PDA

View Full Version : Yellowstone park reports worst snowmobile damage ever

Sportsmen Against Bush
January 14th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Yellowstone National Park News Release
INFORMATION FOR THE MEDIA CONTACTS:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Matthews, (307) 344-2010
January 12, 2004 04-03

ILLEGAL SNOWMOBILE ACTIVITY IN YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK
Yellowstone National Park Superintendent Suzanne Lewis stated that
sometime early Saturday morning, January 10, 2004, two snowmobilers
illegally entered the park and purposely drove through several meadows
between the West Entrance and Madison Junction. Their off-road
activities were readily apparent to the numerous visitors traveling
along the West Entrance Road that morning and will remain visible
until the next significant snowfall.

Evidence shows that the individuals entered the park by following a
groomed ski trail at the east end of the town of West Yellowstone,
Montana. They drove down the ski trail to the West Entrance Road and
continued east about 13 miles on the groomed road surface to near
Madison Junction. Along the way, the snowmobilers ventured off-road
onto several meadows. Tracks showed that the individuals drove back
and forth across the meadows. In some areas their tracks dug deep
through the snow and into the soil, and some shrubs and small trees
were trampled.

This is the worst case of off-road snowmobile travel ever recorded
along the West Entrance Road. Rangers are actively working to locate
the individuals responsible for the damages. Any person with
information that could help in the investigation is encouraged to
contact Yellowstone National Park Criminal Investigator Chris Fors at
(307) 344-2125.

Superintendent Lewis reminds all winter visitors that the use of
oversnow vehicles off designated routes is prohibited, that
recreational oversnow vehicle travel in Yellowstone National Park is
allowed only by guided snowmobile tours or by commercial snowcoaches,
and use is restricted between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 p.m.

-NPS-

yo
January 14th, 2004, 08:31 PM
"Muskie" > didst type:

<chomp>
> This is the worst case of off-road snowmobile travel ever recorded
<chomp>

When snowmobile in Yellowstone is outlawed, only outlaws will snowmobile in
Yellowstone.

yo

Wolfgang
January 15th, 2004, 12:22 AM
"yo" > wrote in message
> "Muskie" > didst type:
>
> <chomp>
> > This is the worst case of off-road snowmobile travel ever recorded
> <chomp>
>
> When snowmobile in Yellowstone is outlawed, only outlaws will snowmobile
in
> Yellowstone.

When stupid is outlawed it will be interesting to watch you and Muskie in
the bighouse shower room when one of you drops his soap.

Wolfgang

Jim Roberts
March 6th, 2004, 05:11 PM
yo wrote:

> "Muskie" > didst type:
>
> <chomp>
>
>>This is the worst case of off-road snowmobile travel ever recorded
>
> <chomp>
>
> When snowmobile in Yellowstone is outlawed, only outlaws will snowmobile in
> Yellowstone.
>
> yo

Yes, the sooner they are eliminated the better. You see so much more on
X-country skis, which the Park would gladly rent to you and laugh as you
fall down 10 times before you manage to get out of sight.

jimbat

Eugene Miya
March 11th, 2004, 05:18 PM
In article >,
Jim Roberts > wrote:
>yo wrote:
>> "Muskie" > didst type:
>>>This is the worst case of off-road snowmobile travel ever recorded
>> When snowmobile in Yellowstone is outlawed, only outlaws will snowmobile in
>> Yellowstone.
>
>Yes, the sooner they are eliminated the better. You see so much more on
>X-country skis, which the Park would gladly rent to you and laugh as you
>fall down 10 times before you manage to get out of sight.

I have encountered some of the stupidest tourists on snowmachines in
West Yellowstone on a trip driving through while helping a friend move
to Calgary from SLC. I have sympathy for the people of West Yellowstone,
but to base their economy and the Park on this stupidity (I suspect
some of the outside Park ATV recreation gets some of this stupidity)
they had better start other sources of income.

Just the mix of cars and snowmachines on their streets in winter
only can give you enough enough experience to see problems.

And this is independent of any alcohol or similar intoxicant stupidity.