PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Lake Texoma

Big Dale
January 25th, 2004, 10:20 AM
With the recent nice weather, it sure is nice to wear shorts and sandals now
that the temp is back up into the '60's again I decided to play with my Temple
Fork 3 weight rod. I pointed the truck North as I stuck the Buddy Holly CD in
the player and noticed that instead of the usual high winds the flags were just
hanging by the flag post. Damn this is going to be fun! I needed some advice,
so I stopped by Bruce Highsmith's office, he is the wildlife biologist for the
Texhoma region for our Parks and Wildife department. I had not seen him for a
couple of years and I enjoyed visiting with him for an hour or so and got from
him an e-mail address for a contact for someone with the new flyfishing club
that is forming in the area.

Drove on over to the lake and worked the shoreline of a cove with a black cap
spider on the little 3 weight rod. Played with it for about an hour and a half.
Sure do like the way the rod casts. Caught 9 slightly over hand sized bluegill
and a couple of bass the largest of which was about 16 inches long. Both the
bass were largemouth. Sometimes I catch smallmouth on Texhoma, but not today.
It was fun.

It is nice to wear the shorts again and have a day when the wind is less that
25 mph.

As I pointed the truck South, I put Springsteen's Greatest Hits CD in the
player and The Boss started singing Born To Run.

Life is good. You guys need to get out and play with a rod for an hour or so.
Sure helps the attitude.

Big Dale

Tim J.
January 25th, 2004, 12:43 PM
"Big Dale" wrote...
<snipped nice TR>
> Life is good. You guys need to get out and play with a rod for an hour or so.
> Sure helps the attitude.

It sounds like a blast. Just send some of that warm weather this way, Dale. -4°
F here this morning with wind chills at -15.
--
TL,
Tim

Wayne Knight
January 25th, 2004, 02:19 PM
"Big Dale" > wrote in message
> You guys need to get out and play with a rod for an hour or so.
> Sure helps the attitude.

there's a joke there somewhere but my wife is standing over my shoulder.

nice report

Wayne Knight
January 25th, 2004, 02:20 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> It sounds like a blast. Just send some of that warm weather this way,
Dale. -4°
> F here this morning with wind chills at -15.

Damn Republican sissy, that theres steelhead weather boy!

Tim J.
January 25th, 2004, 02:32 PM
"Wayne Knight" wrote...
> "Tim J." wrote...
> >
> > It sounds like a blast. Just send some of that warm
> > weather this way, Dale. -4° F here this morning
> ? with wind chills at -15.
>
> Damn Republican sissy, that theres steelhead weather boy!

No, Wayne, you have it all wrong. We Republicans just order other people out in
this weather to do our fishing. ;-) The wind chills are now up to -28, BTW.
That there's coffee drinkin' weather.
--
TL,
Tim

Wayne Knight
January 25th, 2004, 02:46 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> No, Wayne, you have it all wrong. We Republicans just order other people
out in
> this weather to do our fishing. ;-) The wind chills are now up to -28,
BTW.
> That there's coffee drinkin' weather.
> --

Five cups this morning as Indianapolis braces for it's first significant
winter storm of the season. The pond in back of my house is frozen and the
wind chills here are in the minus single digits, I can only think, I need to
get back to Georgia. For a minute yesterday, I thought I was back south as I
went into the local super market just to pick up some sodas and flour and
saw the empty bread and milk aisles.

Wayne
steelheading next weekend, don't care how cold it's going to be.

Wolfgang
January 25th, 2004, 03:13 PM
"Tim J." > wrote in message

> "Wayne Knight" wrote...
> > "Tim J." wrote...
> > >
> > > It sounds like a blast. Just send some of that warm
> > > weather this way, Dale. -4° F here this morning
> > ? with wind chills at -15.
> >
> > Damn Republican sissy, that theres steelhead weather boy!
>
> No, Wayne, you have it all wrong. We Republicans just order other people
out in
> this weather to do our fishing. ;-) The wind chills are now up to -28,
BTW.
> That there's coffee drinkin' weather.

Hm......none of my business, of course, but if I were in your position I'd
put a bit of anti-freeze in that coffee.

Wolfgang
burst pipes are an ugly thing to behold. :(

Big Dale
January 25th, 2004, 06:59 PM
Tim wrote:>It sounds like a blast. Just send some of that warm weather this
way, Dale.
>-4°
>F here this morning with wind chills at -15.

I will think of you in August when it is 112 around here.

Big Dale