PDA

View Full Version : medium action rod blanks

Gian Andrea
December 23rd, 2003, 04:41 PM
Hi!

I'd like to know your opinion on your preferred affordable medium-action fly
rod blanks, partially because I am having trouble roll-casting with my
medium-fast action 5 weight 9 foot Sage (and I got it as a gift, and I tend
to bang it around in smaller streams on the branches when trying to
roll-cast - OK, I'm a neophyte!) Has anyone tried the Cabela's PT? I was
thinking of making a 3 or 4 weight 8 foot long rod for smallish streams (I
won a 2 weight 7'ft6inch, but it's hard to cast.) Is there an inexpensive
blank similar in action to the Winston WT?

Thanks!

John

P.S. If replying personally, please remove ".removethis" at end of email
address.

Tight lines!

Tim J.
December 23rd, 2003, 04:54 PM
"Gian Andrea" wrote...
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to know your opinion on your preferred affordable medium-action fly
> rod blanks, partially because I am having trouble roll-casting with my
> medium-fast action 5 weight 9 foot Sage (and I got it as a gift, and I tend
> to bang it around in smaller streams on the branches when trying to
> roll-cast - OK, I'm a neophyte!) Has anyone tried the Cabela's PT? I was
> thinking of making a 3 or 4 weight 8 foot long rod for smallish streams (I
> won a 2 weight 7'ft6inch, but it's hard to cast.) Is there an inexpensive
> blank similar in action to the Winston WT?

If it were me (and it ain't), I'd consider modifying my casting style a bit
before investing in another rod. Personally, I don't like rods in any length
over 8.5' for small streams, but when there's a lot of overhead obstruction I
modify the cast to more of a sidearm action. In certain cases, I've had to learn
to cast with my left arm rather than my favored right, or cast over my opposite
shoulder.

IMHO, a roll cast really shouldn't have a different action than a normal cast
when done properly. It sounds like you may want to spend more time in a practice
mode and work out some of these things first. Then it's on to gearwhoredom!

BTW, it sounds like that two weight is just getting in the way. If it will help,
get rid of it by mailing it to:
Rod Disposal Dept.
c/o Solutions by Computer, Inc.
191 Chestnut Street
Springfield, MA 01103
--
HTH,
Tim

George Adams
December 23rd, 2003, 09:33 PM

>"Tim J."
> wrote:

>>BTW, it sounds like that two weight is just getting in the way. If it will
>help,
>>get rid of it by mailing it to:
>>Rod Disposal Dept. ...

> I'll raise that bid by $30.

Geez, Greg, I don't think he should have to pay $30 to get rid of that rod.
I'll dispose of it for $20. (plus postage, of course) {;-)

George Adams

"All good fishermen stay young until they die, for fishing is the only dream of
youth that doth not grow stale with age."
---- J.W Muller

Tim J.
December 23rd, 2003, 10:10 PM
"George Adams" wrote...

> >"Tim J."
> > wrote:
>
> >>BTW, it sounds like that two weight is just getting in the way. If it will
> >help,
> >>get rid of it by mailing it to:
> >>Rod Disposal Dept. ...
>
> > I'll raise that bid by $30.
>
> Geez, Greg, I don't think he should have to pay $30 to get rid of that rod.
> I'll dispose of it for $20. (plus postage, of course) {;-)

Look you two - I've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in environmentally
safe fly rod disposal equipment. The EPA permits alone cost thousands per year.
PLUS, I perform this fine service for free (donations are always appreciated,
however) as an effort to make the world a better place to live.
--
TL,
Tim

Larry and a cat named Dub
December 23rd, 2003, 11:33 PM
Might I recommend breaking it up in 6 inch pieces to make shipping easier?

Willi
December 24th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Gian Andrea wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'd like to know your opinion on your preferred affordable medium-action fly
> rod blanks, partially because I am having trouble roll-casting with my
> medium-fast action 5 weight 9 foot Sage (and I got it as a gift, and I tend
> to bang it around in smaller streams on the branches when trying to
> roll-cast - OK, I'm a neophyte!) Has anyone tried the Cabela's PT? I was
> thinking of making a 3 or 4 weight 8 foot long rod for smallish streams (I
> won a 2 weight 7'ft6inch, but it's hard to cast.) Is there an inexpensive
> blank similar in action to the Winston WT?

Both these companies have inexpensive moderate actioned blanks and kits:

http://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/Home.asp

http://www.hdo.net/~jjking/blanks.html

Although I know it's heresy, I had a 9' 3 weight I built from a JJ king
blank that fished alot like a traditional Winston.

Willi

Lat705
December 24th, 2003, 01:12 AM
It's probaly you and not the rod when it comes to roll casting. I had total
lack of success roll casting. Finally had the sense to ask someone to show me
how to do it properly. After15 minutes she straigtened me out. more than
tripled my distance, not to mention smoothness and accuracy.

daytripper
December 24th, 2003, 02:23 AM
On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:02:30 -0700, Willi > wrote:

>Gian Andrea wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I'd like to know your opinion on your preferred affordable medium-action fly
>> rod blanks, partially because I am having trouble roll-casting with my
>> medium-fast action 5 weight 9 foot Sage (and I got it as a gift, and I tend
>> to bang it around in smaller streams on the branches when trying to
>> roll-cast - OK, I'm a neophyte!) Has anyone tried the Cabela's PT? I was
>> thinking of making a 3 or 4 weight 8 foot long rod for smallish streams (I
>> won a 2 weight 7'ft6inch, but it's hard to cast.) Is there an inexpensive
>> blank similar in action to the Winston WT?
>

>Both these companies have inexpensive moderate actioned blanks and kits:
>
>http://www.mailordercentral.com/hookhack/Home.asp
>
>http://www.hdo.net/~jjking/blanks.html
>

>Although I know it's heresy, I had a 9' 3 weight I built from a JJ king
>blank that fished alot like a traditional Winston.

Wasn't there a parable about a thousand typewriting monkeys? ;-)

Hey, it could happen. I have a 9/5 Powell blank custom that fishes kinda like
my ill-fated 9/5 Winston pre-Twin Bridges classic. It is heavier and not as
precise as the tip section is not as finely tapered, but it's in the ballpark.
The cosmetics aren't even in the same universe, of course.

So Winston now has a $300 line of rods. Anyone had a chance to try one?

http://www.winstonrods.com/rods/rods_IBIS.cfm

/daytripper (Once I recover from Christmas I gotta go shopping for me ;-)

Tim J.
December 24th, 2003, 12:52 PM
"Larry and a cat named Dub" wroteom...
> Might I recommend breaking it up in 6 inch pieces to make shipping easier?

Breaking the rod will release harmful carcinogens into the air. To prevent this,
the rod should be shipped wrapped in a soft cloth (like, say, a rod sock) and
placed in an aluminum tube. I will, of course, dispose of these in the same
careful manner as the rod.
--
TL,
Tim

Francis Reid
December 24th, 2003, 02:28 PM
> Look you two - I've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in environmentally
> safe fly rod disposal equipment. The EPA permits alone cost thousands per year.
> PLUS, I perform this fine service for free (donations are always appreciated,
> however) as an effort to make the world a better place to live.

Excuse me son, let a professional handle this. I, as a service to the
community, have even invested in custom-tailored cartographic and
geospatial programs that will track the dispersion of the heinous
carcinogens and have satelite tracking of each and every one (valued
over $350 US) with RFID tagging and a network of sensors. Friggen
amateurs.
Frank Reid

Wayne Knight
December 24th, 2003, 09:31 PM
"daytripper" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:02:30 -0700, Willi > wrote:
>

> So Winston now has a $300 line of rods. Anyone had a chance to try one?
>
> http://www.winstonrods.com/rods/rods_IBIS.cfm

Decent little sticks, obviously not finished with the care that know as
Winston, but the action is unlike anything "Winston". Sticks are pretty damn
quick.

> /daytripper (Once I recover from Christmas I gotta go shopping for me ;-)

Knowing your taste in rods is about like mine, consider passing on the IBIS.