PDA

View Full Version : Midge Swap...trying to reach Matt

Bill Mason
October 20th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Are you out there Matt? I've been trying to reach you via email, but my
messages were bounced back to me. I'm just curious if the swap is still on,
or have things pretty much fizzled out? FWIW I'm still interested. Anyone
else?

Cheers,
Bill

Willi
October 20th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Bill Mason wrote:

> Are you out there Matt? I've been trying to reach you via email, but my
> messages were bounced back to me. I'm just curious if the swap is still on,
> or have things pretty much fizzled out? FWIW I'm still interested. Anyone
> else?

I'm still interested too.

Had so much fun doing the 900' of fencing that we did another 700'. Now
that I'm done with that, I'm leaving for Chi Town tomorrow for a spell
and had planned on tying up the flies while I'm there. I'd like to know
how many flies to tie.

Willi

Matt M.
October 21st, 2003, 12:03 AM
Hey,
I'm using Mailwasher after reading about it here and I see its working well,
too well. Sorry that I somehow have you on my bounce list. I'll look into
that.
Yeah, its on, we have 8 people. that's 24 flies total. 3 for each tyer.
In the next few days I will send another e-mail to everyone and give them an
address to send the flies. I'm going to see if its alright to have them sent
to work (I'm sure it will be OK but I've only been there 2 months so I wanna
ask first) I don't trust my mailman- he's been putting my mail in another
box on and off for a few months. A few weeks ago I came home to a blackout
because he was putting my bill in the neighbors box. She did me the favor of
filing it in the trash, so they kindly turned my power off.
Sorry to all if your mail is bouncing. Here's my list of current swapsters.
> McCray- cdc midge

> Jonathan Cook- TBD

> Willie Loehman- TBD

> Paul Williamson- Raccoon Midge

> Bill Mason- #24 Yong Specials

> Tim Carter- Griffiths Gnats

> Svend Tang-Peterson- the Smudge

> Bruiser - larva, emerger, adult

"Bill Mason" > wrote in message
et...
| Are you out there Matt? I've been trying to reach you via email, but my
| messages were bounced back to me. I'm just curious if the swap is still
on,
| or have things pretty much fizzled out? FWIW I'm still interested.
Anyone
| else?
|
| Cheers,
| Bill

Willi
October 21st, 2003, 03:17 AM
bruiser wrote:

> I'm actually tying a single pattern - it's a dry fly that I call the
> "Midge". It'll be a size 20 but it looks smaller :-)

Never saw you fish a midge dry.

Willi

bruiser
October 21st, 2003, 04:04 AM
I'm actually tying a single pattern - it's a dry fly that I call the
"Midge". It'll be a size 20 but it looks smaller :-)

bruce h

bruiser
October 22nd, 2003, 04:39 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message

> Never saw you fish a midge dry.

You've never followed *me* around any river :-)

As far as the Juan goes, whenever I encounter fish eating adult midges,
especially in slow clear water, this is my favorite pattern. It looks more
like a mayfly but for some reason the fish will often take it for a single
adult midge. In the Winter I'm just too lazy to walk or wade around looking
for risers.... I like the spots where you can fish dries from the bank and
get a good angle to see the fish.

bruce h

Jonathan Cook
October 23rd, 2003, 04:05 PM
"bruiser" > wrote in message >...

> As far as the Juan goes, whenever I encounter fish eating adult midges,
> especially in slow clear water, this is my favorite pattern. It looks more
> like a mayfly but for some reason the fish will often take it for a single
> adult midge.

A couple of San Juan questions, if you don't mind...

I was taking a break and looking around on the water, and of course
there were thousands of midge shucks floating by, and tons of tiny
black midges in the air, on us, etc. But I finally spotted a curious
"midge cluster" that was made up of 3 or 4 of the black midges (#26?)
surrounding a larger single midge with a dull chartreuse body, about
#20 or #22. Is that normal? Are all the tiny black ones males, and
the other a female? Do the fish key in on the female? Is anyone trying
to imitate it? I didn't really try fishing anything like it, but it
did catch my eye.

Then on the day we were at the Kiddie Hole (which is like watching
fish in an aquarium, I was standing there watching fish feed and
distinctly saw, multiple times, fish take in large floating black
chunks of (algae?, fungus?). These pieces are different from moss or
other floating detritus, and I didn't see the fish spit them back
out. By large I mean something that would fit on a #12 or #10,
possibly mimiced by a black bunny leech dead drifted. This was in
really slow water. Any ideas?

Jon.

bruiser
October 24th, 2003, 02:13 AM
"Jonathan Cook" > wrote

> I finally spotted a curious "midge cluster" that was made > up of 3 or 4
of the black midges (#26?)
> surrounding a larger single midge with a dull chartreuse > body, about #20
or #22. Is that normal? Are all the tiny > black ones males, and the other a
female?

I think it was two different midges. The bigger one is a distinct type
that's pretty common and the tiny black ones are pretty much always there -
there the one's you see when the hatches are heavy. When the big ones are
around the brown Johnny Flash, size 22, can be amazing.

> Then on the day we were at the Kiddie Hole (which is > like watching fish
in an aquarium, I was standing there
> watching fish feed and distinctly saw, multiple times, fish > take in
large floating black chunks of (algae?, fungus?).

I've heard of that but never seen it and a brown or dark olive wooly bugger
is what they say to use.

bruce h

pw
October 26th, 2003, 02:42 AM
>Are you out there Matt? I've been trying to reach you via email, but my
>messages were bounced back to me. I'm just curious if the swap is still on,
>or have things pretty much fizzled out? FWIW I'm still interested. Anyone
>else?
>
>Cheers,
>Bill

Same here. This swap is not nearly professionally run as Tim's was,
so count me out. I haven't heard squat in weeks.

-pw

-pw
livingston/emigrant,montana
please use "pw at williamsonenterprises dot com" for e-mail
thanks

Bill Mason
October 26th, 2003, 05:41 AM
"pw" > wrote in message

> This swap is not nearly professionally run as Tim's was,
> so count me out. I haven't heard squat in weeks.

Yeah, I've also found it frustrating. If any of the seven original tiers
want to send me a mailing address, I'll happily have the USPS deliver my
contribution directly to their doors (no reciprocation is expected). If
not, my midge box just gained 35 new residents. I'll warn everybody that
it's not the prettiest batch of bugs they've ever seen, but I *have* been
catching fish on them.

Cheers,
Bill

Tim Carter
October 26th, 2003, 02:50 PM
I haven't tried to e-mail Matt directly, nor have I seen any mail from him
(though I'm always deleting good mail and reading about how my penis could
get 3 inches bigger), but it's only been a few days since his last post.

Matt -- anyway you can clarify the confusion in the ranks here? Where
should we send the flies? What's your e-mail?

My address is tcarter29 at hotmail dot com (OT-- I've usually followed local
customs here and altered my e-mail address, but can't figure out why I
bother. My understanding was that this eliminates web crawlers from adding
my e-mail address to their spam lists. How would I know I've had yet
another one added???)

"Bill Mason" > wrote in message
et...

> "pw" > wrote in message
>
> > This swap is not nearly professionally run as Tim's was,
> > so count me out. I haven't heard squat in weeks.
> >

> Yeah, I've also found it frustrating. If any of the seven original tiers
> want to send me a mailing address, I'll happily have the USPS deliver my
> contribution directly to their doors (no reciprocation is expected). If
> not, my midge box just gained 35 new residents. I'll warn everybody that
> it's not the prettiest batch of bugs they've ever seen, but I *have* been
> catching fish on them.
>
> Cheers,
> Bill

Matt M.
October 26th, 2003, 04:15 PM
I apologize for the e-mail problem, I was getting so much spam that I ran
Mail Washer. The damn thing made it so easy to blacklist and bounce that I
added a few legitimate addressed to the blacklist. Although I haven't made a
daily post about the status of the swap and sent out a barrage of e-mails, I
assumed from the 2 or three posts I made and the emails I sent that everyone
was up to speed. To be honest, I just wanted to have a midge swap for fall
fishing. I wasn't planning on making a huge affair out of it. So to clarify
for those who still want to participate, we're all tying 24 flies (assuming
everyone doesn't bail out at this point) and mailing them to
Matt McCray
100 Forest Manor Rd
Clarks Summit, PA 18411

We set the deadline for OCT 31.
McCray

News==----
| http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
Newsgroups
| ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption
=---

Tim J.
October 27th, 2003, 03:03 PM
"Greg Pavlov" wrote...
> pw wrote:
> >
> >Same here. This swap is not nearly professionally run as Tim's was,
> >so count me out. I haven't heard squat in weeks.
>
> He's in a drug clinic for a month or two to
> dry out. For the third time, I hear. But he'll
> be back soon, don't worry, as professionally
> unprofessional (and un-American) as ever....

No, the fourth time. . . or were you talking about Matt? And I'm as American as
apple strudel. BTW, if the DDFS was professionally run, I didn't get paid near
enough. What is the going salary for an all-pro swapmeister?

Don't let 'em get to you, Matt - they're just a bunch of roffians, after all.
:) When all is said and done be sure and get some photos to Stan for the swap
site. I'm interested in seeing these babies.
--
TL,
Tim

Ken Fortenberry
October 27th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Tim J. wrote:
> "Greg Pavlov" wrote...
>>pw wrote:
>>
>>>Same here. This swap is not nearly professionally run as Tim's was,
>>>so count me out. I haven't heard squat in weeks.
>>
>> He's in a drug clinic for a month or two to
>> dry out. For the third time, I hear. But he'll
>> be back soon, don't worry, as professionally
>> unprofessional (and un-American) as ever....
>
> No, the fourth time. . . or were you talking about Matt? And I'm as American as
> apple strudel. BTW, if the DDFS was professionally run, I didn't get paid near
> enough. What is the going salary for an all-pro swapmeister?
>
> Don't let 'em get to you, Matt - they're just a bunch of roffians, after all.
> :) When all is said and done be sure and get some photos to Stan for the swap
> site. I'm interested in seeing these babies.

Please allow me to translate. Greg, knowing that the pinhead pw is also a
dittohead (one of those nitwits who are fans of Rush Limbaugh), seized upon
the phrase "I haven't heard squat in weeks" and interpreted it maliciously
to mean that the pinhead pw hasn't been able to listen to the big fat idiot
lately because the hypocritical gasbag is in drug rehab.

No aspersions were directed at you or Mr. McCray, this was strictly yanking
the chain of the pinhead pw for which a good many of us are grateful to
Mr. Pavlov.

--
Ken Fortenberry- translations R us ;-)

Ken Fortenberry
October 27th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Greg Pavlov wrote:
> Ken Fortenberry wrote:
>
>>Please allow me to translate. Greg, knowing that the pinhead pw is also a
>>dittohead (one of those nitwits who are fans of Rush Limbaugh), seized upon
>>the phrase "I haven't heard squat in weeks" and interpreted it maliciously
>>to mean that the pinhead pw hasn't been able to listen to the big fat idiot
>>lately because the hypocritical gasbag is in drug rehab.
>
> It wasn't a malicious interpretation ...

I meant that only in the best sense of the word. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tim J.
October 27th, 2003, 08:03 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
.com...
> Tim J. wrote:

> >> He's in a drug clinic for a month or two to
> >> dry out. For the third time, I hear. But he'll
> >> be back soon, don't worry, as professionally
> >> unprofessional (and un-American) as ever....
> >
> > No, the fourth time. . . or were you talking about Matt? And I'm as American
as
> > apple strudel. BTW, if the DDFS was professionally run, I didn't get paid
near
> > enough. What is the going salary for an all-pro swapmeister?
> >
> > Don't let 'em get to you, Matt - they're just a bunch of roffians, after
all.
> > :) When all is said and done be sure and get some photos to Stan for the
swap
> > site. I'm interested in seeing these babies.
>
> Please allow me to translate.

Nah. I got it the first time, thanks. However, I've been having some problems
with this one: "Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: To get to the other
side." What's that all about?
--
TL,
Tim

Ken Fortenberry
October 27th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Tim J. wrote:

> ... I've been having some problems
> with this one: "Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: To get to the other
> side." What's that all about?

The deconstruction of existentialism. Geez, what kindergarten did
you flunk out of ? ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wolfgang
October 27th, 2003, 08:32 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> ...I've been having some problems
> with this one: "Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: To get to
the other
> side." What's that all about?

Old joke.....pre-digital. Back in the day, it was a common practice
(I am NOT making this **** up!) to meet with like minded individuals,
for both personal and professional business, on a face to face basis.
The chicken referenced in the above story did not have a cell phone,
modem, fax, telephone, walky-talky, or even (in some older versions)
the benefit of hardcopy snail mail. Presumably, it was on its way to
meet with another chicken (or some member or members of any of a
number other species with which chickens routinely, or sporadically
for that matter, have or had dealings) which, the reader or auditor is
left to assume, either lived or for some other reason was at the time
across the road from where the chicken began its journey. Naturally,
all this assumes that the chicken was in fact on its way TO the
meeting rather than returning there from, in which case the punch line
changes in implication, if not necessarily in form.

Wolfgang
damn......they just don't write 'em like they used to! :)

Matt M.
October 27th, 2003, 11:09 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
.com...
| Tim J. wrote:
| > "Greg Pavlov" wrote...

| No aspersions were directed at you or Mr. McCray, this was strictly
yanking
| the chain of the pinhead pw for which a good many of us are grateful to
| Mr. Pavlov.
|
| --
| Ken Fortenberry- translations R us ;-)

I've heard it said that rehab is for quitters and I ain't quittin'. And to
clarify, my e-mail was all f'd up, not me.
mccray
-who never knew the troubles of hosting a swap

Bill Mason
October 27th, 2003, 11:38 PM
"Matt M." > wrote in message news:VAhnb.57

> -who never knew the troubles of hosting a swap

Don't worry...any baptism by fire is bound to leave a few singed hairs and
you're handling the depilation with aplomb. As for my humble offering, it
should be in your mailbox by the end of the workweek.

Cheers,
Bill

George Cleveland
October 27th, 2003, 11:47 PM
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:32:41 -0600, "Wolfgang" > wrote:

>"Tim J." > wrote in message
>>
>> ...I've been having some problems
>> with this one: "Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: To get to
>the other
>> side." What's that all about?
>
>Old joke.....pre-digital. Back in the day, it was a common practice
>(I am NOT making this **** up!) to meet with like minded individuals,
>for both personal and professional business, on a face to face basis.
>The chicken referenced in the above story did not have a cell phone,
>modem, fax, telephone, walky-talky, or even (in some older versions)
>the benefit of hardcopy snail mail. Presumably, it was on its way to
>meet with another chicken (or some member or members of any of a
>number other species with which chickens routinely, or sporadically
>for that matter, have or had dealings) which, the reader or auditor is
>left to assume, either lived or for some other reason was at the time
>across the road from where the chicken began its journey. Naturally,
>all this assumes that the chicken was in fact on its way TO the
>meeting rather than returning there from, in which case the punch line
>changes in implication, if not necessarily in form.
>
>Wolfgang
>damn......they just don't write 'em like they used to! :)

In this case I believe the joke appeared in cuneiform.

g.c.
"Why did the Fire God wear red suspenders?"
"To have something to attach the headless corpes of his sacrificial offerings
to."

Wolfgang
October 28th, 2003, 12:14 AM
"George Cleveland" > wrote in message
> In this case I believe the joke appeared in cuneiform.

Well, not the original.

> g.c.
> "Why did the Fire God wear red suspenders?"
> "To have something to attach the headless corpes of his sacrificial
offerings
> to."

That one STILL cracks me up every time! :)

Wolfgang

October 28th, 2003, 02:20 AM
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:38:23 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:51:52 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:
>
>>Please allow me to translate. Greg, knowing that the pinhead pw is also a
>>dittohead
>
> Where did "dittohead" come from ?

I've always figured it meant anyone who followed any ideology without
thinking. Left / right / liberal / conservative / political
correctness / whatever...
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

rw
October 29th, 2003, 03:20 AM
wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:38:23 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 15:51:52 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:
>>

>>>Please allow me to translate. Greg, knowing that the pinhead pw is also a
>>>dittohead
>>
>>Where did "dittohead" come from ?
>

> I've always figured it meant anyone who followed any ideology without
> thinking. Left / right / liberal / conservative / political
> correctness / whatever...

Uh, no. Sorry. You're very, very wrong. Try a Google search on "dittohead".

Tim J.
October 29th, 2003, 12:56 PM
"Greg Pavlov" wrote...
> rw wrote:
> >
> >Uh, no. Sorry. You're very, very wrong. Try a Google search on "dittohead".
>
> After doing that I'd say that any definition anyone comes up
> with is as good as any other. But the image that "dittoheads"
> calls up in my mind is a bunch of bobble-headed dolls sitting
> in front of a radio.

Nah - that was during the Clinton radio addresses. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Tim J.
October 29th, 2003, 01:53 PM
"Greg Pavlov" wrote...
> "Tim J." wrote:
>

> >Nah - that was during the Clinton radio addresses. ;-)
> >--
> You mean that Rush's dittoheads were agreeing
> with Clinton, or are you implying they were all
> just nodding out on "pain killers" ? :-)

Could be the latter. Pain killers were a requirement for listening to that
tripe. :)
--
TL,
Tim