PDA

View Full Version : PING: Charlie Wilson

Darin Minor
October 18th, 2003, 10:50 PM
Anita Gomez wrote:

> Charlie, I believe it was you that said that you had contracted the West
> Nile Virus, so I got a question for ya.
>
> What were your symtoms?
>
> I have a *good* friend and co-worker who's wife has come down with some
> mysterious malady that is causein' her to have Grand Mal (sp?) seizures.
> The doctors haven't figured it out yet and don't seem to adept at this
> particular illness. Her seizures have been increasin' in intensity and
> frequency, with durations of 2 minutes and occurrin' about one every hour or
> so now. They have put her on several anti-seizure meds, but nothin' seems
> to be workin'.
>
> Op --no, I'm not a doctor, but I play one when I can't flyfish.--

Op

Here is Charlie's email address in case you need it.

Darin

Darin Minor
October 18th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Darin Minor wrote:

> Anita Gomez wrote:
>
> > Charlie, I believe it was you that said that you had contracted the West
> > Nile Virus, so I got a question for ya.
> >
> > What were your symtoms?
> >
> > I have a *good* friend and co-worker who's wife has come down with some
> > mysterious malady that is causein' her to have Grand Mal (sp?) seizures.
> > The doctors haven't figured it out yet and don't seem to adept at this
> > particular illness. Her seizures have been increasin' in intensity and
> > frequency, with durations of 2 minutes and occurrin' about one every hour or
> > so now. They have put her on several anti-seizure meds, but nothin' seems
> > to be workin'.
> >
> > Op --no, I'm not a doctor, but I play one when I can't flyfish.--
>
> Op
>
> Here is Charlie's email address in case you need it.
>
> Darin

This was supposed to go to Op not ROFF. Sorry about that.

Darin

Anita Gomez
October 18th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Charlie, I believe it was you that said that you had contracted the West
Nile Virus, so I got a question for ya.

What were your symtoms?

I have a *good* friend and co-worker who's wife has come down with some
mysterious malady that is causein' her to have Grand Mal (sp?) seizures.
The doctors haven't figured it out yet and don't seem to adept at this
particular illness. Her seizures have been increasin' in intensity and
frequency, with durations of 2 minutes and occurrin' about one every hour or
so now. They have put her on several anti-seizure meds, but nothin' seems
to be workin'.

Op --no, I'm not a doctor, but I play one when I can't flyfish.--

Charlie Wilson
October 19th, 2003, 02:34 AM
"Darin Minor" wrote:
> Here is Charlie's email address in case you need it.

That's an old addie, remove "your panties" on this one to reply.

Charlie Wilson
October 19th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Op, dressed in drag as "Anita Gomez" wrote:..
> Charlie, I believe it was you that said that you had contracted the West
> Nile Virus, so I got a question for ya.
>
> What were your symtoms?
>
> I have a *good* friend and co-worker who's wife has come down with some
> mysterious malady that is causein' her to have Grand Mal (sp?) seizures.
> The doctors haven't figured it out yet and don't seem to adept at this
> particular illness. Her seizures have been increasin' in intensity and
> frequency, with durations of 2 minutes and occurrin' about one every hour
or
> so now. They have put her on several anti-seizure meds, but nothin' seems
> to be workin'.

It was kind of like a real bad case of the flu, minus the barfing.
Extreme muscular aches and weakness, major headache, nausea and general
malaise, and a crusty rash on my neck. The real bad symptoms only lasted for
about three days, but the weakness and mild dizziness lasted for a couple of
weeks.

Guyz-N-Flyz
October 19th, 2003, 02:52 AM
"Charlie Wilson" > wrote in message
> It was kind of like a real bad case of the flu, minus the barfing.
> Extreme muscular aches and weakness, major headache, nausea and general
> malaise, and a crusty rash on my neck. The real bad symptoms only lasted
for
> about three days, but the weakness and mild dizziness lasted for a couple
of
> weeks.

Thanks Charlie!

Those symptoms are nothing like what Anita has, so I guess I should stick to
my day job--unless they fire me, of course.

They finally got her neurologist to come in about 8:00 PM this eve and she
did a spinal tap. They had increased Anita's Dilantan (sp?) and that seems
to have reduced the frequency of seizures, so far, but they still don't know
what they are dealin' with. She had 5 seizures from 10 AM to 3 PM today.
Damn frightenin' to see, I tell ya.

Thanks again for you timely response. I would have taken this to e-mail,
but I was usin' Anita's 'puter when I posted.

Op --thinkin' about becomin' a prayin' man, I think?--

Guyz-N-Flyz
October 19th, 2003, 02:54 AM
"Darin Minor" > wrote in message
> Here is Charlie's email address in case you need it.
>
> Darin

Thanks for the assist Darin! Mighty kind of ya.

Op --the transgender poster-boy at ROFF--

Darin Minor
October 19th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Charlie Wilson wrote:

> "Darin Minor" wrote:
> > Here is Charlie's email address in case you need it.
> >
> That's an old addie, remove "your panties" on this one to reply.

That makes me feel better about posting your addie.

Darin

walt winter
October 19th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Charlie Wilson wrote:
> It was kind of like a real bad case of the flu, minus the barfing.
> Extreme muscular aches and weakness, major headache, nausea and general
> malaise, and a crusty rash on my neck. The real bad symptoms only lasted for
> about three days, but the weakness and mild dizziness lasted for a couple of
> weeks.

dang Charlie, I missed that bit of news about your health. Glad
to see you are better.

walt

Wolfgang
October 19th, 2003, 04:02 PM
"Charlie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Op, dressed in drag as "Anita Gomez" wrote:..
> > Charlie, I believe it was you that said that you had contracted the West
> > Nile Virus, so I got a question for ya.
> >
> > What were your symtoms?

> It was kind of like a real bad case of the flu, minus the barfing.
> Extreme muscular aches and weakness, major headache, nausea and general
> malaise, and a crusty rash on my neck. The real bad symptoms only lasted
for
> about three days, but the weakness and mild dizziness lasted for a couple
of
> weeks.

Sounds a lot like the aftermath of every clave I've attended........um,
except for the no barfing part. You sure you weren't just on a fishing trip
somewhere?

Wolfgang
clean and sober since june......well, mostly. :(

Jeff Miller
October 19th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> clean and sober since june......well, mostly. :(

so that's what kept you from carolina this year. i heard they were
gonna add a 13th step to the program. <g>

jeff

Charlie Wilson
October 19th, 2003, 10:06 PM
"walt winter" wrote:
> dang Charlie, I missed that bit of news about your health. Glad
> to see you are better.

It was about the worst month of my life. I was bedridden with a
herniated disc when West Nile hit, I hadn't recovered from either when my
mom passed away. I thought things could only get better but I just learned
my dad is starting chemo this week for metastatic melanoma.

Gloomy Gus

Wolfgang
October 19th, 2003, 11:25 PM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message

> Wolfgang wrote:
>
> > clean and sober since june......well, mostly. :(
> >

> so that's what kept you from carolina this year. i heard they were
> gonna add a 13th step to the program. <g>
>
> jeff

Hell, it don't matter much how many there are. After the third or fourth
glass of wine I can never remember what comes after one. :(

Wolfgang
who happens to be enjoying a nice glass of yellow tail shiraz while
preparing a supper of baked salmon and ripe tomatoes on a bed of arugula,
radicchio and avocado......with a bit of couscous to help soak up the tomato
juice and lime vinaigrette.

Tim J.
October 20th, 2003, 01:04 AM
"Wolfgang" wrote...
<snip>
> Wolfgang
> who happens to be enjoying a nice glass of yellow tail shiraz while
> preparing a supper of baked salmon and ripe tomatoes on a bed of arugula,
> radicchio and avocado......with a bit of couscous to help soak up the tomato
> juice and lime vinaigrette.

It is amazing how you can cook with one hand, drink wine with another, while
posting to roff with the third.
--
TL,
Tim

Wayne Harrison
October 20th, 2003, 01:21 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote

> Wolfgang
> who happens to be enjoying a nice glass of yellow tail shiraz while
> preparing a supper of baked salmon and ripe tomatoes on a bed of arugula,
> radicchio and avocado......with a bit of couscous to help soak up the
tomato
> juice and lime vinaigrette.

you heartless, cruel, yankee *******. i just finished my half of a
domino's thin crust, with a cheap shot red zin.

yfitons
wayno (is it because of lana...?)

Wolfgang
October 20th, 2003, 04:08 AM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> "Wolfgang" wrote...
> <snip>
> > Wolfgang
> > who happens to be enjoying a nice glass of yellow tail shiraz while
> > preparing a supper of baked salmon and ripe tomatoes on a bed of
arugula,
> > radicchio and avocado......with a bit of couscous to help soak up the
tomato
> > juice and lime vinaigrette.
>
> It is amazing how you can cook with one hand, drink wine with another,
while
> posting to roff with the third.

Perhaps the wisest investment I ever made was purchasing a copy of "Juggling
for the Complete Klutz".

Wolfgang
um......or cigarettes........I dunno.

Wolfgang
October 20th, 2003, 04:27 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
m...

> "Wolfgang" > wrote
>
> > Wolfgang
> > who happens to be enjoying a nice glass of yellow tail shiraz while
> > preparing a supper of baked salmon and ripe tomatoes on a bed of
arugula,
> > radicchio and avocado......with a bit of couscous to help soak up the
> tomato
> > juice and lime vinaigrette.
>
> you heartless, cruel, yankee *******. i just finished my half of a
> domino's thin crust, with a cheap shot red zin.
>
> yfitons
> wayno (is it because of lana...?)

Well, there is that Karma thingy.

Meanwhile......

Since the tomatoes (with shredded basil, slivered garlic and drizzled with
EVOO) had to roast for 25 minutes before the salmon was added, I got bored
and decided to do some spuds as well. Klondike Rose potatoes boiled in the
peel with yellow onions, and drenched with fresh rosemary, thyme and garlic
in drawn butter (with a liberal dash of turmeric for color) turned out to be
a nice accompaniment. We spent most of the day on an outing to a local
pumpkin farm cum amusement park with Becky's nephews and nieces, so there
wasn't time to do justice to a dessert.......we went without. But hey,
that's what weekends are for.......roughing it. :)

Wolfgang
who, since the weather geeks promise rather summery weather for tomorrow is
thinking about going light......say, maybe charred green onion bruschetta
and a miso soup.

Jeff Miller
October 20th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> Wolfgang
> who happens to be enjoying a nice glass of yellow tail shiraz while
> preparing a supper of baked salmon and ripe tomatoes on a bed of arugula,
> radicchio and avocado......with a bit of couscous to help soak up the tomato
> juice and lime vinaigrette.

just as i suspected...you are able to cook without including those awful
'orrid olives.

jeff (who cooked up a bag of microwave popcorn for supper last night)

Jeff Miller
October 20th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Tim J. wrote:

> "Wolfgang" wrote...
> <snip>
>
>>Wolfgang
>>who happens to be enjoying a nice glass of yellow tail shiraz while
>>preparing a supper of baked salmon and ripe tomatoes on a bed of arugula,
>>radicchio and avocado......with a bit of couscous to help soak up the tomato
>>juice and lime vinaigrette.
>

> It is amazing how you can cook with one hand, drink wine with another, while
> posting to roff with the third.

uh... i don't wanna know about this.

jeff (who's pretty certain wolfie didn't use his "third hand" cookin any
of the meals in graham county)

Wolfgang
October 21st, 2003, 02:31 AM

> just as i suspected...you are able to cook without including those awful
> 'orrid olives.

Mmmmm......well, ocassionally.

> jeff (who cooked up a bag of microwave popcorn for supper last night)

Did the bruschetta tonight. Toasted fresh French bread......brushed lightly
with butter and garlic.....slathered on a liberal layer of
ricotta....covered thickly with a mix of fresh ripe tomato, spring onions,
garlic, calamata olives and cilantro, seasoned with freshly ground black
pepper....finished with coarsely grated pecorino Romano....broiled till the
cheese turns a light golden color. Red globe radishes and black oil cured
olives (the ones that even most olive lovers turns their noses up at) on the
side. Didn't do the miso. Had left over cheesy spuds with spicy Hungarian
sausage instead.

Wolfgang
who can get the oil cured olives for under $3 per pound......send mailing
address! :)
p.s. for a refreshing change, try blanching the radishes in boiling water
for a minute or two......makes a lovely addition to virtually any potato
dish.

Ken Fortenberry
October 21st, 2003, 02:36 AM
Wolfgang wrote:

> Did the bruschetta tonight. Toasted fresh French bread......brushed lightly
> with butter and garlic.....slathered on a liberal layer of
> ricotta....covered thickly with a mix of fresh ripe tomato, spring onions,
> garlic, calamata olives and cilantro, ...

Cilantro on bruschetta ? Blech. Some things are just flat ass wrong.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
October 21st, 2003, 02:53 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
.com...

> .....Some things are just flat ass wrong.

Pretension and lack of imagination come readily to mind.

Wolfgang

Bob Patton
October 21st, 2003, 03:10 AM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

//snipped while drooling//
> p.s. for a refreshing change, try blanching the radishes in boiling water
> for a minute or two......makes a lovely addition to virtually any potato
> dish.

Fer chrissakes. Will you shut the **** up?! Goddam it all to fukkin hell.
I'm sitting here with a bowl of potato chips and a glass of Mr. Beam, and
you're talking cuisine. Wanna trade for a power bar? I think I have some
dehydrated chili mac and some prunes downstairs. Starting to look awful
good.
Bob

Ken Fortenberry
October 21st, 2003, 03:14 AM
Wolfgang wrote:

> Pretension and lack of imagination come readily to mind.

Hell, there's no crime in cleaning out the 'fridge and throwing it
all on a piece of toast, just don't pretend it's bruschetta.

Bruschetta is diced tomato & minced garlic drizzled with extra virgin
olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette slathered on a good slice of bread
and topped with parmesano reggiano and chopped basil.

Accept no substitutes, or at least use your imagination and call it
Milwaukee Toast with Olives. It would be pretentious to do otherwise.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Willi
October 21st, 2003, 03:17 AM
Wolfgang wrote:

> Did the bruschetta tonight. Toasted fresh French bread......brushed lightly
> with butter and garlic.....slathered on a liberal layer of
> ricotta....covered thickly with a mix of fresh ripe tomato, spring onions,
> garlic, calamata olives and cilantro, seasoned with freshly ground black
> pepper....finished with coarsely grated pecorino Romano....broiled till the
> cheese turns a light golden color. Red globe radishes and black oil cured
> olives (the ones that even most olive lovers turns their noses up at) on the
> side. Didn't do the miso. Had left over cheesy spuds with spicy Hungarian
> sausage instead.

Your recipes make my mouth water but where in the hell do you get "fresh
ripe tomato"

Around me it's more like cardboard tomatoes unless you raise them yourself.

Willi

Wolfgang
October 21st, 2003, 03:44 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
.com...
> Wolfgang wrote:
> >
> > Pretension and lack of imagination come readily to mind.
>
> Hell, there's no crime in cleaning out the 'fridge and throwing it
> all on a piece of toast, just don't pretend it's bruschetta.
>
> Bruschetta is diced tomato & minced garlic drizzled with extra virgin
> olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette slathered on a good slice of bread
> and topped with parmesano reggiano and chopped basil.
>
> Accept no substitutes, or at least use your imagination and call it
> Milwaukee Toast with Olives. It would be pretentious to do otherwise.

Found a recipe for bruschetta o fett'unta con pomodoro e basilico, did we?

Should you ever develop an interest in cooking, I can point you toward a
number of references that I can guarantee will outshine your Funk &
Wagnalls. :)

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
October 21st, 2003, 03:46 AM
"Bob Patton" <rwpmailatcharterdotnet> wrote in message

> ....Wanna trade for a power bar?...

Save 'em for Jeffie. Next death march I'm bringing pasties in olive sauce.
:)

Wolfgang

Wolfgang
October 21st, 2003, 03:57 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message

> Your recipes make my mouth water but where in the hell do you get "fresh
> ripe tomato"

See below.

> Around me it's more like cardboard tomatoes unless you raise them
yourself.

Ding, ding, ding! We moved into the new house in June.....late for planting
a garden even up here on the tundra. But, Becky found a few tomato plants
that had lingered on the nursery shelves. She planted them (they were
already two feet tall) in mid June while I was away at the traveling clave.
Despite five or six nights of frost.....the earliest was about three weeks
ago.....quite a few of the tomatoes still survive. There are still a dozen
or so green ones left on the plants and one will ripen every few days. I
figure we got one good meal left out there. Used up almost all of the fresh
basil too. Still lots of rosemary, thyme, stevia, sage, and a few other
herbs. Leeks are looking pretty good. Everything else is gone. :(

In the last year or two, so-called "vine ripe" tomatoes (an illusion
bolstered by the fact that bits of the stems remain attached) have been
showing up in the supermarkets here. Of course, they're nothing like a real
tomato, but they are better than the standard trash we've had to settle for
in the past. Worthless for slicing, but you CAN cook with them......in an
emergency....though, for most applications, canned are still better.

Wolfgang

October 21st, 2003, 05:32 AM
On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:46:01 -0500, "Wolfgang" >
wrote:

>"Bob Patton" <rwpmailatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
>
>> ....Wanna trade for a power bar?...
>
>Save 'em for Jeffie. Next death march I'm bringing pasties in olive sauce.
>:)
>
>Wolfgang

Ran into a pastie salesman doing a demo in my local butcher shop. Too
small a place to avoid him, so I did MN nice and took a sample.
Stuff was _good_. I bought 4 of them, gave one to my husband for
dinner and told him I'd eat what was left. I had to make myself
something else later. He'd scarfed down 15 ounces of pastie as if a
dog were vying for the plate. The cat licked up the small crumbs that
remained.

Now I don't say Jeff would like it, traumatized as he has been, but it
was refreshing to find out that the things can be palatable as well as
filling.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Francis Reid
October 21st, 2003, 12:23 PM
> In the last year or two, so-called "vine ripe" tomatoes (an illusion
> bolstered by the fact that bits of the stems remain attached) have been
> showing up in the supermarkets here. Of course, they're nothing like a real
> tomato, but they are better than the standard trash we've had to settle for
> in the past. Worthless for slicing, but you CAN cook with them......in an
> emergency....though, for most applications, canned are still better.
>
> Wolfgang

We're lucky here in that the local truck farmers have decided to go
vertical and are selling their best produce at the local stand. Gonna
do a pork shoulder stew tonight with these awesome yellow tomatoes,
fresh serrano peppers, cilantro, and bog-grown yellow potatoes. The
potatoes are close to the quality found in the fens in the UK. Not
quite, but close.
Frank Reid

Jeff Miller
October 21st, 2003, 01:21 PM
you do know i'm gonna get even with you for this, don't you?

jeff (opened a bag of peanuts for last night's supper)

Wolfgang wrote:

> "Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
>
>>just as i suspected...you are able to cook without including those awful
>>'orrid olives.
>

> Mmmmm......well, ocassionally.
>

>>jeff (who cooked up a bag of microwave popcorn for supper last night)
>

> Did the bruschetta tonight. Toasted fresh French bread......brushed lightly
> with butter and garlic.....slathered on a liberal layer of
> ricotta....covered thickly with a mix of fresh ripe tomato, spring onions,
> garlic, calamata olives and cilantro, seasoned with freshly ground black
> pepper....finished with coarsely grated pecorino Romano....broiled till the
> cheese turns a light golden color. Red globe radishes and black oil cured
> olives (the ones that even most olive lovers turns their noses up at) on the
> side. Didn't do the miso. Had left over cheesy spuds with spicy Hungarian
> sausage instead.
>
> Wolfgang
> who can get the oil cured olives for under $3 per pound......send mailing
> address! :)
> p.s. for a refreshing change, try blanching the radishes in boiling water
> for a minute or two......makes a lovely addition to virtually any potato
> dish.

Jeff Miller
October 21st, 2003, 01:23 PM
jeezus...revenge is justified if only for this post alone...

jeff

Wolfgang wrote:

> "Bob Patton" <rwpmailatcharterdotnet> wrote in message
>

>>....Wanna trade for a power bar?...
>

> Save 'em for Jeffie. Next death march I'm bringing pasties in olive sauce.
> :)
>
> Wolfgang

Jeff Miller
October 21st, 2003, 01:27 PM
i suspected that becky had something to do with the victuals. glad to
hear the garden worked out...i still remember the giggling joy becky had
about her garden; nice memory. i hope it soon obscures the pastie horror.

jeff

Wolfgang wrote:

> "Willi" > wrote in message
>
>>Your recipes make my mouth water but where in the hell do you get "fresh
>>ripe tomato"
>

> See below.
>

>>Around me it's more like cardboard tomatoes unless you raise them
>
> yourself.
>
> Ding, ding, ding! We moved into the new house in June.....late for planting
> a garden even up here on the tundra. But, Becky found a few tomato plants
> that had lingered on the nursery shelves. She planted them (they were
> already two feet tall) in mid June while I was away at the traveling clave.
> Despite five or six nights of frost.....the earliest was about three weeks
> ago.....quite a few of the tomatoes still survive. There are still a dozen
> or so green ones left on the plants and one will ripen every few days. I
> figure we got one good meal left out there. Used up almost all of the fresh
> basil too. Still lots of rosemary, thyme, stevia, sage, and a few other
> herbs. Leeks are looking pretty good. Everything else is gone. :(
>
> In the last year or two, so-called "vine ripe" tomatoes (an illusion
> bolstered by the fact that bits of the stems remain attached) have been
> showing up in the supermarkets here. Of course, they're nothing like a real
> tomato, but they are better than the standard trash we've had to settle for
> in the past. Worthless for slicing, but you CAN cook with them......in an
> emergency....though, for most applications, canned are still better.
>
> Wolfgang

tony
October 21st, 2003, 03:17 PM
strange isnt it you talk to any old italian and they will tell you brushetta
was peasant food cos there was nothin else to eat, my mum refuses to eat it
cos it brings back bad memories of food shortages

> Tim J. wrote:
>
> > "Wolfgang" wrote...
> > <snip>
> >
> >>Wolfgang
> >>who happens to be enjoying a nice glass of yellow tail shiraz while
> >>preparing a supper of baked salmon and ripe tomatoes on a bed of
arugula,
> >>radicchio and avocado......with a bit of couscous to help soak up the
tomato
> >>juice and lime vinaigrette.
> >

> > It is amazing how you can cook with one hand, drink wine with another,
while
> > posting to roff with the third.
>
> uh... i don't wanna know about this.
>
> jeff (who's pretty certain wolfie didn't use his "third hand" cookin any
> of the meals in graham county)

slenon
October 21st, 2003, 04:17 PM
Tonight's menu is country style pork ribs, marinated in jerk sauce and
grilled. To accompany, also grilled Japanese eggplant drizzled in EVO and
seasoned. Whether or not it can historically be called bruschetta is of no
real concern. The base bread is a potatoe-rosemary loaf sliced thick and
grilled sufficiently to brown the outside then rubbed with garlic cloves,
drizzled witn EVO and topped with dice purple onions, diced grape tomatoes,
basil, and goat cheese.

Beverage of choice: Genesis Ale.

And no, I won't trade for a powerbar or canned peanuts.
--

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

Wolfgang
October 21st, 2003, 04:19 PM
"tony" > wrote in message
.. .
> strange isnt it you talk to any old italian and they will tell you
brushetta
> was peasant food cos there was nothin else to eat, my mum refuses to
eat it
> cos it brings back bad memories of food shortages

I once had a neighbor who grew up during the great depression. She
told me one day (while I was baking bread) that when she was a child
she and her siblings what much distraught and embarrassed over the
fact that they always had to eat home made bread because they couldn't
afford store bought. :)

Wolfgang
perception may not be everything.......but you sure as hell can't get
away from it.

Wolfgang
October 21st, 2003, 04:36 PM
> i suspected that becky had something to do with the victuals. glad
> hear the garden worked out...i still remember the giggling joy becky
had
> about her garden; nice memory.

The garden was a source of deep satisfaction throughout the summer;
not only due to the fresh veggies, but also because of the process of
raising them.......good therapy. The only real problem was that it
wasn't enough......more tomatoes next year!

> i hope it soon obscures the pastie horror.

Operant conditioning is the answer to your problem.

Wolfgang
who will be happy to supply the prescribed medicaments. :)

Wolfgang
October 21st, 2003, 04:59 PM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message

> They *are* "vine-ripened

Well, sort of. The problem is timing. A fully ripened tomato has a
short shelf life. A commercially grown product can not be allowed to
ripen fully if it is to be gotten through various production,
transportation, stocking and sales steps in time for the consumer to
use it before it is well past its peak. Unfortunately, this means
that the tomato will NEVER ripen fully as certain flavor and texture
characteristics develop completely only when and if it remains on the
plant. SOME aspects of the ripening process, deepening color for
instance, can continue to proceed after picking, but not all. The
result is invariably an inferior product. I don't remember offhand
which flavor components are compromised by picking early but I can
look it up if anyone is really interested.

> but they're hydroponic.

So far, hydroponically grown veggies have failed to live up to the
enthusiasm with which they were peddled (and greeted) a couple of
decades ago. They aren't bad, overall, but they've certainly got a
ways to go.

> I could swear the stems are painted.

A good deal of research and breeding effort has gone into developing
varieties and procedures that result in good looking tomatoes that
stand up to processing with minimal damage and maximum eye-appeal.
Not so coincidentally, a lot of time and money has also been spent on
the development of store lighting that enhances visual appeal. Next
time you buy tomatoes (or any other vegetable for that matter) look
closely at the color in the store and then compare to how they look in
your kitchen. Sadly, either the growers and sellers of produce
haven't put nearly as much effort into developing tomatoes that TASTE
good, or they have run into problems that have thus far proved
intractable.

Wolfgang

Tim J.
October 21st, 2003, 05:27 PM
"Wolfgang" > wrote in message

> "Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
>
> > They *are* "vine-ripened
>
> Well, sort of. The problem is timing. A fully ripened tomato has a
> short shelf life. A commercially grown product can not be allowed to
> ripen fully if it is to be gotten through various production,
> transportation, stocking and sales steps in time for the consumer to
> use it before it is well past its peak. Unfortunately, this means
> that the tomato will NEVER ripen fully as certain flavor and texture
> characteristics develop completely only when and if it remains on the
> plant. SOME aspects of the ripening process, deepening color for
> instance, can continue to proceed after picking, but not all. The
> result is invariably an inferior product. I don't remember offhand
> which flavor components are compromised by picking early but I can
> look it up if anyone is really interested.
>
> > but they're hydroponic.
>
> So far, hydroponically grown veggies have failed to live up to the
> enthusiasm with which they were peddled (and greeted) a couple of
> decades ago. They aren't bad, overall, but they've certainly got a
> ways to go.
>
> > I could swear the stems are painted.
>
> A good deal of research and breeding effort has gone into developing
> varieties and procedures that result in good looking tomatoes that
> stand up to processing with minimal damage and maximum eye-appeal.
> Not so coincidentally, a lot of time and money has also been spent on
> the development of store lighting that enhances visual appeal. Next
> time you buy tomatoes (or any other vegetable for that matter) look
> closely at the color in the store and then compare to how they look in
> your kitchen. Sadly, either the growers and sellers of produce
> haven't put nearly as much effort into developing tomatoes that TASTE
> good, or they have run into problems that have thus far proved
> intractable.

Okay, enough is enough and I can'ts stands no more. I just *love* home grown
tomatoes, but SWMBO no longer lets me grow them. It turns out skunks will travel
great distances for a good tomato, and we have a LOT of skunks in our area.
Fences, wire guards, and walls be damned, the skunks get in. After the dog
tangled up with one last year and got her snout and sinuses filled with the
lovely stink-juice, giving us and any poor house guests the pleasure of
skunk-revisited with each doggy sneeze for many months after the battle, my
tomato farming days were halted.

Store bought tomatoes of any sort suck when compared to the garden variety. Does
anyone out there have suggestions about how to keep the skunks away? I'm
drooling here!
--
TL,
Tim

JR
October 21st, 2003, 05:28 PM
Wolfgang wrote:

> ...... Sadly, either the growers and sellers of produce
> haven't put nearly as much effort into developing tomatoes that TASTE
> good, or they have run into problems that have thus far proved
> intractable.

The sacrifice of taste for traits conducive to mechanical harvest and
transcontinental shipping was a conscious decision on the part of tomato
breeders. They judged, correctly, that there is a large market for
blemish-free, symmetrical fruit that's available year round, and little
market for taste if comes at the expensive of any of these other
characters.

JR

Ken Fortenberry
October 21st, 2003, 05:32 PM
Tim J. wrote:

> ... Does
> anyone out there have suggestions about how to keep the skunks away? ...

Owls. About the only thing on earth that will eat a skunk is an owl
and the skunks are keenly aware of this.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J.
October 21st, 2003, 06:49 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
> Tim J. wrote:
> >
> > ... Does
> > anyone out there have suggestions about how to keep the skunks away? ...
>
> Owls. About the only thing on earth that will eat a skunk is an owl
> and the skunks are keenly aware of this.

So do I just run down to Owls-R-Us and pick up a few?
--
TL,
Tim

Charlie Choc
October 21st, 2003, 06:53 PM
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 13:49:54 -0400, "Tim J."
> wrote:

>"Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
>> Tim J. wrote:
>> >
>> > ... Does
>> > anyone out there have suggestions about how to keep the skunks away? ...
>>
>> Owls. About the only thing on earth that will eat a skunk is an owl
>> and the skunks are keenly aware of this.
>
>So do I just run down to Owls-R-Us and pick up a few?

Just get a bunch of gophers and the owls should show up eventually.
--
Charlie...

Ken Fortenberry
October 21st, 2003, 07:39 PM
Tim J. wrote:

> "Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
>
>>Tim J. wrote:
>>
>>>... Does
>>>anyone out there have suggestions about how to keep the skunks away? ...
>>
>>Owls. About the only thing on earth that will eat a skunk is an owl
>>and the skunks are keenly aware of this.
>

> So do I just run down to Owls-R-Us and pick up a few?

Garden supply shops around here carry plastic owls. We bought one,
stuck an eight foot piece of bamboo up his ass and planted him next
to our spinach and lettuce. Worked great for keeping the rabbits out,
although you have to move him around every so often so the rabbits
don't catch on that he's plastic.

Don't know about the skunk prevention qualities of a plastic owl, but
a real one would sure do the trick. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
October 21st, 2003, 07:44 PM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:59:00 -0500, "Wolfgang" >
> wrote:
>
> >Not so coincidentally, a lot of time and money has also been spent
on
> >the development of store lighting that enhances visual appeal. ...
>
> Oh yeah. Bananas go through major transfomations
> `twixt the display and the checkout counter :-)

Yep, however, bananas at least benefit from the fact that they WILL
ripen after picking. What's more, they exude ethylene gas which acts
as a ripening agent for many other fruits. Got some plums, pears,
peaches, etc. that aren't quite there? Stick 'em in a brown paper bag
for a day or two with a banana. Hm.....never tried it with a
tomato.....

Wolfgang
conversely, if you've got something you'd like to keep around for a
few days, get it as far away from the bananas.....or any other ripe
fruit.....as possible.

slenon
October 21st, 2003, 07:46 PM
Skunks are nocturnal. See about finding some recordings of owls calling and
flying. Play those randomly as well as displaying plastic owls. You might
even get lucky and lure a few of the real ones into nesting and feeding
nearby.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/index.html/slhomepage92kword.htm

George Cleveland
October 21st, 2003, 08:09 PM
wrote:

>"Ken Fortenberry" wrote...
>> Tim J. wrote:
>> >
>> > ... Does
>> > anyone out there have suggestions about how to keep the skunks away? ...
>>
>> Owls. About the only thing on earth that will eat a skunk is an owl
>> and the skunks are keenly aware of this.
>
>So do I just run down to Owls-R-Us and pick up a few?
>--
>TL,
>Tim
>------------------------
>http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Or you could enroll at Hogwarts and be assigned your own personal owl.

g.c.

In know there's falconry, is there anything like owlry?

rw
October 21st, 2003, 08:37 PM
Tim J. wrote:

> Store bought tomatoes of any sort suck when compared to the garden variety. Does
> anyone out there have suggestions about how to keep the skunks away? I'm
> drooling here!

Inject some chicken eggs with the hottest hot pepper you can find and
leave them around for the skunks. If your dog eats eggs that will cure
him, too. :-)

rb608
October 21st, 2003, 09:54 PM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:27:26 -0400, "Tim J."
> >After the dog
> >tangled up with one last year and got her snout and sinuses filled with
the
> >lovely stink-juice, giving us and any poor house guests the pleasure of
> >skunk-revisited with each doggy sneeze for many months after the battle,
>
> One of ours killed one about two months ago
> and when his fur gets damp you can still smell it.
> Yechhh.

And as these discussions sometimes go full circle, it's worth mentioning
that one of the supposed effective treatments for de-skunking a dog
is...tomato juice. So, you plant your garden, you grow tomatoes. Skunks
come, dog gets skunked, pick tomatoes, clean dog. Ain't nature cool? <g>

Joe F.

Guyz-N-Flyz
October 21st, 2003, 10:32 PM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:31:42 -0500, "Wolfgang" >
> wrote:
>
> >Did the bruschetta tonight. Toasted fresh French bread......brushed
lightly
> >with butter and garlic.....slathered on a liberal layer of
> >ricotta...
>

> Why this guy doesn't weigh at least 300 lbs is beyond
> me (my stomach, anyway).

He does, but he wears the right clothes to hide it.

Op --I used to be good at that, but I got too fat one day--

October 22nd, 2003, 03:28 AM
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:27:26 -0400, "Tim J."
> wrote:

>Store bought tomatoes of any sort suck when compared to the garden variety. Does
>anyone out there have suggestions about how to keep the skunks away? I'm
>drooling here!

You don't have friends, relatives, co-workers (if older the at the
senior center), and neighbors who have too many tomatoes in season and
want to share? Up here, until I went to work at an ISP, I was
continuously turning down offers of what everyone had over planted.
Zucchini, cucumbers, and tomatoes being the major things. And my
mother came over regularly and picked my rhubarb, '...so it won't go
to seed.' (otherwise it'd have been uprooted about 2 months after I
got that house.)
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.
Only a fool would refuse to believe in luck. Only a damn fool would rely on it.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

Tim J.
October 22nd, 2003, 11:35 AM
> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:27:26 -0400, "Tim J."
> > wrote:
>
> >Store bought tomatoes of any sort suck when compared to the garden variety.
Does
> >anyone out there have suggestions about how to keep the skunks away? I'm
> >drooling here!
>
> You don't have friends, relatives, co-workers (if older the at the
> senior center), and neighbors who have too many tomatoes in season and
> want to share?

Friends? Oh, yeah - I had those once. . . :)

My only tomato growing friend moved to Houston a few years ago. He's the one who
turned me on to certain varieties of tomatoes with the best flavor. I get lots
of squash, lettuce, and other home grown veggies from folk, but no tomatoes.
--
TL,
Tim

October 24th, 2003, 04:12 AM
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:17:10 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:28:19 -0500, wrote:
>
>>Up here, until I went to work at an ISP, I was
>>continuously turning down offers of what everyone had over planted.
>

> Do people out there really hate ISPs ?

Most of them love our ISP. We're good. For hosting we're 225 or so
in the US and 400 something (60th, I think) in the world. People set
their older relatives up with us because they know our support is good
enough and patient enough to keep their dialups working right. And
they won't have to go over and do it...

ISP techies tend to not be gardeners for some reason. Or else they
horde it all or eat it all. We only have 6 non-techies in the
company. Aside from me. I'm converting from semi-geek to regular
person since I started with the company. Okay, somewhat eccentric
regular person.

And we moved to a townhouse. No gardens. My mother and aunts who
overdid on tomatoes and cukes all died off (really old age does that
to people) and my kids don't do anything but flowers. Since I don't
eat tomatoes, use approximately 2 cucumbers a year, and rabidly refuse
to touch a zucchini anywhere from the seed to disposal, I buy at the
grocery store or the make believe farmers market that they have on
Nicollet Mall in the warm months (April through October this year. In
MN we regard 50F for a high as warm in April and October.).