PDA

View Full Version : wet

Larry L
December 29th, 2003, 08:42 PM
It's downright WET here in norcalland, the main reason I'm here at this
silly puterthing, instead of outdoors

How about some reports from areas that have been parched the last few years
? Warren? rw? how is the snow pack looking thus far?

Tom Littleton
December 29th, 2003, 10:02 PM
Geez, Larry, I thought this was another Frank Reid story, by the subject line!!
Been pretty wet here in the East for quite a few months, for what that is
worth, as well.
Tom

John Hightower
December 29th, 2003, 10:36 PM
"Larry L" > wrote in message
> It's downright WET here in norcalland, the main reason I'm here at this
> silly puterthing, instead of outdoors
>
> How about some reports from areas that have been parched the last few
years
> ? Warren? rw? how is the snow pack looking thus far?

ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/data/snow/update/mt.txt

According to this site we are at 90-110% of normal in the west- running
about 90 % in the Missouri headwater areas and related basins. and 77% in
the Wind River area. It would be interesting to compare "current" to
"annual total reqt's" and see how the snow pack does integrated over the
season.

I know the eastern part of the state has had low moisture for a long enough
time that its going to take a few years at or above normal moisture to
recover.

Its snowing right now in Missoula- and I heard a report of over a foot in
Bozeman expected.

looking good so far- keep your toes crossed :-)

jh

Frank Reid
December 30th, 2003, 01:01 AM
> Geez, Larry, I thought this was another Frank Reid story, by the subject
line!!
> Been pretty wet here in the East for quite a few months, for what that is
> worth, as well.
> Tom

Just for that, I'm selling your Slate Drake pattern to the highest bidder
and your quick-tie stone fly to the lowest... :-)

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Tom Littleton
December 30th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Frank threatens with:
>Just for that, I'm selling your Slate Drake pattern to the highest bidder
>and your quick-tie stone fly to the lowest... :-)

well, the latter is over on ROFFT for free, so they can't top that price. The
slate drake....now, that is another matter.
Tom

Joe McIntosh
December 30th, 2003, 04:08 PM
"John Hightower" > wrote in message

IJ asks--John now that the weather keeps you off the water how about
sharing your knowledge of the life of a big brown in Rock Creek.
How old is he? When and how far does he travel ? [and why] -how is he
affected by the seasons-

I have enjoyed reading several books about fish--McPhee's The Founding
Fish--The Biography of the Cod Fish--The Moon pulled Up an Acre of Bass----
but find I know very little about our trout prey.

Perhaps Walt will share some of his knowledge of the life cycle of a wild
rainbow--think many of the guys would enjoy that read.

I am working on a non technical article about the life of a hatchery raised
rainbow. He was raised in the N>C> State hatchery in Bevard and released
in the main stream Of
south Mountain Park in N.C. along with a bunch of his friends. Now he is
getting hungry!!

Frank Church
December 30th, 2003, 04:39 PM
"Joe McIntosh" > wrote in
:
> I have enjoyed reading several books about fish--McPhee's The Founding
> Fish--The Biography of the Cod Fish--The Moon pulled Up an Acre of
> Bass

FC sez, I have read many of John McPhee's books..(he can make anything
interesting) but I don't see The Biography of the Cod Fish or
The Moon pulled Up an Acre of Bass in his list of books. Who is the author
(s) of these two? TIA

Frank Church

rb608
December 30th, 2003, 04:46 PM
"Frank Church" > wrote in message
> FC sez, I have read many of John McPhee's books..(he can make anything
> interesting) but I don't see The Biography of the Cod Fish or
> The Moon pulled Up an Acre of Bass in his list of books. Who is the author
> (s) of these two? TIA

The latter is by John Kaminsky. I haven't yet read it, but the title alone
makes me want to check it out.

Joe F.

Warren
January 1st, 2004, 05:37 AM
wrote...
> It's downright WET here in norcalland, the main reason I'm here at this
> silly puterthing, instead of outdoors
>
> How about some reports from areas that have been parched the last few years
> ? Warren? rw? how is the snow pack looking thus far?

Well, the ski lodge just down the road got over 100" of snow in the
last few days. Thankfully I was gone with my daughter while the Evil
Empire was snowed in for two days. <g> Forecast for tonight is up to
2' of new snow in the mountains and 6" in the valleys. Here's a pic
of what I came home to and have been doing all day. Blizzard
warnings for parts of the state and other warnings out for other
parts. Should be cool.

http://home.earthlink.net/~troutbum_mt/12-31-03a.jpg

This is more snow than we had on the ground at any given time during
last winter. Nice to see thigns getting back to something more
"normal".

Since it is the new year on the other side of the US, I hereby
announce my desire to be in the fly swap. Dunno if I will be able to
type when I get back tomorrow morning.....

Now it is time to hit the road and go find a wife for the night after
celebrating the start of a new year. Happy New Year's to everybody
and may you all be safe.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Jeff Miller
January 1st, 2004, 01:32 PM
Warren wrote:

> Now it is time to hit the road and go find *a wife for the night* after
> celebrating the start of a new year.

well now, that's something guaranteed to cheer a minister and a divorce
lawyer in the new year... <g>

temps are gonna be in the 70s in eastern nc ... keep those snowy
pictures coming - esp. if you're doing any winter fishing. i miss rw's
offerings...did he break his camera, or has he foresaken digital?

jeff

Warren
January 1st, 2004, 03:00 PM
wrote...
> > Now it is time to hit the road and go find *a wife for the night* after=
=20
> > celebrating the start of a new year.
>
> well now, that's something guaranteed to cheer a minister and a divorce=
=20
> lawyer in the new year... <g>

I was "cheered" this morning. <bseg>
=20
> temps are gonna be in the 70s in eastern nc ... keep those snowy=20
> pictures coming - esp. if you're doing any winter fishing. i miss rw's=
=20
> offerings...did he break his camera, or has he foresaken digital?

We got a little bit of snow last night, but not enough to be picture=20
worthy. It was like a rogue cloud dumping small flakes over a small=20
area and passed rather quickly. Temps are currently 22=B0F and the=20
skies are cloudy. There is more snow coming and I should have more=20
pics in the next day or two. Temps are supposed to drop below zero=20
by the weekend with yet more snow predicted. ****ing OUTSTANDING!!!! =20
I just may have to go fishing today. Probably won't catch anything=20
but ice in the guides, but it will be nice to get out during a real=20
day off.

I haven't been able to get ahold of RW yet. He was going to leave=20
Californica the day after Xmas and was supposed to be going up to=20
He'stheho but there were several storms that he had to negotiate=20
along the way. I doubt it is an easy drive with current conditions=20
the way they are.

BTW, did I mention I was in the "Quake a Robles" area during my short=20
stay in CA? I missed the Govenator by a day. :-(
--=20
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Stephen Barnard
January 1st, 2004, 03:13 PM
Larry L wrote:
> It's downright WET here in norcalland, the main reason I'm here at this
> silly puterthing, instead of outdoors
>
> How about some reports from areas that have been parched the last few years
> ? Warren? rw? how is the snow pack looking thus far?

It's looking great here. If we don't get any more snow this winter it
would still be a decent year.

rw
January 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM
Warren wrote:

> I haven't been able to get ahold of RW yet. He was going to leave
> Californica the day after Xmas and was supposed to be going up to
> He'stheho but there were several storms that he had to negotiate
> along the way. I doubt it is an easy drive with current conditions
> the way they are.

I made it, but I'm getting damn tired of shoveling snow. If we get no
more snow the rest of the winter it would still be a decent snowpack.

Larry L
January 1st, 2004, 06:18 PM
my backyard is flooded this morning worse than I've seen it in years ..and
yuk it is still very NASTY out there

if your weather comes to you via NorCal ... brace yourself

Frank Reid
January 1st, 2004, 06:51 PM
> It's looking great here. If we don't get any more snow this winter it
> would still be a decent year.

Well, we set a record here at Baltimore Washington International. Rainiest
year on record. Temp is gonna be in the high sixties on Saturday.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

rw
January 1st, 2004, 10:13 PM
Larry L wrote:
> my backyard is flooded this morning worse than I've seen it in years ..and
> yuk it is still very NASTY out there
>
> if your weather comes to you via NorCal ... brace yourself

I haven't been able to leave my cabin since about 9am. We're having the
strongest winter storm I've ever seen here, and we have some doozies.
Now you're saying it's going to get worse! :-)

Warren
January 2nd, 2004, 01:47 AM
wrote...
> I haven't been able to leave my cabin since about 9am. We're having the
> strongest winter storm I've ever seen here, and we have some doozies.
> Now you're saying it's going to get worse! :-)

Please feel free to send the storms our way. I want enough so that I
can enter/exit from the second story window.