PDA

View Full Version : Lewis and Clark "fly shop": what's the deal?

Conan the Librarian
October 17th, 2003, 02:56 PM
ROFFians,

Has anyone had any dealings with these folks? I placed an order
online with them 2+ weeks ago, and have sent them numerous e-mails
with no response. Initially I simply wanted to update the order, but
now I'm starting to wonder what's up with them.

They list a fax number but no phone number on their website, but I
managed to get a number and address via one of the online yellow page
sites. I have called several times with no response, and they don't
even have an answering machine or voicemail.

So, is my experience unique, or is this a shady business?

FWIW, I don't normally post negative comments about companies in a
public forum like this. I like to give them the benefit of the doubt,
but these folks are starting to frustrate me with their concept of
"customer service".

Chuck Vance

slenon
October 17th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Chuck, I had an equally disturbing experience with them. I placed a
moderate sized order on line and requested to be notified when the order was
shipped and provided with tracking numbers. After several days with no
communication from them, I e-mailed them asking for order status updates.
No response from them. Next, I found a phone number at their website and
called. There was an answering machine then. I asked for a status update,
giving all the information that they needed to find my account/order and
update me. After 48 hours of no further contact, I called that number again
and cancelled my order verbally and followed it up with e-mail cancelling
the order as well.

I've never heard anything from them but, on the plus side, they never billed
me for the things they didn't send.

I won't deal with them ever again. I didn't make any online comments about
this as I wondered if my experience was the result of them being on an
extended vacation or having to deal with illness or injury. But as I've
never received any apology or explanation, they apparently weren't concerned
about my business. Sounds to me, given your post, that they are people to
be avoided and that others should be cautioned about dealing with them.

--

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

George Adams
October 17th, 2003, 10:37 PM
I placed a small order with them last winter. It took just this side of forever
to get here. I had actually forgotten about the order until they emailed me
confirming shipment, apologizing for lateness, claiming ilness had slowed them
down. I got everything I ordered, but it took a *long* time. With good
suppliers like Ezflyfish and Hook and Hackle around, I see no need to deal with
Lewis and Clark again.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

walt winter
October 18th, 2003, 01:35 AM
George Adams wrote:
> I placed a small order with them last winter. It took just this side of forever
> to get here. I had actually forgotten about the order until they emailed me
> confirming shipment, apologizing for lateness, claiming ilness had slowed them
> down. I got everything I ordered, but it took a *long* time. With good
> suppliers like Ezflyfish and Hook and Hackle around, I see no need to deal with
> Lewis and Clark again.
>

> George Adams
>
> "All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
> youth that doth not grow stale with age."
> ---- J.W Muller

thanks George.

--wally

Conan the Librarian
October 20th, 2003, 02:38 PM
(George Adams) wrote in message >...

> I placed a small order with them last winter. It took just this side of forever
> to get here. I had actually forgotten about the order until they emailed me
> confirming shipment, apologizing for lateness, claiming ilness had slowed them
> down. I got everything I ordered, but it took a *long* time. With good
> suppliers like Ezflyfish and Hook and Hackle around, I see no need to deal with
> Lewis and Clark again.

Thanks to those who responded to my question. I got some personal
e-mails as well, and it seems like there is a consensus. I will not
be doing business with Lewis and Clark again.

To clarify one thing: I have had nothing but good luck with all of
the other suppliers I have dealt with (Walt's shop, Hunter's, Hook &
Hackle, etc.). I tried L&C because of one particular item that they
offered that I couldn't find through any other online suppliers.
While I was placing that order I decided to add to it with other
essentials. (You all know how that goes. :-)

Never again.

Chuck Vance

George Adams
October 20th, 2003, 03:25 PM
>From: (Conan the Librarian)

> I tried L&C because of one particular item that they
>offered that I couldn't find through any other online suppliers.

Same here. At the time I ordered there was a lot of discussion on ROFF about
Eagle Claw hooks. L&W had the best selection I could find online, so I ordered
a few different styles and sizes along with some Frog's Fanny. I eventually
got everything I ordered, but , as I said, it took so long I had forgotten
about the order. Never again.

BTW, the Eagle Claw hooks are a good value, at least in the styles and sizes I
bought.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Kurt E. Huhner
January 18th, 2004, 12:46 AM
I had the same exact problems! Although I initially received part of my
order (60%) the rest I am waiting on. I ordered in November! I submitted
claims to the Upstate BBB
(http://search.buffalo.bbb.org/nis/newsearch2.asp?ID=1&ComID=004100002100361
2), the NY State Attorney Generals Office for fraud
(http://www.oag.state.ny.us/online_forms/complaint_alert.jsp) and sent a
request to ALL the major NYC TV stations investigative reports. I urge
everyone to do the same so the Attorney Generals office will have multiple
complaints.

I assumed the went bankrupt. But what really got me was I noticed they've
updated the site (specifically the "Whats New" link) since I've placed the
order. I've tried for days to email and call with zero response. What
chutzpah!

Kurt

"Conan the Librarian" > wrote in message
om...
> (George Adams) wrote in message
>
> > I placed a small order with them last winter. It took just this side of
forever
> > to get here. I had actually forgotten about the order until they emailed
me
> > confirming shipment, apologizing for lateness, claiming ilness had
slowed them
> > down. I got everything I ordered, but it took a *long* time. With good
> > suppliers like Ezflyfish and Hook and Hackle around, I see no need to
deal with
> > Lewis and Clark again.
>
> Thanks to those who responded to my question. I got some personal
> e-mails as well, and it seems like there is a consensus. I will not
> be doing business with Lewis and Clark again.
>
> To clarify one thing: I have had nothing but good luck with all of
> the other suppliers I have dealt with (Walt's shop, Hunter's, Hook &
> Hackle, etc.). I tried L&C because of one particular item that they
> offered that I couldn't find through any other online suppliers.
> While I was placing that order I decided to add to it with other
> essentials. (You all know how that goes. :-)
>
> Never again.
>

> Chuck Vance

Kurt E. Huhner
January 18th, 2004, 12:47 AM