PDA

View Full Version : FF season most likely over.....

Roger Ohlund
October 20th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Went to sleep with the lawn still green,
- Woke up with 8 inches of snow, and apart from that -4 degrees Celcius.
Funny thing, further north they got less than one inch snow.

To make things worse Vaughan sends me this email about catching 5 sea trout
on a trip where I had hoped to join him but couldn't.

Worse yet, its getting really dark in the evenings.
Ahh, well I'll have to go hunting from now on if I want some peace of mind.

Shot a hazelhen grouse this weekend, really nice feathers, have to try and
get some more.

Anyway, still have three trip reports half written and a Clave to plan for.
So, some fly fishing related things remain to look forward to.

/Roger
Wishing it was spring again, knowing it's going to take a while.

Vaughan Hurry
October 20th, 2003, 03:23 PM

> To make things worse Vaughan sends me this email about catching 5 sea
trout
> on a trip where I had hoped to join him but couldn't.

Roger,

I did say they were small sea trout. Mind you, fish are just a bonus on a
quiet autumn morning with a light mist rising off the water. Best fishing of
the year for me, so it is a pity about this bloody snow! Maybe it will melt
this year - before May............

I was thinking some more about next years gathering. Miekak or a different
fly-in location with tents would really suit me personally. However after
giving it some thought - I realize can, do and will take such a trip by
myself anyway and, frankly, I enjoy it as much for the complete solitude as
for the fishing. In contrast, the gathering at Delikjokk this summer was as
enjoyable for the company as it was for the fishing. The point being - an
accessible site that is also affordable for others coming from a distance
might be a good option again if it means we get more takers from the south
or abroad. While I agree it is tempting to stuff people in a float plane or
helicopter and show them how beautiful and how good the fishing can be in
that country north of Kiruna - it is also tempting not to......... :-)) (I
guess Miekak isn't north of Kiruna but you know what I mean). Perhaps we
need a consensus on tent vs. cabin first?

cheers

Vaughan

riverman
October 20th, 2003, 05:25 PM
"Vaughan Hurry" > wrote in message

>>Perhaps we
> need a consensus on tent vs. cabin first?

I vote for a helocopter fly-in to the most remote, wilderness, unfished,
pristine location possible, located anywhere between the Lofoten Islands and
Karelia, and anywhere north of Oulu, tents or a rotted out cabin are fine,
as long as its scenic and there's fish.

But then, I'm hard to please.

--riverman
(Besides, being 'accessible' didn't really change the demographics of last
year's trip all that much. We could even do a 2-part clave, since the fly-in
would mean it would not be so easy to explore the region we were camped in.
Maybe a handful of us could fly in for 4 nights, then we could rondezvous
with the more gravitationally challenged for another 3-4 nights.)

Bill Kiene
October 20th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Hi All,

Our fall fishing is just starting here in "sunny California".

I guess we are pretty lucky because if it doesn't flood, we fly fish all
winter for trout, steelhead and stripers in Nor Cal.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"Roger Ohlund" > wrote in message
> Went to sleep with the lawn still green,
> - Woke up with 8 inches of snow, and apart from that -4 degrees Celcius.
> Funny thing, further north they got less than one inch snow.
>
> To make things worse Vaughan sends me this email about catching 5 sea
trout
> on a trip where I had hoped to join him but couldn't.
>
> Worse yet, its getting really dark in the evenings.
> Ahh, well I'll have to go hunting from now on if I want some peace of
mind.

> Shot a hazelhen grouse this weekend, really nice feathers, have to try and
> get some more.
>
> Anyway, still have three trip reports half written and a Clave to plan
for.
> So, some fly fishing related things remain to look forward to.
>
> /Roger
> Wishing it was spring again, knowing it's going to take a while.

Guyz-N-Flyz
October 20th, 2003, 10:32 PM
"Roger Ohlund" > wrote in message

Sad tale snippeded....

Sorry to hear about your Winter Roger, but just know that we can flyfish
year 'round here in N.C., well as long as the streams don't freeze over.

HTH

Op

> /Roger
> Wishing it was spring again, knowing it's going to take a while.

Patients!

Jarmo Hurri
October 21st, 2003, 08:33 AM
Guyz-N-Flyz> Sorry to hear about your Winter Roger, but just know that
Guyz-N-Flyz> we can flyfish year 'round here in N.C., well as long as
Guyz-N-Flyz> the streams don't freeze over.

Logically speaking, so can we here up north! :-)

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Use as email
address or apply rot13 to header email address.

Roger Ohlund
October 21st, 2003, 09:24 AM
"Guyz-N-Flyz" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Roger Ohlund" > wrote in message
>
> Sad tale snippeded....
>
> Sorry to hear about your Winter Roger, but just know that we can flyfish
> year 'round here in N.C., well as long as the streams don't freeze over.

Did you write this to make me feel better??
- It didn't work ;(

/Roger
Can you beleive it!!?, - another 5 inches of snow during the night.

Roger Ohlund
October 21st, 2003, 09:28 AM
"riverman" > wrote in message

> "Vaughan Hurry" > wrote in message
> >
> > Perhaps we
> > need a consensus on tent vs. cabin first?
> >

> I vote for a helocopter fly-in to the most remote, wilderness, unfished,
> pristine location possible, located anywhere between the Lofoten Islands
and
> Karelia, and anywhere north of Oulu, tents or a rotted out cabin are fine,
> as long as its scenic and there's fish.
>
> But then, I'm hard to please.

Well, considering the abundance of possibilities you just opted
for........No! you won't be all that hard to please in this corner of the
world ;-)

> (Besides, being 'accessible' didn't really change the demographics of last
> year's trip all that much. We could even do a 2-part clave, since the
fly-in
> would mean it would not be so easy to explore the region we were camped
in.
> Maybe a handful of us could fly in for 4 nights, then we could rondezvous
> with the more gravitationally challenged for another 3-4 nights.)

An idea is forming............
I need to write something in a post to check out what people might be
interested in.

/ Roger

Jonathan Cook
October 21st, 2003, 04:11 PM
"Roger Ohlund" > wrote in message >...

> Can you beleive it!!?, - another 5 inches of snow during the night.

Well, it's better than NOT getting the snow...

Jon (who lives in a currently drought-stricken area of the world).

Wolfgang
October 21st, 2003, 11:04 PM
"Jonathan Cook" > wrote in message
m...
> "Roger Ohlund" > wrote in message
>
> > Can you beleive it!!?, - another 5 inches of snow during the night.
>
> Well, it's better than NOT getting the snow...
>
> Jon (who lives in a currently drought-stricken area of the world).

currently--adv. For the last eleven thousand years or so.

Wolfgang