PDA

View Full Version : OT - Ohio Fly Rod Crafters?

Jim Ray
January 19th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Folks,

My business has been contacted for a donation by a fellow who says he is
representing a 350 member organization called the Ohio Fly Rod Crafters. I
have Googled them using every listing I could imagine, without success. Has
anyone out there ever heard of such an organization, and if so, do you have
any information about them. Not to be overly pessimistic, but it smells an
awful lot like a scam.

Thanks,

Jim Ray

--
email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply

Mike Connor
January 19th, 2004, 11:49 PM
"Jim Ray" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Folks,
>
> My business has been contacted for a donation by a fellow who says he is
> representing a 350 member organization called the Ohio Fly Rod Crafters. I
> have Googled them using every listing I could imagine, without success.
Has
> anyone out there ever heard of such an organization, and if so, do you
have
> any information about them. Not to be overly pessimistic, but it smells an
> awful lot like a scam.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Ray
>
> --
> email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply

Anybody who wants a "donation" is suspect to start with. Tell them to bugger
off, and give anything you have in excess of your personal requirements,
(!!!!!!!!), to a deserving charity, preferably one of those who publishes
what they do with the money.

Good luck searching!

TL
MC

JohnR
January 20th, 2004, 02:19 AM
Check with the folks at www.rodbuilding.org. They may know of these folks
and if they don't, you don't want to know them.

Hope this helps.

"Jim Ray" > wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> My business has been contacted for a donation by a fellow who says he is
> representing a 350 member organization called the Ohio Fly Rod Crafters. I
> have Googled them using every listing I could imagine, without success.
Has
> anyone out there ever heard of such an organization, and if so, do you
have
> any information about them. Not to be overly pessimistic, but it smells an
> awful lot like a scam.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Ray
>
> --
> email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply

Cornmuse
January 20th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Jim

I am a Board Member of The Ohio Smallmouth Alliance and a member of the
Buckeye Fly Fishers, local Trout Unlimited, etc... I have lived in Ohio for
twenty years, attended the BUFF Fly Fishing Show every year for five years
and I have never seen them exhibit and I have never heard of them before.
My guess is that they are not a legit outfit. Any real non-profit group
would be registered with the state as a 501-C-3 corporation, you may want to
search that way.

Joe C.

"Jim Ray" > wrote in message
> Folks,
>
> My business has been contacted for a donation by a fellow who says he is
> representing a 350 member organization called the Ohio Fly Rod Crafters. I
> have Googled them using every listing I could imagine, without success.
Has
> anyone out there ever heard of such an organization, and if so, do you
have
> any information about them. Not to be overly pessimistic, but it smells an
> awful lot like a scam.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim Ray
>
> --
> email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply

Jim Ray
January 20th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Mike:

Actually, when you run a business, you find that someone is asking for a
product donation almost every day. Most are legitimate, and worthy, and I
give to almost all of them. I would probably not be aware of these
organization's activities, or needs, unless they contacted me first.
Occasionally I am contacted by someone who's story just doesn't sound
legitimate, as in this situation. Often, it turns out that an enthusiastic
member lacking in business acumen has simply sent me a poorly written
proposal and the organization behind the request is quite worthy. I hope
that to be the case here. Nevertheless, due diligence is in order.

Thanks,

Jim

--
email SPAM countermeasures require removal of allnails to reply
s.com...