PDA

View Full Version : Yum. Another recipe.

riverman
December 24th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Cooked a Snoek last night. It was, unfortunately, a frozen snoek shipped in
from South Africa, but it was still tasty as hell, with a very
distinguishable flavor.

For those who don't know (like me), a snoek is apparently (according to one
website) a type of Barracuda. According to another, its a sal****er Pike (at
least it fillets like one), and according to the slices of fish I got, it
looks like an eel, or maybe a barbel. The slices were about a foot long,
about 1 inch thick, and about 4 inches tall. Very strange. Also very bony,
with two sets of 'Y' bones in the abdomen.

First I had to fillet it...not a simple task, but I managed to get every
bone out and still have abundant meat for dinner. Its a scaleless fish, so I
left the skin on, and scored the skin a few times to reduce curling.

I barbequed the fillets over hot coals, first with the skin side down, and
basted the meat side with an Apricot sauce. (large glob of Mango Chutney,
large glob of Apricot jam, big squirt of honey, dash of vinegar, dash of
olive oil, pinch of salt, spoonful of sugar, dash of soy sauce). Rolled the
fillets over, painted on some more sauce, and let the meat side get
caramelized.

Served it with buttered snap beans and toasted pine nuts, and baby potatoes
glazed in soy and pepper. Washed it down with a nice South African Pinotage.

Yum.

Merry Christmas, everyone!!

--riverman

Jeff Taylor
December 24th, 2003, 03:38 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message

> For those who don't know (like me), a snoek is apparently (according to
one
> website) a type of Barracuda. According to another, its a sal****er Pike
(at
> least it fillets like one), and according to the slices of fish I got, it
> looks like an eel, or maybe a barbel. The slices were about a foot long,
> about 1 inch thick, and about 4 inches tall. Very strange. Also very bony,
> with two sets of 'Y' bones in the abdomen.

Sounds like a descendant of the pike if it has Y bones... Awesome dinner,
had my mouth watering!

> Merry Christmas, everyone!!

Same to you and yours

Jeff T.

Ken Fortenberry
December 24th, 2003, 04:29 PM
riverman wrote:

> Cooked a Snoek last night.
> Yum.
>
> Merry Christmas, everyone!!

Yum, indeed. Sounds good, Myron. I didn't get out goose hunting this
year so the Holiday Feast here at Chez Forty is gonna be deep fried
calamari with dried tomato and chipotle aioli, cioppino ala Forty,
and an orange, avocado and endive salad. I love a feast !

The joys of the season to all in roffiana !!

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tom Littleton
December 24th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Forty writes:
> the Holiday Feast here at Chez Forty is gonna be deep fried
>calamari with dried tomato and chipotle aioli, cioppino ala Forty,
>and an orange, avocado and endive salad

My wife(born a Cappiarola) would heartily approve. At our place, we mix the
Italian specialities with my WASPy mix of cocktail shrimp, prime rib and all
Tom

Danl
December 24th, 2003, 05:31 PM
"Tom Littleton" > wrote in message
> Forty writes:
> > the Holiday Feast here at Chez Forty is gonna be deep fried
> >calamari with dried tomato and chipotle aioli, cioppino ala Forty,
> >and an orange, avocado and endive salad
>
> My wife(born a Cappiarola) would heartily approve. At our place, we mix
the
> Italian specialities with my WASPy mix of cocktail shrimp, prime rib and
all
> Tom

Buncha friggin' commies!

THE proper Christmas dinner was, is , and always will be; Roasted turkey
(without any sordid aberrations of mixtures of *anything* stuffed in its
body cavity), mashed taters, giblet gravy (made from scratch and containing
none of that smoke-in-the-bottle crap), a pan of cornbread dressing (made
with about a cup of homegrown sage), cranberry sauce (the kind that comes in
a can and wiggles like Jello), and for dessert a pumpkin pie and that red
Jello dish with all that stringy stuff in it.

If you don't like the traditional Christmas Dinner and want to eat all that
EYE-talian stuff, go get your own damn holiday and call it All Mobster's Eve
or Saint Soprano's Day or something.

Danl

Guyz-N-Flyz
December 24th, 2003, 07:04 PM
"Danl" > wrote in message
> THE proper Christmas dinner was, is , and always will be; Roasted turkey
> (without any sordid aberrations of mixtures of *anything* stuffed in its
> body cavity), mashed taters, giblet gravy (made from scratch and
containing
> none of that smoke-in-the-bottle crap), a pan of cornbread dressing (made
> with about a cup of homegrown sage), cranberry sauce (the kind that comes
in
> a can and wiggles like Jello), and for dessert a pumpkin pie and that red
> Jello dish with all that stringy stuff in it.
>
> If you don't like the traditional Christmas Dinner and want to eat all
that
> EYE-talian stuff, go get your own damn holiday and call it All Mobster's
Eve
> or Saint Soprano's Day or something.
>
> Danl

I'm slow cookin' a venison tenderloin in the crock-pot with potatoes,
carrots, onions (white and yellar), mushrooms, various spices--includin'
bayleaf, garlic, brown sugar, honey, lemon juices, meat soakin' up red wine
marinade even as I type. Is that ok, or do I just toss it and begin again?

Op --no cook, but one hell of an eater--

Jeff Miller
December 24th, 2003, 09:05 PM
Guyz-N-Flyz wrote:

> "Danl" properly noted:
>
>> THE proper Christmas dinner was, is , and always will be; Roasted turkey
>>(without any sordid aberrations of mixtures of *anything* stuffed in its
>>body cavity), mashed taters, giblet gravy (made from scratch and

op deerly sinned and asked:

> Is that ok, or do I just toss it and begin again?

to which i respond:

definitely toss it. uh... any way you can toss it over here? i'll pay
overnight delivery.

jeff (who's evening dining will be limited to the consumption of 2
bottles of wine followed by a bottle of 10 year old port and perhaps a
case of beer - gifts of the season from folks in whom kindness and the
xmas spirit abides. so far, none of the kind souls have gifted me a hot
meal, so i'll just have to make do.)

Stan Gula
December 24th, 2003, 09:29 PM
"Danl" > wrote in message
> THE proper Christmas dinner was, is , and always will be; Roasted turkey
> (without any sordid aberrations of mixtures of *anything* stuffed in its
> body cavity), mashed taters, giblet gravy (made from scratch and
containing
> none of that smoke-in-the-bottle crap), a pan of cornbread dressing (made
> with about a cup of homegrown sage), cranberry sauce (the kind that comes
in
> a can and wiggles like Jello), and for dessert a pumpkin pie and that red
> Jello dish with all that stringy stuff in it.

Piffle. Hash brownies and egg nog for breakfast. Then eat anything (and
everything) you can find the rest of the day. Hint: hide the hash brownies
because it's *bad* if that's all you have to eat...
--
Stan Gula
http://gula.org/roffswaps

Tom Littleton
December 24th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Dan'l notes:
>If you don't like the traditional Christmas Dinner and want to eat all that
>EYE-talian stuff, go get your own damn holiday and call it All Mobster's Eve
>or Saint Soprano's Day or something.

Duly noted....Lisa says her people will be in touch with you shortly<g>........
Tom

Wayne Harrison
December 24th, 2003, 10:10 PM
"Guyz-N-Flyz" > wrote
> I'm slow cookin' a venison tenderloin in the crock-pot with potatoes,
> carrots, onions (white and yellar), mushrooms, various spices--includin'
> bayleaf, garlic, brown sugar, honey, lemon juices, meat soakin' up red
wine
> marinade even as I type. Is that ok, or do I just toss it and begin
again?

> Op --no cook, but one hell of an eater--

me and ms. speight will be there by, oh, say, 8ish...

yfitp
wayno & ree (that "f" was plural)

Tom Littleton
December 24th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Stan notes:
>Hint: hide the hash brownies
>because it's *bad* if that's all you have to eat...

explain why again...?
pass the egg nog,
and BTW, go PATS!!!
Tom

Stan Gula
December 24th, 2003, 11:32 PM
"Tom Littleton" > wrote in message
> Stan notes:
> >Hint: hide the hash brownies
> >because it's *bad* if that's all you have to eat...
>
> explain why again...?

I forget. What were we talking about? Oh wow, brownies.

Guyz-N-Flyz
December 24th, 2003, 11:38 PM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message
> to which i respond:
>
> definitely toss it. uh... any way you can toss it over here? i'll pay
> overnight delivery.
>
> jeff (who's evening dining will be limited to the consumption of 2
> bottles of wine followed by a bottle of 10 year old port and perhaps a
> case of beer - gifts of the season from folks in whom kindness and the
> xmas spirit abides. so far, none of the kind souls have gifted me a hot
> meal, so i'll just have to make do.)

There'll be plenty of the good stuff left come Spring-time. Maybe we can
convince our favorite, knuckle-draggin', southern red-neck chef, good 'ol
Lennie to fix us a proper venison meal. I promise provide all the *proper*
fixin's, as long as it's not too long, cold, and hard a Winter. In case the
Winter is long, cold, and hard, we may just have to fix ourselves a mess of
pickled hard-boiled eggs and mass quantities of beer!

Op

Guyz-N-Flyz
December 24th, 2003, 11:40 PM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
.com...

> "Guyz-N-Flyz" > wrote
> > I'm slow cookin' a venison tenderloin in the crock-pot with potatoes,
> > carrots, onions (white and yellar), mushrooms, various spices--includin'
> > bayleaf, garlic, brown sugar, honey, lemon juices, meat soakin' up red
> wine
> > marinade even as I type. Is that ok, or do I just toss it and begin
> again?
> >
> > Op --no cook, but one hell of an eater--
>
> me and ms. speight will be there by, oh, say, 8ish...

AM or PM?

> yfitp
> wayno & ree (that "f" was plural)

What "f"?

Op

Tim J.
December 25th, 2003, 01:11 AM
"Guyz-N-Flyz" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> "Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
> .com...
> >
> > "Guyz-N-Flyz" > wrote
> > > I'm slow cookin' a venison tenderloin in the crock-pot with potatoes,
> > > carrots, onions (white and yellar), mushrooms, various spices--includin'
> > > bayleaf, garlic, brown sugar, honey, lemon juices, meat soakin' up red
> > wine
> > > marinade even as I type. Is that ok, or do I just toss it and begin
> > again?
> > >
> > > Op --no cook, but one hell of an eater--
> >
> > me and ms. speight will be there by, oh, say, 8ish...
>
> AM or PM?
>
> > yfitp
> > wayno & ree (that "f" was plural)
>
> What "f"?

Obviously, you need to pay more "f"ing attention.
--
TL,
Tim

Tim J.
December 25th, 2003, 01:13 AM
"Stan Gula" > wrote in message
> "Tom Littleton" > wrote in message
> > Stan notes:
> > >Hint: hide the hash brownies
> > >because it's *bad* if that's all you have to eat...
> >
> > explain why again...?
>
> I forget. What were we talking about? Oh wow, brownies.

Careful, Stan. You're going to turn into "Bad Santa".
--
TL,
Tim

Mike
December 25th, 2003, 06:42 AM
Pass the brownies please............I am in agreement with Dan'l except i like
ham baked tater biscuits and chocolate pie

Handyman Mike
Standing in a river waving a stick

Herman Nijland
December 25th, 2003, 10:04 AM
Sounds yummy Riverman! I'll just have to make do with a fine piece of
lambchop, simmered for about 4 to 5 hours in the oven. :-)
As I'm here, de-lurking for the moment, I wish all roffians a great
christmas and allready a fantastic 2004!

--
Herman

Big Dale
December 25th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Handyman Mike wrote:>Pass the brownies please............I am in agreement with
Dan'l except i
>like
>ham baked tater biscuits and chocolate pie

That all sound great to me, but am I the only one where the family had a
tradition of oysters in the cornbread dressing?

Big Dale

Wayne Knight
December 25th, 2003, 12:39 PM
"Big Dale" > wrote in message

> That all sound great to me, but am I the only one where the family had a
> tradition of oysters in the cornbread dressing?

No

Frank Church
December 25th, 2003, 01:58 PM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in news:A56dnSs44Nw8R3eiRVn-
:

> "Big Dale" > wrote in message
>

>> That all sound great to me, but am I the only one where the family had a
>> tradition of oysters in the cornbread dressing?

I won't say it was a tradition, but I remember Mom putting oysters in the
turkey stuffing...delicious!

Frank Church

Danl
December 25th, 2003, 09:15 PM
"Tom Littleton" > wrote in message
> Dan'l notes:
> >If you don't like the traditional Christmas Dinner and want to eat all
that
> >EYE-talian stuff, go get your own damn holiday and call it All Mobster's
Eve
> >or Saint Soprano's Day or something.
>
> Duly noted....Lisa says her people will be in touch with you
shortly<g>........
> Tom

Errr...ummm...hey, Tom....Could you please tell Lisa's people "thanks" for
the Christmas present. I don't want to seem ungrateful or anything but we
don't know how to properly prepare horsehead. Maybe it's another one of
those Italian dishes.

Danl

PS Please ask them to leave any future livestock related presents in the
kitchen rather than my bed, ok?

Wayne Harrison
December 25th, 2003, 09:23 PM
"Danl" > wrote in message

> "Tom Littleton" > wrote in message
> > Dan'l notes:
> > >If you don't like the traditional Christmas Dinner and want to eat all
> that
> > >EYE-talian stuff, go get your own damn holiday and call it All
Mobster's
> Eve
> > >or Saint Soprano's Day or something.
> >
> > Duly noted....Lisa says her people will be in touch with you
> shortly<g>........
> > Tom
>

> Errr...ummm...hey, Tom....Could you please tell Lisa's people "thanks" for
> the Christmas present. I don't want to seem ungrateful or anything but we
> don't know how to properly prepare horsehead. Maybe it's another one of
> those Italian dishes.
>
> Danl
>
> PS Please ask them to leave any future livestock related presents in the
> kitchen rather than my bed, ok?

hilarious, but somewhat ominous...

yfitons
wayno (i mean, hell, tlitt is scary as hell *without* connections to the
underworld...)

Tom Littleton
December 25th, 2003, 11:50 PM
wayno notes:
>wayno (i mean, hell, tlitt is scary as hell *without* connections to the
>underworld...)

now, that is hilarious! On a lot of levels, no less.
yfitks Tom
p.s. You should've seen where Lisa and I
had the wedding reception, and you
would know what I mean......

Tom Littleton
December 25th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Dan'l writes:
>Errr...ummm...hey, Tom....Could you please tell Lisa's people "thanks" for
>the Christmas present.

much obliged.....

>we
>don't know how to properly prepare horsehead

you don't prepare it, you leave it where you found it, and move<g>

Tom
p.s. I might even admit that horsehead
might be preferable to a few items on
the Christmas Eve "seven fishes" menu