PDA

View Full Version : returning to fly fishing

alex craigie
January 19th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Hi

Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the purchase
of an all round fly rod, I would like use it for bank fishing small rivers
and reservoirs
Length is an issue when bank fishing a river as is line weight.
Is there such a thing as a good compromise? Or should I consider two rods
built for each specific
purpose?

Thanks

Mike Connor
January 19th, 2004, 12:48 PM
"alex craigie" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi
>
> Can anyone point me in the right direction regarding the purchase
> of an all round fly rod, I would like use it for bank fishing small rivers
> and reservoirs
> Length is an issue when bank fishing a river as is line weight.
> Is there such a thing as a good compromise? Or should I consider two rods
> built for each specific
> purpose?
>
> Thanks

There is no such thing as an "all round" fly-rod.

Go for two rods. At least a nine foot #6, maybe even an #8 for bank
fishing ( Depends where, and what for).

For small rivers, an 8 foot or 8 foot 6" #4 to #5 weight.(Although the
longest rod you can comfortably use is the best).

There really is no "Good" compromise, but you will probably get away with a
nine foot #6 for both purposes.

As for specific rods, this depends where you live, and what you have access
to, or are prepared to pay. Could it be Scotland?

TL
MC