PDA

View Full Version : Appalachain Anglers

SnakeFiddler
January 24th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Inspired by this beautiful, relatively warm day in Boone, I decided to pay
the folks at Appalachian Anglers a visit to find out a little bit about fly
fishin lessons. They seem like a nice couple of guys.
Any of you North Carolina fly fishers familiar with the place? If so, what
do you think of them?

Snake

--
SnakeFiddler

Uncle Mac
January 24th, 2004, 09:51 PM
"SnakeFiddler" > wrote in message
> Inspired by this beautiful, relatively warm day in Boone, I decided to pay
> the folks at Appalachian Anglers a visit to find out a little bit about
fly
> fishin lessons.

Great guys, the Copelands. Over the years they have established themselves
as the best retail shop in the Boone area. Considering their experience,
they both should be able to teach everything from small stream fishing to
tailwaters. When you accumulate enough "dead presidents", consider a trip
to their camp in Alaska!

Uncle Mac

I called Pizza Hut and ordered a thin and crispy Supreme. They sent me
Dianna Ross.

Lennie Richardson
January 24th, 2004, 11:19 PM
"SnakeFiddler" > wrote in message
> Inspired by this beautiful, relatively warm day in Boone, I decided to pay
> the folks at Appalachian Anglers a visit to find out a little bit about
fly
> fishin lessons. They seem like a nice couple of guys.
> Any of you North Carolina fly fishers familiar with the place? If so,
what
> do you think of them?
>
> Snake
>
> --
> SnakeFiddler

They're nice enough folks, but I have a friend who owns a fly shop and guide
service in Morganton, so he gets all my business.

Tom Littleton
January 24th, 2004, 11:27 PM
Lennie writes:
> but I have a friend who owns a fly shop and guide
>service in Morganton, so he gets all my business.

there's a fly shop in Morganton?<bseg>

Tom

Tom Littleton
January 24th, 2004, 11:36 PM
I wondered:
>there's a fly shop in Morganton?<bseg>

well, shoot, that would explain this hat I have in the tying room!
Tom

daytripper
January 24th, 2004, 11:44 PM
On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:51:47 GMT, "Uncle Mac" > wrote:
[snipped]
>I called Pizza Hut and ordered a thin and crispy Supreme. They sent me
>Dianna Ross.

<splork!> OMG that's funny!

Wayne Knight
January 25th, 2004, 03:11 AM
"SnakeFiddler" > wrote in message
> Any of you North Carolina fly fishers familiar with the place? If so,
what
> do you think of them?

Before a certain used book dealer built a store front in Morganton, I used
to the consider the Appalachian Angler to be the finest fly shop between
Asheville NC and south of Grand Rapids MI

Jeff Miller
January 25th, 2004, 03:15 PM
theo and hayden copeland are among the best fly-fishermen and flyshop
owners in the area. you can't go wrong with them, and they are always
interested in helping new anglers discover the joy of shoppi...uh, i
mean flyfishing. <g> seriously, great guys and i'm told they are
excellent instructors. years ago, theo taught me the surgeons loop for
nymph fishing. i was just wandering about the shop and he struck up a
conversation with me as if i was a friend he'd been fishing with for
some time.

before i met wally, app anglers was my favorite and preferred shop. imo,
it was the best open shop in the boone area. however, when you decide
to begin acquiring stuff - and you will - be sure to take the pleasant
drive down 181 to morganton and visit walt's shop too.

SnakeFiddler wrote:

> Inspired by this beautiful, relatively warm day in Boone, I decided to pay
> the folks at Appalachian Anglers a visit to find out a little bit about fly
> fishin lessons. They seem like a nice couple of guys.
> Any of you North Carolina fly fishers familiar with the place? If so, what
> do you think of them?
>
> Snake
>
> --
> SnakeFiddler

January 27th, 2004, 09:32 PM
My buddy and I stopped in Boone for a couple nights on the way down to GSMNP
back in June 2000. We mostly stopped to drink beer and check out the town,
but we drove around and found two flyshops - one in town and then
Appalachian Anglers. We talked fishing for a few minutes, explained our
situation, and asked for some recommendations. The guy at the flyshop
downtown was cute and evasive, pretty much of a prick, the guys at
Appalachian Anglers pulled out maps, drew up stools behind the counter, and
we proceeded to have a great conversation. Then some guy pulled up in a
Vanagon, you could tell he pretty much lived in the van and fished, and he
came in to talk. My buddy and I made a point of buying some stuff we didn't
exactly need (a hat, a chest pack, a bunch of flies, etc.), and the couple
streams they put us on provided us with non-stop, small to medium-sized,
non-selective trout. Just what we asked for. It's a great place and they
were super hospitable, it was a great balance of comfortably talking for a
while and then getting pretty much perfect dope.

Wayne Harrison
January 27th, 2004, 10:03 PM
<ricky rickett> wrote

Just what we asked for. It's a great place and they
> were super hospitable, it was a great balance of comfortably talking for a
> while and then getting pretty much perfect dope.

the boys at appalachian anglers had better prepare for a visitor from
the great state of massachussetts, unless i miss my guess...

yfitons
wayno (and the key word is *not* "hospitality")

January 27th, 2004, 10:30 PM
> Just what we asked for. It's a great place and they
> > were super hospitable, it was a great balance of comfortably talking for
> > while and then getting pretty much perfect dope.
>

> the boys at appalachian anglers had better prepare for a visitor from
> the great state of massachussetts, unless i miss my guess...
>
> yfitons
> wayno (and the key word is *not* "hospitality")

But you can get *that* anywhere in Boone . . .