PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Rob Osborn
January 10th, 2004, 07:10 PM
Hello all,

I just found this newsgroup. I am very interested in fly fishing but have
never done it though I have spent a GREAT deal of time bait casting and spin
casting. I would like to pursue a fishing hobby that is more interactive
with the fish and water.

I would like advice on equipment, resources, etc., to get started. I
realize that there are probably a wide range of opinions on equipment and so
forth and I appreciate that. However, my main interest "right now" is
picking up a rod and reel that is reasonably priced (i.e. < $200), something
that I can learn on and grow with for a while - understanding that there is
more advanced/sensitive/specialized equipment available as I grow in my
understanding and ability in fly fishing.

Just looking to get started with sruff that will allow me to enjoy fly
fishing and grow into it. By the way, I live near Ann Arbor, Michigan, so
my fishing will be primarily in local rivers (the Huron River) and local
lakes.

Thanks for the help!

Rob

http://www.Usenet.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

Tim Carter
January 10th, 2004, 07:48 PM
You're not too far from Cabela's in Dundee. I'd start there.

News==----
> http://www.Usenet.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
Newsgroups
=---

Frank Church
January 10th, 2004, 11:11 PM
"Rob Osborn" > wrote in :

> Just looking to get started with sruff that will allow me to enjoy fly
> fishing and grow into it. By the way, I live near Ann Arbor,
> Michigan, so my fishing will be primarily in local rivers (the Huron
> River) and local lakes.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Rob

Good advice from Tim, I make regular pilgrimages over there (which makes
it a 300 mile R/T for me, here in Elkhart, IN) As you probably know, the
Huron is full of smallmouth bass, and right there in urban AA. You didn't
say what your primary target species is/are, but a 5 wt. rod should hit
it about right. You certainly can get fixed up at Cabelas with their
Stowawy outfits, or a sweet little Three Forks 8' 5wt will only set you
back about 50 bucks, add another 75 or so for a decent reel and line and
your in for well under $200. Having said all that, we have a roffian, old
Uncle Wally who could no doubt fix you up from his shop, check him out at
ezflyfish.com. BTW, I plan to fish the Huron this year, as well as a few
other Michigan rivers, some are excellent wade fishing and plenty of
access points. Now that I'm more or less retired, fish till you drop is
my motto. :-)

Frank Church
Elkhart, IN

VILE-LINT
January 10th, 2004, 11:22 PM
And don't come back until you've actually flyfished!

Mark

"Tim Carter" > wrote in message
.. .
> You're not too far from Cabela's in Dundee. I'd start there.
>

> "Rob Osborn" > wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I just found this newsgroup. I am very interested in fly fishing but
have
> > never done it though I have spent a GREAT deal of time bait casting and
> spin
> > casting. I would like to pursue a fishing hobby that is more
interactive
> > with the fish and water.
> >
> > I would like advice on equipment, resources, etc., to get started. I
> > realize that there are probably a wide range of opinions on equipment
and
> so
> > forth and I appreciate that. However, my main interest "right now" is
> > picking up a rod and reel that is reasonably priced (i.e. < $200),
> something
> > that I can learn on and grow with for a while - understanding that there
> is
> > more advanced/sensitive/specialized equipment available as I grow in my
> > understanding and ability in fly fishing.
> >
> > Just looking to get started with sruff that will allow me to enjoy fly
> > fishing and grow into it. By the way, I live near Ann Arbor, Michigan,
so
> > my fishing will be primarily in local rivers (the Huron River) and local
> > lakes.
> >
> > Thanks for the help!
> >
> > Rob

> News==----
> > http://www.Usenet.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000
> Newsgroups
> > ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via
Encryption
> =---

Jeff Miller
January 11th, 2004, 12:29 AM
ok...here's my opinion for quick and easy starter outfit in the range of
$225 - with an excellent guarantee included. get the orvis fly fishing
catalog, look at their clearwater starter outfit... rod, reel, line
combos. the catalog offers some written guidance and explanation of rod
weight and flex or action that might be helpful to you since you already
have experience in baitcasting and spinning.

look at the clearwater rod and reel outfits on pp 22-23 of the Orvis
2004 volume 1A catalog. 25 year guarantee, excellent return/exchange
policy, mid-flex rod suitable for various casting styles and conditions.

for lakes and bigger rivers, you probably should get a 9 foot, 5-6
weight. you can use it on some of the u.p. trout streams, but it's
probably at the upper weight end for most of the normal trout waters
i've seen up there. if you're steelheading or fishing for big salmon,
you might need a heavier, stiffer outfit, but it won't be as adaptable
to the normal trout streams.

of the catalog outfits i've seen, i think orvis offers the best all
around deal. i'd upgrade the fly line for an additional $30 if you want
a better starting experience.

.... going to a flyshop or to cabela's, trying a rod, and talking with
someone will get you more opinions. i doubt it will substantially
improve on the equipment or guarantee offered by orvis. if you have
friends who fly fish, you might borrow one of their rigs to get a feel
for it. but, in the end, you just need to get started with a
serviceable outfit and know, as you've indicated, that you'll learn best
from actual experience and then refine your equipment based on what you
determine suits your needs and style. then, contact walt winter at
ezflyfish.com for all your flyfishing needs...

jeff

Rob Osborn wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just found this newsgroup. I am very interested in fly fishing but have
> never done it though I have spent a GREAT deal of time bait casting and spin
> casting. I would like to pursue a fishing hobby that is more interactive
> with the fish and water.
>
> I would like advice on equipment, resources, etc., to get started. I
> realize that there are probably a wide range of opinions on equipment and so
> forth and I appreciate that. However, my main interest "right now" is
> picking up a rod and reel that is reasonably priced (i.e. < $200), something
> that I can learn on and grow with for a while - understanding that there is
> more advanced/sensitive/specialized equipment available as I grow in my
> understanding and ability in fly fishing.
>
> Just looking to get started with sruff that will allow me to enjoy fly
> fishing and grow into it. By the way, I live near Ann Arbor, Michigan, so
> my fishing will be primarily in local rivers (the Huron River) and local
> lakes.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> Rob

> http://www.Usenet.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

rw
January 11th, 2004, 01:15 AM
VILE-LINT wrote:
> And don't come back until you've actually flyfished!

This post shows me that you are totally out of control, Mark. The guy is
just asking for some advice, but you have to drag your tedious fight
with Fortenberry (and maybe with me) into it.

My only problem with SnakeFiddler isn't really a problem with
SnakeFiddler, who seems pretty cool as far as I can tell. It's a problem
with you. Now that you've finally found a girlfriend, why would you drag
her into this nest of vipers? What the **** does it have to do with
ROFF? Couldn't you forsee the problems that would cause? Same with your
new job. There's nothing wrong with announcing you found some nice job,
but that's as far as it goes. We are not your family. We are a
flyfishing newsgroup.

Relax. Have a home brew.

VILE-LENT
January 11th, 2004, 01:21 AM
m...

Yeah, you're right Steve. **** YOU!

> My only problem with SnakeFiddler isn't really a problem with
> SnakeFiddler, who seems pretty cool as far as I can tell. It's a problem
> with you. Now that you've finally found a girlfriend, why would you drag
> her into this nest of vipers? What the **** does it have to do with
> ROFF? Couldn't you forsee the problems that would cause? Same with your
> new job. There's nothing wrong with announcing you found some nice job,
> but that's as far as it goes. We are not your family. We are a
> flyfishing newsgroup.

I guess you missed my reply to Greg P.? You must have missed the part where
I said that it was her decision to post to ROFF, as I have no control over
the young lady. I guess I missed all of the posts about your pathetic life,
too. I guess you miss the post where I said, I don't give a **** what you
nor anyone else thinks about what I post anymore.

**** Steve, you've missed a lot of stuff, sure you ain't mentally retarded?

Mark

> Relax. Have a home brew.
>
> --
> Cut "to the chase" for my email address.

rw
January 11th, 2004, 01:59 AM
VILE-LENT wrote:

> I guess you missed my reply to Greg P.? You must have missed the part where
> I said that it was her decision to post to ROFF, as I have no control over
> the young lady. I guess I missed all of the posts about your pathetic life,
> too. I guess you miss the post where I said, I don't give a **** what you
> nor anyone else thinks about what I post anymore.

Yes, I missed those. Get a life, as they say.

Wayne Knight
January 11th, 2004, 02:26 AM
"Rob Osborn" > wrote in message
> fishing and grow into it. By the way, I live near Ann Arbor, Michigan, so
> my fishing will be primarily in local rivers (the Huron River) and local
> lakes.

Rob you have a wealth of local information near Ann Arbor. From the Great
Lakes Chapter of the Federation of Fly Fishers, The Flint Muddler Minnows,
the fly fishing club at the Uof M (plus one at MSU).

If you were most anywhere else I'd package the usual advice about visiting
shops and such but there is going to be a big fly shop near you in March. It
used to be in Southport but this year it moved. Most fly shops, clubs, and
everything else Michigan fly fishing is going to be there.

Go to the show, take in some of the clinics, visit with the vendors and
shops, gets some pointers and then start to make your decision on what to
buy.

Bob Patton
January 11th, 2004, 05:10 AM
"Rob Osborn" > wrote in message
> Hello all,

//snip//

You've had some real good advice. I'd add my recommendation for the LL Bean
Flyfishing Handbook. It's not very expensive, and is oriented toward
beginners. Lots of real good basic info on the key parts of the sport. I've
had my copy for probably fifteen years and it still comes in handy from time
to time. It costs $18.95 at www.llbean.com .
Bob

Mu Young Lee
January 12th, 2004, 04:04 AM
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Rob Osborn wrote:

> Just looking to get started with sruff that will allow me to enjoy fly
> fishing and grow into it. By the way, I live near Ann Arbor, Michigan, so
> my fishing will be primarily in local rivers (the Huron River) and local
> lakes.

The Huron is fun. At the early part of the season it will be high and
muddy in many places. Once the water clears up, I used to like fishing
the stretch downstream from Huron Towers apartments, just downstream from
the Arboretum and wading a about a half mile down. A yellow wolly bugger
palmered with red hackle will get the smallies excited. Cast downstream
at about a 45 degree angle - let the line swing until it's straight
downstream. Once the line is straight behind you strip the line back to
you. August was my favorite time. Wet wading on a dog day and knowing
that the sun won't go down until 9 PM. There will be steady hex activity
in June and July but I never had much luck at it - though I never fished
at night. In September the white mayfly hatch will bring smallies up to
the top - a size 14 white wulff will do you fine.

The fishing in the 3 MetroParks upstream from Ann Arbor can be decent but
truth to tell I have never done too well there. Some oldtimers used to
tell me the fishing was much better about 10 years ago.

BTW, wet wading is OK but I would recommend wearing wading boots. I once
got a pretty bad puncture wound when a beer bottle shard went through my
sandal and 1/2 into the underside of my foot. Had to hike back on Huron
River Drive to my car leaving a trail of blood on the road.

If you are familiar with the drake mayfly hatch (May?June?) on Four Mile
Lake in Chelsea it's a good place to wait 20 seconds to let a large nymph
sink to the bottom and sit for a while. Then strip it up towards the
surface as if it's a bug getting ready to hatch and the largemouths will
love it. Four Mile is a good lake to wade by the way. Some good
bluegills and occasional action on largemouths will be available there.
I've also caught some large rock bass and nice crappie there.

If you cast towards the left from the sandy beach at Pickerel Lake in
Pinckney State Recreation Area with an ant fly, get as close to the lily
pads as possible, and you should be able to hit some nice fat pumpkinseeds
during the middle of summer.

Crooked Lake in Waterloo State Rec Area (not the Crooked Lake in Pinckney
S.R.A) is a good place to cast to the shallows with a popper if you have a
canoe.

I fished many of the lakes in Waterloo and Pinckney using conventional
bass fishing hardware and fly gear. The places mentioned above are just
some of the nice places I found. I would avoid fly fishing the largest
lakes such as Portage or Half-Moon. I did bring my fly gear when fishing
in a powerboat if a friend was throwing bait and plugs. But if I was by
myself and I was planning on fly fishing only, I prefer the lakes that are
either wadeable or small enough for canoe or float tubing.

Mu Young Lee
Thousand Oaks, CA