PDA

View Full Version : OT weird bird ...

Larry L
January 21st, 2004, 09:55 PM
I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I ain't
:-) about him, that is driving me nuts.

I tried to get a photo of him "in the act" but it didn't come out, here is
the best I could do

http://www.kimshew.com/weirdbird.jpg

"The act," and he's been doing this for two months or more, is to fly down
to my truck and flap and hover while pecking at the outside rear view
mirrors ! He does this for hours, some days.

Any of you BirdBuffs out there know what kind of bird he is and have any
idea "why" he does this? Mainly I'm just curious, but it would be nice to
stop him without causing him harm, as he craps all over both sides of the
truck and dirties the mirrors so much I have to clean them nearly every time
I need to drive.

<g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting the
mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>

Lennie Richardson
January 21st, 2004, 10:07 PM
It looks like a plain old mockingbird from here.

I'd guess it's a male. They're famous for rampant testosterone levels, which
makes them combative toward everything, including their own reflections.

"Larry L" > wrote in message
> I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
> are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I ain't
> :-) about him, that is driving me nuts.
>
> I tried to get a photo of him "in the act" but it didn't come out, here is
> the best I could do
>
> http://www.kimshew.com/weirdbird.jpg
>
> "The act," and he's been doing this for two months or more, is to fly down
> to my truck and flap and hover while pecking at the outside rear view
> mirrors ! He does this for hours, some days.
>
> Any of you BirdBuffs out there know what kind of bird he is and have any
> idea "why" he does this? Mainly I'm just curious, but it would be nice
> stop him without causing him harm, as he craps all over both sides of the
> truck and dirties the mirrors so much I have to clean them nearly every
time
> I need to drive.
>

> <g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting
the
> mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>

daytripper
January 21st, 2004, 10:07 PM
On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:55:42 GMT, "Larry L"
> wrote:

>I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
>are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I ain't
>:-) about him, that is driving me nuts.
>
>I tried to get a photo of him "in the act" but it didn't come out, here is
>the best I could do
>
>http://www.kimshew.com/weirdbird.jpg
>
>"The act," and he's been doing this for two months or more, is to fly down
>to my truck and flap and hover while pecking at the outside rear view
>mirrors ! He does this for hours, some days.
>
>Any of you BirdBuffs out there know what kind of bird he is and have any
>idea "why" he does this? Mainly I'm just curious, but it would be nice to
>stop him without causing him harm, as he craps all over both sides of the
>truck and dirties the mirrors so much I have to clean them nearly every time
>I need to drive.
>

><g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting the
>mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>

Looks like a mockingbird from here....

Memphis Jim
January 21st, 2004, 10:10 PM
I don't know; my orthinological credentials have never been verified, but
what you have there is a mockingbird (down here in Memphis, we refer to them
as catbirds in deference to Harper Lee (Truman Capote . . . and Boo Radley)
Quick, who played Boo Radley in the movie? Don't check the internet!

That mockingbird either thinks that the reflection in the rear-view mirror
is something to eat, or he thinks that the reflection is an mockingbird in
his territory.

Of course, I could be wrong about all of this (except the Boo Radley stuff,
that's a favorite piece of trivia).

Memphis Jim

"Larry L" > wrote in message
> I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
> are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I ain't
> :-) about him, that is driving me nuts.
>
> I tried to get a photo of him "in the act" but it didn't come out, here is
> the best I could do
>
> http://www.kimshew.com/weirdbird.jpg
>
> "The act," and he's been doing this for two months or more, is to fly down
> to my truck and flap and hover while pecking at the outside rear view
> mirrors ! He does this for hours, some days.
>
> Any of you BirdBuffs out there know what kind of bird he is and have any
> idea "why" he does this? Mainly I'm just curious, but it would be nice
> stop him without causing him harm, as he craps all over both sides of the
> truck and dirties the mirrors so much I have to clean them nearly every
time
> I need to drive.
>

> <g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting
the
> mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>

Willi
January 21st, 2004, 10:12 PM
Larry L wrote:

> I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
> are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I ain't
> :-) about him, that is driving me nuts.
>
> I tried to get a photo of him "in the act" but it didn't come out, here is
> the best I could do
>
> http://www.kimshew.com/weirdbird.jpg
>
> "The act," and he's been doing this for two months or more, is to fly down
> to my truck and flap and hover while pecking at the outside rear view
> mirrors ! He does this for hours, some days.
>
> Any of you BirdBuffs out there know what kind of bird he is and have any
> idea "why" he does this? Mainly I'm just curious, but it would be nice to
> stop him without causing him harm, as he craps all over both sides of the
> truck and dirties the mirrors so much I have to clean them nearly every time
> I need to drive.
>

> <g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting the
> mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>

Looks like it might be a Gray Jay? They're called camp robbers here in
CO. Very tolerant of people and like to cause "trouble." They'll steal
food and small assorted objects, often brightly colored ones.

My guess is that he sees himself in the mirror and doesn't like what he
sees!

Willi

Tim J.
January 21st, 2004, 10:13 PM
"Larry L" > wrote in message
> I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
> are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look"
<snip>

mockingbird

> <g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting the
> mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>

wayno IS a nice name for a bird. :))
--
TL,
Tim

SnakeFiddler
January 21st, 2004, 10:19 PM
"Larry L" > wrote in message
> I have a small gray bird here, <snip>>
>>
> http://www.kimshew.com/weirdbird.jpg
>
> <snip>

> Any of you BirdBuffs out there know what kind of bird he is

<snip>>

without question, what you have there is a mockinbird- also known as the
Mimus Polyglottos- one of my VERY favorites...

Snake

Russell
January 21st, 2004, 10:41 PM
Larry L wrote:
<snip bird doo>

I was at first inclined to agree with Willie, but after some Googleing
I'm tending to go with the Mockingbird crowd. Check out:

http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i7030id.html

Is that it?

Russell

Memphis Jim
January 21st, 2004, 10:41 PM
Make that in deference to James Thurber, Duh!

Memphis Jim

"Memphis Jim" > wrote in message
> I don't know; my orthinological credentials have never been verified, but
> what you have there is a mockingbird (down here in Memphis, we refer to
them
> as catbirds in deference to Harper Lee (Truman Capote . . . and Boo
Radley)
> Quick, who played Boo Radley in the movie? Don't check the internet!
>
> That mockingbird either thinks that the reflection in the rear-view mirror
> is something to eat, or he thinks that the reflection is an mockingbird in
> his territory.
>
> Of course, I could be wrong about all of this (except the Boo Radley
stuff,
> that's a favorite piece of trivia).
>
> Memphis Jim
>
> "Larry L" > wrote in message
> > I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
> > are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I
ain't
> > :-) about him, that is driving me nuts.
> >
> > I tried to get a photo of him "in the act" but it didn't come out, here
is
> > the best I could do
> >
> > http://www.kimshew.com/weirdbird.jpg
> >
> > "The act," and he's been doing this for two months or more, is to fly
down
> > to my truck and flap and hover while pecking at the outside rear view
> > mirrors ! He does this for hours, some days.
> >
> > Any of you BirdBuffs out there know what kind of bird he is and have
any
> > idea "why" he does this? Mainly I'm just curious, but it would be nice
> > stop him without causing him harm, as he craps all over both sides of
the
> > truck and dirties the mirrors so much I have to clean them nearly every
> time
> > I need to drive.
> >

> > <g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting
> the
> > mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>

rb608
January 21st, 2004, 10:41 PM
"Memphis Jim" > wrote in message
> Quick, who played Boo Radley in the movie?

Robert Duvall

> Don't check the internet!

Nope. Didn't need to.

Joe F.

Memphis Jim
January 21st, 2004, 10:42 PM
Very good Mr. Joe. But where Duvall's girlfriend from?

(I watch 60 Minutes ocassionally).

Memphis Jim

"rb608" > wrote in message

> "Memphis Jim" > wrote in message
> > Quick, who played Boo Radley in the movie?
>
> Robert Duvall
>
> > Don't check the internet!
>
> Nope. Didn't need to.
>
> Joe F.

Dave LaCourse
January 21st, 2004, 10:43 PM
Mocking bird. If you hear him/her singing, look for him/her to be at the
highest point - chimney, tv antenna, etc. They'll come to bird feeders -
especially now in cold weather.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Wayne Harrison
January 21st, 2004, 10:44 PM
"Memphis Jim" > wrote > Quick, who played Boo
Radley in the movie? Don't check the internet!

robert duvall. ho hum.

yfitons
wayno (and to think, he went from boo to gus macrae in only one lifetime.)

Stan Gula
January 21st, 2004, 10:47 PM
"Memphis Jim" > wrote in message
> I don't know; my orthinological credentials have never been verified, but
> what you have there is a mockingbird (down here in Memphis, we refer to
them
> as catbirds in deference to Harper Lee

The OP's photo is definitely a mockingbird. I'm curious Jim, if you call
mockingbirds catbirds, what do you call a *real* catbird? The catbird looks
somewhat similar (mostly gray, same size), but they have a distinctive dark
'cap' and a *very* distinctive call (like a cat's meow).

Mike Connor
January 21st, 2004, 10:47 PM
"Larry L" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
<SNIP>
> Any of you BirdBuffs out there know what kind of bird he is and have any
> idea "why" he does this? Mainly I'm just curious, but it would be nice
> stop him without causing him harm, as he craps all over both sides of the
> truck and dirties the mirrors so much I have to clean them nearly every
time
> I need to drive.

<SNIP>

To kill a ?

Best not. There are worse things that crappy mirrors.

TL
MC

Wayne Harrison
January 21st, 2004, 10:51 PM
"Tim J." > wrote

> > <g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting
the
> > mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>
>
> wayno IS a nice name for a bird. :))
> --
> TL,
> Tim

wail, now, son, you done gone and **** in yore hat with me! pick
you'uns a second (make it that sorry assed ol pirate, would be my
suggestion), and name yore weapon. ah will meet you'uns down to the
intersection of 49 and 52, just south of pfeiffer college, about dawn, on
easter mornin' (it'll be a nahce tahm for you'uns to take yore leave,
permanent laahk). any futher communications should be directed to james
macdonald roberts, esq, late of pitt county, north carolina.

yffitons
wayno
> ------------------------
> http://css.sbcma.com/timj

Memphis Jim
January 21st, 2004, 11:04 PM
I was really making a joke more than anything else. It was my long-time
understanding that catbird and mockingbird were just variant names for the
same critter. However, a google search shows that that is not the case.

Let's go back to arguing over whether rainbow trout and steelhead are the
same thing.

Memphis Jim

Larry
January 22nd, 2004, 12:04 AM
Larry L wrote:

> I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
> are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I ain't
> :-) about him, that is driving me nuts.

Female Scrub Jay

Larry
January 22nd, 2004, 12:17 AM
Larry L wrote:

> I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
> are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I
> ain't about him, that is driving me nuts.

This is a male, but the females are all gray. The one pictured is a
"Western Scrub Jay"

http://www.wildtexas.com/wildguides/scrubjay.php

but there are also "Florida Scrub Jays" which as I understand it are
endangered....

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/nimages/ornith/gallery/escrja.htm

rw
January 22nd, 2004, 12:22 AM
Larry L wrote:

> I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
> are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I ain't
> :-) about him, that is driving me nuts.
>
> I tried to get a photo of him "in the act" but it didn't come out, here is
> the best I could do
>
> http://www.kimshew.com/weirdbird.jpg
>
> "The act," and he's been doing this for two months or more, is to fly down
> to my truck and flap and hover while pecking at the outside rear view
> mirrors ! He does this for hours, some days.
>
> Any of you BirdBuffs out there know what kind of bird he is and have any
> idea "why" he does this? Mainly I'm just curious, but it would be nice to
> stop him without causing him harm, as he craps all over both sides of the
> truck and dirties the mirrors so much I have to clean them nearly every time
> I need to drive.
>

> <g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting the
> mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>

Mockingbird. No doubt about it.

They're very interesting birds. We have lots of them in my neighborhood
in Menlo Park. In the spring breeding season they have amazingly diverse
calls, imitating everything from other birds (most commonly), to
slamming screen doors, to car alarms. During full-moon nights they keep
me awake. If you whistle something common, like a robin song, they're
likely to reply.

SnakeFiddler
January 22nd, 2004, 12:31 AM
"Larry" > wrote in message

> Larry L wrote:
>
> > I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
> > are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I
ain't
> > :-) about him, that is driving me nuts.
>
> Female Scrub Jay

no way :-) - the scrub jay lacks the type of markings on the underside of
its wings that the mockingbird has--

Snake

B J Conner
January 22nd, 2004, 12:34 AM
Does it look like this?
http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/htmsl/h7030pi.jpg
IT's the wrong time of the year to hear them sing but when you do it's easy
to tell if it's a mocking bird. Their song is one of the joys of a summer
evening.
Another good reason to kill a cat.

"Larry L" > wrote in message
> I have a small gray bird here, with white wing patches that
> are very distinct when he flies, and a "sorta 'Jay' look" ( birder I ain't
> :-) about him, that is driving me nuts.
>
> I tried to get a photo of him "in the act" but it didn't come out, here is
> the best I could do
>
> http://www.kimshew.com/weirdbird.jpg
>
> "The act," and he's been doing this for two months or more, is to fly down
> to my truck and flap and hover while pecking at the outside rear view
> mirrors ! He does this for hours, some days.
>
> Any of you BirdBuffs out there know what kind of bird he is and have any
> idea "why" he does this? Mainly I'm just curious, but it would be nice
> stop him without causing him harm, as he craps all over both sides of the
> truck and dirties the mirrors so much I have to clean them nearly every
time
> I need to drive.
>

> <g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting
the
> mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>

Dave LaCourse
January 22nd, 2004, 12:49 AM
SnakeFiddler writes:

>no way :-) - the scrub jay lacks the type of markings on the underside of
>its wings that the mockingbird has--
>
>Snake

I concur. Plus, I believe there is little difference between the male and the
female in the Jay family.
Dave

http://hometown.aol.com/davplac/myhomepage/index.html

Mark W. Oots
January 22nd, 2004, 01:25 AM
What I want to know is this: Are there any good trout patterns that you
could use the feathers for? ;-)

Mark

---

rb608
January 22nd, 2004, 01:41 AM
"Wayne Harrison" > wrote in message
> (and to think, he went from boo to gus macrae in only one lifetime.)

I just rented "Open Range" last night. Pretty good job on that one as well.

Joe F.

Wayne Harrison
January 22nd, 2004, 02:44 AM
"rb608" > wrote

> I just rented "Open Range" last night. Pretty good job on that one as
well.

> Joe F.

ah, but joey, when he slaps the surly bartender up side the head with a
walker colt, saying, all we need is a drink and a little respect, "sublime"
just isn't enough of a compliment. and then, the manner in which he
delivers: "by god, woodrow, it ain't dyin' i'm talkin' about; it's
*livin*!--hellfire, i just can't handle it.

yrfitons
wayno

Tim J.
January 22nd, 2004, 03:04 PM
"Wayne Harrison" wrote...
> "Tim J." wrote...
>
> > > <g> since his behavior is so aberrant, and I spend so much time deleting
> the
> > > mess he leaves behind, I've named him after a favorite roffian <G>
> >
> > wayno IS a nice name for a bird. :))
>
> wail, now, son, you done gone and **** in yore hat with me! pick
> you'uns a second (make it that sorry assed ol pirate, would be my
> suggestion), and name yore weapon.

Portuguese at 20 paces.

> ah will meet you'uns down to the
> intersection of 49 and 52, just south of pfeiffer college, about dawn, on
> easter mornin' (it'll be a nahce tahm for you'uns to take yore leave,
> permanent laahk). any futher communications should be directed to james
> macdonald roberts, esq, late of pitt county, north carolina.

Um, never mind. I've heard too many PJR stories. . . <shiver>
--
TL,
Tim

BJ Conner
January 22nd, 2004, 04:52 PM
Cat fur is more useful. More colors available. More fun too, the new
17 rim fire magnum is perfect for the dumb *******s. <%^)

"Mark W. Oots" <mark_ctc@(delete this)ameritech.net> wrote in message >...
> What I want to know is this: Are there any good trout patterns that you
> could use the feathers for? ;-)
>
> Mark
>

> ---

George Cleveland
January 22nd, 2004, 05:17 PM
On 22 Jan 2004 08:52:59 -0800, (BJ Conner) wrote:

>Cat fur is more useful. More colors available. More fun too, the new
>17 rim fire magnum is perfect for the dumb *******s. <%^)
>

>"Mark W. Oots" <mark_ctc@(delete this)ameritech.net> wrote in message >...
>> What I want to know is this: Are there any good trout patterns that you
>> could use the feathers for? ;-)
>>
>> Mark
>>

>> ---

Cats can be pretty weird too.