PDA

View Full Version : New Rod for Christmas now I need a reel & line

January 5th, 2004, 06:08 PM
I rec'd a Temple Fork Rod for Christmas, their IM 8 Graphite 5 weight.
I am leaning towards the Scientific Anglers GPX Fly Line and no idea
on a reel (This will be my main outfit for the Montana Clave). I
lined up the rod and I am pleased. It is a sweet stick IMHO.

Any suggestions on line for this rod that maybe someone has had
success with?

Chris 'Padishar Creel' Fanning

Russell D.
January 7th, 2004, 05:44 AM
wrote:

> I rec'd a Temple Fork Rod for Christmas, their IM 8 Graphite 5 weight.
> I am leaning towards the Scientific Anglers GPX Fly Line and no idea
> on a reel (This will be my main outfit for the Montana Clave). I
> lined up the rod and I am pleased. It is a sweet stick IMHO.
>
> Any suggestions on line for this rod that maybe someone has had
> success with?
>
> Chris 'Padishar Creel' Fanning

Chris, check out the Okuma Sierra reels. I have a couple of them and
have been very pleased with them.

Russell

Bill Kiene
January 7th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Hi Chris,

If you can breech the $100 mark, look at the Teton"Tioga" or G.Loomis
"Adventure".

I guess I would buy a $39 Orvis "Clear Water" if I did not want to spend
over $100?

I would love to find a sub-$100 fly reel that I could get excited about. I
have seen most of them.

Suggestions?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

> wrote in message
om...

> I rec'd a Temple Fork Rod for Christmas, their IM 8 Graphite 5 weight.
> I am leaning towards the Scientific Anglers GPX Fly Line and no idea
> on a reel (This will be my main outfit for the Montana Clave). I
> lined up the rod and I am pleased. It is a sweet stick IMHO.
>
> Any suggestions on line for this rod that maybe someone has had
> success with?
>
> Chris 'Padishar Creel' Fanning

Frank Reid
January 7th, 2004, 06:30 PM
> If you can breech the $100 mark, look at the Teton"Tioga" or G.Loomis
> "Adventure".

Scratch the Adventure. I've sent mine back three times for a bent spindle,
though it does get me a new reel each year. Major PITA.
--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

bugcaster
January 7th, 2004, 10:47 PM
I use a 12 Tioga for the spey line and like it. I've not tried the smaller
reels but I'm guessing they are good for the money.

"Bill Kiene" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hi Chris,
>
> If you can breech the $100 mark, look at the Teton"Tioga" or G.Loomis
> "Adventure".
>
> I guess I would buy a $39 Orvis "Clear Water" if I did not want to spend
> over $100?
>
> I would love to find a sub-$100 fly reel that I could get excited about. I
> have seen most of them.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> --
> Bill Kiene
>
> Kiene's Fly Shop
> Sacramento, CA, USA
> www.kiene.com
>
> > wrote in message
> om...
>
> > I rec'd a Temple Fork Rod for Christmas, their IM 8 Graphite 5 weight.
> > I am leaning towards the Scientific Anglers GPX Fly Line and no idea
> > on a reel (This will be my main outfit for the Montana Clave). I
> > lined up the rod and I am pleased. It is a sweet stick IMHO.
> >
> > Any suggestions on line for this rod that maybe someone has had
> > success with?
> >
> > Chris 'Padishar Creel' Fanning

January 8th, 2004, 05:31 AM
"Bill Kiene" suggested the Teton "Tioga" or G.Loomis "Adventure".
----------
What is the opinion of the Plueger Trion Fly Reel?

Chris 'padishar creel' Fanning

Bill Kiene
January 8th, 2004, 06:42 AM
Hi Frank,

We don't like the gold color but seem to sell some anyway.We have not had
the spindle problem as of yet, but thanks for the info.

Maybe you need to fish somewhere that has smaller fish? (only fooling)
--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

"Frank Reid" <moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf> wrote in message
> > If you can breech the $100 mark, look at the Teton"Tioga" or G.Loomis
> > "Adventure".
>
> Scratch the Adventure. I've sent mine back three times for a bent
spindle,
> though it does get me a new reel each year. Major PITA.
> --
> Frank Reid
> Reverse email to reply

Bill Kiene
January 8th, 2004, 06:49 AM
I like really old, but not worn out, Pflueger "Medalists".

I looked at the Trion on the web. It looks like the old Redington imported
fly reels that were not too good. You never know. It might be OK.

The Teton "Tioga" is made in US (CA) and is very solid @ 129US.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

> wrote in message
m...
> "Bill Kiene" suggested the Teton "Tioga" or G.Loomis "Adventure".
> ----------
> What is the opinion of the Plueger Trion Fly Reel?
>
> Chris 'padishar creel' Fanning

Frank Reid
January 8th, 2004, 02:56 PM
> We don't like the gold color but seem to sell some anyway.We have not had
> the spindle problem as of yet, but thanks for the info.
>
> Maybe you need to fish somewhere that has smaller fish? (only fooling)

Nah, don't like those western rivers much.
The spindle bends a slight bit and the line gets caught between the spool
and the T bar on the rim. Really sucks. It also cut my 555 about a third
of the way through last time I used it. Had a good fish on in the current,
the line got caught, and the next thing I know, the line is being cut by the
T bar. Really ****ed me off as the line was only about 4 months old. I've
written to Loomis, but only get the standard reply on where to send the reel
for repair.

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply

Warren
January 11th, 2004, 07:54 AM
moc.deepselbac@diersicnarf wrote...
> Nah, don't like those western rivers much.
> The spindle bends a slight bit and the line gets caught between the spool
> and the T bar on the rim. Really sucks. It also cut my 555 about a third
> of the way through last time I used it. Had a good fish on in the current,
> the line got caught, and the next thing I know, the line is being cut by the
> T bar. Really ****ed me off as the line was only about 4 months old. I've
> written to Loomis, but only get the standard reply on where to send the reel
> for repair.

Maybe you should quit falling so much. Lord knows how hard you are
on reels and rocks! <bseg>
--
Warren
(use troutbum_mt (at) yahoo to reply via email)

Frank Reid
January 11th, 2004, 02:06 PM
> Maybe you should quit falling so much. Lord knows how hard you are
> on reels and rocks! <bseg>

I actually thought falling may be the problem, but this last one had no real
dings and dents, and not much use (we had a LOT of rain this last year,
pretty much muddied up the creeks and rivers).

--
Frank Reid
Reverse email to reply