PDA

View Full Version : First Fish of the Year

Willi
January 3rd, 2004, 02:48 AM
With the kennel being closed to customers on New Year's Day, and the
temps in the fifties, I got out for a couple of hours.

First headed up into the canyon. The river seemed lonely but was choked
in ice.

I headed downstream to a section of river on the plains. Low and clear,
but pretty much open. Fished for about a half hour, caught a colorful
fish on a tiny midge larva and went back to work.

http://www.crystalglen.net/Fishing/010104.htm

Nice to get out.

Willi

Warren
January 3rd, 2004, 03:06 AM
wrote...
> With the kennel being closed to customers on New Year's Day, and the
> temps in the fifties, I got out for a couple of hours.
>
> First headed up into the canyon. The river seemed lonely but was choked
> in ice.
>
> I headed downstream to a section of river on the plains. Low and clear,
> but pretty much open. Fished for about a half hour, caught a colorful
> fish on a tiny midge larva and went back to work.
>
> http://www.crystalglen.net/Fishing/010104.htm
>
> Nice to get out.

Very cool pics Willi. Is that the river below the fish hatchery and
old log cabin? It looked somewhat familiar to an area I fished a
couple of years ago with my cousin that lives in your neck of the
woods.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Frank Reid
January 3rd, 2004, 03:08 AM
> I headed downstream to a section of river on the plains. Low and clear,
> but pretty much open. Fished for about a half hour, caught a colorful
> fish on a tiny midge larva and went back to work.
>
> http://www.crystalglen.net/Fishing/010104.htm
>
> Nice to get out.

And nice of you to share. Absolutely beautiful.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

rb608
January 3rd, 2004, 03:53 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message
> With the kennel being closed to customers on New Year's Day, and the
> temps in the fifties, I got out for a couple of hours.

Cool. Santa having rewarded my offspring with new bicycles this year, I
found myself biking along the NCR trail just a few days ago. It's an old RR
bed converted to a hike/bike trail that runs alongside the Gunpowder River,
one of the better trout waters here in MD. The weather was warm, and I had
many occasion to stop and watch the waters. No rises, and I am incapable of
seeing trout, but I did find some nice spots I'd not known previously. No
rod & no fishing, but some good mental notes for later.

Joe F.

-- Rob
January 3rd, 2004, 04:13 AM
thanks for sharing. very nice pics.

no fish for the new year yet, but I have been exploring for some holdovers in a
heavily hit, but pretty, local stockie stream.
-- so much fishing, so little time --
--please remuv the 'NOWAY2it' from my email addy to email me--

Lennie Richardson
January 3rd, 2004, 04:54 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message
> With the kennel being closed to customers on New Year's Day, and the
> temps in the fifties, I got out for a couple of hours.
>
> First headed up into the canyon. The river seemed lonely but was choked
> in ice.
>
> I headed downstream to a section of river on the plains. Low and clear,
> but pretty much open. Fished for about a half hour, caught a colorful
> fish on a tiny midge larva and went back to work.
>
> http://www.crystalglen.net/Fishing/010104.htm
>
> Nice to get out.
>
> Willi

Great pix. The colors of that fish are brilliant. Beautiful.

Bill Mason
January 3rd, 2004, 04:59 AM
"Willi" > wrote in message
> With the kennel being closed to customers on New Year's Day, and the
> temps in the fifties, I got out for a couple of hours.

Nice pictures, indeed, and a very pretty fish. I was just crying about
fishing in the rain tomorrow, but your ice shots helped put things into
their proper perspective! Thanks for the post.

Cheers,
Bill

Charlie Choc
January 3rd, 2004, 11:16 AM
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:48:14 -0700, Willi > wrote:

>http://www.crystalglen.net/Fishing/010104.htm
>
>Nice to get out.

Nice Pics Willi.
--
Charlie...

Wayne Harrison
January 3rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
"Willi" > wrote >
http://www.crystalglen.net/Fishing/010104.htm

very good images. the second is wonderfully composed. i would love to
have a copy, if you ever print one out.

yfitons
wayno

Charlie Choc
January 3rd, 2004, 04:41 PM
On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:48:14 -0700, Willi > wrote:

>Nice to get out.

BTW, here's a shot I took on Jan 1 before I dropped in to fish a creek
in north Georgia: http://tinyurl.com/259s4. I didn't have any luck,
but as you say, it was nice to get out.
--
Charlie...

Willi
January 3rd, 2004, 09:43 PM
Charlie Choc wrote:

> On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 19:48:14 -0700, Willi > wrote:
>

>>Nice to get out.
>>

> BTW, here's a shot I took on Jan 1 before I dropped in to fish a creek
> in north Georgia: http://tinyurl.com/259s4. I didn't have any luck,
> but as you say, it was nice to get out.

Pretty place. Looks like summertime!

Willi

Willi
January 3rd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Warren wrote:

> wrote...
>
>>With the kennel being closed to customers on New Year's Day, and the
>>temps in the fifties, I got out for a couple of hours.
>>
>>First headed up into the canyon. The river seemed lonely but was choked
>>in ice.
>>
>>I headed downstream to a section of river on the plains. Low and clear,
>>but pretty much open. Fished for about a half hour, caught a colorful
>>fish on a tiny midge larva and went back to work.
>>
>>http://www.crystalglen.net/Fishing/010104.htm
>>
>>Nice to get out.
>

> Very cool pics Willi. Is that the river below the fish hatchery and
> old log cabin? It looked somewhat familiar to an area I fished a
> couple of years ago with my cousin that lives in your neck of the
> woods.

No, different area.

The section you are describing is THE place on the Poudre. That mile
long stretch you described probably gets 10 times the pressure of any
other mile on the river. I very seldom fish that stretch for that reason.

Willi

Charlie Choc
January 3rd, 2004, 10:11 PM
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 14:43:26 -0700, Willi > wrote:

>Pretty place. Looks like summertime!

It was about 30 degrees, though. <g>
--
Charlie...

Warren
January 3rd, 2004, 10:36 PM
wrote...
> The section you are describing is THE place on the Poudre. That mile
> long stretch you described probably gets 10 times the pressure of any
> other mile on the river. I very seldom fish that stretch for that reason.

We went in the winter and never saw anybody else. Unfortunately we
didn't have much of a choice where we fished that day due to all of
the ice on the water. Now I find out that it wasn't even that good
of an area.... I'll have to talk to my cousin about that and make
sure to get in touch with you and Charlie every time I visit now. <g>
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Willi
January 4th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Warren wrote:

> wrote...
>
>>The section you are describing is THE place on the Poudre. That mile
>>long stretch you described probably gets 10 times the pressure of any
>>other mile on the river. I very seldom fish that stretch for that reason.
>

> We went in the winter and never saw anybody else. Unfortunately we
> didn't have much of a choice where we fished that day due to all of
> the ice on the water. Now I find out that it wasn't even that good
> of an area.... I'll have to talk to my cousin about that and make
> sure to get in touch with you and Charlie every time I visit now. <g>

In the Winter that's about the only section in the mountains that has
open water. It stays open because of the discharge from the spring fed
hatchery. Depending on the weather, some sections in the foothils and
down on the plains stay open.

That special reg section below the hatchery and the special reg sections
on the Big T, are prime examples of how special regulation waters draw
the fishermen. These sections are generally MUCH more crowded than the
open reg waters just downstream from them and personally, I find the
fishing better in the open reg sections. This isn't a call to end
special regulation waters, but at least in Colorado, it is one of the
inadvertent downsides of special regulation designations.

Willi

Jeff Miller
January 4th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Willi wrote:

> Pretty place. Looks like summertime!

look at the rhodo leaves...they indicate it was cold.

Warren
January 4th, 2004, 10:28 PM
wrote...
> In the Winter that's about the only section in the mountains that has
> open water. It stays open because of the discharge from the spring fed
> hatchery. Depending on the weather, some sections in the foothils and
> down on the plains stay open.

Come to think of it, my cousin did mention something about the
discharge from that hatchery...

> That special reg section below the hatchery and the special reg sections
> on the Big T, are prime examples of how special regulation waters draw
> the fishermen. These sections are generally MUCH more crowded than the
> open reg waters just downstream from them and personally, I find the
> fishing better in the open reg sections. This isn't a call to end
> special regulation waters, but at least in Colorado, it is one of the
> inadvertent downsides of special regulation designations.

I have never understood why that happens. I have read about that
happening in various books and magazines as well as your occasional
mention of it here.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Warren
January 4th, 2004, 10:49 PM
wrote...
> look at the rhodo leaves...they indicate it was cold.

This is what we are used to cold looking like in the Rockies:
http://home.earthlink.net/~troutbum_mt/DSCN2004a.jpg

It's 9 below right now and getting cooler. <g>
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

TroutHunter
January 4th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Great to see I am not the only crazy fisherman who beats the ice of my
lines.

Great pic.
Rob

"Willi" > wrote in message
> With the kennel being closed to customers on New Year's Day, and the
> temps in the fifties, I got out for a couple of hours.
>
> First headed up into the canyon. The river seemed lonely but was choked
> in ice.
>
> I headed downstream to a section of river on the plains. Low and clear,
> but pretty much open. Fished for about a half hour, caught a colorful
> fish on a tiny midge larva and went back to work.
>
> http://www.crystalglen.net/Fishing/010104.htm
>
> Nice to get out.
>
> Willi

Willi
January 4th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Jeff Miller wrote:

> Willi wrote:
>

>> Pretty place. Looks like summertime!
>

> look at the rhodo leaves...they indicate it was cold.

Guess I don't know rhodos. They look fine to me.

willi

Jeff Miller
January 4th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Willi wrote:

> Jeff Miller wrote:
>

>> Willi wrote:
>>

>>> Pretty place. Looks like summertime!
>>

>> look at the rhodo leaves...they indicate it was cold.
>>

> Guess I don't know rhodos. They look fine to me.

rhodo leaves curl up with a freezing cold. kinda neat to see those
evergreen bushes minimize their leaves exposure to the cold. the leaves
in the photo were curled, indicating the temp was cold.

btw, posted some mattamuskeet photos on abpf - took them with my new
digital camera...practicing for montana.

jeff

Mike Connor
January 4th, 2004, 11:59 PM
"Willi" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Guess I don't know rhodos. They look fine to me.
>
> willi

The leaves curl up when itīs cold. At least the ones in my garden and in the
woods round about do.

TL
MC

Charlie Wilson
January 5th, 2004, 12:12 AM
"Warren" wrote:
> > These sections are generally MUCH more crowded than the
> > open reg waters just downstream from them and personally, I find the
> > fishing better in the open reg sections. This isn't a call to end
> > special regulation waters, but at least in Colorado, it is one of the
> > inadvertent downsides of special regulation designations.
>
> I have never understood why that happens. I have read about that
> happening in various books and magazines as well as your occasional
> mention of it here.

Because they are a bunch of lazy *******s who don't bother to scout out
new territory, and they just go where the magazine articles, guide books,
and Wildlife Division tell them to go. I stopped mentioning specific locales
when I realized how many lurkers "mine" roff.

Ken Fortenberry
January 5th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Charlie Wilson wrote:

> ... I stopped mentioning specific locales
> when I realized how many lurkers "mine" roff.

Ain't that the truth. Before they fired me at the fly shop in
Cooke City for sending the same 4 Iowans to Slough Creek 4
days in a row, I was astounded at the number of tourists who
mentioned roff.

Scary.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Warren
January 5th, 2004, 02:35 AM
wrote...
> Because they are a bunch of lazy *******s who don't bother to scout out
> new territory, and they just go where the magazine articles, guide books,
> and Wildlife Division tell them to go. I stopped mentioning specific locales
> when I realized how many lurkers "mine" roff.

What do these special regs entail? Are they a "trophy water" kind of
label or are they in fact special regs used as management tools to
improve a fishery? Example blue ribbon type of designation versus
special regs of artificial only and slot limit variety.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Charlie Wilson
January 5th, 2004, 03:39 AM
"Warren" wrote:
> What do these special regs entail? Are they a "trophy water" kind of
> label or are they in fact special regs used as management tools to
> improve a fishery? Example blue ribbon type of designation versus
> special regs of artificial only and slot limit variety.

They are probably brought on by a combination of factors, including
do-good efforts to "improve" a fishery. Around here, they are usually
brought about by DOW officials caving in to the relentless pressure brought
on by special interest groups. Those special interest groups will tell you
they are trying to improve the fishery, but they sure won't mention
(publicly) their hidden agenda which, in the case of one local tax exempt
organization, is to keep the hillbilly masses of "cooler fillers" off of
*their* water. More power to them- these rules keep the fashionable masses
concentrated in the "special" areas.

bruiser
January 5th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Caught my first fish of the year today in the urban spring creek near my
house. I saw a total of three fish. Two were spooked and the third was a
little riser. I had to walk a bunch to get to the other side and then crawl
on my belly like a reptile, but it fell for a small parachute adams.

bruce h

Warren
January 5th, 2004, 04:22 AM
wrote...
> They are probably brought on by a combination of factors, including
> do-good efforts to "improve" a fishery. Around here, they are usually
> brought about by DOW officials caving in to the relentless pressure brought
> on by special interest groups. Those special interest groups will tell you
> they are trying to improve the fishery, but they sure won't mention
> (publicly) their hidden agenda which, in the case of one local tax exempt
> organization, is to keep the hillbilly masses of "cooler fillers" off of
> *their* water. More power to them- these rules keep the fashionable masses
> concentrated in the "special" areas.

What are the special regs? Is it artificial only, a slot limit or
what? The part that I am having a hard time understanding is why
would people want to flock to an area just because of a change in
regulations. Do they think that the fishery must be the cat's meow
for it to have a special reg?
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Charlie Wilson
January 5th, 2004, 06:00 PM
"Warren" wrote:

> What are the special regs? Is it artificial only, a slot limit or
> what?

Flies and artificial lures only, all fish must be returned to the water
immediately.

> The part that I am having a hard time understanding is why
> would people want to flock to an area just because of a change in
> regulations. Do they think that the fishery must be the cat's meow
> for it to have a special reg?

That's the only thing I can figure, they must assume the special regs
protect the fishery, and their only-on-the-weekends four hour drive will
most likely rewarded with a photo-op (ten minute out of the water mauling of
a fish that will be returned, because they are purists).

Warren
January 6th, 2004, 04:38 AM
wrote...
> That's the only thing I can figure, they must assume the special regs
> protect the fishery, and their only-on-the-weekends four hour drive will
> most likely rewarded with a photo-op (ten minute out of the water mauling of
> a fish that will be returned, because they are purists).

I can see why you and Willi have issues with these regs. Sounds
pretty screwed up.
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)
For Conclave Info:
http://www.geocities.com/troutbum_mt3/MadisonConclave.html

Willi
January 6th, 2004, 06:34 PM
bruiser wrote:

> Caught my first fish of the year today in the urban spring creek near my
> house. I saw a total of three fish. Two were spooked and the third was a
> little riser. I had to walk a bunch to get to the other side and then crawl
> on my belly like a reptile, but it fell for a small parachute adams.
>
> bruce h

Cool! It's good to hear you're figuring out those guys.

Willi

Russell D.
January 7th, 2004, 05:09 AM
Willi wrote:
> With the kennel being closed to customers on New Year's Day, and the
> temps in the fifties, I got out for a couple of hours.
>
> First headed up into the canyon. The river seemed lonely but was choked
> in ice.
>
> I headed downstream to a section of river on the plains. Low and clear,
> but pretty much open. Fished for about a half hour, caught a colorful
> fish on a tiny midge larva and went back to work.
>
> http://www.crystalglen.net/Fishing/010104.htm
>
> Nice to get out.
>
> Willi

Was surprised that there was no snow in any of your pictures. Here in
Utah we have had some great snow storms that will go a long way to
bustin' the drought that we have been in the past five years. One storm
was brought record December snowfall for one storm. In some areas
December's moisture totals were over three hundred percent of normal. I
thought those storms had probably headed on over you direction.

Great pix. Thanks.

Russell

Who is buying his licence tomarrow and then is going to pretend his is
going fishing sometime soon. All the local fishies are snowed in.

Willi
January 7th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Russell D. wrote:

> Was surprised that there was no snow in any of your pictures. Here in
> Utah we have had some great snow storms that will go a long way to
> bustin' the drought that we have been in the past five years. One storm
> was brought record December snowfall for one storm. In some areas
> December's moisture totals were over three hundred percent of normal. I
> thought those storms had probably headed on over you direction.

We've had above average snowpack so far this Winter. The pix were all
taken at low elevation. It's February and March that are the most
important. We get a very big percent of our moisture those months.

Willi

Jarmo Hurri
January 10th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Beautifully colored fish, that's for sure. Thanks for the photos.

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Drop your brain when replying, or just
use .