PDA

View Full Version : Wayne & Kiyu - re; Va Fishing

Bill McDonald
January 10th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Guys thanks for the tips. I finally decided to focus in on the Hidden
Valley Rec Area offering close trips to The Jackson, Muddy Run, Back
Ck. Benson Run, Maury Rv. & Mossey Creek. Quite an aggressive agenda
I know but I'll narrow it down once I get the topo's. (Credits to
Harry Stone and his book "Trout Streams of Virginia). The next task
on my list is to locate what I call an ideal camp-grounds.
Elec hook-up, walking distance to at least marginal fishing.
Campfires allowed, a tavern or honkey-tonk within 15 mi driving (with
scantily clad waitresses of course). Warm showers would be an extra
but not totally required. I've done a S#itload of google searches and
have come up blank! Flyshops are my next venue. Thanks in advance.
Bill in Va.

Kiyu
January 11th, 2004, 06:50 AM
On 10 Jan 2004 08:52:57 -0800, (Bill McDonald) wrote:

>Guys thanks for the tips. I finally decided to focus in on the Hidden
>Valley Rec Area offering close trips to The Jackson, Muddy Run, Back
>Ck. Benson Run, Maury Rv. & Mossey Creek. Quite an aggressive agenda
>I know but I'll narrow it down once I get the topo's. (Credits to
>Harry Stone and his book "Trout Streams of Virginia). The next task
>on my list is to locate what I call an ideal camp-grounds.
Slone's book is good but it won't give you a good feel for what the
fishing is like. I think he rushed a bit get the project done.
Hidden Valley campground used to be maintained by a group of senior
volunteers - probably still is and was really great. The last time I
was there we got run off by local cops while they were filming
Sommersby up at Warwick Mansion so you can tell it has been a while.
They were a bit touchy about filming a Civil War era film & seeing the
top of a fly rod whipping back & forth in the front yard.
Mossy is a bit farther up but there is a campground a few miles away
at Natural Chimneys - noisy but they have full trailer hookup.

>Elec hook-up, walking distance to at least marginal fishing.
>Campfires allowed, a tavern or honkey-tonk within 15 mi driving (with
>scantily clad waitresses of course).
Couldn't help you there. Can barely remember what to do if I did find
one.

> Warm showers would be an extra
>but not totally required. I've done a S#itload of google searches and
>have come up blank! Flyshops are my next venue. Thanks in advance.
Green Top on US 1 north is a fun stop. A search on fly shop Virginia
turned up a bunch of stuff for me. Check your local phone book for
Richmond shops. Use the links I gave you on your other post and you
will probably find all you need to know.
Pick up a Virginia Atlas & Gazetteer by DeLorme. You'll need it.

And good luck.

Kiyu