PDA

View Full Version : Pontoon Boat

david ballard
December 29th, 2003, 01:36 AM
OKAY, It time again to voice your opinions! I have been given the green
light to get me one of those nice pontoon boats, you know, the kind where
you can keep your hind end out of the frigid water. I am looking for one
that has river capabilities, as well as still water. I have been searching
the internet, looking at Outcast fish 9, Creek company ODC 816, and various
Water Skeeters. So What does anyone else have, are they happy with it, and
any other recommendations. Thanks for your advice.

David Ballard

Larry L
December 29th, 2003, 02:27 AM
http://www.kickboat.com/

Not a "pontoon" design, but, I love mine.

You won't find a better personal
craft for rivers, including very rough water, or one more honestly portable.
bought a pontoon boat first and never got the damn thing
together the first time before I returned it ... if you have to fight with
frames and tools and little pieces and then keep it assembled and strapped
on top your car ... it ain't portable <G>

Ken Fortenberry
December 29th, 2003, 02:48 AM
david ballard wrote:

> OKAY, It time again to voice your opinions! I have been given the green
> light to get me one of those nice pontoon boats, you know, the kind where
> you can keep your hind end out of the frigid water. I am looking for one
> that has river capabilities, as well as still water. ...

Anybody who puts a kick powered pontoon boat on moving water is a total
****ing moron. Forget pontoon boats, belly boats, silly little inner-tube
contraptions and all that other nonsense and get yourself a canoe.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Larry and a cat named Dub
December 29th, 2003, 03:16 AM
I have a 16 x6 pontoon with duel electric motors. Not portable but I take
out the front seats and a darn nice fly fishing rig or suds sipping boat
live well and radio with country music. Hell I even get my wife to drive
while I fish and I got her permission to say so. Its great for the lake
where I keep it.

Tim Carter
December 29th, 2003, 03:22 AM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
y.com...
> david ballard wrote:
>
> > OKAY, It time again to voice your opinions! I have been given the
green
> > light to get me one of those nice pontoon boats, you know, the kind
where
> > you can keep your hind end out of the frigid water. I am looking for
one
> > that has river capabilities, as well as still water. ...
>
> Anybody who puts a kick powered pontoon boat on moving water is a total
> ****ing moron. Forget pontoon boats, belly boats, silly little inner-tube
> contraptions and all that other nonsense and get yourself a canoe.

or not a ****ing pussy. I didn't read where he said anything about class V
rapids.

Larry L
December 29th, 2003, 03:42 AM
I can't speak for pontoons, but I have used mine in "white water" ....
several different times, and felt 100% totally safe

and I'm a pussy, a lily livered, whimpo ...

check the pictures section at www.kickboat.com for what they can safely do

oh, you do NOT use fins in rivers, at least I don't, that is what the oars
are for ... having your feet dangling ain't real bright ....

Ernie
December 29th, 2003, 03:43 AM
"david ballard" > wrote in message
> OKAY, It time again to voice your opinions! I have been
given the green
> light to get me one of those nice pontoon boats, you know, the
kind where
> you can keep your hind end out of the frigid water. I am
looking for one
> that has river capabilities, as well as still water. I have
been searching
> the internet, looking at Outcast fish 9, Creek company ODC
816, and various
> Water Skeeters. So What does anyone else have, are they happy
with it, and
> any other recommendations. Thanks for your advice.
> David Ballard

Pontoon craft are not made for rivers. You can make one very
economically and easy. They sell the blocks of foam at the
building supplies, They are normally used for making floating
docks. Shape them with wood working tools. Coat them with the
same material used when making docks. There are plans available
or make your own plans.
Ernie

Tim Lysyk
December 29th, 2003, 03:52 AM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
> Anybody who puts a kick powered pontoon boat on moving water is a total
> ****ing moron. Forget pontoon boats, belly boats, silly little inner-tube
> contraptions and all that other nonsense and get yourself a canoe.

You are right about kick-powered boats and float tubes. However, there
are many makes of pontoon boat that are powered by oars that function
very well and very safely on rivers. You keep your feet out of the water
and row. The Outcast series of boats comes to mind. I have an Outcast
900, and it is excellent on rivers. It is also good on lakes, which is
the only palce I will use the fins.

TL
TL

Bill Kiene
December 29th, 2003, 05:06 AM
I would look at the Outcast "Fish Cat 9 Lite" for $579US.

It comes with 9' pontoons, a padded seat, aluminum 3 piece frame, 7' 2 pc
aluminum oars, an anchor system, rod holder, gear bag and motor mount.

It is the hottest pontoon boat on the market this year in it's price point.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

www.kiene.com

www.kiene.com

"david ballard" > wrote in message
> OKAY, It time again to voice your opinions! I have been given the green
> light to get me one of those nice pontoon boats, you know, the kind where
> you can keep your hind end out of the frigid water. I am looking for one
> that has river capabilities, as well as still water. I have been
searching
> the internet, looking at Outcast fish 9, Creek company ODC 816, and
various
> Water Skeeters. So What does anyone else have, are they happy with it,
and
> any other recommendations. Thanks for your advice.
>
> David Ballard

Bill Kiene
December 29th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Hi Ken,

I have been thinking about a canoe. What is one of your favorite
brands/models for 2 anglers for just day trips. I know that many fly fishers
use them including Chico Fernandez and Flip Pallot.

Thanks.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

www.kiene.com

www.kiene.com

"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
y.com...
> david ballard wrote:
>
> > OKAY, It time again to voice your opinions! I have been given the
green
> > light to get me one of those nice pontoon boats, you know, the kind
where
> > you can keep your hind end out of the frigid water. I am looking for
one
> > that has river capabilities, as well as still water. ...
>
> Anybody who puts a kick powered pontoon boat on moving water is a total
> ****ing moron. Forget pontoon boats, belly boats, silly little inner-tube
> contraptions and all that other nonsense and get yourself a canoe.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

George Cleveland
December 29th, 2003, 05:46 AM
On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 02:48:48 GMT, Ken Fortenberry
> wrote:

>david ballard wrote:
>
>> OKAY, It time again to voice your opinions! I have been given the green
>> light to get me one of those nice pontoon boats, you know, the kind where
>> you can keep your hind end out of the frigid water. I am looking for one
>> that has river capabilities, as well as still water. ...
>
>Anybody who puts a kick powered pontoon boat on moving water is a total
>****ing moron. Forget pontoon boats, belly boats, silly little inner-tube
>contraptions and all that other nonsense and get yourself a canoe.
>
>--
>Ken Fortenberry

I love my Mad River Exploer...but, as a fishing platform for one person it
could be better. Paddled by two people it is a fine fishing craft,
especially for the person in the bow.
I have good friend who is limited to a wheelchair. He could never use a
canoe due to its lack of torso support and his problems with using a canoe
paddle. He loves the Hobie pontoon boats, solely using the oars of course.
And he has tried many other brands.

g.c.

Sierra fisher
December 29th, 2003, 06:18 AM
If you are going to go down a river, make sure that you have one rated for
the type water you are going to traverse. Outcast makes a half dozen
different boats, and only a few are rated for fast, moving water. The Fish
Cat series are for flat, moderate rivers without standing waves, like the
American below Nimbus Dam. You have to read between the lines, or call
Outcast to find out their ratings.

I have an Outcast 900 and a Kodiak kickboat. Since the kickboat does not
have a frame, the oars are mounted directly on the pontoon. This makes them
difficult to use, especially when you're dodging boulders. I think that the
kickbat is probably more stable, but I really dislike the oars. the Outcast
is also a lot faster

"Bill Kiene" > wrote in message
m...
> I would look at the Outcast "Fish Cat 9 Lite" for $579US.
>
> It comes with 9' pontoons, a padded seat, aluminum 3 piece frame, 7' 2 pc
> aluminum oars, an anchor system, rod holder, gear bag and motor mount.
>
> It is the hottest pontoon boat on the market this year in it's price
point.

> --
> Bill Kiene
>
> Kiene's Fly Shop
> Sacramento, CA, USA
> www.kiene.com

> www.kiene.com
>

> www.kiene.com
>
> "david ballard" > wrote in message
> > OKAY, It time again to voice your opinions! I have been given the
green
> > light to get me one of those nice pontoon boats, you know, the kind
where
> > you can keep your hind end out of the frigid water. I am looking for
one
> > that has river capabilities, as well as still water. I have been
> searching
> > the internet, looking at Outcast fish 9, Creek company ODC 816, and
> various
> > Water Skeeters. So What does anyone else have, are they happy with it,
> and
> > any other recommendations. Thanks for your advice.
> >
> > David Ballard

---

Frank Reid
December 29th, 2003, 11:03 AM
> Anybody who puts a kick powered pontoon boat on moving water is a total
> ****ing moron. Forget pontoon boats, belly boats, silly little inner-tube
> contraptions and all that other nonsense and get yourself a canoe.

Anybody who makes blanket statements like that is a ****ing moron. Hold it,
I just made one. Then again, Forty blast forth from ignorance once again.
I have the Buck's Bronco. Its a very substantial boat, rated to Class III
water. Its a very stable casting platform with the addition of my custom
made "very stable casting platform." I can stand and cast in still water,
paddle around with my feet, freeing up my arms for casting, or, use the oars
to seriously move out.
The seat is comfortable for long trips, its easy to get in and out of, and
packs down to suitcase size. I like the two oar routine for moving water.
My advice is to see if you can try one out first. By the way, get one with
dual chambered bladders, just in case.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Ken Fortenberry
December 29th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Bill Kiene wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
> I have been thinking about a canoe. What is one of your favorite
> brands/models for 2 anglers for just day trips. I know that many fly fishers
> use them including Chico Fernandez and Flip Pallot.

I really like Wenonah canoes. They make several models suitable for
fishing but two people really have to cooperate well for both of them
to fish from a canoe. My favorite fishing boat is a 16' cedar canoe
built on the lines of the Wenonah Adirondack.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
December 29th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Frank Reid wrote:

> ... oars
>
> ... the two oar routine for moving water.

It's nice to hear that you have both oars in the water, but like
I said, anybody who puts a kick powered ANYTHING on moving water
is a total ****ing moron. And thanks so much for your contribution
on this subject but taking advice from you on water safety is like
taking advice from a blind man on Impressionist painting. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

Scott Seidman
December 29th, 2003, 02:09 PM
"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in news:vv02em7hos8ka1
@corp.supernews.com:

> By the way, get one with
> dual chambered bladders, just in case.

Good advice. I never seem to have enough room in my one-chambered bladder
to make it through a whole day on the water.

Scott

Larry L
December 29th, 2003, 05:59 PM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote

> They looked like a good bet for
> rivers. How well do they row on
> a lake ?

Not quite as well as a pontoon, but then they aren't blown in the wind as
much either, being lower.

I once raced a pontoon guy and beat him rowing across a lake, but he wasn't
much of an oarsman. As a lake craft, I'd rate the WaterMaster "good to very
good" as a river craft "excellent." I own two float tubes, an 8 foot pram
built for FF, and the WaterMaster ... never use anything but the WM.

IMHO, the best thing about it is portability. The entire boat, including
oars and pump, goes in a bag that doubles as a backpack, with enough room
left in the bag for fins and waders. I easily carry one in a Labrador size
"dog box" on my truck. Carrying the bag a couple hundred yards from truck
to water is no problem, and I'm an obese old man. Load rating? 700 pounds!
they helicoper drop guys in NZ and AK with WMs for week long+ float trips.

Air up and break down are very quick ... I once landed just behind a pontoon
guy after fishing Hebgen. I had my boat packed, in it's bag, the bag in
the truck and was ready to drive off, before he got all his tie down crap
organized and the pontoon on his car, ready to tie down, let alone actually
packed. I walked back and offered to help him and much to my surprise, he
exploded in wrath about how "he can do it by himself" ...... guess that
pontoon tie down routine is frustrating <G>

The only other person, here in roffland, I know has a WM is the Kiwi tier/
guide ... can't remember his name .... he mentioned it to me one time

Francis Reid
December 29th, 2003, 06:49 PM
> Good advice. I never seem to have enough room in my one-chambered bladder
> to make it through a whole day on the water.

We don't want to get into the piddle pack thread again, do we?
Frank

Frank Reid
December 29th, 2003, 09:49 PM
>And thanks so much for your contribution
> on this subject but taking advice from you on water safety is like
> taking advice from a blind man on Impressionist painting. ;-)

Or an Illini on football?

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Willi
December 29th, 2003, 11:00 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> david ballard wrote:
>
>> OKAY, It time again to voice your opinions! I have been given the
>> green
>> light to get me one of those nice pontoon boats, you know, the kind where
>> you can keep your hind end out of the frigid water. I am looking for one
>> that has river capabilities, as well as still water. ...
>

> Anybody who puts a kick powered pontoon boat on moving water is a total
> ****ing moron. Forget pontoon boats, belly boats, silly little inner-tube
> contraptions and all that other nonsense and get yourself a canoe.

Canoes are great but they're a pain in the ass to haul around,
especially wooden ones.

Willi

Ken Fortenberry
December 29th, 2003, 11:41 PM
Willi wrote:

> Canoes are great but they're a pain in the ass to haul around,
> especially wooden ones.

The cedar strip canoes of today are NOT your grandfather's cedar canoes.
My 16 footer weighs in at around 62 lbs. Before the invention of modern
day epoxies a canoe like that could weigh up to 100 lbs., depending on
how waterlogged the cedar strips.

As far as being a pain in the ass to carry around, I don't think a 62 lb.
canoe and its paraphenalia is anymore a pain in the ass to transport than
a float tube and all its paraphenalia. You were with me the first, last
and ONLY time I have ever been in a float tube. I know good and well I
could have carried a canoe and a paddle to that lake just as easily as
the tube, pump, fins etc. etc. With a canoe you just attach the paddle
and rod tubes to the thwarts, stuff your vest and lunch under the seat,
toss the whole shebang on your shoulders and go. MUCH easier, in my view,
than ****in' around with a float tube.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Warren
January 3rd, 2004, 01:16 AM
wrote...
> http://www.kickboat.com/
>
> Not a "pontoon" design, but, I love mine.
>
> You won't find a better personal
> craft for rivers, including very rough water, or one more honestly portable.

How would you know? See below.

> bought a pontoon boat first and never got the damn thing
> together the first time before I returned it ... if you have to fight with
> frames and tools and little pieces and then keep it assembled and strapped
> on top your car ... it ain't portable <G>

You never got it together and yet claim it isn't portable? Following
your logic, I've never put together a F-16 so they must suck as well.
I have packed a pontoon boat on my back up to a high mountain lake,
thrown them in the back of a truck, strapped them to vehicles and
never had problems with them being portable. It all depends on your
motivation I guess.....

I would advise against a raft like Larry suggests. I have used one
before and thought a pontoon was much, much better. You sit higher
in a pontoon and can cast more easily, you don't drag as much, you
have more storage, you can maneuver the craft more easily, have more
storage if you get one that has a rear deck, can mount an anchor that
is more functional and so on. There are far more advantages to a
pontoon boat than a raft IMO. While a raft may not blow as much as a
pontoon boat, they sure aren't as easy to control in the wind. I
have rowed rafts, boats, pontoons, used float tubes and one of those
raft contraptions that Larry posted a link for. For a personal
watercraft, a pontoon boat wins IME.

If you want to try one of those rafts, go buy a cheap one person
raft, cut a section out of the floor (assuming that the air chambers
are not connected, which most are not) and give it a shot. You can
make a seat out of some sheets of thick polystyrene to raise you up.
Then borrow or rent a pontoon boat and compare the two. I am sure
you will chuck the raft and go with a pontoon after trying both.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Larry L
January 5th, 2004, 04:56 PM
"Warren" > wrote

> You never got it together and yet claim it isn't portable?

My logic is that I wanted a craft that I could easily carry IN my car,
assemble quickly, and disassemble quickly and put back IN my car. My
search started because I developed a bad case of rotator cuff syndrome from
yanking on dogs and getting my 8ft pram ON my truck was too painful to
accomplish. Getting a pontoon boat ON my truck would have been, too.

When, in on the floor of my shop, I found putting the pontoon together to be
time consuming and frustrating, it was clear that it wasn't the craft to
suit my needs. I have called that need "portability" and I don't think it
is that far off the mark.

Use what you will, and I wouldn't buy any high ticket item on one person's
advice, mine included, but I love my WM, it suits my needs.

tjs
January 5th, 2004, 07:00 PM
A V-boat, or open-ended float tube, is the ticket for me. 5 pounds, no
assembly, just air from arm pump, very portable.

Toney

"Larry L" > wrote in message

> "Warren" > wrote
>

> > You never got it together and yet claim it isn't portable?
>
> My logic is that I wanted a craft that I could easily carry IN my car,
> assemble quickly, and disassemble quickly and put back IN my car. My
> search started because I developed a bad case of rotator cuff syndrome
from
> yanking on dogs and getting my 8ft pram ON my truck was too painful to
> accomplish. Getting a pontoon boat ON my truck would have been, too.
>
> When, in on the floor of my shop, I found putting the pontoon together to
be
> time consuming and frustrating, it was clear that it wasn't the craft to
> suit my needs. I have called that need "portability" and I don't think it
> is that far off the mark.
>
> Use what you will, and I wouldn't buy any high ticket item on one person's
> advice, mine included, but I love my WM, it suits my needs.

Warren
January 6th, 2004, 04:21 AM
wrote...
> My logic is that I wanted a craft that I could easily carry IN my car,
> assemble quickly, and disassemble quickly and put back IN my car.

I could see trying to fit 9' pontoons into a car as being somewhat of
a problem. What was it that caused you problems when trying to get
it into the truck? The weight or trying to handle something that
size given your condition?

My
> search started because I developed a bad case of rotator cuff syndrome from
> yanking on dogs and getting my 8ft pram ON my truck was too painful to
> accomplish. Getting a pontoon boat ON my truck would have been, too.

Pontoons are pretty easy to load in a truck IMO. Take the air out of
the pontoons and put the frame in with the pontoons still attached.
Take out, inflate and go or take out, go and then inflate depending
on the situation. Of course I have only done it about a dozen times
but found that they were quicker and easier than what it takes to put
my drift boat in the water and get everything ready. Pontoons can be
a difficult to carry when hiking into a high mountain lake in my far
too painful experience. I know what to do differently next time
though... A kickboat is probably better in that regard.

> When, in on the floor of my shop, I found putting the pontoon together to be
> time consuming and frustrating, it was clear that it wasn't the craft to
> suit my needs. I have called that need "portability" and I don't think it
> is that far off the mark.

Once you put it together though, do you really need to take the whole
thing apart? Most people I know don't disassemble the frames. Of
course they aren't using a car either......

> Use what you will, and I wouldn't buy any high ticket item on one person's
> advice, mine included, but I love my WM, it suits my needs.

That's why I suggested a comparison. I totally prefer a pontoon over
one of those kickboats. For you the kickboat is better. Who knows
which one the inquirer will like better. <g> It depends on
preferences and usages I guess.