PDA

View Full Version : rod/line weight

Dan
December 28th, 2003, 05:48 PM
If it is as crucial as I have been led to believe that the line weight
matches the rod weight, what weight line does one use if a rod described as
a "4/5" weight?

Dan

Ken Fortenberry
December 28th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Dan wrote:
> If it is as crucial as I have been led to believe that the line weight
> matches the rod weight, what weight line does one use if a rod described as
> a "4/5" weight?

4DT, 5WF.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Wayne
December 28th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Dan, the line weight does, indeed, need to match the rod. Most rods are
made to handle a line weight one above or one below the noted rod weight.
Given today's "fast" or stiffer rods, most rods tend to handle a line weight
one over quite well, if not better than that listed on the rod. A 4/5 line
weight rod should handle a 4 weight line (probably a bit stiff) and a 5
weight line and a good possibility a 6 weight line. If you use floating
lines you have more flexibility than using sinking lines, sink-tip lines, or
shooting heads. Castability can change when "over-lining" a rod with these
weights more so than with floating lines. Depending on manufacturer, I
would venture to say you would probably do better with a 5 weight line on
your rod.
--
Wayne
To Fish is Human...To Release Divine!

"Dan" <lose > wrote in message
> If it is as crucial as I have been led to believe that the line weight
> matches the rod weight, what weight line does one use if a rod described
as
> a "4/5" weight?
>
> Dan

JR
December 28th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Dan wrote:

> If it is as crucial as I have been led to believe that the line weight
> matches the rod weight, what weight line does one use if a rod described as
> a "4/5" weight?

FFing ain't brain surgery; there's not a lot about it that is
'crucial'.

Still, one common answer to your question (and one a number of rod
makers advise) is "either a DT4 or a WF5". In truth, most rods will
cast well--or reasonably well--more than a single line weight. A rod
rated 4/5, *if* correctly rated (some aren't), would probably cast
either a 4-weight or a 5-weight line fairly well. It is quite possible,
though, that it would cast one better than the other, so I'd try both on
it and see which I thought it handled better.

That said, some rods are more adaptable to a range of line weights than
others are. Personal preference and casting style also play a role. I
might think a given 4/5 rod casts best with a DT4; another person might
prefer a WF4 on it; a third person might cast it best with WF5.

JR

Lat705
December 28th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Any thing from a 3 to a 6 Usually. Probably 6 will be best since most rods are
marked light due to people wanting "fast" rods. If your casting ability is as
good as mine, you wont be able to tell the difference between a 4 and a 5. If
you really can tell the difference, I'd suggest doing a search on ' "common
Cents" fly rod'. It's a system for determining rod weight based on deflection
curves using various weights; in this case pennies are used. Hence the name.
I like to try various weight lines and use what feels the best to me. Try the
rod at the distance you'll be fishing, not the "look at me"" long distances.

Lou T

<< what weight line does one use if a rod described as
a "4/5" weight? >>

Bill Kiene
December 28th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Hi Dan,

As usual all the responses here are very good and very complete.

A high percentage of the time with a fly rod rated for two line sizes, it
would be best with the heavier size. In the past I have seen some really
soft rods that were better with the lower number.

The old adage as stated here in other excellent posts is "DT4/WF5".

Many choose DT lines for shorter distances, mending , roll casting,
short-line nymphing and accuracy.

For open water, most use WF lines. A fact is that the best selling fly line
is a WF5F. Next is a WF6F. I am not promoting anything here, just stating
industry "sell through" facts.

A "double taper" line "loads" (feels heavier) a rod better than a "weight
forward" line at short distances because it's front taper in shorter. Most
DT trout line front tapers are ~8' long and weight forward trout line front
tapers are 10' to 12'. This means that with a DT line you get more belly out
beyond the tip of the rod adding more weight.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

"Dan" <lose > wrote in message

> If it is as crucial as I have been led to believe that the line weight
> matches the rod weight, what weight line does one use if a rod described
as
> a "4/5" weight?
>
> Dan

Bill Kiene
December 28th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Something reasonably new are these "half-size heavier" weight forward
floating fly lines.

SA/Mastery makes the "GPX" series and Rio makes the "Rio Grand" that come
only in weight forward floating lines and are about a half size heavier than
the normal weight forward lines.

For example you might think of these as a "WF 5.5 F".

Today this is what we put on most faster rods and it has been working very
well for us.

It is also good for the new fly casters because they can feel the rod load
better.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

www.kiene.com

www.kiene.com

"Dan" <lose > wrote in message
> If it is as crucial as I have been led to believe that the line weight
> matches the rod weight, what weight line does one use if a rod described
as
> a "4/5" weight?
>
> Dan

Sierra fisher
December 28th, 2003, 09:49 PM
Line weights are determined by the weight of the first 35' of the line.
Rods are designed to load with most of this line out of the guides. However
a lot of your fishing is with less than 35' of line outside of the guides.
If the majority of your fishing is with 20 or 25' of line out, you might
want to get a heavier line so that this shorter section will come closer to
the wieght that the rod is designed for.

"Bill Kiene" > wrote in message
m...
> Something reasonably new are these "half-size heavier" weight forward
> floating fly lines.
>
> SA/Mastery makes the "GPX" series and Rio makes the "Rio Grand" that come
> only in weight forward floating lines and are about a half size heavier
than
> the normal weight forward lines.
>
> For example you might think of these as a "WF 5.5 F".
>
> Today this is what we put on most faster rods and it has been working very
> well for us.
>
> It is also good for the new fly casters because they can feel the rod load
> better.
>
> --
> Bill Kiene
>
> Kiene's Fly Shop
> Sacramento, CA, USA
> www.kiene.com

> www.kiene.com
>

> www.kiene.com
>
> "Dan" <lose > wrote in message
> > If it is as crucial as I have been led to believe that the line weight
> > matches the rod weight, what weight line does one use if a rod described
> as
> > a "4/5" weight?
> >
> > Dan

---

Larry and a cat named Dub
December 29th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Wayne Did you or a fish make up your signature?
Personally I suspect the fish

Bill Kiene
December 29th, 2003, 05:10 AM
Hello SF,

That is excellent information.

Thanks.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

"Sierra fisher" > wrote in message

> Line weights are determined by the weight of the first 35' of the line.
> Rods are designed to load with most of this line out of the guides.
However
> a lot of your fishing is with less than 35' of line outside of the guides.
> If the majority of your fishing is with 20 or 25' of line out, you might
> want to get a heavier line so that this shorter section will come closer
> the wieght that the rod is designed for.
>
> "Bill Kiene" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Something reasonably new are these "half-size heavier" weight forward
> > floating fly lines.
> >
> > SA/Mastery makes the "GPX" series and Rio makes the "Rio Grand" that
come
> > only in weight forward floating lines and are about a half size heavier
> than
> > the normal weight forward lines.
> >
> > For example you might think of these as a "WF 5.5 F".
> >
> > Today this is what we put on most faster rods and it has been working
very
> > well for us.
> >
> > It is also good for the new fly casters because they can feel the rod
load
> > better.
> >
> > --
> > Bill Kiene
> >
> > Kiene's Fly Shop
> > Sacramento, CA, USA
> > www.kiene.com
> >>
> > "Dan" <lose > wrote in message

> > > If it is as crucial as I have been led to believe that the line weight
> > > matches the rod weight, what weight line does one use if a rod
described
> > as
> > > a "4/5" weight?
> > >
> > > Dan
> > >

> ---

Sierra fisher
December 29th, 2003, 06:21 AM
You're pulling my leg, Bill. You know more about rods and lines than anyone
else on this board.

"Bill Kiene" > wrote in message
m...
> Hello SF,
>
> That is excellent information.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Bill Kiene
>
> Kiene's Fly Shop
> Sacramento, CA, USA
> www.kiene.com
>
> "Sierra fisher" > wrote in message
>
> > Line weights are determined by the weight of the first 35' of the line.
> > Rods are designed to load with most of this line out of the guides.
> However
> > a lot of your fishing is with less than 35' of line outside of the
guides.
> > If the majority of your fishing is with 20 or 25' of line out, you might
> > want to get a heavier line so that this shorter section will come closer
> > the wieght that the rod is designed for.
> >
> > "Bill Kiene" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > Something reasonably new are these "half-size heavier" weight forward
> > > floating fly lines.
> > >
> > > SA/Mastery makes the "GPX" series and Rio makes the "Rio Grand" that
> come
> > > only in weight forward floating lines and are about a half size
heavier
> > than
> > > the normal weight forward lines.
> > >
> > > For example you might think of these as a "WF 5.5 F".
> > >
> > > Today this is what we put on most faster rods and it has been working
> very
> > > well for us.
> > >
> > > It is also good for the new fly casters because they can feel the rod
> load
> > > better.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill Kiene
> > >
> > > Kiene's Fly Shop
> > > Sacramento, CA, USA
> > > www.kiene.com

> described
> > > as

> > ---

---

Bill Kiene
December 29th, 2003, 05:52 PM
SF,

I was thanking you for being a good participant on this board by sharing
important knowldge you have aquired.

I am always impressed with the knowledge of people on this board and I do
learn something here daily.

--

Wayne
December 31st, 2003, 12:07 AM
most fish ARE suspect ;-)
--

"Larry and a cat named Dub" > wrote in message
m...
> Wayne Did you or a fish make up your signature?
> Personally I suspect the fish

katie star
January 1st, 2004, 12:53 AM
"Bill Kiene" > wrote in message news:<mzHHb.2998

Hi Bill, you seem very knowledgeable, can you give a list of weights
compared to fly sizes? Like a table, I would guess the following
values would be close

rod/reel weight fly size
2 weight 22-26
3 weight 20
4 weight 16 -20
5 weight 14 -16
6 weight 12 -16
7 weight 10 -12
8 weight 6 - 10
9 weight 2- 8

Willi
January 1st, 2004, 01:45 AM
katie star wrote:

> "Bill Kiene" > wrote in message news:<mzHHb.2998
>
> Hi Bill, you seem very knowledgeable, can you give a list of weights
> compared to fly sizes? Like a table, I would guess the following
> values would be close
>
> rod/reel weight fly size
> 2 weight 22-26
> 3 weight 20
> 4 weight 16 -20
> 5 weight 14 -16
> 6 weight 12 -16
> 7 weight 10 -12
> 8 weight 6 - 10
> 9 weight 2- 8

It's not as straight forward as that. Heavy or very large flies would be
difficult or impossible to cast with the lighter weight rods. All weight
rods can fish a MUCH wider range of fly sizes than what you list and
fish them well. For example, a six weight could handle the whole range
of flies sizes that you listed.

Although SOMETIMES fly size in a consideration in choosing what weight
rod to use, more often it's the water you're going to fish and the size
of the fish you might encounter.

Willi

Wayne P
January 1st, 2004, 03:32 AM
This is interesting . . . . But my fly size to rod wgt is something like
this . . .

4wt - trout rod - typically 12 and smaller. Sometimes a 6 - 8 streamer . . .
5 wt - former trout rod, panfish etc - all of the above plus size 4-8
clousers for white bass, something along the lines of a "chuck & duck". Man
it hurts :-)
6 wt - just bought it havnt used it yet . . . . . hmmmm need to get a line
for it.
7 wt - white bass, bass etc - mainly 6 and larger

This is nothing scientific nor is it from anyone that knows anything. It's
simply what I tend to use on each rod that Iown considering the fish I am
fishing for using that particular rod . . .

wayne

"Willi" > wrote in message

> katie star wrote:
>
> > "Bill Kiene" > wrote in message news:<mzHHb.2998
> >
> > Hi Bill, you seem very knowledgeable, can you give a list of weights
> > compared to fly sizes? Like a table, I would guess the following
> > values would be close
> >
> > rod/reel weight fly size
> > 2 weight 22-26
> > 3 weight 20
> > 4 weight 16 -20
> > 5 weight 14 -16
> > 6 weight 12 -16
> > 7 weight 10 -12
> > 8 weight 6 - 10
> > 9 weight 2- 8
>

> It's not as straight forward as that. Heavy or very large flies would be
> difficult or impossible to cast with the lighter weight rods. All weight
> rods can fish a MUCH wider range of fly sizes than what you list and
> fish them well. For example, a six weight could handle the whole range
> of flies sizes that you listed.
>
> Although SOMETIMES fly size in a consideration in choosing what weight
> rod to use, more often it's the water you're going to fish and the size
> of the fish you might encounter.
>
> Willi

Sierra fisher
January 1st, 2004, 04:26 PM
One fo the biggest factors in deciding what weight rod you will use is the
wind you anticipate finding.

"katie star" > wrote in message
om...
> "Bill Kiene" > wrote in message news:<mzHHb.2998
>
> Hi Bill, you seem very knowledgeable, can you give a list of weights
> compared to fly sizes? Like a table, I would guess the following
> values would be close
>
> rod/reel weight fly size
> 2 weight 22-26
> 3 weight 20
> 4 weight 16 -20
> 5 weight 14 -16
> 6 weight 12 -16
> 7 weight 10 -12
> 8 weight 6 - 10
> 9 weight 2- 8

---

Ernie
January 1st, 2004, 05:22 PM
"katie star" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi Bill, you seem very knowledgeable, can you give a list of
weights
> compared to fly sizes? Like a table, I would guess the
following
> values would be close

Rod size is more related to the type of water and the fish, than
to the fly. Small weight rods for small streams and small fish.
Medium weight rods for lakes, rivers and medium fish. Large
weight rods for large rivers, ocean, stripers, salmon and
steelhead.
Ernie

ArnSaga
January 1st, 2004, 05:46 PM
<< (katie star) >><BR><BR>
<< Like a table, I would guess the following
values would be close

rod/reel weight fly size
2 weight 22-26
3 weight 20
4 weight 16 -20
5 weight 14 -16
6 weight 12 -16
7 weight 10 -12
8 weight 6 - 10
9 weight 2- 8 >><BR><BR>

You can cast a #8 Clouser Minnow with a 3 weight. I've cast larger Dahlberg
Divers for bass on a pond when wind and high water drove me and my 3 wt. off a
trout stream. Not well or far, but well enough to catch fish. You can cast a
#26 Trico with a 10 wt., though it lacks a tad of elegance. Wind and fish
targeted make more difference than the size of the fly. You owe the fish a
quick battle if you're going to release it and a strong rod relative to fish
size can help.

Glenn
GKT

Skwala
January 2nd, 2004, 04:44 PM
"Wayne" > wrote in message
t...
> Dan, the line weight does, indeed, need to match the rod. Most rods are
> made to handle a line weight one above or one below the noted rod weight.
> Given today's "fast" or stiffer rods, most rods tend to handle a line
weight
> one over quite well, if not better than that listed on the rod. A 4/5
line
> weight rod should handle a 4 weight line (probably a bit stiff) and a 5
> weight line and a good possibility a 6 weight line. If you use floating
> lines you have more flexibility than using sinking lines, sink-tip lines,
or
> shooting heads. Castability can change when "over-lining" a rod with
these
> weights more so than with floating lines. Depending on manufacturer, I
> would venture to say you would probably do better with a 5 weight line on
> your rod.
> --
> Wayne
> To Fish is Human...To Release Divine!

Years ago, I knew a fellow that fished a 9 WT DT on a 5 WT rod, seems he
exclusively fished small brushy streams in SW Montana.

Having about 10 feet of 9 WT line past the tip of his rod gave him all he
needed to cast, without getting all hung up in the bushes.

He seemed to be having fun... I never tried it as I fished mainly the bigger
rivers back then.

Skwala