PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's 3 Forks Rods on Sale

George Cleveland
December 21st, 2003, 12:25 AM
Was just looking at the Cabela's site and noticed this. thought it might
interest all you 3 Forks lovers.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2A212DD6

g.c.

Ken Fortenberry
December 21st, 2003, 12:37 AM
George Cleveland wrote:

> Was just looking at the Cabela's site and noticed this. ...

They were getting 50 bucks apiece for those damn things ?!?
And some of you guys were actually buying them !?!!!!

The mind boggles.

And here's another thing that makes absolutely no sense to me.
How long has Qaddafi been the head despot in charge of Libya ?
So why is he still a Colonel ? Don't you think it's high time
he promoted himself to Maitre D' or something ?

--
Ken Fortenberry

George Cleveland
December 21st, 2003, 01:00 AM
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 00:37:27 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>George Cleveland wrote:
>
>> Was just looking at the Cabela's site and noticed this. ...
>
>They were getting 50 bucks apiece for those damn things ?!?
>And some of you guys were actually buying them !?!!!!
>
>The mind boggles.
>
>And here's another thing that makes absolutely no sense to me.
>How long has Qaddafi been the head despot in charge of Libya ?
>So why is he still a Colonel ? Don't you think it's high time
>he promoted himself to Maitre D' or something ?
>
>--
>Ken Fortenberry

Jeez, I can remember when women used to think he was hot and there were
people trying to hawk his "Little Green Book" ( inspired by the Maoists
Little Red Book, I believe) on the street corners of Madison. It sounds
pretty much like he's now decided being a Maitre D' at the International
House of Bushcakes isn't such a bad position.

g.c.

Frank Church
December 21st, 2003, 02:34 AM
(George Cleveland) wrote in
:

> Was just looking at the Cabela's site and noticed this. thought it might
> interest all you 3 Forks lovers.

...no thanks George, now that I'm in the rarified atmosphere of 'boo owners
I just can't bring myself down to that level again. <bseg>

Frank the elitist Church
...but just try to pry my kpos'es from my little pudgy hands!

Charlie Wilson
December 21st, 2003, 05:04 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" wrote:

> They were getting 50 bucks apiece for those damn things ?!?
> And some of you guys were actually buying them !?!!!!

Still too cheap to get one, are you?

Clark Reid
December 21st, 2003, 11:06 AM
It's no secret I am a fan of a fairly high profile brand. But I recently
cast with several rods from the cabelas range and have to say, on a value
for money basis, pretty damn hard to beat!

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
y.com...
> George Cleveland wrote:
>
> > Was just looking at the Cabela's site and noticed this. ...
>
> They were getting 50 bucks apiece for those damn things ?!?
> And some of you guys were actually buying them !?!!!!
>
> The mind boggles.
>
> And here's another thing that makes absolutely no sense to me.
> How long has Qaddafi been the head despot in charge of Libya ?
> So why is he still a Colonel ? Don't you think it's high time
> he promoted himself to Maitre D' or something ?
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Jeff Miller
December 21st, 2003, 01:54 PM
i don't "love" those rods...but i just bought the 3 weight and 8 weight.
both will make good "loaners"...and, if an albie busts the 8 weight,
well...

thanks george.

jeff

George Cleveland wrote:

> Was just looking at the Cabela's site and noticed this. thought it might
> interest all you 3 Forks lovers.
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2A212DD6
>

> g.c.

Wolfgang
December 21st, 2003, 10:38 PM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:06:24 +1300, "Clark Reid"
> > wrote:
>
> >It's no secret I am a fan of a fairly high profile brand. But I recently
> >cast with several rods from the cabelas range and have to say, on a value
> >for money basis, pretty damn hard to beat!
>

> Ever notice how these fans of the high-priced
> stuff always have to qualify their approval for
> anything that costs less than an arm & a leg
> one's first newborn ?

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I like my cheap ass little Okuma Sierra
just fine.......um.....well, o.k., it ain't no Loop....... :)

Wolfgang

Frank Church
December 22nd, 2003, 02:11 AM
(Greg Pavlov) wrote in
:

> I really, really like my second-hand Sage SP 3 wt,
> but ok, it don't hold a candle to one of them
> Reeepub-lican bamboo rods that Church just
> commissioned....

....well ****, I suppose now I'll have to sell my cheap-ass Toyota pickemup
and get one of those Cadillac SUV's (or maybe an Audi) <seg>

George Cleveland
December 22nd, 2003, 03:45 AM
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:11:20 GMT, Frank Church
> wrote:

(Greg Pavlov) wrote in
:

>> I really, really like my second-hand Sage SP 3 wt,
>> but ok, it don't hold a candle to one of them
>> Reeepub-lican bamboo rods that Church just
>> commissioned....
>
>...well ****, I suppose now I'll have to sell my cheap-ass Toyota pickemup
>and get one of those Cadillac SUV's (or maybe an Audi) <seg>

My brother in Gloucestershire just had to choose between a Jaguar or an
Audi for his company car. He chose the Jaggooar.

g.c.

Warren
December 22nd, 2003, 04:19 AM
wrote...
> Ever notice how these fans of the high-priced
> stuff always have to qualify their approval for
> anything that costs less than an arm & a leg
> one's first newborn ?

Indeed. I imagine it is so they don't try to pull the wool over
somebody's eyes with unrealistic expectations for a cheap POS rod.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

daytripper
December 22nd, 2003, 04:24 AM
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:45:39 GMT, (George
Cleveland) wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:11:20 GMT, Frank Church
> wrote:

(Greg Pavlov) wrote in
:

>>> I really, really like my second-hand Sage SP 3 wt,
>>> but ok, it don't hold a candle to one of them
>>> Reeepub-lican bamboo rods that Church just
>>> commissioned....
>>
>>...well ****, I suppose now I'll have to sell my cheap-ass Toyota pickemup
>>and get one of those Cadillac SUV's (or maybe an Audi) <seg>
>
> My brother in Gloucestershire just had to choose between a Jaguar or an
>Audi for his company car. He chose the Jaggooar.

Sorry to hear about your brain-damaged brother. Truly tragic...

/daytripper (A Ford by any other name...tsk tsk... ;-)

George Cleveland
December 22nd, 2003, 11:09 AM
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 04:24:25 GMT, daytripper >
wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 03:45:39 GMT, (George
>Cleveland) wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:11:20 GMT, Frank Church
> wrote:

(Greg Pavlov) wrote in
:

>>>...well ****, I suppose now I'll have to sell my cheap-ass Toyota pickemup
>>>and get one of those Cadillac SUV's (or maybe an Audi) <seg>
>>
>> My brother in Gloucestershire just had to choose between a Jaguar or an
>>Audi for his company car. He chose the Jaggooar.
>
>Sorry to hear about your brain-damaged brother. Truly tragic...
>
>/daytripper (A Ford by any other name...tsk tsk... ;-)

Yes, I know. He's the black sheep of the family.

g.c.

My company car is a 1992 Sentra with the optional fly patch sun visors.

ezflyfisher
December 22nd, 2003, 12:05 PM
Jeff Miller wrote:
> i don't "love" those rods...but i just bought the 3 weight and 8 weight.
> both will make good "loaners"...and, if an albie busts the 8 weight,
> well...

man, i wanna be there albie fishin with ya.... I'll think I'm Jimmy Houston.

bust.... 2 o'clock, 150 yds. PJ motors the boat into perfect range as
you are stripping line off the reel preparing for the encounter. You
repeatedly false cast as you attempt to load the kpos for presentation
of the fly to those rocket denizens of the deep. the fish are gone, the
fly is still in the air. houston, we have a problem.

a few hours later, with many frustrating replays of scene 1 in the book,
a bust occurs real close to the boat and a relatively successful cast
results in a hookup of about a 15 pounder. the denizen decides to depart
for jamaica and the kpos reel is torqued out at full drag setting.

can you smell that smell? ... it surrounds you..... wow, that reel looks
like a spacecraft on reentry,,, it's glowing! houston, we have a problem.

the reel freezes on meltdown and now the fight is transferred to the
rod. the dastardly denizen ain't happy with just a 200 yard run in less
than a minute and is determined for another run. the rod is bending.
bust! where?... yells PJ. houston, we have a problem.

seriously jeff, would you hunt a deer with a bb gun?

now i say/imagery all this with prejudicial humor. the cabellies gear
may perform good (8wt is too small).... i don't know. what i do know is
that i will have what i consider to be the right equipment when fishing
to those devils. a super strong rod and a super strong reel. sage xi2
and a tibor riptide... in 10 wt class. i know they perform.

merry christmas my friend.... i hope to spend many days this coming year
chasin' albies with ya....

wally, been practicin' my double haul.....

@(Peter A. Collin)rochester.rr.com
December 22nd, 2003, 12:38 PM
You remind me of a steelhead I hooked last year. It was extremely hot -
about a 10 pounder. I had a Fin Nor anti-reverse that I had recently
bought. Very pretty and tightly machined reel, but the cork drag pad
was a bit dry. That fish literally smoked my reel. I smelled something
burning, then the reel made a chattering sound and smoke came out. i
had to stick the reel in the stream to prevent a meltdown. All to the
amusement of those all around me. I got rid of that reel last winter!
No more anti reverses for me!

Pete Collin

Jeff Miller
December 22nd, 2003, 01:13 PM
ezflyfisher wrote:

> seriously jeff, would you hunt a deer with a bb gun?

camera, maybe. only deer i've ever seen killed was downed with a .22.
we were squirrell hunting.

> now i say/imagery all this with prejudicial humor. the cabellies gear
> may perform good (8wt is too small).... i don't know. what i do know is
> that i will have what i consider to be the right equipment when fishing
> to those devils. a super strong rod and a super strong reel. sage xi2
> and a tibor riptide... in 10 wt class. i know they perform.

ahhh... i'll be breaking a $30 pos on an albie... but, my good friend
will have a fine rod and reel, and he'll need to rest or drink a beer
sooner or later, eh? <g>

> merry christmas my friend.... i hope to spend many days this coming year
> chasin' albies with ya....

looking forward to that and more...

> wally, been practicin' my double haul.....

wuss...<g>

happy holidays

jeff & rachel

rb608
December 22nd, 2003, 03:27 PM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> Welllll, now that Ford has applied its own highly-regarded
> quality control systems to the marque, why not ??

I once owned a Ford Taurus (aka worst POS I've ever owned), and it had one
of those "Quality" stickers on the rear window. There was an obvious flaw
in the sticker; shoulda been a tip off about what it really represented.
:-)

Joe F.

Mark W. Oots
December 22nd, 2003, 04:09 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
y.com...
> George Cleveland wrote:
>
> > Was just looking at the Cabela's site and noticed this. ...
>
> They were getting 50 bucks apiece for those damn things ?!?
> And some of you guys were actually buying them !?!!!!
>
> The mind boggles.
>
> And here's another thing that makes absolutely no sense to me.
> How long has Qaddafi been the head despot in charge of Libya ?
> So why is he still a Colonel ? Don't you think it's high time
> he promoted himself to Maitre D' or something ?
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

I think that when he came to power, he had everyone of the same or higher
rank killed so that he was the highest ranking officer.....sort of the same
way some guys try to gain power in a big corporation.

Rome didn't build a great empire by having meetings, they did it by killing
everyone that got in their way....(Bring that up at the next meeting)

Mark

---

Allen Epps
December 22nd, 2003, 04:59 PM
In article >, Greg Pavlov
> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:11:20 GMT, Frank Church
> > wrote:
>

> >...well ****, I suppose now I'll have to sell my cheap-ass Toyota pickemup
> >and get one of those Cadillac SUV's (or maybe an Audi) <seg
>
> An Audi ??? What are you trying to do, get
> in good with the Trial Lawyers for Clinton
> crowd ? I hear the Pirate's been down that
> path for a while, don't know how far he's
> gotten.

Having a father that worked inthe US steel industry his whole career,
if could find an American built mid-size sedan with AWD, decent
handling that gets 35 mpg I'd buy it. I the meantime I'll stick with my
6 year old Audi A4 Quattro.

Allen
Catonsville, MD

Tim J.
December 22nd, 2003, 05:10 PM
"Greg Pavlov" wrote...
> "rb608" wrote:
>

> >I once owned a Ford Taurus (aka worst POS I've ever owned), and it had one
> >of those "Quality" stickers on the rear window. There was an obvious flaw
> >in the sticker; shoulda been a tip off about what it really represented.
> >:-)
> >

> We enjoyed a Ford Taurus wagon, a Crown Victoria
> wagon, a Mercury Sable, and a Mercury Villager.
> The Taurus was a demo and the rest were bought
> used with < 25K miles. All of them required lots
> of face time with mechanics.

Slow learner? You'd have thought with a name like Pavlov. . . :)
--
TL,
Tim

Mike Connor
December 22nd, 2003, 05:12 PM
"Tim J." > schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Slow learner? You'd have thought with a name like Pavlov. . . :)
> --
> TL,
> Tim
> ------------------------
> http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Some people are dogged all their lives as a result of their names! :)

TL
MC

Scott Seidman
December 22nd, 2003, 05:15 PM
"Mike Connor" > wrote in news:bs78ms$a4el7$1@ID-
217912.news.uni-berlin.de:

> "Tim J." > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>
>> Slow learner? You'd have thought with a name like Pavlov. . . :)
>> --
>> TL,
>> Tim
>> ------------------------
>> http://css.sbcma.com/timj
>>

> Some people are dogged all their lives as a result of their names! :)
>
> TL
> MC

Greg just salivates a lot, usually when he sees intact flyfishing gear, and
anticipates its imminent destruction.

Scott

Clark Reid
December 22nd, 2003, 05:45 PM
Sorry if it seemed that way Greg,

I think I said High profile, but I'll go with "high-priced". However I
didn't believe I was justifying it. I certainly wasn't comparing because I
didn't think they measured up to the brand I like but I did think they were
a lot of rod for the money.

I find it interesting that if I am totally parochial about the rods I favor
then I am considered biased and if I do offer an compliment to another brand
I am "justifying" it.

The reason I put in the opening statement was more to endorse the following
comments as those that know me personally will know I have preference and to
endorse another brand takes a bit of doing for me. The comment was meant to
enhance the comments not justify them. :)

--
Clark Reid
http://www.dryflynz.com

"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 00:06:24 +1300, "Clark Reid"
> > wrote:
>
> >It's no secret I am a fan of a fairly high profile brand. But I recently
> >cast with several rods from the cabelas range and have to say, on a value
> >for money basis, pretty damn hard to beat!
>

> Ever notice how these fans of the high-priced
> stuff always have to qualify their approval for
> anything that costs less than an arm & a leg
> one's first newborn ?

Allen Epps
December 22nd, 2003, 06:22 PM
In article >, Greg Pavlov
> wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 11:59:02 -0500, Allen Epps >
> wrote:
>
> >> An Audi ??? What are you trying to do, get
> >> in good with the Trial Lawyers for Clinton
> >> crowd ? I hear the Pirate's been down that
> >> path for a while, don't know how far he's
> >> gotten.
> >
> >Having a father that worked inthe US steel industry his whole career,
> >if could find an American built mid-size sedan with AWD, decent
> >handling that gets 35 mpg I'd buy it. I the meantime I'll stick with my
> >6 year old Audi A4 Quattro.
> >

> Six years old, eh ? And they still haven't let
> you in ??
>
> My father's major marketing research account was
> GM. Some of the stories he had to tell would have
> fit right into David Halberstam's book.

From the organization that brought us Robert Strange McNamara IIRC?
The results of me mixing with anyone of the Clinton crowd would be
amusing but certainly would result in someone having to get peeled off
of someone.

I (along with everyone else) was ordered to wait in a Hangar in Aviano
for him and herself to show up and thank us for a "job well done" after
the Kosovo debacle. He was four hours late and the only people that he
shook hands with were the handpicked rainbow coalition up front. We
were just there for background. .. rant-off

Allen
Catonsville, MD

Frank Reid
December 22nd, 2003, 10:23 PM
> From the organization that brought us Robert Strange McNamara IIRC?
> The results of me mixing with anyone of the Clinton crowd would be
> amusing but certainly would result in someone having to get peeled off
> of someone.

Clintonites are all around you Allen! Gonna give your bonus back 'cause you
helped hire one?

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Charlie Wilson
December 22nd, 2003, 11:55 PM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> Welllll, now that Ford has applied its own highly-regarded
> quality control systems to the marque, why not ??

I don't think Ford has meddled with the production standards at Jaguar,
and I'm certain they have also left Volvo alone since that acquisition. My
Volvo was built since Ford took over, and it's a delightful machine; my
company car is a 2002 Ford Crown Vic, and it's as miserable of a flaming
death trap as ever rolled down the highway.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/01/30/crown.victoria.lawsuit/
http://www.safetyforum.com/cvpi/
http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=96&did=759

The Dallas officer mentioned in the last article was the younger brother
of one of my closest friends. Ford's official attitude has been "Screw 'em,
we are the only makers of a suitable full size American sedan, and they HAVE
to buy from us, so we ain't fixing nuthin." Because of this, I will never
purchase a Ford product, and I won't replace my beloved Volvo with another
as Ford stands to profit.