PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Walleye Recipe?

Jim & Lil
February 23rd, 2004, 02:34 AM
Anyone have any healthy IE: 'non greasy or fried" type Walleye recipes
they would like to share with a guy that has just beaten high blood pressure
by diet and excersise?
Going on a 6 week holiday this summer fishing , RV Camping etc..
and would love to eat a few walleye but have to watch how it's cooked.

Thanks in Advance...Jim

Calif Bill
February 23rd, 2004, 04:02 AM
"Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Anyone have any healthy IE: 'non greasy or fried" type Walleye recipes
> they would like to share with a guy that has just beaten high blood
pressure
> by diet and excersise?
> Going on a 6 week holiday this summer fishing , RV Camping etc..
> and would love to eat a few walleye but have to watch how it's cooked.
>
> Thanks in Advance...Jim

Couple of recipes. First is mine. Is fried, but use a non-stick pan and
some Pam. Chop up some almonds to a medium texture, Grate some Parmesan
Cheese (Kraft's would work, but I grate fresh) and mix together. You can
either egg the fish fillet or just dampen it and toss in cheese mixture.
Toss in pan and cook until done with a flip in the middle. Is low fat and
no carbs vs. traditional breading.

2nd. Works really great for Halibut, but walleye would be ok also. Pour a
can of regiular 7-up in a sauce pan, Bring to slow boil and plop fish in to
liquid. cook until done. Halibut comes out a lot like lobster. Use 7-up
not sprite, or store brands. Others say it makes a difference.
Bill

Marty
February 23rd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Jim & Lil <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Anyone have any healthy IE: 'non greasy or fried" type Walleye recipes
> they would like to share with a guy that has just beaten high blood
pressure

Here's a site of diet recipes that I use. They don't list any walleye, but
maybe you could adapt one of the bass recipes. Plus it's a good source of a
wide variety of healthy recipes. http://www.diet.recipes-to-go.com/

Good luck.

Freddy
February 23rd, 2004, 01:09 PM
"Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Anyone have any healthy IE: 'non greasy or fried" type Walleye recipes
> they would like to share with a guy that has just beaten high blood
pressure
> by diet and excersise?
> Going on a 6 week holiday this summer fishing , RV Camping etc..
> and would love to eat a few walleye but have to watch how it's cooked.
>
> Thanks in Advance...Jim

While watching excess fat is important, if he's worried about high blood
pressure
its more important to pay attention to salt.
Eliminate as much salt as possible, use more pepper, herbs other means of
flavoring.

Dan Krueger
February 26th, 2004, 03:12 AM
Fresh walleye filleted, cut into chunks, and boiled will turn out (almost) as
good as lobster. Drawn butter is a bonus if you can work that in!

Dan

Jim & Lil wrote:

> Anyone have any healthy IE: 'non greasy or fried" type Walleye recipes
> they would like to share with a guy that has just beaten high blood pressure
> by diet and excersise?
> Going on a 6 week holiday this summer fishing , RV Camping etc..
> and would love to eat a few walleye but have to watch how it's cooked.
>
> Thanks in Advance...Jim

Rodney LongShot
February 26th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Dan Krueger wrote:

> Fresh walleye filleted, cut into chunks, and boiled will turn out
> (almost) as good as lobster. Drawn butter is a bonus if you can work
> that in!

Do you us Crab boil in the water ?

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,

Calif Bill
February 26th, 2004, 06:07 AM
"Rodney LongShot" .> wrote in message
> Dan Krueger wrote:
>
> > Fresh walleye filleted, cut into chunks, and boiled will turn out
> > (almost) as good as lobster. Drawn butter is a bonus if you can work
> > that in!
>
> Do you us Crab boil in the water ?
>
> --
> Rodney Long,
> Inventor of the Boomerang Fishing Pro. , Stand Out Hooks ,
> Stand Out Lures, Mojo's Rock Hopper & Rig Saver weights, Mojo's Long
> Shot rig
> and the EZKnot http://www.ezknot.com

You could. It is poaching of fish. As opposed to taking fish illegally.
You could use crab boil. I poach Halibut in 7-UP. Use a fish stock and wine
and dill and spices of Choice. Water with a little vinegar and then serve
with a sauce. Capers and Jalapenos is one I have seen, but not tried.
Bill

Outdoors Magazine
February 26th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Jim and Lil,
My favorite way:
baked with a dollop of Smart Balance sprinkled with Italian bread crumbs, a
few pinches of dill, a couple of splashes of white wine drizzled with lemon

Have fun.

--
James Ehlers

Outdoors Magazine
www.outdoorsmagazine.net

"Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Anyone have any healthy IE: 'non greasy or fried" type Walleye recipes
> they would like to share with a guy that has just beaten high blood
pressure
> by diet and excersise?
> Going on a 6 week holiday this summer fishing , RV Camping etc..
> and would love to eat a few walleye but have to watch how it's cooked.
>
> Thanks in Advance...Jim

Dan Krueger
February 27th, 2004, 01:27 AM
A little salt. That's it...