does (deer
hair on double-sided tape). I should have had Scott show me how to
tie one of these before he moved back to Jackson this summer.

The trout don't seem to mind my version!

-pw

-pw
livingston/emigrant,montana
please use "pw at williamsonenterprises dot com" for e-mail
thanks

Willi
October 17th, 2003, 02:29 AM
Brimbum wrote:

>size 2/0 for a larger rod and catfish.

Do you get catfish to hit on the surface?

Willi

Warren
October 17th, 2003, 01:56 PM
wrote...
> Any way - I dubbed the body instead of doing it like Scott does (deer
> hair on double-sided tape). I should have had Scott show me how to
> tie one of these before he moved back to Jackson this summer.

He moved back to Jackson? That sucks! He was a damn fine addition at Dan
Bailey's! I lived a couple of blocks from the shop and had regular
"instructions" from Scott while I lived there. I am sad to hear that he is no
longer there......

> The trout don't seem to mind my version!

I can't see why they would! It is a damn nice pattern. The cutts liked that
pattern at the Rock Crick Clave.

You up for a float trip on the Jellystone soon? I'll bring the boat, beer and
row. I like meeting my neighbors. Or we can try and hit the browns moving up
the Madison if you like. I need to get up there for a "recon" mission for next
year's clave. ;-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

pw
October 17th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Hi Warren,

>He moved back to Jackson? That sucks! He was a damn fine addition at Dan
>Bailey's! I lived a couple of blocks from the shop and had regular
>"instructions" from Scott while I lived there. I am sad to hear that he is no
>longer there.....

Wasn't "his" choice. His wife got a better offer for a teaching job
there.
..

>> The trout don't seem to mind my version!
>
>I can't see why they would! It is a damn nice pattern. The cutts liked that
>pattern at the Rock Crick Clave.
>
>You up for a float trip on the Jellystone soon? I'll bring the boat, beer and
>row. I like meeting my neighbors. Or we can try and hit the browns moving up
>the Madison if you like. I need to get up there for a "recon" mission for next
>year's clave. ;-)

Either or Warren! If you come here, we can use my Clacka. Heck, I
have only fished from it twice! Wife doesn't row, and my clients
think just because they pay me money they don't have to row :-).

I'd love to do the Madison also (we can use your boat). What stretch?

The only days I can do it next week is Friday on, as I have to wear a
suit and tie most of next week.

-paul

-pw
livingston/emigrant,montana
please use "pw at williamsonenterprises dot com" for e-mail
thanks

Tim J.
October 17th, 2003, 05:57 PM
"pw" wrote...
> >He moved back to Jackson? That sucks! He was a damn fine addition at Dan
> >Bailey's! I lived a couple of blocks from the shop and had regular
> >"instructions" from Scott while I lived there. I am sad to hear that he is
no
> >longer there.....
>
> Wasn't "his" choice. His wife got a better offer for a teaching job
> there.
> .
> >
> >> The trout don't seem to mind my version!
> >
> >I can't see why they would! It is a damn nice pattern. The cutts liked that
> >pattern at the Rock Crick Clave.
> >
> >You up for a float trip on the Jellystone soon? I'll bring the boat, beer
and
> >row. I like meeting my neighbors. Or we can try and hit the browns moving
up
> >the Madison if you like. I need to get up there for a "recon" mission for
next
> >year's clave. ;-)
>
> Either or Warren! If you come here, we can use my Clacka. Heck, I
> have only fished from it twice! Wife doesn't row, and my clients
> think just because they pay me money they don't have to row :-).
>
> I'd love to do the Madison also (we can use your boat). What stretch?
>
> The only days I can do it next week is Friday on, as I have to wear a
> suit and tie most of next week.

A few years ago I was heading somewhere on business in a suit and tie and came
upon a body of water that was too good to pass up. The fish didn't seem to care
much one way or the other about the outfit, 'though I did get some odd looks
from fishers. It *was* a strange looking combo with hip boots and the vest. :)
--
TL,
Tim

Jeff Miller
October 18th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Warren wrote:

> ...for next
> year's clave. ;-)

and, the scheduled dates are??

jeff (it's never too soon to be thinkin "montana")

Warren
October 18th, 2003, 01:13 AM
wrote...

> Warren wrote:
>
> > ...for next
> > year's clave. ;-)
>
> and, the scheduled dates are??

July 10-17.

> jeff (it's never too soon to be thinkin "montana")

You're always welcome back. I have some new small towns for you to check out.
I think you would get a kick out of the "Grocery Store / Bus Depot"
:-)
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Jeff Miller
October 18th, 2003, 01:35 AM
Warren wrote:

> I think you would get a kick out of the "Grocery Store / Bus Depot"
> :-)

ok...buy beer, and take a bus ride to where? lookin forward to it,
wherever i might end up...

jeff

Brimbum
October 18th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Willie wrote:>Do you get catfish to hit on the surface?

Sometimes. They love those huge hoppers. There are at least three lakes in the
Dallas Area that get HUGE hopper hatches for a while in the summer. There was a
10 pound channel cat reported taken on the surface a couple of years ago. I
have never taken one that big, butt the ones that weight from 2 to 6 pounds are
a hell of a lot of fun.

Big Dale

Brimbum
October 18th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Steve wrote:>Now that's an image to conjure with, hooking into one using an 18
midge and
>trying to land it.
>
>I'll likely save the ones that came today for my next trip north to trout
>waters. Until then, they're great models to copy.

I have a friend by the name of Skip Shorb who specializes in tying a size 32
woven extended body mayfly and after someeone saw him tie it at the FFF
Conclave in Gulf Shores someone on another board said it was for baby tarpon.

Big Dale

theflyguy
October 21st, 2003, 11:57 PM
My flies just arrived and just wanted to say I am seriously humbled by you
guys. thanks for letting me participate.

Jeff H.