PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo rod question

Marshall Krasser
January 25th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Hi all,

I tried a Google search on ROFF, and could not find a recent discussion
on this topic - so sorry if I am a broken record.

o.k., lets say you wanted to buy a "nice" bamboo rod without breaking the bank,
where would you start? I just got back from the Orvis store and their bamboo's
looked o.k. $1.8K [I would need to "schedule" an appointment to try one - oh
Please!!!]. I looked at the Winston site {$2-3K Hmm, ouch?}. I am mainly looking
for a good bamboo trout rod that will last me at least 40 more years :)

Warren, you had a nice one - but it was a custom build by a friend
correct? I'm not in a rush, but if I'm going to hit the '04 western
clave - I would like to have it for that trip. I'm guessing a 5 or 6 wt
would do. Length? I don't know 8-9 ft.

Any thoughts would be appreciated [did I actually say ANY?].

Thanks, M

--
NOTE: Please remove "MY_WADERS" from my return Email address
if you wish to reply directly. Thanks, M

Cane Rods
January 25th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Based on your comments below it sounds like you may be fishing Western
Rivers. In that case I would probably use a 8' 5 or 6 wt rod. Not so big
that you can't use it in tight places, but big enough to handle almost any
situation. There are several sources, both makers and dealers, that would
be glad to help you choose a rod that wouldn't "break the bank". Listed
below are a few places you can check out. In addition, I would post your
question on Clarks Classic Fly Rod Forum,
http://pub180.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum . You can get some good
advice, review postings of rods for sale, and ask any question that comes to
mind. Good Luck. Jim

Bamboo Rod Dealers

http://www.codella.com/
http://ronsrods.freeyellow.com/page12.html - Ron's Rods
http://www.bamboo-rods.com/

"Marshall Krasser" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I tried a Google search on ROFF, and could not find a recent discussion
> on this topic - so sorry if I am a broken record.
>
> o.k., lets say you wanted to buy a "nice" bamboo rod without breaking the
bank,
> where would you start? I just got back from the Orvis store and their
bamboo's
> looked o.k. $1.8K [I would need to "schedule" an appointment to try one -
oh
> Please!!!]. I looked at the Winston site {$2-3K Hmm, ouch?}. I am mainly
looking
> for a good bamboo trout rod that will last me at least 40 more years :)
>
> Warren, you had a nice one - but it was a custom build by a friend
> correct? I'm not in a rush, but if I'm going to hit the '04 western
> clave - I would like to have it for that trip. I'm guessing a 5 or 6 wt
> would do. Length? I don't know 8-9 ft.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated [did I actually say ANY?].
>
> Thanks, M
>

> --
> NOTE: Please remove "MY_WADERS" from my return Email address
> if you wish to reply directly. Thanks, M

Wayne Knight
January 25th, 2004, 01:52 AM
"Marshall Krasser" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I tried a Google search on ROFF, and could not find a recent discussion
> on this topic - so sorry if I am a broken record.
>
> o.k., lets say you wanted to buy a "nice" bamboo rod without breaking the
bank,
> where would you start? I just got back from the Orvis store and their
bamboo's
> looked o.k. $1.8K [I would need to "schedule" an appointment to try one -
oh
> Please!!!]. I looked at the Winston site {$2-3K Hmm, ouch?}. I am mainly
looking
> for a good bamboo trout rod that will last me at least 40 more years :)

there are any number of fine bamboo rod makers who sell rods and won't break
the bank so to speak.

I've not been in the buying mode that I was a few years ago so I am not
current on the latest prices and models but when I see a used Mauer or
Shoeder rod, I take an interest and try to obtain them. AJ Thramer makes a
very fine impregnated rod for under $1,000. There's alway ebay just be
careful what you're bidding on.

A good reference point for new and used cane rod prices can be found at
http://ronsrods.freeyellow.com/page16.html

Big Dale
January 25th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Marshall wrote:snip>o.k., lets say you wanted to buy a "nice" bamboo rod
without breaking the
>bank,
>where would you start?

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but most bamboo rodmakers
want you to try their rods. each year at the FFF Southern Council Conclave in
Mountain Home, Arkansas on the first weekend of October there are always at
least three boo rodmakers in attendence where you could try their rods and a
couple of other dealers that sell used boo rods you could try. Leo Eck donates
one of his rods to the auction each year and they can usualy be bought for
somewhere in the 400 to 500 buck range. These conclaves are scattered all
around the country. Whenever I have been in Mike Clark's rod shop he has some
used rods you could try and not have to wait a couple of years for him to make
you one of his. bamboo takes a little more care than graphite, but not a whole
lot. I would think any of these rods would last a lifetime with a little care.

Big Dale

Lazarus Cooke
January 25th, 2004, 01:44 PM
In article >, Marshall Krasser
> wrote:

> Warren, you had a nice one - but it was a custom build by a friend
> correct? I'm not in a rush, but if I'm going to hit the '04 western
> clave - I would like to have it for that trip. I'm guessing a 5 or 6 wt
> would do. Length? I don't know 8-9 ft.

Although I think any graphite rod has to have a good reason for being
much over or under 9 foot, I wouldn't fish cane over 8 foot without a
very good reason indeed.

Have you thought of buying second hand? I fish in the UK with Hardy
Palakonas, bought second hand at a couple of hundred dollars or less
each.

Lazarus

--
Remover the rock from the email address