PDA

View Full Version : New travel rod

Osmo Jauhiainen
January 27th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Hi you all!

One guy here is going to sell Loop Blueline 9' 6-piece #5-#6
travel rod, hardly used at all, for a reasonable price.
Any opinions about this particular rod?

Thanks in forehand!

OsmoJ

Stephen Welsh
January 28th, 2004, 09:09 PM
"Osmo Jauhiainen" > wrote in news:
:

> Hi you all!

Ah, yeah ... g'day.

> One guy here is going to sell Loop Blueline 9' 6-piece #5-#6
> travel rod, hardly used at all, for a reasonable price.
> Any opinions about this particular rod?

Cast it (with the intended reel and line if possible),
if you like it, and if it will do the job you require of it, buy it!

> Thanks in forehand!

You're welcome (in backhand of course ;-)

Steve

Osmo Jauhiainen
January 29th, 2004, 09:27 AM
"Stephen Welsh" > kirjoitti
viestissä:Xns947F5303BF072stevemailcssemonashe@130 .133.1.4...
> "Osmo Jauhiainen" <...> wrote in news:
> :
>
> > Hi you all!
>
> Ah, yeah ... g'day.
>

> > One guy here is going to sell Loop Blueline 9' 6-piece #5-#6
> > travel rod, hardly used at all, for a reasonable price.
> > Any opinions about this particular rod?
>
> Cast it (with the intended reel and line if possible),
> if you like it, and if it will do the job you require of it, buy it!

Thanks, Steve!
I'm going to visit today the local fishing gear shop, where this
guy promised to bring the rod. But your testing method is not
working at this time of the year! We have winter here and the
snowcover is 15-20 inch thick. Have to keep the rod in my hands and
wave it inside.

Is there really noone owning this stick or having used it earlier?

OsmoJ

riverman
January 29th, 2004, 01:40 PM
"Osmo Jauhiainen" > wrote in message

> "Stephen Welsh" > kirjoitti
> viestissä:Xns947F5303BF072stevemailcssemonashe@130 .133.1.4...
> > "Osmo Jauhiainen" <...> wrote in news:
> > :
> >
> > > Hi you all!
> >
> > Ah, yeah ... g'day.
> >

> > > One guy here is going to sell Loop Blueline 9' 6-piece #5-#6
> > > travel rod, hardly used at all, for a reasonable price.
> > > Any opinions about this particular rod?
> >
> > Cast it (with the intended reel and line if possible),
> > if you like it, and if it will do the job you require of it, buy it!
> >

> Thanks, Steve!
> I'm going to visit today the local fishing gear shop, where this
> guy promised to bring the rod. But your testing method is not
> working at this time of the year! We have winter here and the
> snowcover is 15-20 inch thick. Have to keep the rod in my hands and
> wave it inside.
>
> Is there really noone owning this stick or having used it earlier?

Actually, I'd think the snowcover makes it a <perfect> time to test-cast a
rod. When the ground is clear, the only place I can manage to get a good
test cast is on a road, which tears up the flyline, or on a grassy field,
which gunks up the line and snarls the tippet. I'd think laying out a long
line on some nice, clean (and maybe hardpacked) snow would be a very gentle
way to test cast.

--riverman

Osmo Jauhiainen
January 29th, 2004, 03:16 PM
"riverman" > wrote in message

> Actually, I'd think the snowcover makes it a <perfect> time to test-cast a
> rod. When the ground is clear, the only place I can manage to get a good
> test cast is on a road, which tears up the flyline, or on a grassy field,
> which gunks up the line and snarls the tippet. I'd think laying out a long
> line on some nice, clean (and maybe hardpacked) snow would be a very
gentle
> way to test cast.

You're right Myron (or should I say MyRoom?), but it is windy here and
the reel was not attached when I got the rod. I was waving it inside.
Really nice feeling! Lightweight and rather fast action. I liked it!
I was surfing and finding a reference price for a new rod of this type,
about 300 euros.
The guy who is selling this rod told that he was buying it for a spare rod
for Varzina river (Kola peninsula) last august. He told that he was using
it only
a couple of times and landing a trout, size about 3 kilos. He asks 200
euros
for that rod.

I'm going to talk with my son, because he needs also a travel rod.
Will there be a fight? Do I have to search another rod for myself?

OsmoJ

Stephen Welsh
January 29th, 2004, 10:16 PM
"Osmo Jauhiainen" > wrote in news:401923e5$1
@news.dnainternet.net:

> I'm going to talk with my son, because he needs also a travel rod.
> Will there be a fight? Do I have to search another rod for myself?

Aha! A cunning plan presents itself ...

buy the rod (I reckon you should make every effort to cast it even in
the wind ... won't it be windy on occasion when you fish?) Use it
then if you like it keep it, if not present it to your son and hunt
out soemthing better for yourself.

Either way there will be a fight
;-)

Steve

Osmo Jauhiainen
January 30th, 2004, 06:25 AM
"Stephen Welsh" > kirjoitti
viestissä:Xns94805E5A9E51Fstevemailcssemonashe@130 .133.1.4...
> "Osmo Jauhiainen" > wrote in news:401923e5$1
> @news.dnainternet.net:
>
> > I'm going to talk with my son, because he needs also a travel rod.
> > Will there be a fight? Do I have to search another rod for myself?
> >

> Aha! A cunning plan presents itself ...

No fight needed! I will get the rod today and I have made an agreement with
my son.
He will see the rod when he the next time visits home. He may keep it if he
likes
it. And I still have time enough to search a new one for myself. The
fishing season is
starting after months here. There will be ice until May. We are planning
to hike and
fish in Finland's lapland some time during the summer, presumably end of
June or
beginning of July. And I also look forward if I can join the Swedish
lapland clave
in the beginning of August.

OsmoJ

Stephen Welsh
February 9th, 2004, 08:35 PM
"Osmo Jauhiainen" > wrote in news:4027ed6d$1_2
@news.dnainternet.net:

> I'm considering to by a second hand Greys of Alnwick Missionary
> 9' #5 travel rod for myself. Pros and coins?

Con: you will be ribbed about the position you're in while using it. ;-)

Steve

Osmo Jauhiainen
February 10th, 2004, 06:21 AM
"Stephen Welsh" > kirjoitti viestissä
. 1.4...
> "Osmo Jauhiainen" > wrote in news:4027ed6d$1_2
> @news.dnainternet.net:
>
> > I'm considering to by a second hand Greys of Alnwick Missionary
> > 9' #5 travel rod for myself. Pros and coins?
>
> Con: you will be ribbed about the position you're in while using it. ;-)

Psst... Please, Steve, do not tell anybody about these!

Eh... I have not yet decided if I will join the roff clave group in Sweden
next
summer. And what gear I will carry with. I think that it would be better
take only the low price flyfishing set from the local supermarket with me
;-)

OsmoJ

Osmo Jauhiainen
February 13th, 2004, 03:31 PM
My new (read: old) Cray's of Alnwick travel rod arived today!
4-piece 9' #5 type with an aluminium tube. Preliminary waving test showed
that it is a little bit slower in action than the Loop Blueline of my son.
Light weight and
nice. Condition was good althoug it has been in use for longer time.
Next I'll put a reel and a line and test the casting. But now I'm
impatient when waiting for the fishing season to begin!

OsmoJ