PDA

View Full Version : Which Rod to buy

Bill Brown
January 10th, 2004, 12:44 AM
I've been looking at purchasing a 7 weight fly rod. I've narrowed it
down to 2 choices. The Scott SAS and a Sage DS2. I'm looking for a
good quality rod that doesn't break the bank. I'm mainly going to use
the rod for throwing large flies. I would also like to use it on the
small sal****er fish also. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Guyz-N-Flyz
January 10th, 2004, 01:54 AM
"Bill Brown" > wrote in message
om...

> Any opinions would be appreciated.

It is my opinion that you should vote your conscience.

Op --others will say that you shouldn't--

> Thanks,
> Bill

Sierra fisher
January 10th, 2004, 05:04 AM
I thought tht the SAS was being replaced. However, I heard that its
replacement is a similar rod. I use a SAS for spey fishing, a 13' 8 wt, and
think the world of it so I'm sure that the 7 wt would be a good rod.
If you want to be confused, there are to foreign made rods that are worth
considering, First the Redington Wayfarer. I believe that you can get the
7 wt in both 7 pc and 5 pc. great for traveling to sal****er locations. I
have the 8 wt and a 12 wt, and they are very good rods that cast straight
for a mile, and durable. They have plenty of strength to lift a fish. A
couple of years ago, the Fly Fish America magazine rated the Wayfarer as one
of the best 5 travel rods.
the other rod that I am not familiar with is the Timber Fork or TFO.
According to Bill Kiene who owns a fly shop and posts a lot on the board,
they are selling like hotcakes. It's hard to find one to try out.

You're in luck though, there are a lot of good inexpensive rods out there.

"Bill Brown" > wrote in message
om...
> I've been looking at purchasing a 7 weight fly rod. I've narrowed it
> down to 2 choices. The Scott SAS and a Sage DS2. I'm looking for a
> good quality rod that doesn't break the bank. I'm mainly going to use
> the rod for throwing large flies. I would also like to use it on the
> small sal****er fish also. Any opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

---

Bill Kiene
January 10th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Hi Bill,

The Sage "DS2", new Scott "A2", new TFO "TiCr" and Winston "Ibis" are all in
the sub-$300US range and great values.

Unless you actually cast them yourself, you might as well close your eyes
and throw a dart.

I would look at the Teton "Tioga" reel for this new 7 weight rod.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA
www.kiene.com

"Bill Brown" > wrote in message
om...

> I've been looking at purchasing a 7 weight fly rod. I've narrowed it
> down to 2 choices. The Scott SAS and a Sage DS2. I'm looking for a
> good quality rod that doesn't break the bank. I'm mainly going to use
> the rod for throwing large flies. I would also like to use it on the
> small sal****er fish also. Any opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Wayne P
January 10th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Have you cast both of them? If I am not mistaken, Their actions are a bit
different. I have a 7 wt SAS and a 5 wt DS2. I have also cast a 8 wt DS2
along with a 7 wt. I think the SAS is a bit quicker.

wayne

"Bill Brown" > wrote in message
om...
> I've been looking at purchasing a 7 weight fly rod. I've narrowed it
> down to 2 choices. The Scott SAS and a Sage DS2. I'm looking for a
> good quality rod that doesn't break the bank. I'm mainly going to use
> the rod for throwing large flies. I would also like to use it on the
> small sal****er fish also. Any opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

steve sullivan
January 11th, 2004, 05:49 AM
In article >,
(Bill Brown) wrote:

> I've been looking at purchasing a 7 weight fly rod. I've narrowed it
> down to 2 choices. The Scott SAS and a Sage DS2. I'm looking for a
> good quality rod that doesn't break the bank. I'm mainly going to use
> the rod for throwing large flies. I would also like to use it on the
> small sal****er fish also. Any opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,

The agd titan 7/8 8 foot 4 piece is really good.