PDA

View Full Version : OT Proprietary potatoes

Ken Fortenberry
January 9th, 2004, 06:15 PM
I'm not sure what to think about "propietary potatoes" other than
I should try to grow some in my garden, that'd show the *******s ;-),
but I bought a bag of red skin, golden flesh "proprietary potatoes"
called Klondike Rose and they are fantastic.

Ohhhhhhhhhh the gnocchi, I sweartagawd, light, fluffy, melt in your
mouth with a buttery, velvet smoothness. Best gnocchi potatoes I've
ever worked with and they make damn good mashed taters too.

Just a culinary heads up, they're supposedly of German origin, grown
in Washington State and marketed by Green Giant.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Lennie Richardson
January 9th, 2004, 07:11 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
gy.com...
> I'm not sure what to think about "propietary potatoes" other than
> I should try to grow some in my garden, that'd show the *******s ;-),
> but I bought a bag of red skin, golden flesh "proprietary potatoes"
> called Klondike Rose and they are fantastic.
>
> Ohhhhhhhhhh the gnocchi, I sweartagawd, light, fluffy, melt in your
> mouth with a buttery, velvet smoothness. Best gnocchi potatoes I've
> ever worked with and they make damn good mashed taters too.
>
> Just a culinary heads up, they're supposedly of German origin, grown
> in Washington State and marketed by Green Giant.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

please publish the gnocchi recipe, ken.

Ken Fortenberry
January 9th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Lennie Richardson wrote:

> please publish the gnocchi recipe, ken.

Potato gnocchi is just potatoes and flour, a cup of flour per pound
of potatoes. Put the potatoes in a big pot of cold water, bring to
a boil and cook the potatoes til done. This is the critical part,
knowing how long to boil the potatoes, you want them cooked through
but you don't want to cook them so long they get gummy. When the
potatoes are done, drain them and peel the skins off. This will burn
your fingers, but it's important to run the peeled potatoes through
a food mill while they're still warm. Don't try to use anything
other than a food mill, won't work. Run the potatoes through the
food mill onto a floured surface and immediately knead in about 7/8ths
of the flour. BE GENTLE !! The more you mangle this the tougher
your gnocchi will get. You want a semi-sticky mass that just holds
together, use the rest of the flour if you need to. GENTLY roll the
mass into a cylinder about 1" in diameter and then cut the cylinder
into 3/4" pieces. There's a lot of different ways to do this next
step. The point is to "dent" the surface of the gnocchi so that it
holds sauce. Some roll the gnocchi over a cheese grater, I like to
place each gnocchi on a fork and GENTLY flick it off. That's it.
All you do now is drop them into salted boiling water until they
float.

You can use any number of sauces, the simplest is just butter,
tomatoes and onion. Melt a little more than 1/2 a stick of butter
in a pot and add a 28oz. can of whole plum tomatoes (San Marzanos
if you can find them) and a sweet onion peeled and cut in half.
Simmer for about 45 min., break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon,
remove and discard the onion, and serve over the gnocchi with a
grating of parmigiano reggiano.

That's it, potatoes and tomatoes, simple peasant fare par excellence.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Lennie Richardson
January 9th, 2004, 10:49 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
gy.com...
> Lennie Richardson wrote:
> >
> > please publish the gnocchi recipe, ken.
>
> Potato gnocchi is just potatoes and flour, a cup of flour per pound
> of potatoes. Put the potatoes in a big pot of cold water, bring to
> a boil and cook the potatoes til done. This is the critical part,
> knowing how long to boil the potatoes, you want them cooked through
> but you don't want to cook them so long they get gummy. When the
> potatoes are done, drain them and peel the skins off. This will burn
> your fingers, but it's important to run the peeled potatoes through
> a food mill while they're still warm. Don't try to use anything
> other than a food mill, won't work. Run the potatoes through the
> food mill onto a floured surface and immediately knead in about 7/8ths
> of the flour. BE GENTLE !! The more you mangle this the tougher
> your gnocchi will get. You want a semi-sticky mass that just holds
> together, use the rest of the flour if you need to. GENTLY roll the
> mass into a cylinder about 1" in diameter and then cut the cylinder
> into 3/4" pieces. There's a lot of different ways to do this next
> step. The point is to "dent" the surface of the gnocchi so that it
> holds sauce. Some roll the gnocchi over a cheese grater, I like to
> place each gnocchi on a fork and GENTLY flick it off. That's it.
> All you do now is drop them into salted boiling water until they
> float.
>
> You can use any number of sauces, the simplest is just butter,
> tomatoes and onion. Melt a little more than 1/2 a stick of butter
> in a pot and add a 28oz. can of whole plum tomatoes (San Marzanos
> if you can find them) and a sweet onion peeled and cut in half.
> Simmer for about 45 min., break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon,
> remove and discard the onion, and serve over the gnocchi with a
> grating of parmigiano reggiano.
>
> That's it, potatoes and tomatoes, simple peasant fare par excellence.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

That makes sense. Potatoes that are good mashed would make good gnocchi. The
gluten in the flour would bind the proteins in such potatoes better than it
would those present in a baking potato. I bet those same "proprietary"
potatoes would not be as good for french fries as a big old Idaho baking
potato.

Ken Fortenberry
January 9th, 2004, 11:20 PM
Lennie Richardson wrote:

> That makes sense. Potatoes that are good mashed would make good gnocchi. The
> gluten in the flour would bind the proteins in such potatoes better than it
> would those present in a baking potato. I bet those same "proprietary"
> potatoes would not be as good for french fries as a big old Idaho baking
> potato.

Good gnocchi potatoes are usually the "waxy boiling potato" varieties.
Idaho bakers end up too mealy for gnocchi and new potatoes boil up so
wet you end up using so much flour you may as well be making dumplings.
I make decent mashed potatoes with Yukon Golds (Idaho bakers) but I think
the Klondike Rose is better.

The Klondike Rose is marketed as a superior roasting potato, and it
does roast up quite nicely. Cut them in big wedges, toss with butter
and herbs and stick them in a 425 degree oven for a half hour. Good
"fries". I haven't actually deep fried any of them yet, that will be
interesting.

--
Ken Fortenberry

Tony Deacon
January 9th, 2004, 11:33 PM
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
gy.com...
.......and they make damn good mashed taters too.

> Just a culinary heads up, they're supposedly of German origin, grown
> in Washington State and marketed by Green Giant.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Try this: mash spuds in ratio 50% spud; 25% celeriac; 25% jew fartichoke;
lashings of olive oil, butter (+cream, if you like); a good dollop of seedy
mustard (Meaux, etc.), fresh ground black pepper.

Above mash is good with venison sausage casserole (red wine with shallots,
plenty fresh juniper berries, other stuff).

Tight Lines,
Tony Deacon

B J Conner
January 9th, 2004, 11:40 PM
How big are these new taters? Can you make a seven course meal out of one
or does it have to be a eight or nine course meal?
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
gy.com...
> I'm not sure what to think about "propietary potatoes" other than
> I should try to grow some in my garden, that'd show the *******s ;-),
> but I bought a bag of red skin, golden flesh "proprietary potatoes"
> called Klondike Rose and they are fantastic.
>
> Ohhhhhhhhhh the gnocchi, I sweartagawd, light, fluffy, melt in your
> mouth with a buttery, velvet smoothness. Best gnocchi potatoes I've
> ever worked with and they make damn good mashed taters too.
>
> Just a culinary heads up, they're supposedly of German origin, grown
> in Washington State and marketed by Green Giant.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
January 9th, 2004, 11:49 PM
Tony Deacon wrote:

> "Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
> gy.com...
> ......and they make damn good mashed taters too.
>
>>Just a culinary heads up, they're supposedly of German origin, grown
>>in Washington State and marketed by Green Giant.
>>
>>--
>>Ken Fortenberry
>

> Try this: mash spuds in ratio 50% spud; 25% celeriac; 25% jew fartichoke;
> lashings of olive oil, butter (+cream, if you like); a good dollop of seedy
> mustard (Meaux, etc.), fresh ground black pepper.
>
> Above mash is good with venison sausage casserole (red wine with shallots,
> plenty fresh juniper berries, other stuff).

Sounds interesting. I really like putting root vegetables in my mashed
taters, especially in the wintertime. I like to use turnips, parsnips
and rutabagas to make a root vegetable mash with a lot of layered flavor.
The third vegetable you mention is called a Jerusalem Artichoke here in
the states and it's not an artichoke at all, it's the tuberous root of
the sunflower plant also called the sunchoke. I've not used it, but the
way you use it sounds similar to what I do with other root vegetables.

Cheers !!

--
Ken Fortenberry

Ken Fortenberry
January 10th, 2004, 12:24 AM
B J Conner wrote:

> How big are these new taters? ...

The ones I bought at the grocery here were U.S. #1, which this
year means, among other things, they were at least 4 oz. apiece.
Most of them are right at that size.

I figure 8 oz. of "in the bag" taters per serving for my gnocchi.

(But then I'm pushin' 2?? lbs., so I should probably figure less ;-).

--
Ken Fortenberry

tony weall
January 10th, 2004, 06:41 AM
hey ken for the aussies and the thick here how much is a stick o butter
"Ken Fortenberry" > wrote in message
gy.com...
> Lennie Richardson wrote:
> >
> > please publish the gnocchi recipe, ken.
>
> Potato gnocchi is just potatoes and flour, a cup of flour per pound
> of potatoes. Put the potatoes in a big pot of cold water, bring to
> a boil and cook the potatoes til done. This is the critical part,
> knowing how long to boil the potatoes, you want them cooked through
> but you don't want to cook them so long they get gummy. When the
> potatoes are done, drain them and peel the skins off. This will burn
> your fingers, but it's important to run the peeled potatoes through
> a food mill while they're still warm. Don't try to use anything
> other than a food mill, won't work. Run the potatoes through the
> food mill onto a floured surface and immediately knead in about 7/8ths
> of the flour. BE GENTLE !! The more you mangle this the tougher
> your gnocchi will get. You want a semi-sticky mass that just holds
> together, use the rest of the flour if you need to. GENTLY roll the
> mass into a cylinder about 1" in diameter and then cut the cylinder
> into 3/4" pieces. There's a lot of different ways to do this next
> step. The point is to "dent" the surface of the gnocchi so that it
> holds sauce. Some roll the gnocchi over a cheese grater, I like to
> place each gnocchi on a fork and GENTLY flick it off. That's it.
> All you do now is drop them into salted boiling water until they
> float.
>
> You can use any number of sauces, the simplest is just butter,
> tomatoes and onion. Melt a little more than 1/2 a stick of butter
> in a pot and add a 28oz. can of whole plum tomatoes (San Marzanos
> if you can find them) and a sweet onion peeled and cut in half.
> Simmer for about 45 min., break up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon,
> remove and discard the onion, and serve over the gnocchi with a
> grating of parmigiano reggiano.
>
> That's it, potatoes and tomatoes, simple peasant fare par excellence.
>
> --
> Ken Fortenberry

Stan Gula
January 10th, 2004, 12:26 PM
"tony weall" > wrote in message
. ..
> hey ken for the aussies and the thick here how much is a stick o butter

In the US butter is sold usually in 1 pound packages as 4 sticks of 1/4
pound. Equivalent to 8 tablespoons or 1/2 cup.

Ken Fortenberry
January 10th, 2004, 01:43 PM
tony weall wrote:

> hey ken for the aussies and the thick here how much is a stick o butter

For the Aussies it's 4 ounces, for the thick 8 tablespoons. ;-)

--
Ken Fortenberry

JR
January 11th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Ken Fortenberry wrote:

> Lennie Richardson wrote:
> >
> > please publish the gnocchi recipe, ken.
>
> Potato gnocchi is just potatoes and flour, a cup of flour per pound
> of potatoes.......

In Italy, gnocchi on Thursday is as traditional as fish on Friday.
Restaurants don't necessarily even add it to their "specials" list; it's
just understood that there will be gnocchi on Thursday. Pretty much
everywhere.

Me, I'd rather apologize to ROFF than eat gnocchi. <g>

JR