PDA

View Full Version : TR: Salmon R, the Dad angle

rb608
October 20th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Three days on the Salmon River is my annual trip with my fishing buddy and
friend, Craig; and this year marked a rite of passage for my son, who joined
me on the trip for the first time. For the months leading up to the trip,
I've been anguishing over how he would enjoy giving up the non-stop action
of video games for two days of patiently standing in cold water. Up until
now, he hasn't shown any interest at all in the sport. "Hey, I'm goin'
fishing, wanna go along?" was always met with, "Nah." The 4 wt. I'd built
for him years ago had gone largely untouched.

So I'm not pushing him into it. If he wants to go, great; if not, well, I
guess that's okay too. All of the whys, hows, and what ifs kept running
through my head as I contemplated his apparent desire to go along this time.
Why does he even want to go? How will he handle the conditions, the
exertion, the slow periods? What if he gets bored after an hour? I
realize now that I had most of the answers all along.

Because this was his first "guy trip", I resolved to treat him just like one
of the guys. Not as my son, not as a little kid, just another person along
for the trip. Though not consciously, I resolved to treat him with
respect. Within limits of safety and responsibility, he could do whatever
he wanted. Introductions to others were always on a first name basis; I
didn't make him call anybody "Mr." I didn't watch my language. I didn't
ask him about his schoolwork. I didn't make him eat vegetables. On the
river, despite some tough and dangerous conditions, I let him be as
self-reliant as possible.

At the end of two days of fishing, some remarkable things were evident. He
was having a great time. No doubt part of it was just being away from the
apron strings; but most amazingly, he was enjoying the fishing. He was
managing good casts and drifts; and he was hooking into some fish. Sure,
there's some work to do on the mechanics, but who cares. He was enjoying
the casting and the wading and the being outdoors and the camaraderie.

I realize this all may sound like a self-nomination for a dad-of-the-year
award, but it's more of a celebration of a rite of passage for myself. It
was dealing with the reality that my baby isn't a baby anymore. I did a
lot of things right this time, and I'm glad; but I know it's only the
beginning of a long process of knowing when to be there & when to back off
through some tough years ahead. As I watched him sleep in the car on the
long ride home, I was proud of him as my son and very pleased to have him as
my friend.

Joe F.

JR
October 20th, 2003, 04:43 PM
rb608 wrote:

> Three days on the Salmon River is my annual trip with my fishing buddy and
> friend, Craig; and this year marked a rite of passage for my son, who joined
> me on the trip for the first time.........

Can't remember having read a better TR. Thanks.

Ken Fortenberry
October 20th, 2003, 04:46 PM
rb608 wrote:
> Three days on the Salmon River ...
>
> I realize this all may sound like a self-nomination for a dad-of-the-year
> award, but it's more of a celebration of a rite of passage for myself. ...

Well, if you won't do it yourself, please allow me.

And a nomination for TR of the year as well. Nicely done, Joe.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Stan Gula
October 20th, 2003, 04:49 PM
"rb608" > wrote in message
<snip>

Yeah, but can he pass torches yet?

Larry L
October 20th, 2003, 04:52 PM
"rb608" > wrote

> I realize this all may sound like a self-nomination for a dad-of-the-year
> award,

Hell, I'll vote for you <G>

Wonderful TR

Tim J.
October 20th, 2003, 05:02 PM
"rb608" wrote...
> Three days on the Salmon River is my annual trip with my fishing buddy and
> friend, Craig; and this year marked a rite of passage for my son, who joined
> me on the trip for the first time. <snip>

Congrats, Joe. You done good. It's a good thing I carry a hanky to wipe the
tears from my eyes. ;-)
--
TL,
Tim

Jeff Taylor
October 20th, 2003, 05:08 PM
"rb608" > wrote in message

> I was proud of him as my son and very pleased to have him as my friend.

Great stuff Joe,

I spent Saturday and part of Sunday at a scouting camp out with my 12 year
old. We got home about mid day on Sunday and I called my Dad to see if he
would like to take a drive up over the mountain to see if we could find us a
deer.

My wife said you should as Austin to ride along, which I planned to do,
however, figured he would decline as many times before.
I asked and he said "you bet Dad, I'll get ready to go"... I about fell off
my chair.

The three of us had a wonderful afternoon poking around the hills, telling
stories and reminiscing of past hunting trips.

The time with my son and father was priceless...

Jeff

George Adams
October 20th, 2003, 05:47 PM
>From: "rb608"

Very nice Joe. I have all daughters, so no chance of a "guy" trip, but my
closest friend has a son who just turned 40. We began taking him on hunting and
fishing excursions when he was 10, and he killed his first deer with a bow when
he was 12. We always treated him just as you described the treatment of your
son, and I'm sure some of his most treasured memories are of our trips. He is
currently a successful doctor, goes on an annual elk hunt with his dad, and
more importantly, is a good husband and father. You done good, Joe. You've
given your boy a present that no amount of money could buy.

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Tim J.
October 20th, 2003, 05:59 PM
"George Adams" wrote...
> Very nice Joe. I have all daughters, so no chance of a "guy" trip, but my
> closest friend has a son who just turned 40. We began taking him on hunting
and
> fishing excursions when he was 10, and he killed his first deer with a bow
when
> he was 12. <snip>

Doing the math, that makes you about. . . well, really old! :)
--
TL,
Tim

Russell
October 20th, 2003, 06:20 PM
rb608 wrote:
<great TR snipped>

Your post gives me hope. As of yet my son has shown little interest in
fishing.(His little sister, on the other hand, is already making plans
for a fishing trip next summer. She's a bit small yet.) I'm hoping that
someday he may change his mind.

Thanks for the TR.

Russell

Wayne Harrison
October 20th, 2003, 06:38 PM
"rb608" > wrote in message
> Three days on the Salmon River is my annual trip with my fishing buddy and
> friend, Craig; and this year marked a rite of passage for my son, who
joined
> me on the trip for the first time.

just too good, joey. very moving.

doesn't seem possible that it's been thirty years since my first born
caught his first rainbow, on the vernooykill, in upstate new york. he is
about to turn 42, now.
his half-brother, 15, caught his first on big snowbird, here in the old
north state, two years ago.
the images of both incidents are, of course, indelible, and will be
forever a joy to recall.

thanks from
yfitons
wayno

Willi
October 20th, 2003, 09:29 PM
rb608 wrote:

As I watched him sleep in the car on the
> long ride home, I was proud of him as my son and very pleased to have him as
> my friend.

Cool! Not too occassions where adolscent young men and their fathers
get to be "friends".

Willi

Roger Ohlund
October 21st, 2003, 10:19 AM
"rb608" > wrote in message

<snip>

> Because this was his first "guy trip", I resolved to treat him just like
one
> of the guys. Not as my son, not as a little kid, just another person
along
> for the trip. Though not consciously, I resolved to treat him with
> respect. Within limits of safety and responsibility, he could do whatever
> he wanted. Introductions to others were always on a first name basis; I
> didn't make him call anybody "Mr." I didn't watch my language. I didn't
> ask him about his schoolwork. I didn't make him eat vegetables. On the
> river, despite some tough and dangerous conditions, I let him be as
> self-reliant as possible.

<snip>

Joe,

My grandfather did all this with me some 30 years ago. He has ever since
been more than my grandfather, he is also my best friend - my mentor.

My son, 11 years old and slightly dyslectic, has had some tough times the
last few years but is growing into a fine young man without ever loosing his
self esteem in spite of his handicap. Fishing, for him, has become the
safety vent that he needs and giving him the satisfaction of being really
good at something. He can hold 30 yards of line in the air on a four weight
rod, so what if he cant read the meaning of 30 words in a row ;-)

I wouldn't be the guy I am without fly fishing, there is something there
that continuously recharges my batteries and adds strength to the
foundation that I stand on. I guess it is the same for my 11 year old son.

You are giving your son a gift that he will treasure one day. He might not
have difficulties like my son, but never the less.

/Roger