PDA

View Full Version : Bio Tech Fish

Willi
January 17th, 2004, 04:50 PM
It appears that there are no Federal governmental agencies that control
the sale of genetically altered fish if they aren't intended for human
consumption.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/2004-01-15-federal-glofish-suit_x.htm

Willi

Tim Lysyk
January 17th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Willi wrote:
> It appears that there are no Federal governmental agencies that control
> the sale of genetically altered fish if they aren't intended for human
> consumption.
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/2004-01-15-federal-glofish-suit_x.htm
>

> Willi

That is an interesting link. I am surprised there are no regulations
governing sale and distribution of genetically modified animals. I
believe there are in other countries. In Canada, use of transgenic
animals in research is tightly regulated, with containment (not allowing
them to escape into the environment) one of the critical issues.

It surprises me that transgenic animals such as this are being sold
comercially.

Tim Lysyk

JR
January 18th, 2004, 12:00 PM
Tim Lysyk wrote:

> That is an interesting link. I am surprised there are no regulations
> governing sale and distribution of genetically modified animals. I
> believe there are in other countries. In Canada, use of transgenic
> animals in research is tightly regulated, with containment (not allowing
> them to escape into the environment) one of the critical issues.
>
> It surprises me that transgenic animals such as this are being sold
> comercially.

You want a surprise? Try to find the agency responsible for testing and
certifying the safety to human health of *any* GMO before it is sold for
food in the U.S.

JR

Tim Lysyk
January 18th, 2004, 03:15 PM
JR wrote:
> You want a surprise? Try to find the agency responsible for testing and
> certifying the safety to human health of *any* GMO before it is sold for
> food in the U.S.
>
> JR

In the US, that is handled by the USDA, EPA, and FDA.

See http://aphisweb.aphis.usda.gov/bbep/bp/overview.html

Tim Lysyk

Wolfgang
January 18th, 2004, 04:17 PM
"JR" > wrote in message ...
> Tim Lysyk wrote:
> >
> > That is an interesting link. I am surprised there are no regulations
> > governing sale and distribution of genetically modified animals. I
> > believe there are in other countries. In Canada, use of transgenic
> > animals in research is tightly regulated, with containment (not allowing
> > them to escape into the environment) one of the critical issues.
> >
> > It surprises me that transgenic animals such as this are being sold
> > comercially.
>
> You want a surprise? Try to find the agency responsible for testing and
> certifying the safety to human health of *any* GMO before it is sold for
> food in the U.S.

Concerns about the safety of genetically modified foods are legitimate, of
course, but should probably be tempered by the knowledge that any of the
items on the following extremely abbreviated list would probably fail to
meet the safety requirements of the FDA or various other regulatory
agencies, advisory panels, etc., if they were newly discovered or introduced
foods today:

alfalfa sprouts - canavanine (arginine mimic; highly toxic to growing
mammals
barley-mycotoxins
broccoli - benzpyrene (carcinogen), goitrin (shuts down thyroid)
cabbage - thiocyanates (shuts down thyroid)
carrots - carotatoxin (neurotoxin)
cassava (manioc) - hydrocyanic acid
celery - psoralins (light-stimulated carcinogens)
chard-oxalic acid
chocolate-caffeine
cocoanut oil-mycotoxins
coffee-caffeine
collards - oxalic acid
corn-mycotoxins
eggplant - nicotine
honey - grayanotoxins
lima beans - cyanogenic glycosides
mushrooms - hydrazines
mustard - allyl isothiocyanate
mustard greens
nutmeg - myristicin (hallucinogen, spasmodic)
okra - sterculic acid (anti-metabolite)
peanuts - aflatoxin (hepatic carcinogen), mycotoxins
peppers - nicotine
potatoes - solanine (toxin; causes spina bifida), chaconine
(neurotoxin)
isoflavones (estrogens), arsenic
radishes - goitrogens
rapeseed - goitrogens
rice-mycotoxins
rye-mycotoxins
soy - genistin, daidzin, coumesterol (estrogens)
soybeans - goitrogens
spinach - phytanic acid (chelates iron - no absorption), oxalic acid
tomatoes - tomatine (neurotoxin), quercetin glycosides (carcinogens)
turnips - goitrogens
wheat germ - phytoestrogens
wheat-mycotoxins

It has been noted, somewhat wryly, that iceberg lettuce is about the
only safe food in the world......and it is virtually devoid of nutrients.
:)

Wolfgang

Willi
January 18th, 2004, 11:13 PM
Tim Lysyk wrote:

> Willi wrote:
>
>> It appears that there are no Federal governmental agencies that
>> control the sale of genetically altered fish if they aren't intended
>> for human consumption.
>>
>> http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techpolicy/2004-01-15-federal-glofish-suit_x.htm
>>

>> Willi
>>

> That is an interesting link. I am surprised there are no regulations
> governing sale and distribution of genetically modified animals. I
> believe there are in other countries. In Canada, use of transgenic
> animals in research is tightly regulated, with containment (not allowing
> them to escape into the environment) one of the critical issues.
>
> It surprises me that transgenic animals such as this are being sold
> comercially.
>
> Tim Lysyk

It surprised me too. It is likely that this fish is innocuous and
wouldn't survive in the wild, but you can never predict what would
happen with a release. More importantly, how about fish or other animals
with modifications that may not be so benign.

Willi

JR
January 19th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Tim Lysyk wrote:

> JR wrote:
> > You want a surprise? Try to find the agency responsible for testing and
> > certifying the safety to human health of *any* GMO before it is sold for
> > food in the U.S.
> >
> > JR
>
> In the US, that is handled by the USDA, EPA, and FDA.

Look deeper. The point is that it is not handled.

JR

Jim Ray
January 19th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Well this certainly explains why I never much liked cabbage or broccoli, but
doesn't explain carrots. I'm already eating more Iceberg lettuce than I
want. This "if-it-tastes-good-spit-it-out" diet is for the birds, but
effective.

Jim Ray
--
email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply