PDA

View Full Version : TR: Frenchman's Creek...now I'm caught up!

Bill Mason
January 10th, 2004, 06:37 PM
San Diego finally received some meaningful rainfall over the last couple of
weeks, and it appears that the trout in Frenchman's Creek will make it
through another season. We had to make sure though...sometimes it's best to
check these things out firsthand.

Danl and I met at the chosen parking spot at 7:30 a.m. where he presented me
with the material to tie up a bunch of a San Juan favorite. I think this is
a tie even I can pull off! We set off down the frozen trail, our shoes
crunching the icy ground and our breath hanging in the cold morning
air...perfect hiking weather. Soon we found ourselves at the mouth of the
canyon and started down the boulder-strewn watercourse. Both of us had
fished the upper section of this creek in the past, and we pointed out some
of the pools that had yielded memorable fish...for me the hook-jawed male in
spawning colors, and for Danl the 13 inch brown that wasn't supposed to be
there. Streamside rocks were slick with a skin of ice, and sheets of the
stuff covered the still water in most of the eddies. We carefully threaded
our way over and around boulders and through thick brush for a little over
an hour, and finally rigged up, unable to stand it anymore.

For the next few hours we worked our way downstream, fishing as we went.
The water was very cold, and both fish and insects seemed to be quite
sluggish. We picked up the occasional fish, Danl on dries (of course) and
me on a midge dropper. Slow as it was, we had a fine time working some very
nice looking water. When things warm up a little bit, some stretches of
this creek are just going to be a blast! Because it was still close to the
Christmas season (I need an excuse), we.mostly me.spent a little extra time
hanging ornaments from the branches of the streamside trees. Nice ornaments
too.tufts of colored feathers with golden beads and iridescent trim.quite
beautiful in the afternoon sun.

At a point deep inside the canyon we came to a gorgeous pool fed by a fair
sized waterfall. Spots like this just aren't supposed to exist in this part
of the state. There *had* to be fish here, so we started casting in
earnest.and casting and casting. I think Danl got a couple of strikes here,
and I got zip. Then one of us tied on a Little Brown Streamer (from the
2003 swap) and BOOM! A pretty little rainbow. Then a hit and miss. Then
another fish. We had found the hot ticket and played in that pool for
another thirty minutes before being forced by the late hour to start back to
the cars. We fished as we walked, and Danl managed a couple of final trout
before we finally broke down our rods. We were back at the cars by the time
it was dark. Thanks, Danl, for another great day.

As for the pictures, I was still using the cheap disposable camera from the
Owens River trip, and the photos I shot just didn't turn out.too little
light in the canyon. I don't like to post so many pictures with me in them,
but Danl took some shots that really show the character of the stream very
well. I hope you'll like them.
http://users.adelphia.net/~wmason/FrenchMansCreek.htm

Cheers,
Bill

Allen Epps
January 10th, 2004, 08:30 PM
In article >, Bill Mason
> wrote:

> http://users.adelphia.net/~wmason/FrenchMansCreek.htm

Very nice TR Bill.. Not at all what I expected it to look like from
your description, thought it would be browner.

Allen
Catonsville, MD

Willi
January 10th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Bill Mason wrote:
> San Diego finally received some meaningful rainfall over the last couple of
> weeks, and it appears that the trout in Frenchman's Creek will make it
> through another season. We had to make sure though...sometimes it's best to
> check these things out firsthand.

Nice Bill. Handsome fish that Danl had. Looks like a cool little stream

Willi

Tim J.
January 11th, 2004, 02:24 AM
"Bill Mason" > wrote in message
> San Diego finally received some meaningful rainfall over the last couple of
> weeks, and it appears that the trout in Frenchman's Creek will make it
> through another season.
<snip>
Good news, and good TR. Thanks, Bill.
--
TL,
Tim

Danl
January 11th, 2004, 03:14 AM
"Bill Mason" > wrote in message
> San Diego finally received some meaningful rainfall over the last couple
of
> weeks, and it appears that the trout in Frenchman's Creek will make it
> through another season. We had to make sure though...sometimes it's best
> check these things out firsthand.
>
> Danl and I met at the chosen parking spot at 7:30 a.m.

[Good TR of a damn fine day snipped]

> Cheers,
> Bill

That was a great day, Bill. Good thing you figured out the fly de jour.

The "hike" in and out of "Broken Leg Canyon" that houses Frenchman's Creek
is darn tough! You gotta really want to see those little fishes to climb in
and out of there. Makes those cricks in Nawth Cackalacky look like golf
course ponds. Hell, Mr. Frodo had an afternoon stroll to his mailbox by
comparison. The cockles of my heart are kept nicely warm on these long
winter nights (62 degrees here at 7PM) knowing that those little jewels are
hidden in that small splash of water.

Danl

Let's do it again soon.

Bill Mason
January 11th, 2004, 05:20 AM
"Danl" > wrote in message

> The "hike" in and out of "Broken Leg Canyon" that houses Frenchman's Creek
> is darn tough! You gotta really want to see those little fishes to climb
in
> and out of there.

And that was the easy route! The ropes along another "trail" aren't just
there for decoration. Still, the old gent's tale of "nothing under 21
inches" rings around in the back of my head. We need to figure out that new
access we talked about!

Cheers,
Bill

Jeff Miller
January 11th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Danl wrote:

> Makes those cricks in Nawth Cackalacky look like golf
> course ponds.

hmmm... methinks cal danl has yet to experience a genuine carolina
trout. lemmeesee, greentown trail, linville canyon, hooper bald, a bit
of upper wilson, whadya think waldo?

see you in october danl?? <g>

jeff

Jarmo Hurri
January 11th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Nice report and photos, thanks for keeping our spirits up here during
the dark and cold season!

--
Jarmo Hurri

Spam countermeasures included. Drop your brain when replying, or just
use .

walt winter
January 11th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Jeff Miller wrote:

> Danl wrote:
>
>> Makes those cricks in Nawth Cackalacky look like golf
>> course ponds.
>

> hmmm... methinks cal danl has yet to experience a genuine carolina
> trout. lemmeesee, greentown trail, linville canyon, hooper bald, a bit
> of upper wilson, whadya think waldo?
>
> see you in october danl?? <g>
>
> jeff

i think dan'l been sippin' from a bad mason jar..... not that i
be opposed to such activity, it's just that if yer gonna make
bald assed statements like dat, ya need to be sippin' da good
stuff.... preferably on a cabin porch tucked away in the high
country of nc.... along with some nc boys that will reintroduce
the forlorn adventurer to some mighty fine streams.... course,
'ole danl most likely to get lost tryin' to keep up with us bounders.

wally

Danl
January 11th, 2004, 03:17 PM
"Jeff Miller" > wrote in message

> Danl wrote:
>
> > Makes those cricks in Nawth Cackalacky look like golf
> > course ponds.
>
> hmmm... methinks cal danl has yet to experience a genuine carolina
> trout. lemmeesee, greentown trail, linville canyon, hooper bald, a bit
> of upper wilson, whadya think waldo?
>
> see you in october danl?? <g>
>
> jeff

Pshaw, Jeffie. Them places got names that even include the word "trail".
Whaddazat tell ya?

Don't know bout October, but I'm gonna be wading in some Western NC cricks
in May. Unfortunately, bout the same time you're gonna be bivouacked in the
Penn's Monsoon.

Danl

Danl
January 11th, 2004, 03:24 PM
"walt winter" > wrote in message
> i think dan'l been sippin' from a bad mason jar..... not that i
> be opposed to such activity, it's just that if yer gonna make
> bald assed statements like dat, ya need to be sippin' da good
> stuff.... preferably on a cabin porch tucked away in the high
> country of nc.... along with some nc boys that will reintroduce
> the forlorn adventurer to some mighty fine streams.... course,
> 'ole danl most likely to get lost tryin' to keep up with us bounders.
>
> wally

You are correct, Wally! There's no way I could keep up with you and Jeffie
when it comes to draining mason jars. As for the rest, nothing could be
finer than hiking in Caroliner to go fiiiiiiishing. When and where, you
Hilljacks, when and where?

Danl

Joe McIntosh
January 11th, 2004, 03:31 PM
"walt winter" > wrote in message
> Jeff Miller wrote:
> >

> > Danl wrote:
> >
> >> Makes those cricks in Nawth Cackalacky look like golf
> >> course ponds.
> >

> > hmmm... methinks cal danl has yet to experience a genuine carolina
> > trout. lemmeesee, greentown trail, linville canyon, hooper bald, a bit
> > of upper wilson, whadya think waldo?
> >
> > see you in october danl?? <g>
> >
> > jeff
> >

> i think dan'l been sippin' from a bad mason jar..... not that i
> be opposed to such activity, it's just that if yer gonna make
> bald assed statements like dat, ya need to be sippin' da good
> stuff.... preferably on a cabin porch tucked away in the high
> country of nc.... along with some nc boys that will reintroduce
> the forlorn adventurer to some mighty fine streams.... course,
> 'ole danl most likely to get lost tryin' to keep up with us bounders.
>
> wally

Indian Joe with money in hand offers--having fished in Snowbird creek [ n.
c. ] with dan'l, seen him fish the middle of the madison with water above
his hips, and seen him run up upper rock creek with bruiser; I'll wager
that he will be standing beside Jeff when they come in after dark.

Jeff Miller
January 11th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Danl wrote:

>> lemmeesee, greentown trail, linville canyon, hooper bald, a bit
>>of upper wilson, whadya think waldo?
>>
>>see you in october danl?? <g>
>>
>>jeff
>

> Pshaw, Jeffie. Them places got names that even include the word "trail".
> Whaddazat tell ya?
>
> Don't know bout October, but I'm gonna be wading in some Western NC cricks
> in May. Unfortunately, bout the same time you're gonna be bivouacked in the
> Penn's Monsoon.

i'll provide excellent directions for you. where do you plan on fishing
- smokies or blue ridge?
the hooper bald drop into snowbird will be fun, but the greentown trail
(probably will need to go up it once just for sport)
trip to the upper falls is very scenic and will probably suit your laid
back california style.

let me know your plans.

jeff

Danl
January 11th, 2004, 04:07 PM
> i'll provide excellent directions for you. where do you plan on fishing
> - smokies or blue ridge?
> the hooper bald drop into snowbird will be fun, but the greentown trail
> (probably will need to go up it once just for sport)
> trip to the upper falls is very scenic and will probably suit your laid
> back california style.
>
> let me know your plans.
>
> jeff

I appreciate the offer, Jeff. I already have a "local" that I'm meeting
with, so I will be ok.

On second thought, one can never have too many "excellent directions" to
troutie streams. I'll be in the Blue Ridge on this trip, so if you've got
any locales that I should investigate, please do tell....but let's take it
to email.

BTW, my wisecrack about the Penn's Monsoon was just that. I went to Penns
last year and had an absolute blast. Big bugs, big fish, lotsa new (and old)
friends, and a very large time was had by all. A little water never hurt
anybody...well, Reids excepted.....

Danl

Joe McIntosh
January 11th, 2004, 04:46 PM
"Jeff Miller" > >

> >> lemmeesee, greentown trail, linville canyon, hooper bald, a bit
> >>of upper wilson, whadya think waldo?
> >>
> >>see you in october danl?? <g>
> >>
> >>jeff
> >
> >Indian Joe suggests--- sorry to say my generational defects won"t allow
me to join these fly-fishing X- games: but I still hope to hike into the
upper cascades area of Hazel Creek by way of Clingman's Dome and the
Appachalian Trail in late April if my trial runs show more success. Tried
the rigid first 14 days of the South Beach diet this month and only made
nine days. Stayed dizzy, hungry and manhattenless, but had to give it up
when my legs cramped all night. { loss 10 lbs of neck and leg fat- no belly]
Next month I will try hiking around golf course with a backpack full of
books--then I will look for volunteers to join me who can carry pots,pans,
stove etc. { plus their own gear]

Wally -when do those new lightweight felt soled wading boots arrive? Could
you deliver them to Cascades camp ground?

walt winter
January 11th, 2004, 11:30 PM
Joe McIntosh wrote:
plus their own gear]

> Wally -when do those new lightweight felt soled wading boots arrive? Could
> you deliver them to Cascades camp ground?

they should be in by the end of the month joe....

i'd love to deliver them but who'd run the shop :-(

wally

walt winter
January 11th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Danl wrote:
> "walt winter" > wrote in message
>
>>i think dan'l been sippin' from a bad mason jar..... not that i
>>be opposed to such activity, it's just that if yer gonna make
>>bald assed statements like dat, ya need to be sippin' da good
>>stuff.... preferably on a cabin porch tucked away in the high
>>country of nc.... along with some nc boys that will reintroduce
>>the forlorn adventurer to some mighty fine streams.... course,
>>'ole danl most likely to get lost tryin' to keep up with us bounders.
>>
>>wally
>

> You are correct, Wally! There's no way I could keep up with you and Jeffie
> when it comes to draining mason jars. As for the rest, nothing could be
> finer than hiking in Caroliner to go fiiiiiiishing. When and where, you
> Hilljacks, when and where?
>
> Danl

i'll be the one huffn and puffn up and down the trails danl.

wally

Bill Mason
January 11th, 2004, 11:38 PM
"Jarmo Hurri" > wrote in message

> thanks for keeping our spirits up here during
> the dark and cold season!

It may be cold and dark right now, but I've read TRs about those 24 hour
summertime sessions. Hang in there for a few more months!

Cheers,
Bill

Jarmo Hurri
January 16th, 2004, 03:18 PM
>> thanks for keeping our spirits up here during the dark and cold
>> season!

Bill> It may be cold and dark right now, but I've read TRs about those
Bill> 24 hour summertime sessions. Hang in there for a few more
Bill> months!

We sure will, Bill. Besides, I'd never get any flies tied if our
rivers would be open round the year. :-)