PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security and Travel Rods

Robert Brinson
December 30th, 2003, 04:40 PM
I'm planning on taking a trip in '04 to do some fly fishing, and I was
wanting to get a good 4 pc. rod for that and future trips. However,
with airport security being what it is these days, I did not know if
it is permissible to carry-on your fly rod. I would not want to have
to check it, as it would be too expensive an item to just get lost in
the luggage abyss. Has anyone had experience this year with fly rods,
reels, and other fly fishing gear as carry-ons and airport security?
Are policies consistent from airport to airport, or are they hit and
miss? Thanks for any help.

Robert Brinson

Dave LaCourse
December 30th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Robert Brinson writes:

<snippage>

>Has anyone had experience this year with fly rods,
>reels, and other fly fishing gear as carry-ons and airport security?
>Are policies consistent from airport to airport, or are they hit and
>miss? Thanks for any help.

I flew from Boston to Billings this year and Boston to Bozeman last year and
experienced no problems with carrying my three piece Winston aboard. I also
had reels packed in my carry-on. Flies are another thing. Don't try to get
through security with them

With intermediate stops at Minniapolis one year and Cincinnati the next, I
observed lots of fly fishermen with carry-on roads, some even with two piece
(long tubes).

Of course, ymmv.

Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Dave Martel
December 30th, 2003, 07:23 PM
My experience mirrors Daves. I must look like some kind of terrorist,
though, because I was *not* allowed any rods on; even my reels were
scrutinized way above and beyond the normal (if such a thing even exists
today). I was almost made to strip off all lines--even the backing. Another
Pilot came over--recognized the fly equipment--and told the screeners to let
me through.

I'm flying to Bozeman this coming summer--and FedExing most of my
equipment out ahead of time. A pain in the ass? You bet--but not as much of
a PITA as stripping all my reels. As did Dave L.; even though I wasn't
allowed any rods (all 3; and 4 piece travel, by the way) on to the planes I
traveled on; I saw *plenty* of guys carrying on rods--even 2 piecers. So to
answer your question: NO, there is *no* standardization of rules between
airports. Portland (ME.) and Logan (Boston) seem to be the worst, in my
experience. Bozeman and Salt Lake seem to be the easiest, again, my
experiences only. As always, YMMV. Good luck.

Dave M
"Robert Brinson" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm planning on taking a trip in '04 to do some fly fishing, and I was
> wanting to get a good 4 pc. rod for that and future trips. However,
> with airport security being what it is these days, I did not know if
> it is permissible to carry-on your fly rod. I would not want to have
> to check it, as it would be too expensive an item to just get lost in
> the luggage abyss. Has anyone had experience this year with fly rods,
> reels, and other fly fishing gear as carry-ons and airport security?
> Are policies consistent from airport to airport, or are they hit and
> miss? Thanks for any help.
>
> Robert Brinson

Dave LaCourse
December 30th, 2003, 07:30 PM
Dave Martel writes:

> NO, there is *no* standardization of rules between
>airports. Portland (ME.) and Logan (Boston) seem to be the worst, in my
>experience. Bozeman and Salt Lake seem to be the easiest, again, my
>experiences only. As always, YMMV. Good luck.
>
> Dave M

Any western terminal would be easiest because they see so many folks traveling
there to fish. Logan is strict - I had trouble getting my fly tying equipment
aboard - *before* 9/11, but they made me empty a flask of 18 year old single
malt and said nothing of the weapon looking rod case I was carrying.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Thomas Gnauck
December 30th, 2003, 08:02 PM
I try and fish internationally a couple of times a year here is this year
report:
Bozeman to Mexico: Rod, reel and flies to 1/0 no problem
Mexico to Bozeman: Rod & reel- no problem Flies no go for me, my two buddies
on the other hand walked right through
luckily a guy at Alaskan gave me a box to check them.

Bozeman to Honduras: Checked the flies and reels, carried on the rods (3
pc)- Taca looses luggage for 2 days- sucks to be me-forced to drink and
watch permit for 2 days (there are worse things)
Honduras to Bozeman: Checked the flies and reels , carried the rods, forgot
a box of flies $100+ in my carry-on fanny pack- ended up forced to chuck
$100+ flies in the San Pedro Sula trash

Bozeman to Mexico: Checked Flies, carried on Rod & reel, security found one
loose 2/0 clouser in one rod tube- strip searched for more- not happy,
buddies think its funny
Mexico to Bozeman: Checked all but rods- no problem- happy but only because
of trip insurance

The bottom line- I wouldn't try and carry on anything that even resembles a
fish hook.
The irony- Would you rather have a terrorist with a No. 14 Hopper after you
or the guy with the butt section of a 12 wt.?
I suspect it won't be long before rods can't be carried on.

¡Buenas Suerte!

t.

"Dave Martel" > wrote in message
t...
> My experience mirrors Daves. I must look like some kind of terrorist,
> though, because I was *not* allowed any rods on; even my reels were
> scrutinized way above and beyond the normal (if such a thing even exists
> today). I was almost made to strip off all lines--even the backing.
Another
> Pilot came over--recognized the fly equipment--and told the screeners to
let
> me through.
>
> I'm flying to Bozeman this coming summer--and FedExing most of my
> equipment out ahead of time. A pain in the ass? You bet--but not as much
of
> a PITA as stripping all my reels. As did Dave L.; even though I wasn't
> allowed any rods (all 3; and 4 piece travel, by the way) on to the planes
> traveled on; I saw *plenty* of guys carrying on rods--even 2 piecers. So
> answer your question: NO, there is *no* standardization of rules between
> airports. Portland (ME.) and Logan (Boston) seem to be the worst, in my
> experience. Bozeman and Salt Lake seem to be the easiest, again, my
> experiences only. As always, YMMV. Good luck.
>
> Dave M
> "Robert Brinson" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I'm planning on taking a trip in '04 to do some fly fishing, and I was
> > wanting to get a good 4 pc. rod for that and future trips. However,
> > with airport security being what it is these days, I did not know if
> > it is permissible to carry-on your fly rod. I would not want to have
> > to check it, as it would be too expensive an item to just get lost in
> > the luggage abyss. Has anyone had experience this year with fly rods,
> > reels, and other fly fishing gear as carry-ons and airport security?
> > Are policies consistent from airport to airport, or are they hit and
> > miss? Thanks for any help.
> >
> > Robert Brinson

daytripper
December 30th, 2003, 10:31 PM
On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:02:08 -0700, "Thomas Gnauck" > wrote:
[snippered]
>The bottom line- I wouldn't try and carry on anything that even resembles a
>fish hook.
>The irony- Would you rather have a terrorist with a No. 14 Hopper after you
>or the guy with the butt section of a 12 wt.?
>I suspect it won't be long before rods can't be carried on.

Well, yeah! You could put someone's eye out with one of those ;-)

/daytripper (god forbid they figure out a broken butt end would be much worse)

asadi
December 30th, 2003, 10:56 PM
How would ya feel just traveling with a couple of doobies and no
equipment?...

gotta visit ma - and ma don't share...

john

"Robert Brinson" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm planning on taking a trip in '04 to do some fly fishing, and I was
> wanting to get a good 4 pc. rod for that and future trips. However,
> with airport security being what it is these days, I did not know if
> it is permissible to carry-on your fly rod. I would not want to have
> to check it, as it would be too expensive an item to just get lost in
> the luggage abyss. Has anyone had experience this year with fly rods,
> reels, and other fly fishing gear as carry-ons and airport security?
> Are policies consistent from airport to airport, or are they hit and
> miss? Thanks for any help.
>
> Robert Brinson

Sierra fisher
December 30th, 2003, 11:38 PM
I have a seven piece Redington Wayfarer, and I have been able to pack
everything I need to start fishing in my carryon ...except for flies...and
have been able to get it through customs everywhere except Vancouver. They
objected to the lines, leaders and tippet

Re carrying rods. If the package is small, you have a very good chance of
getting it on board. If you have a Sage rod case that holds 5 or 6 rods,
the chance is less. the stewardesses have a bigger problem with it than
security.

Also, remember that most household insurance does not cover lost luggage,
only stolen luggage...and they decide the difference. The best way to get
insurance for lost luggage is to get a credit card that will give you up to
$3000 of insurance if you pay for your tickets with the card. ATT cards
have this insurance. Citibank offers it on a few types. Most cards issued
in Canada and Europe have it.

"Robert Brinson" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm planning on taking a trip in '04 to do some fly fishing, and I was
> wanting to get a good 4 pc. rod for that and future trips. However,
> with airport security being what it is these days, I did not know if
> it is permissible to carry-on your fly rod. I would not want to have
> to check it, as it would be too expensive an item to just get lost in
> the luggage abyss. Has anyone had experience this year with fly rods,
> reels, and other fly fishing gear as carry-ons and airport security?
> Are policies consistent from airport to airport, or are they hit and
> miss? Thanks for any help.
>
> Robert Brinson

---

kyle - mr rapidan
December 31st, 2003, 12:06 AM
Philly to Denver to Missoula this September, I packed my Winston 5 piece
6'9" w/aluminum tube *and* my little chest pack (which contains reels,
tippet, flies, fisherman's friend clippers, etc.) in my carryon. No
troubles. Although they did make me drink water out of my nalgene and take
my boots off.

Robert Brinson
December 31st, 2003, 01:53 AM
Thank you to everyone for providing your (humorous) airport stories. :-)

--
Robert Brinson
Linux - the choice of a GNU generation!

LRBtrout
December 31st, 2003, 02:52 AM
> Has anyone had experience this year with fly rods,
>reels, and other fly fishing gear as carry-ons and airport security?
>Are policies consistent from airport to airport, or are they hit and
>miss? Thanks for any help.

I took my pack rod as a carry-on during a trip this summer from Buffalo to
Newark to Asheville, NC to fish the mountains and had no problem. They did
open the tube at each check-in to examine it, but otherwise no problems.

Sierra fisher
December 31st, 2003, 02:22 PM
Whether they're on the list or not, large flies for sal****er fishing are
considered possible weapons. I know a lot people who were told to check
them or toss them. I have heard of only one person that got some small
trout flies through. If you want to try to carry them on board, you had
better allow enough time to go back to the check-in counter or be prepared
to toss them. The security people don't lose arguements.

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_12_18_2003.pdf

> Some airports also have many different security points leading to the
> same secured area, which will give you many retries should you
> encounter the wrong guy.

---

DW Dawg
December 31st, 2003, 05:26 PM
I've been advised by airline industry people to pack my lines and flies.

USUALLY, no problem with reels (sans lines) or travel rods.

DW

Mike Makela
December 31st, 2003, 07:00 PM
If you must bring it on the plane, I suggest just checking all fly fishing
equipment, just make sure to insure all of it, which seems to keep it safe
and sound.

I would also recommend shipping it ahead of time to avoid the hassle all
together, if you have somewhere to ship it to (a hotel, or guide usually
would not object). At one of our Penns Creek Claves someone's rods (three
of them tied together) came up missing and he had to wait a few days for
them to find and deliver them, so definitely insure them (I don't believe he
did).

If you can ship it far enough ahead of time you can even check to make sure
it arrives O.K. before you leave and bring anything you forgot on the plane.
It may cost a bit extra, but you'll have peace of mind. You'll still have
to worry about your standard luggage, but it's also a lot less to bring back
and forth from the airport.

The Finn

"Robert Brinson" > wrote in message
om...
> I'm planning on taking a trip in '04 to do some fly fishing, and I was
> wanting to get a good 4 pc. rod for that and future trips. However,
> with airport security being what it is these days, I did not know if
> it is permissible to carry-on your fly rod. I would not want to have
> to check it, as it would be too expensive an item to just get lost in
> the luggage abyss. Has anyone had experience this year with fly rods,
> reels, and other fly fishing gear as carry-ons and airport security?
> Are policies consistent from airport to airport, or are they hit and
> miss? Thanks for any help.
>
> Robert Brinson

Mike Makela
December 31st, 2003, 07:09 PM
"Mike Makela" <ten.tsacmoc@alekamm> wrote:

> I would also recommend shipping it ahead of time to avoid the hassle all
> together, if you have somewhere to ship it to (a hotel, or guide usually
> would not object). At one of our Penns Creek Claves someone's rods (three
> of them tied together) came up missing and he had to wait a few days for
> them to find and deliver them, so definitely insure them (I don't believe
he
> did).

Just to clarify the three rods were misplaced on the plane, not during
shipping.

Mike Makela
December 31st, 2003, 07:52 PM
The key is insuring it for a hefty sum. They must hand it off with sign-off
as it travels. If you are still hesitant at doing this, ship it separately.

I would more paranoid about smaller items that you leave in your luggage
that you check such as reels, flies, etc. They can be stolen quite easily.
I think the main problem is just that, items getting stolen. Several items
have been stolen from close family and friends since 9/11, because there is
increased access to our luggage, and smaller items can be pocketed. I pack
all valuables separately and insure them.

"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 13:33:26 -0600, Christian Figenschou
> > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 14:00:07 -0500, "Mike Makela"
> ><ten.tsacmoc@alekamm> wrote:
> >
> >>If you must bring it on the plane, I suggest just checking all fly
fishing
> >>equipment, just make sure to insure all of it, which seems to keep it
safe
> >>and sound.
> >
> >Strange piece of advice, I must say..
>
> It works for me: I've never actually lost
> luggage tho I've had it delivered late on
> two occasions. My guess is that I have
> checked luggage about 300 times.

Francis Reid
December 31st, 2003, 08:25 PM
> The key is insuring it for a hefty sum. They must hand it off with sign-off
> as it travels. If you are still hesitant at doing this, ship it separately.

I was at Marriots Fly shop in California a couple of years ago when a
guy came in with a multi-thousand dollar check from the airlines. He'd
insured and they'd lost six fly rods, with all of his accompanying
tackle (flies, reels...). He got a "personal shopper" to help him spend
his bucks. Talk about your kid in a candy shop.
Frank Reid

Mike Makela
December 31st, 2003, 09:04 PM
I'd hate to have to replace all of the gear, but a "personal shopper" and
thousands of dollars would be a good start.

Can't hurt to insure everything for more then they are worth to help reduce
the pain..

"Francis Reid" > wrote in message
> > The key is insuring it for a hefty sum. They must hand it off with
sign-off
> > as it travels. If you are still hesitant at doing this, ship it
separately.

> I was at Marriots Fly shop in California a couple of years ago when a
> guy came in with a multi-thousand dollar check from the airlines. He'd
> insured and they'd lost six fly rods, with all of his accompanying
> tackle (flies, reels...). He got a "personal shopper" to help him spend
> his bucks. Talk about your kid in a candy shop.
> Frank Reid

Mike Makela
December 31st, 2003, 09:09 PM
I'd hate to have to replace all of the gear, but a "personal shopper" and
thousands of dollars would be a good start.

Can't hurt to insure everything for more then they are worth to help reduce
the pain..

"Francis Reid" > wrote in message
> > The key is insuring it for a hefty sum. They must hand it off with
sign-off
> > as it travels. If you are still hesitant at doing this, ship it
separately.

> I was at Marriots Fly shop in California a couple of years ago when a
> guy came in with a multi-thousand dollar check from the airlines. He'd
> insured and they'd lost six fly rods, with all of his accompanying
> tackle (flies, reels...). He got a "personal shopper" to help him spend
> his bucks. Talk about your kid in a candy shop.
> Frank Reid

Mike Makela
December 31st, 2003, 09:18 PM
"Christian Figenschou" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:46:58 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
> wrote:
>
> > It works for me: I've never actually lost
> > luggage tho I've had it delivered late on
> > two occasions. My guess is that I have
> > checked luggage about 300 times.
>
> But you would surely agree that the chances of it getting lost or
> being delayed are dramatically bigger when checked compared to lugging
> it on-board yourself?

Sure if you can get it on board, get through the security checks without
being strip searched, and not miss your flight.

F.Y.I. - I usually travel with a large aresenal of rods for a big trip, and
not all are travel rods. I've had to find the best way to get them there by
checking them. Shipping them is safer then checking them, but checking
them (w/insurance) is cheaper.

Mike Makela
December 31st, 2003, 09:24 PM
"Christian Figenschou" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:46:58 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
> wrote:
>
> > It works for me: I've never actually lost
> > luggage tho I've had it delivered late on
> > two occasions. My guess is that I have
> > checked luggage about 300 times.
>
> But you would surely agree that the chances of it getting lost or
> being delayed are dramatically bigger when checked compared to lugging
> it on-board yourself?

Sure if you can get it on board, get through the security checks without
being strip searched, and not miss your flight.

F.Y.I. - I usually travel with a large aresenal of rods for a big trip, and
not all are travel rods. I've had to find the best way to get them there by
checking them. Shipping them is safer then checking them, but checking
them (w/insurance) is cheaper.

Mike Makela
December 31st, 2003, 09:24 PM
"Christian Figenschou" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:46:58 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
> wrote:
>
> > It works for me: I've never actually lost
> > luggage tho I've had it delivered late on
> > two occasions. My guess is that I have
> > checked luggage about 300 times.
>
> But you would surely agree that the chances of it getting lost or
> being delayed are dramatically bigger when checked compared to lugging
> it on-board yourself?

Sure if you can get it on board, get through the security checks without
being strip searched, and not miss your flight.

F.Y.I. - I usually travel with a large aresenal of rods for a big trip, and
not all are travel rods. I've had to find the best way to get them there by
checking them. Shipping them is safer then checking them, but checking
them (w/insurance) is cheaper.

Scott Seidman
December 31st, 2003, 09:27 PM
Christian Figenschou > wrote in
:

> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:46:58 GMT, (Greg Pavlov)
> wrote:
>
>> It works for me: I've never actually lost
>> luggage tho I've had it delivered late on
>> two occasions. My guess is that I have
>> checked luggage about 300 times.
>
> But you would surely agree that the chances of it getting lost or
> being delayed are dramatically bigger when checked compared to lugging
> it on-board yourself?

Actually, you're talking about Greg here!

The less time he spends handling the rod, the longer it lasts :-)

Scott

Wayne Knight
January 1st, 2004, 02:34 AM
"Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message

> How could they make you drink water ?

In the early days of the post 9/11 histeria and witchhunt, there was a well
reported incident where the, ahem, security folks made a young mother drink
her child's breast milk.

Marshall Krasser
January 1st, 2004, 03:31 AM
When I went to Sun Valley last fall. I printed out all of the below documentation
and carried the TSA's number 1-866-289-9673. I was told by one of their
agents, "If you have a problem carrying it on, just give us a call and we will
talk to the screener".

The below info is from:
http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1188.xml

Fishing Rods / Poles - Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked
baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within
their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as
to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Tackle Equipment - fishing equipment, including small hooks, should be placed
in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and
dangerous.

Complete listing below:
http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_12_18_2003.pdf

-Marshall

--
NOTE: Please remove "MY_WADERS" from my return Email address
if you wish to reply directly. Thanks, M

Mike Makela
January 1st, 2004, 03:57 AM
I know there was a sign-off process pre 9/11 on American Airlines, and am
assuming that process still is in affect where sign-offs are required where
the insured baggage exchanges hands (that could be a bad assumption. I'm
sure some of the processes must have changed though. They may not be as
concerned with the chain of custody, as they are with what is in the
baggage. That's a good question for the Airline/s you use. There could
definitely be a drop in service if discount airlines are used. I really
don't use insurance for the money reimbursement aspect, just to ensure
better handling, although Frank's shopping spree story was intriguing.

In the past, when you went to baggage claim, you had to pick up insured
packages from handlers. Not sure that is still in affect but asking the
airline should do it for you..

I'm not really a rod and reel whore...at least not until recently. The most
rods I have taken on a trip were 4 when I went to Alaska, but none of those
were travel rods and that was the source of my first panic driven inquiry
with the airlines as to how to ensure they would not be lost.

The Finn

"Christian Figenschou" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:24:12 -0500, "Mike Makela"
> <ten.tsacmoc@alekamm> wrote:
>
> >F.Y.I. - I usually travel with a large aresenal of rods for a big trip,
and
> >not all are travel rods. I've had to find the best way to get them there
by
> >checking them. Shipping them is safer then checking them, but checking
> >them (w/insurance) is cheaper.
>
> For obvious reasons I always try to make sure I have at least one set
> of gear on-board, one rod, one reel, a box of flies + other vital
> accessories. But then again, the most rods I've ever brought on a trip
> involving air-travel is three (yes, I know I am a pathetic loser..)
>
> The insurance aspect is interesting. However, equally important is
> whether it is treated differently by the airline or not. Do you know?
> Is there a coverage threshold that triggers special attention? If they
> simply take their chances and are prepared to pay some extra $$$ if
> they lose it, it doesn't really improve the odds of getting it there
> on time. I'm also sure many credit cards would automatically provide
> coverage beyond the airlines' standard liability.

Sierra fisher
January 1st, 2004, 04:00 AM
They do take nail files away from you, and I would expect them to take
corkscrew and nitting needles too. I've lost two pair of finger nail
clippers with a one inch file attached!! Remember we are not discussing
what is reasonable. We are talking abut a bunch of minimum wage earners who
are now bearuocrats (sp?). What you might think is reasonable, and what we
may agree is not a weapon doesn't count!! We don't have the badge nor the
job.

I have not lost any flies, because I have not tried to carry then in my
carry-on luggage. I can learn by others mistakes.

"Christian Figenschou" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 06:22:46 -0800, "Sierra fisher"
> > wrote:
>
> >Whether they're on the list or not, large flies for sal****er fishing are
> >considered possible weapons. I know a lot people who were told to check
> >them or toss them.
>
> Well, since I have gone through with large sal****er hooks, even had
> them inspected twice, let's agree on they _might_ be considered
> possible weapons by certain TSA people. By large I mean 3-4 inches
> hook length, I see no reason why standard size (4-10) should be
> considered any more dangerous as a weapon than permitted items such as
> knitting needles, cork screws and nail files.
>
> And never have I had my hooks examined due to seeing them on x-ray,
> the search has always been warranted by spotting forceps and scissors.
>
> Do you by any chance jump up and down, yelling "I got hooks.. Big
> hooks, I tell ya!"? ;-) Which airports? How many experiences?

---

Sierra fisher
January 1st, 2004, 04:06 AM
The next time you go through Security with some fishing gear, and they tell
you that you cannot carry it on, are you going to bring up this web page?

Unfortunately, you're going to lose the argument!!

"Marshall Krasser" > wrote in message
> When I went to Sun Valley last fall. I printed out all of the below
documentation
> and carried the TSA's number 1-866-289-9673. I was told by one of their
> agents, "If you have a problem carrying it on, just give us a call and we
will
> talk to the screener".
>
> The below info is from:
> http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1188.xml
>
> Fishing Rods / Poles - Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked
> baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it
fits within
> their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's
decision as
> to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.
>
> Tackle Equipment - fishing equipment, including small hooks, should be
placed
> in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and
> dangerous.
>
> Complete listing below:

http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/Permitted_Prohibited_12_18_2003.pdf

> -Marshall
>

> --
> NOTE: Please remove "MY_WADERS" from my return Email address
> if you wish to reply directly. Thanks, M

---

Wayne Knight
January 1st, 2004, 04:56 AM
"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message

> "Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
> >
> > How could they make you drink water ?
>
> In the early days of the post 9/11 histeria and witchhunt, there was a
well
> reported incident where the, ahem, security folks made a young mother
drink
> her child's breast milk.

That should read made a young mother drink breast milk she had saved for her
child.

Wayne Knight
January 1st, 2004, 05:05 AM
"Sierra fisher" > wrote in message
> The next time you go through Security with some fishing gear, and they
tell
> you that you cannot carry it on, are you going to bring up this web page?
>
> Unfortunately, you're going to lose the argument!!

Not if you are professional, firm, and courteous.

Been there done it

daytripper
January 1st, 2004, 05:06 AM
On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 23:56:02 -0500, "Wayne Knight" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Knight" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Greg Pavlov" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > How could they make you drink water ?
>>
>> In the early days of the post 9/11 histeria and witchhunt, there was a
>well
>> reported incident where the, ahem, security folks made a young mother
>drink
>> her child's breast milk.
>>

>That should read made a young mother drink breast milk she had saved for her
>child.

Yes, I was gonna make a crack about a whole lot of frustrated people, but I
didn't ;-)

/daytripper (that would have been so...wrong ;-)

Warren
January 1st, 2004, 05:44 AM
wrote...
> I'm planning on taking a trip in '04 to do some fly fishing, and I was
> wanting to get a good 4 pc. rod for that and future trips. However,
> with airport security being what it is these days, I did not know if
> it is permissible to carry-on your fly rod. I would not want to have
> to check it, as it would be too expensive an item to just get lost in
> the luggage abyss. Has anyone had experience this year with fly rods,
> reels, and other fly fishing gear as carry-ons and airport security?
> Are policies consistent from airport to airport, or are they hit and
> miss? Thanks for any help.

I just flew on Delta from Bozeman, Mt to Santa Barbara, CA. I was
able to take a 2 piece rod tube with me as carry on. I actually
tried to check it but was told to just carry it on. I had absolutely
no problems at all with carrying it on this time. Probably be
totally different next time judging from what I have heard from
others......
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Sierra fisher
January 2nd, 2004, 02:32 AM
I could care less if you carry your fles on. I just hope that you have the
balls to tell this group what happens the next time you try it.

"Christian Figenschou" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 20:00:30 -0800, "Sierra fisher"
> > wrote:
>
> >They do take nail files away from you, and I would expect them to take
> >corkscrew and nitting needles too.
> [...]
> >I have not lost any flies, because I have not tried to carry then in my
> >carry-on luggage. I can learn by others mistakes.
>
> Well, I hope you don't mind if the rest of us continue bringing such
> items through security without incidents. I think your description of
> airport security is dated, based on pre-TSA, pre-specific permitted
> items lists, and definitely pre consistency and attitude improvements
> throughout 2003.

---

Mike Makela
January 4th, 2004, 04:14 AM
I have in the past, check with your airline though, the rules are changing
these days.

Let me know what you find out,