PDA

View Full Version : casting for casting advice

Larry L
October 16th, 2003, 04:59 PM
I'm 100% self taught as a fly caster and the truth is, my instructor wasn't
too good.

Normally, my abilities are fine with me, although I do see a lot of other FF
point my direction and laugh as I cast. I can manipulate the line into
curves and around rocks and, generally, get it to serve it's fish catching
function ... at the short ranges I normally fish. I actually prefer the
challenge of getting closer to the fish to casting tests, anyway.

But, every year, about this time (Striper time and 'ain't nothing left but
stillwaters' time ) I become aware of my failing as a distance caster.

My question
...after a comment. I'm a little afraid to get too involved in trying to
relearn casting.
I fear three things
1) getting so self-conscious that I actually get worse ( I've seen golfer
friends do this, 'think' themselves into troubles ) and lose the short line
abilities seeking long line fishing I only do a few days / year .. I can
live without really casting a long line well, have for nearly 40 years
2) falling into a blame the tools trap, that sees me out senselessly
spending on new miracle rods ( I'm a sucker )
3) losing fishing skills to casting skills ( some [ not all TJ :-) ] really
skilled 'tight loop' guys I see can't fish worth a damn and it 'appears' to
be related to their casting skill ... they consistently choose to cast
rather than fish ... wailing a long line to the other side while wondering
what those things flashing away from their feet are :-)

Have any suggestions for videos/ books on long line casting? Have any
experience in "re-learning" to cast after many many years of doing it the
wrong way? Opinions on whether it would be worth the effort for a few days
a year, when much of my fishing sees me backing up to get far enough away to
cast? Opinions on where/ how to practice? ( I see suggestions to 'practice'
without a rod and such that stretch my old fart view of reality )

JR
October 16th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Larry L wrote:

> But, every year, about this time (Striper time and 'ain't nothing left but
> stillwaters' time ) I become aware of my failing as a distance caster.
>
> My question
> ..after a comment. I'm a little afraid to get too involved in trying to
> relearn casting.
> I fear three things
> 1) getting so self-conscious that I actually get worse .........
> 2) falling into a blame the tools trap .........
> 3) losing fishing skills to casting skills ........

I improved my distance casting (somewhat) by concentrating on learning
to haul and double haul better. It's true that too much thinking made
my hauling worse before it got better, but--perhaps because these aren't
techniques that I use at shorter distances--working on them didn't at
all confound my "normal" casting.

On the other hand, an earlier attempt to improve my distance casting by
switching to a stiffer rod and screwing with the timing of my casting
stroke was disasterous.

JR

CB
October 16th, 2003, 09:22 PM
An hour with a pro might be a better way to spend the money as opposed to a
book or video because he or she will be able to tell you what to work on and
what to leave alone. More importantly, a person can answer a question.

That said, I got more distance when I finally figured out the rod stop on
the back and fore cast.

Good luck.

Chris Brown

Larry L
October 16th, 2003, 09:35 PM
How does one find such instructors?

CB
October 16th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Do you have a local fly shop? Often, there is at least one that they can
refer you to. In my area, the adult education program through the local
junior college/school district offers class. Local fly fishing club is
another place to check out.

Chris

Mu Young Lee
October 16th, 2003, 11:41 PM
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Larry L wrote:

> Have any suggestions for videos/ books on long line casting?

Troubleshooting the Cast by Ed Jaworski (sp?)

My wife took some photos of me while I was casting several years ago. It
was very clear I was breaking my back cast at the wrist and that my arm
motion was too low. I think you may want to videotape yourself in order
to catch some of the more obvious mistakes you may be making.

Mu

Larry L
October 17th, 2003, 12:31 AM
"Mu Young Lee" > wrote

I think you may want to videotape yourself in order
> to catch some of the more obvious mistakes you may be making.

I think that is a cool idea, thanks

asadi
October 17th, 2003, 01:20 AM
I practiced on a lawn next to an office building with those big reflective
mirrors.....I've never had much luck getting women to do what I want with a
video camera....

john

"Mu Young Lee" > wrote in message
pcc.itd.umich.edu...
> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Larry L wrote:
> >
> > Have any suggestions for videos/ books on long line casting?
>
> Troubleshooting the Cast by Ed Jaworski (sp?)
>
> My wife took some photos of me while I was casting several years ago. It
> was very clear I was breaking my back cast at the wrist and that my arm
> motion was too low. I think you may want to videotape yourself in order
> to catch some of the more obvious mistakes you may be making.
>
> Mu

Peter Charles
October 17th, 2003, 01:30 AM
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:41:24 -0400, Mu Young Lee >
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Larry L wrote:
>>
>> Have any suggestions for videos/ books on long line casting?
>
>Troubleshooting the Cast by Ed Jaworski (sp?)
>
>My wife took some photos of me while I was casting several years ago. It
>was very clear I was breaking my back cast at the wrist and that my arm
>motion was too low. I think you may want to videotape yourself in order
>to catch some of the more obvious mistakes you may be making.
>
>Mu

Mu probably has the best advice -- nothing like seeing your mistakes
first-hand. -- Greg sent me a video of my spey casting :(

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

Mark
October 17th, 2003, 05:07 AM
Neither was mine... but I DID recently get a little help. I bought a copy
of Mel Krieger's "The Essence of Flycasting"... and BOY it did a number on
my casting... I am SO much better now, it's not even funny. Hell, I might
even let some ROFF people see me cast now!

Anyway, I highly recommend it. It certainly helped me!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0011379610869a&type=product&cmCat=static_product

"Larry L" > wrote in message
> I'm 100% self taught as a fly caster and the truth is, my instructor
wasn't
> too good.

brians
October 17th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Mark wrote:

> Neither was mine... but I DID recently get a little help. I bought a copy
> of Mel Krieger's "The Essence of Flycasting"... and BOY it did a number on
> my casting... I am SO much better now, it's not even funny. Hell, I might
> even let some ROFF people see me cast now!
>
> Anyway, I highly recommend it. It certainly helped me!
>
> http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0011379610869a&type=product&cmCat=static_product

....and if i'm not mistaken, Larry, aren't you in California? Mel Krieger
is from the Bay Area and does casting seminars at different fly
shops/clubs. Most any fly shop can give a lesson or two.

brians

October 18th, 2003, 06:30 AM
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 15:59:18 GMT, "Larry L"
> wrote:

>My question
>..after a comment. I'm a little afraid to get too involved in trying to
>relearn casting.
>I fear three things
>1) getting so self-conscious that I actually get worse

Been there, doing that.

I got one piece of actual advice (lots of help with my setup and some
information, but that's beside the point) on my casting when on the
Traveling Clave. I've been trying to follow it and am at the total
mess stage still. Confident I'll get it eventually, but I may have to
break back to spin casting for a while.

I was told that I was fine up to the backcast just before the cast
that counts. Gah. I started looking back over my shoulder. The
advice was right. Now all my backcasts suck. But it will get better.
I'm sure it will. Next year will be better. Eventually...
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

riverman
October 18th, 2003, 08:46 PM
> wrote in message

> I was told that I was fine up to the backcast just before the cast
> that counts. Gah.

I do the same thing, Cyli. Its like I false cast perectly
until...the....cast.....that.........will......... put........the.......fly..
.....right...........TH--argghH!
Now, I do this stupid thing that works really well. I actually lie to
myself, and think "OK, next cast will be the one", but then I stop one cast
early. I know it sounds like I'm kidding, but it really works.

One other question: is it pronounced "Kylie", "Sylie", "Silly" or what? I
can't figger it out.

--riverman

October 18th, 2003, 10:17 PM
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:46:54 +0100, "riverman" >
wrote:

>One other question: is it pronounced "Kylie", "Sylie", "Silly" or what? I
>can't figger it out.

Cyli is pronounced 'silly'. My friends had some trouble at first and
thought I meant 'sigh-lee'. No. I tend to take myself _way_ too
seriously and need to lighten up sometimes, so I shortened my previous
username (Cylise, pronounced 'sill- lease') on BBSes to this and it
stuck.

Half the new people hired at work choke on it when introduced and some
can never call me by it, but we have another Nancy there, so using my
username works fine. My old BBS buddies were so accustomed to it
that when they started visi and I came on as a customer, they
automatically gave it to me as a username. When I went to work there,
some called me by it and when we got another Nancy, my whole
department I'm associated with found it easier to distinguish us that
way and some of the others use it, too.

It may help that I'm just a little bit eccentric, too.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.
Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Jeff Miller
October 18th, 2003, 10:24 PM
wrote:

> It may help that I'm just a little bit eccentric, too.
> --

no need to be so modest, cyli. <g>

jeff

Wolfgang
October 18th, 2003, 11:20 PM
"Larry L" > wrote in message

> I'm 100% self taught as a fly caster and the truth is, my instructor
wasn't
> too good....

In such cases the damage can, under certain circumstances at any rate, be
undone. On the other hand, if the student was lacking......well......

Wolfgang
who was every bit the equal of his tutor.

Wolfgang
October 19th, 2003, 12:28 AM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message

> wrote:
>

> > It may help that I'm just a little bit eccentric, too.
> > --
> >

> no need to be so modest, cyli. <g>
>
> jeff

Having seen thee and me and Cyli, and reflecting on the fact that we all
used the same sauna on the same night, it occurs to one that modesty ain't
all that bad a character trait. :)

Wolfgang
who, remembering a certain full moon in nc, wishes that wayno were so
afflicted! :(

Peter Charles
October 20th, 2003, 02:08 AM
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:26:08 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:30:44 -0400, Peter Charles
> wrote:
>

>>Mu probably has the best advice -- nothing like seeing your mistakes
>>first-hand. -- Greg sent me a video of my spey casting :(
>

> Gee, I wish I could spey cast as bad as that.....

Ya, I was in a real unhappy place today -- left bank, strong
downstream wind so everything was on the left side -- not pretty at
all.

and I lost a fly to a pike of all things . . .

Peter

turn mailhot into hotmail to reply

Visit The Streamer Page at http://www.mountaincable.net/~pcharles/streamers/index.html

October 20th, 2003, 03:46 AM
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:28:22 -0500, "Wolfgang" >
wrote:

>Having seen thee and me and Cyli, and reflecting on the fact that we all
>used the same sauna on the same night, it occurs to one that modesty ain't
>all that bad a character trait. :)

Uh, er, uh. Yeah.

The physical modesty has crept up on me as my body had crept down on
me. Oh, yeah, and as certain kinds of common sense have taken a firmer
hold in my psyche.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.
Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

riverman
October 20th, 2003, 07:45 AM
> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:28:22 -0500, "Wolfgang" >
> wrote:
>

> >Having seen thee and me and Cyli, and reflecting on the fact that we all
> >used the same sauna on the same night, it occurs to one that modesty
ain't
> >all that bad a character trait. :)
> >

> Uh, er, uh. Yeah.
>
> The physical modesty has crept up on me as my body had crept down on
> me. Oh, yeah, and as certain kinds of common sense have taken a firmer
> hold in my psyche.

Well, at least SOMETHING has taken a firmer hold.

--riverman
(been there, doing that)

Herman Nijland
October 20th, 2003, 09:13 AM
riverman wrote:

> Well, at least SOMETHING has taken a firmer hold.
>
> --riverman
> (been there, doing that)

Beware Myron, not too much - it might make you blind.
--
Herman (packing black sunglasses and a cane)

riverman
October 20th, 2003, 06:48 PM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:45:25 +0100, "riverman" >
> wrote:
>

> >Well, at least SOMETHING has taken a firmer hold.
>

> You guys are pitiless.

No, no. I got pits. They're under the flaps on my arms there, somewhere....

--riverman
(ain't what I used to be, and I never was!)

October 21st, 2003, 05:08 AM
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:27:24 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:45:25 +0100, "riverman" >
>wrote:
>

>>Well, at least SOMETHING has taken a firmer hold.
>

> You guys are pitiless.

That's ROFF for you.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.
Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

daytripper
October 21st, 2003, 06:26 AM
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 23:08:25 -0500, wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 17:27:24 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 07:45:25 +0100, "riverman" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Well, at least SOMETHING has taken a firmer hold.
>>

>> You guys are pitiless.
>

>That's ROFF for you.

Yes, "Group Without Pity" has a certain truthful ring to it.

/daytripper (otoh, I frequent worse places...)

Blain Olbert
October 22nd, 2003, 05:13 PM
Hi Larry,

There's a good written blurb by George Roberts on distance casting at:

http://www.flyfishsal****ers.com/fly_casting_less_effort.htm

He also has a video Sal****er Fly-Casting: 10 Steps to Distance and Power,
which is available at:

http://www.whitemouseflyfishing.com

I can't vouch for the video (haven't seen it), but his writing is
informative.

On a philosophical note, why care what others think about your casting
style? I never met a mortal man or woman that was supremely competent to
pass judgment on somebody else's casting.

My dad never cast more than about 30 feet and was an outstanding stillwater
flyfisher even though he rarely cast a fly in his later years (he was more
interested in his goal of a +25 lb lake trout, and so stuck to hardware).
Like you, he was very successful with a short line because he knew how to
fish the fly. I however was more interested in distance & precision
casting, and learned the tricks to lace out the line to the backing. Only
after the old man outfished me daily for an entire season did I settle down
& cast to fish rather than cast for the sake of casting.

Re/ specific attempts to answer your questions:

1. Don't worry what others think - the 'snicker' crowd are probably
butt-heads anyway that flyfish for all the wrong reasons.

2. The flyrod does play an important role in distance casting. You need a
rod that will fully "absorb" the power of your casting stroke & transmit it
efficiently to your flyline. In rod manufacturer terms, the rod must "load"
and "unload" properly. Your natural casting stroke may respond very well to
some rod designs re/ distance, and not well to others. For example, my
sweet little 7 wt Orvis Superfine pack rod (no longer made) is very slow
action (made with low stiffness graphite composite); it simply cannot absorb
the power of my casting stroke beyond some critical level. It basically
wimps out & won't deliver more than about 60 ft of line (and that's with
real finesse). My modern, fast-action, 7 wt Sage rods can lay out 90 ft of
line with just a few double haul cycles and a good line shoot, and while
working a open loop (I nearly always use one or two dropper flies, and the
normal tight loop tends to encourage line/leader snagging).

So if looking for significant increase in distance, you may need to hunt
around for a fast action rod. The best bet is to visit your local flyshop &
bug the hell out of the staff, casting everything under the sun (with a full
rig: line + reel).

3. I totally agree that many folks put on a good casting demo & a very poor
fishing demo. And with proper timing & application of power, you can throw
an open loop and shoot a lot of line with conventional weight forward
tapers - I do it all the time. But the tight loop is the first goal to
achieve.

And casting can be learned, or-re-learned, by anybody. The secret is the
desire to learn, like most things in life.

Good luck,
Blain

"JR" > wrote in message
> Larry L wrote:
> >
> > But, every year, about this time (Striper time and 'ain't nothing left
but
> > stillwaters' time ) I become aware of my failing as a distance caster.
> >
> > My question
> > ..after a comment. I'm a little afraid to get too involved in trying
> > relearn casting.
> > I fear three things
> > 1) getting so self-conscious that I actually get worse .........
> > 2) falling into a blame the tools trap .........
> > 3) losing fishing skills to casting skills ........
>
> I improved my distance casting (somewhat) by concentrating on learning
> to haul and double haul better. It's true that too much thinking made
> my hauling worse before it got better, but--perhaps because these aren't
> techniques that I use at shorter distances--working on them didn't at
> all confound my "normal" casting.
>
> On the other hand, an earlier attempt to improve my distance casting by
> switching to a stiffer rod and screwing with the timing of my casting
> stroke was disasterous.
>
> JR

October 24th, 2003, 04:11 AM
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:13:48 -0700, "Blain Olbert"
> wrote:

>On a philosophical note, why care what others think about your casting
>style? I never met a mortal man or woman that was supremely competent to
>pass judgment on somebody else's casting.

In my case it's because I can't lay the blasted fly down properly as
much of the time as I'd like. The whole line tends to flail the water
instead of settling gently and then the tippet dropping the little
thing in place like a naturally falling bug. Distance where I fish is
of little importance. 30 feet is fine with me (and wider than some
parts of some of the streams I fish.). Putting the fly down right
takes a minimum of good casting. Most good casting seems to look a
lot the same, when I watch those who catch fish.

So I want to be able to do that. Then do that where I'm sure the fish
are. Once I can do that, I'll not worry all that much about how it
looks, though I'll still want it to _feel_ right.

--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.
Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

George Cleveland
October 24th, 2003, 11:20 AM
On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:11:44 -0500, wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:13:48 -0700, "Blain Olbert"
> wrote:
>

>>On a philosophical note, why care what others think about your casting
>>style? I never met a mortal man or woman that was supremely competent to
>>pass judgment on somebody else's casting.
>
>In my case it's because I can't lay the blasted fly down properly as
>much of the time as I'd like. The whole line tends to flail the water
>instead of settling gently and then the tippet dropping the little
>thing in place like a naturally falling bug. Distance where I fish is
>of little importance. 30 feet is fine with me (and wider than some
>parts of some of the streams I fish.). Putting the fly down right
>takes a minimum of good casting. Most good casting seems to look a
>lot the same, when I watch those who catch fish.
>
>So I want to be able to do that. Then do that where I'm sure the fish
>are. Once I can do that, I'll not worry all that much about how it
>looks, though I'll still want it to _feel_ right.
>
>--
>
>rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
>Often taunted by trout.
>Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.
>
>http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Well Cyli, there is another Wisconsin clave being held in early June just a few
miles from MN on the Rush. There are always casting clinics (and tying ones,
too) at these things. Its a long time away and most of the best trouting will of
the year will be winding down by then but keep it in the back of your mind,eh?

g.c.

October 25th, 2003, 07:11 PM
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:20:38 GMT,
(George Cleveland) wrote:

>Well Cyli, there is another Wisconsin clave being held in early June just a few
>miles from MN on the Rush. There are always casting clinics (and tying ones,
>too) at these things. Its a long time away and most of the best trouting will of
>the year will be winding down by then but keep it in the back of your mind,eh?

Cool. Might not be able to do the first week in June, but I should
have free time after that.

I assume it'll show up on the WI flyfishing board?
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.
Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

George Cleveland
October 25th, 2003, 07:40 PM
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:11:22 -0500, wrote:

>On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:20:38 GMT,
>(George Cleveland) wrote:
>

>>Well Cyli, there is another Wisconsin clave being held in early June just a few
>>miles from MN on the Rush. There are always casting clinics (and tying ones,
>>too) at these things. Its a long time away and most of the best trouting will of
>>the year will be winding down by then but keep it in the back of your mind,eh?
>>

>Cool. Might not be able to do the first week in June, but I should
>have free time after that.
>
>I assume it'll show up on the WI flyfishing board?
>--
>
>rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
>Often taunted by trout.
>Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.
>
>http://www.visi.com/~cyli
Its June 11-13. Here's a link:

http://www.wisflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=General;action=display;num=106665879 7;start=8#8

It should be right in the middle of local, somewhat unusual sulphur species (E.
needhami) emergence.

g.c.

October 26th, 2003, 03:29 AM
On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 18:40:12 GMT,
(George Cleveland) wrote:

>On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 13:11:22 -0500, wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:20:38 GMT,
>>(George Cleveland) wrote:
>>

>>>Well Cyli, there is another Wisconsin clave being held in early June just a few
>>>miles from MN on the Rush.
>>

>Its June 11-13. Here's a link:
>
>http://www.wisflyfishing.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=General;action=display;num=106665879 7;start=8#8
>
>It should be right in the middle of local, somewhat unusual sulphur species (E.
>needhami) emergence.

Okay. Thanks. Going there now.

--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.
Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Don Phillipson
October 26th, 2003, 03:24 PM
> wrote in message

> In my case it's because I can't lay the blasted fly down properly as
> much of the time as I'd like. The whole line tends to flail the water
> instead of settling gently and then the tippet dropping the little
> thing in place like a naturally falling bug. Distance where I fish is
> of little importance. 30 feet is fine with me (and wider than some
> parts of some of the streams I fish.). Putting the fly down right

Charles Ritz emphasizes we should not
cast at the water but at a point a yard above
the water: so that after forward motion
stops line and leader both fall gently.
Have you tried this?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

October 26th, 2003, 09:27 PM
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:24:47 -0500, "Don Phillipson"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
>
>> In my case it's because I can't lay the blasted fly down properly as
>> much of the time as I'd like. The whole line tends to flail the water
>> instead of settling gently and then the tippet dropping the little
>> thing in place like a naturally falling bug. Distance where I fish is
>> of little importance. 30 feet is fine with me (and wider than some
>> parts of some of the streams I fish.). Putting the fly down right
>
>Charles Ritz emphasizes we should not
>cast at the water but at a point a yard above
>the water: so that after forward motion
>stops line and leader both fall gently.
>Have you tried this?

No. Never heard of it. Makes great sense, though. I'll try to
remember it.