PDA

View Full Version : Radio Tagging

Chas Wade
January 24th, 2004, 09:25 AM
I had a nice talk with one of the Olympic National Park rangers this
week about Dolly Varden. He told me that there is a radio tagging
study going on in the park now that's beginning to produce some
interesting results.

I asked him about mortality of tagged fish, and he said they aren't
having any troubles with it. One fish got away before the guy
installing the tag had finished sewing him up. They tracked the fish
straight out of the Hoh and down to the salt where he disapeared. They
figured he'd died and drifted down, but 6 months later he showed up in
the Queets, and they've been tracking him there for a hear abd a half
now. Several other fish tagged 2 years ago are still wandering up and
down the rivers, and the ones tagged more recently are in good shape
too.

I gave him my email address, and he's going to ask the researchers to
contact me with whatever data they're willing to part with now.

I'll report what I learn as the info comes in.

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

January 25th, 2004, 01:09 AM
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 09:25:35 GMT, Chas Wade
> wrote:

>I asked him about mortality of tagged fish, and he said they aren't
>having any troubles with it.

It's nice to know that radio tagging is relatively harmless. I
assumed some mortality, but figured the data on this sort of thing
would be worth it (to us, not the mortal fish).

You talk to some interesting and informative people.
--

rbc:vixen,Minnow Goddess,Willow Watcher,and all that sort of thing.
Often taunted by trout.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli